A letter to clubs about site prices (1 Viewer)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
To be honest , just why does anyone need to be in any club.
There are thousands of sites and multiple apps to tell you where they are at far less money , I know some will come up with discounts, but why join them just to get your subscription back.
They are a well outdated thing going back to tents and caravans with no facilities, no need for any of that with motorhomes.
What apps are there? The only ones I know of are park4night and searchforsites but the prices are never up to date and they don't show availability?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What apps are there? The only ones I know of are park4night and searchforsites but the prices are never up to date and they don't show availability?
Just Google, campsites , you will be overrun with them.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I'm sure they are acutley aware of the number of non renewals. That said, post covid, there are so many more caravan and motorhome enthusiasts joining they probably don't notice or don't care.

When we write I'm pretty sure it will be the first time they have received a letter representing so many members, I'd like to think that it would carry more weight, but I won't hold my breath.

What we need is an expert who can read and understand their constitutions, you never know that if you can get enough people together maybe people can be deselected via votes. If members can and will vote you out of office you tend to take them more seriously.

Has anyone read the constitutions?
Before the latest CAMC AGM there was scope to vote to select, reselect, unselect exec committee members. I voted to unselect the lot. At the AGM, which was available to view on zoom, they also took a vote which unsurprisingly was to select all nominees. I have yet to find out how the “postal” votes were incorporated. There are supposed to be regional q & a sessions occasionally but I never here anything from “my” region or see anything organised.

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Just Google, campsites , you will be overrun with them.
ah, I thought you meant app when you said app.
Yeah Googles all well but as you rightly say you are overrun with results so I guess another plus for many of those in a club is the convenience of everything listed on one website with the same t and cs overall, rather then finding something on google then finding one site will not charge for dogs, and another will, or some refuse dogs or kids or who knows what.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
ah, I thought you meant app when you said app.
Yeah Googles all well but as you rightly say you are overrun with results so I guess another plus for many of those in a club is the convenience of everything listed on one website with the same t and cs overall, rather then finding something on google then finding one site will not charge for dogs, and another will, or some refuse dogs or kids or who knows what.
I meant overrun with apps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
To be honest , just why does anyone need to be in any club.
There are thousands of sites and multiple apps to tell you where they are at far less money , I know some will come up with discounts, but why join them just to get your subscription back.
They are a well outdated thing going back to tents and caravans with no facilities, no need for any of that with motorhomes.

Perhaps not everyone has your confidence. We joined the clubs when we first got our first, and only, as we like the layout, very old motorhome.

Like knowing the campsite facilities will be of a certain standard;
helpful and knowledgeable staff who have helped us when we have had any technical problems;
backup if need medical help (David had major heart surgery);
mh and personal security;
our on board facilities are very basic, shower space tiny so like using site facilities; like talking to other people

these are a few reasons we still belong to the clubs at the moment, that may change, don’t know.

We all make our choices and are all different. 😄

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here's one to start with
Another one

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
It's very strange in my opinion that the top of the poll is folks on here who are in both clubs and the bottom one is neither.
I would have thought it would have been quite the opposite by a large margin.
Just why are people in both?
Reason for being in both? Been in CAMC for many years. Retain membership because we use CLs . Have got disgruntled with CAMC, not just prices but general way they treat members and their concerns and their appalling communications. So thought we would give CCC a try this year. We have stayed at two CCC club sites and one CS. Their age discount makes their club sites much cheaper. We camp on sites, including Aires where available. We do use independent sites, but being members of the clubs gives us access to Amy more sites. The CAMC has more CLs than the ccc does CSs.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I’m a member of both and as a solo traveller I get a reduced fee. I’m mainly a member as I like online booking and I also use the CLs and THSs. I don’t think either cater for motorhomes as I only need a small pitch and no electric but these aren’t really readily available with the CMC.
Unlike a caravan I don’t need a pitch for my van, awning and a car. The cost of a non awning and awning pitch are the same.

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Here's one to start with

Another one

So neither are apps, both web based and Im already aware of the ukcampsite one and don't use if because its clunky and you cant search the whole uk in one go, you have to go to one area or county at a time.
I was hoping for better with the other one you linked to, but again, nope, you have to search per area / county.
Im sure it's fine for those that only want to go somewhere specific, but when i have a week or two off, Im open to the whole country, hell even other countries and want to cast a wide net and these don't allow that.

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Member of both but to be honest always felt it was a poke in the eye when the caravan club re-branded caravan and motorhome club. I wish there was really a motorhome club that catered for motorhomes.
For example; who wants a basic pitch that they don't need to book 6 months in advance? Motorhome owners...

The most CAMC ever did for a motorhome was starting to put drive over drains in some sites, that's it.
What they really should do in my opinion is set aside some space for more aire style stopping, so if you are passing through and want to stop for 1 or 2 nights this becomes viable. That would be a motorhome club.
Let's not even get into the fact that most sites are in the middle on nowhere and expect you to have a car.

I think what camping-car park is doing in France is a good thing and the prices are reasonable. Only wish we had this in the UK.

As for CAMC prices, I believe they do it because they can, plain and simple. Pretty much every time I look to book they are fully booked mostly everywhere.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Left CMC a few years ago, still in C&CC on a little CL near Swaffham, no facilities except water and elsan lovely peaceful spot £14 pupn with electricity

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Currently only a member of the C&CC but when I started out fulltiming (2011) I was a member of both for several years. I would over-winter on CMC sites as I found them better quality than the C&CC sites. A favourite was Ferry Meadows where as a solo I could stay in winter for £8 per night with 16A hook-up included to run the van's heating and water heating on electric. Once Easter arrived and prices went up, I would be off to CLs, CSs and THSs (plus a fair number of Fun rallies) until winter rates started again. A nice way to do things. Over the years prices started to increase but not to any great extent, and my routine worked well.

Once I was no longer solo and also travelling around Europe in the winter, we were only members of the CMC and used mainly CLs, although we were grateful to be able to use a CMC site during the Covid lockdown period (after an initial tussle :RollEyes: ). After that we spent less time in the UK and switched to the C&CC for their THSs. Our C&CC membership expires next month and as we now live in Slovenia and will rarely be back in the UK, we will not be renewing.

I know ours are not typical circumstances but there is no way we would be paying current site prices at either Club. Many CSs are also over-priced and we would not be using any but the cheapest. THSs are still the main draw of the C&CC but they are becoming fewer in number so much less choice. Overall both Clubs are now poor value IMO, and we will no longer be members of either.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
It's very strange in my opinion that the top of the poll is folks on here who are in both clubs and the bottom one is neither.
I would have thought it would have been quite the opposite by a large margin.
Just why are people in both?
Only 498 responses though, maybe a large number that are in neither are just ignoring this topic as being irrelevant to them?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used to be a member of the CC purely for their CL network. When I get back on the road I will rejoin purely for the CL network. Only used club sites a couple of times when meeting up with other people and don't like them.
Too many people, too regimented, too expensive :p

Last edited:

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The reason we are members of both is that when we had a caravan we did life membership of what is now CAMC. I think that withdrawn many years ago. That gives us CL's without further fees and the initial fee has been recouped many times over. If we had not dome that I doubt we would bother.
Sadly the CCC does not do life memberships so we do their digital sub as we want access to CS small sites.

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I used to be a member of the CC purely for their CL network. When I get back on the road I will rejoin purely for the CL network. Only used club sites a couple of times when meeting up with other people and don't like them.
Too many people, to regimented, too expensive :p
Yes, if you dare park the "wrong way around" end of days will ensue. Depite not having a fixed awning and a car next to you. Total nonsense. I remember one site (can't remember which) ages ago and they turned one person away because their van looked too much like a trade van! bonkers.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Stayed a member of C&CC as THS are good and one tunnel crossing save the fee. But I only pay the old fogey rate of £25.
How do you get an old fogey rate, please?

I get the age concession on sites but can’t see anything about reduced membership 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do you get an old fogey rate, please?

I get the age concession on sites but can’t see anything about reduced membership 🤔
25 years membership and think they have put the qualifying age up to 65 (was 60), they don't publish it anymore you have to contact them. They call it Veteran membership now.
Also you can only have paper membership so you get junk to throw in the recycle bin every month.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
if you dare park the "wrong way around" end of days will ensue
Let's see - I don't think any of the club sites I've stayed on have been particularly bothered whether I drive onto, or reverse in - as long as the 6m space is maintained.
Haven't tried to park diagonally or across a pitch yet.

:rolleyes:

Jan 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1988
Member of both but now only because we can use THS with CCC
and CL's with CAMC.
Used to regularly use the main CAMC sites and always looked forward to a week at Rountree York but prices there (and elsewhere) are now ridiculous !
Have to say I’ve never personally had a problem with any wardens.

Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
I’m a member of both, only joined the CCC recently though. I think the CAMC mid week 50% offer is well worth it. I’ve got 12 nights on 3 sites with EHU and it‘s working out at £16.50 per night. No problems with wardens either, to date.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Is that with 60+ discount at Beadnell bay as when I’ve looked to book, it’s £59.60 to 2 nights midweek for grass non-electric pitch.
Yes, it is. But because they use 'dynamic pricing' there's probably no guarantee that it'll always be that rate. I only booked it a couple of days ago, so it could be that they were trying to sell the vacant pitches.
We've left there now, and are at Durham Rowing Club £25pn with ehu and services. Very pleasant in this weather. Showers and toilets available, but we shan't be using them 😀.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I get what you are saying we like to use the remote farm CL sites and you have to be in the "club" to book in on them. I am a scaredy cat I like the security of these sites and I am always worried of being attacked in the night. I'm afraid I have read far too many Stephen King horror stories:giggle:
I thought you said your hubby was a fitness fanatic who did martial arts? Doesn’t that make you feel secure and safe?

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I thought you said your hubby was a fitness fanatic who did martial arts? Doesn’t that make you feel secure and safe?
Yes, he does kickboxing, circuit training and weight training but that's of no use if you are faced with a gang carrying guns or machetes :think:

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
😄 You need to stop watching all those films, what’s the chance of that happening on a remote CL or any Motorhome site.
I know I always overthink things and worry over stupid stuff:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back