A letter to clubs about site prices (1 Viewer)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 1, 2019
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMCI 680 A Cl
Exp
Since June 20
Have retained the CAMC membership not just for the sites but also some of the membership benefits they offer. Saved £33.60 this morning in Cotswold on walking shoes and 2 tee shirts.
Over the course of the year we can save much more than we pay in membership

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Some folks are advocating the installation of meters. Great idea but could you imagine the cost of installing them on a 100 pitch site. 😱
The Law regarding the resale of Electricity was created in 2005.

18yrs is long enough for both of them to have put in Meters from the profit/rates that they have been screwing
their customers since then.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Didn't renew CAMC this year due to big price increases over last 2 years. Have previously been a member since 2016.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We were with both, but have ditched the CAMC once again, now that visiting family no longer requires a pitch at the nearest Club Site.

We have retained our membership of the C&CC and MCC, purely for Rallies and THS.
There is no way that we would pay these expensive club pitch fees of today, and like others, we don't need EHU or fancy toilets and showers. We just need somewhere firm and safe to park up for the night.

In Spain and Portugal, from January through to March of this year, the most we paid on a premium site, was €21.50 per night, which included EHU.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
We have Been members of both clubs for many years giving us many options of where to stay. However over the last few years we have found the prices exorbitant and have started using Premier Sites and found some beautiful sites for less than the clubs. These sites are all beautifully maintained and we have felt valued as customers. Most of the Caravan & Motorhome Club sites need updating. C & MC site at Cirencester before we arrived at Newbury were even turning the bollard lights off at night to save electricity which was difficult if you were on pitches a distance way from facilities.

With regard to the use of the facilities it seemed very odd that whereas in previous years there was always a queue for the showers in the mornings especially at the ladies, this year it was non existent every day and I seemed to be the only person using them. Occasionally a door could be heard opening and closing which was quite eerie especially as the site was full. Obviously many people are happy to pay the price and not use the facilities.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Hve been members of both since 2007 but cancelled them all this year. Last year we did a three month trip around the UK and only stayed three times in them. Private sites were generally much cheaper.
Could you add another category to your poll asking how many people have left? Might make them think this is serious.

Aug 8, 2019
Chichester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2019
We stopped at Wyatts Covert (CAMC) on the way to the Peterborough show in April and it was £38.30 for the two of us. On the way back we looked at a CAMC site near Oxford, can't remember which one, and they wanted £43, we eventually stopped at a lovley CL at Bourton on the Water 2m from a lake for £26 including EHU.
CAMC are introducing KWH meters on their sites supposedly reducing their prices and punters paying for their actual useage, they had them at Wyatts Covert but were not in use.
The ridiculously high CAMC prices this year are making us look for cheaper options as a matter of principle.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Very rarely use the club sites because of the cost but we do make a lot of use of the CS / CL networks which is why we remain members.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Earlier in the year we visited Henley.

CAMC and independent (Swiss Farm) are next to each other. About the same price. CAMC is very run down. Independent had fully serviced, Restaurant on site, Immaculate facilities, Bigger pitches, Very large dog walk, Big field for children to play in. The independent is even closer to the town centre.

We'll return to Swiss Farm.

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Member of both clubs and use the sites regularly. Pre to post Covid I’d say prices are up 20 to 25%, 2 people staying on a hard standing pitch with ehu. Prices of hotels , which I stayed on for work, had gone up by similar amounts.

So whilst I think the prices are looking expensive, don’t think it’s more so than other costs, price of a pint of milk has doubled over the same period!
Where do you buy your milk

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
Membership on both sites.
For us it’s all to do with location and weather.
With 2 rug rats we go where it’s Not raining!!

CCF2E411-2B3B-479F-87F1-C7D3FF70D8DC.jpeg

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Member of both, primarily for CL's/THS. Haven't used a CAMC site for three years. Ridiculous prices.
oops. Blame it on a slow connection.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
We have been members of both clubs for 27 years this time and previous to that we had a 10 year spell so that's a total of 37 years. At one time they were always our first choice of where to look for a site but in recent years we have found private sites much cheaper.
We have recently had a few weeks at a couple of all singing and dancing sites for a fraction of what the CAMC charge. The CAMC in particular I feel are deliberately driving prices higher and higher in fact it reminds me of the surge in Marina prices years ago where they said we will put prices up until the pips squeak well the pips are well and truly squeaking. We have now decided that the CAMC is no longer value for money and when our membership runs out we will be cancelling

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
As a solo it's generally been cheaper to use the main sites of the 2 big clubs as 5 pitch sites and independents usually charge for 2 people . I'm reasonably happy with the C&CC as I get the old biddy discount and they sometimes have other offers but the C&MC are becoming much too expensive. It's years since I went into a toilet block and I'm always careful with electricity usage..The only reason I'm still in the C&MC is I like the racecourse sites but they are like affiliated sites and some members complain they're "not up to standard".

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
There are some minor perks like the 20% discount in Mountain Warehouse for CAMC members. So if you spent about £275 in there your discount would cover your CAMC annual membership. Probably unlikely thata many members would spend that much but it's a way of getting some of your fee back if you buy a coat, walking boots etc. I think you can get a supermarket discount card as well but we already have one of those through my wife's trade union
Mountain Warehouse discounts are readily available all over the net. At the moment you can get 20% discount using the word 'HIKE'.

Feb 28, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 175
Exp
Whilst we are members of both clubs, I don't believe that they can be described as clubs any longer.

They are Money making Companies.

What have fixed camping pods got to do with Camping/Caravaning/Motorhomes?

We use them purely for access to the small sites and rallies.

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Loft
Exp
Since 2020
We were members of the CAMC for the ”local” Castleton Site, unfortunately apart from 1 occasion, have not been able to get any availability. Also useful for the Blackhorse Farm site for Eurotunnel.
A CCC pitch on our favourite St Neots site at the end of July into August 2023 with membership discount would cost £37/night.

Jan 2, 2023
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 684FB
Exp
Since 1998
CAMC member since 2006 only really use the CL sites
Some of these have increased in price but still bargains to be found spent last week in north Devon cheapest was £6 most expensive £12 no hook up basic sites and mostly with hard standings in beautiful countryside will continue with my membership just for the CL

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have been in CCC for some years, mainly for the discount in the New Forest. Now they are no longer running it we will probably cancel as we dont go anywhere else in the UK

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
in what way, I havent seen it
It’s in the April magazine. The general gist is that they’re reducing pitch fees by £2 but in the faq when asked about cost of electric it just says they pay a commercial rate. I believe most commercial rates are about 70p per kw so won’t take long to burn through £2 worth. In the winter it probably costs them about £10 per night but is about half that if not less in the summer so £2 is very much in their favour. They say it’s a trial but would think it will turn into some sort of reality if it favours them. There are other things like registering with sage pay every time you plug in which isn’t good for people who take their vans out several times a day.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I do tend to use the CAMC sites in the U.K. but recent price hikes are making me reconsider this approach. Most of our camping has been in the EU though.

Just got back from 55 nights camping on sites in Spain, including Easter, with a night at Winchester Morn on way out £30.60 and one at Rookesbury Park £39.10 on the way back. Including these we spent £959 on site fees working out at £17.44 a night.

In a new van with much better solar I was keen to know how much electric I used. On the ACSI sites I never paid for any extra above the 4kw per day. On one fully charged for electric camper stop at 60c/kWh I paid a total of 1.10€ for the 7 nights! so I don’t use lots of electric and I’ve just bought a gas kettle 😜

I have just checked 20 night availability at CAMC Moreton in Marsh for mid June and it quoted over £800, £40 a night.

Last August & September I toured Scotland. Just checked some comparison dates for CAMC sites we stayed at, Strathclyde Country Park £34.90 now £37.50. Dunnet Bay £30.00 now £34.40. Morvich £30.20 now £34.60.

Not as easy to check the private site prices now but Glenn Nevis was £33.20 now £34.50. Portree on Skye was £29.00 and is still the same price now. Holme Valley Holmfirth was £53 the 2 night weekend now £59. The whole 40 nights camp sites averaged at £27.40 a night. So CAMC increases are more than the private ones.

This gives my perspective Jim on personal facts

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Dear Club Sites and CLs stop charging what you need to in order to stay in business, yours sincerely, another business owner struggling. (not a caravan site owner btw)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We dropped CAMC membership last year, because we were no longer prepared to pay their prices.
We're still CCC members. Currently at Beadnell Bay site £22 pn, non-electric grass pitch. Pitches with ehu were £42 pn. Site is in a great location.
Moving on from here to THS's at Ruswarp and Flamborough for a few nights each.
The THS's make membership worthwhile for us.
We're not missing the CAMC at all, and I don't envisage we'll ever rejoin.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back