A letter to clubs about site prices (2 Viewers)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
introduction of metered electric will be the final straw for many winter campers.
this is where I see the benefit, giving people the choice.

If the only ones that stop being members are the ones that try to heat an "awning room" all night with the heaters on ehu then the club will be quids in.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have been members of ccc for about ten years but have now cancelled it as for the last 4 years we have only kept it so that Julie could take her granddaughter to the bonfire meet but she has grown out of it now so finally we have give up on it.
To be honest I can't remember when we last used them apart from this and at the rediculas prices we wouldn't be using them again.
Problem is if everyone gives up on them the odd free or reasonable places we have now are going to be overrun.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We joined the CCC this year for the first time because we were getting fed up with the CAMC which we have been members of for years. We virtually never use CAMC Club sites because of cost. Even there no facilities sites like Thetford have rocked in price because they have changed their pricing structure. It used to be less than £20 a night, not any more. The pricing structure is also far too complex prices varying between weekends, and from week to week. You have to do a dummy booking to find the price. Also virtually no none electric pitches. Becomes very expensive when you don’t use toilet blocks. We retain the membership for CLs.
We have just completed a seven night tour of SW Scotland. Within that we spent two nights at Culzean Castle and two nights at Moffat CCC sites. One was £24.50 a night the other £26 a night. Both hard standing, electric. However, that was with the age discount. It makes a big difference. For reference, other sites were a non electric CS at £18, an electric CL at £20, both on grass, CAMPRA aire at £8
It would be useful if the CCC extended their non electric pitches to hard standing.
We preferred the CCC sites to the CAMC sites. Although pitches were in lines, they didn’t seem nearly as precise and regiments. Despite both sites being 80% full, dog barking was not an issue, which to seems so often to be at CAMC sites.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We are members of both but tend to use CAMC sites. Yes, they have gone up but not terrifically in our opinion compared with every thing else. A bag of coal before B, covid and Ukraine used to cost £8 the same thing now costs £15 as an example .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
What about private site prices in the U.K., I am sure they would have put all there prices up also because of the price of electric etc. I priced up two in Devon where I lived and know the sites and in peak time both were about £55-£65 per night for two adults.
I’ve just booked two separate stays at an independent site with excellent facilities. The increase per night since I last visited 18 months ago is £4 a night. I think that’s pretty reasonable!

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Have belonged to CAMC for years, mainly for CLs. Joined CCC this year. CAMC site pricing difficult to understand and sometimes ridiculously expensive for just one person. Even CLs and CSs seem much dearer this year. However I booked a ferry to Ireland last week, negligible benefit with CAMC but virtually got my membership fee back by going with CCC.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I joined both a couple of years ago, after travelling without being a member of either for several years. The main reason was for the CL/CS sites. However, the only time I really used them was when I had a problem with the van and needed hookup for a couple of weeks before it was fixed.
I’ll be dropping my CMC membership at my next renewal. I use a couple of CCC sites/CS’s but I’m not really convinced that it’s worth the membership fee for the type of solo touring I do. I can see my CCC membership going south the year after my CMC.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We stayed at Crowborough C&CC site last week, £24.70 a night with old folks discount which I thought was reasonable. I also avoid the overpriced sites.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have stopped renewal of my CAMC membership because of the higher site fees and lack of choice around EHU versus No EHU. Ove4 the last 3 months we have visited a number of CL/ CS sites that have metered Electric and we have never used more than £1.30 worth of Electric per night, that’s with a fan heater and oil filled radiator in the cooler months. So I suspect that the £5 per night that many sites charge when not metered has an element of profiteering or cross subsidy fir people who like to heat their awnings or charging their cars etc!.

I have asked CAMC to comment on their EHU charging and as usual I got a blank ‘no comment’ from a staffer.
Even better, unlike most businesses that take pride in keeping their customers happy and are keen to get feedback, when I cancelled my D/D I got a very unfriendly business like letter advising me of my error and to contact them ‘if I wanted to arrange alternative arrangements for payment’
I rang them to tell them I would not be renewing and with being given the chance to explain why, the lady just said’OK bye then ‘ 🙀🙀 and put the ph9ne down on me 🤣

Personally, I would like the option to not pay for EHU but I suspect CAMC will not be investing in meters any time soon which I think is short sighted.

Last edited:

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Member of both clubs and use the sites regularly. Pre to post Covid I’d say prices are up 20 to 25%, 2 people staying on a hard standing pitch with ehu. Prices of hotels , which I stayed on for work, had gone up by similar amounts.

So whilst I think the prices are looking expensive, don’t think it’s more so than other costs, price of a pint of milk has doubled over the same period!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have been a member of both for more years than I care to remember..
Very rarely use sites and like a lot of Funsters stay for the use of THS's and CL/CS's.
However I would like to add that the reason I do not use sites is because of the two clubs reluctance/inability to allow hardstanding pitches and not use leccy.....I Don't Want Or Need Leccy.
Some will say you can get non leccy pitchs, yes there are a few but they are predominantly grass pitchs and tucked out the way pitches.
They state reason its illegal to resell electric..... maybe so..... BUT plenty of independents sites do it and get away with it.... I don't recall ever hearing any cases of they getting fined for doing so.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Been a member of CAMC for 23 years but only use a small number of sites. If they didn’t have Rowntree park open in the winter probably wouldn’t bother as can find alternatives for others cheaper. In the last few years it’s become more take than give & the introduction of metered electric will be the final straw for many winter campers.
Blimey, From 25 quid a night in winter, 37 -39 quid a night most of the time from now until October! Madness.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry, I can’t comment directly on price rises on the two major Clubs but we stayed on the Municipal site in Rennes this week which would put any Club site to shame. Much more spacious with no feeling of being crammed in, immaculately maintained including showers and toilets and 26€ pn for two persons and 16 amp EHU.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
1. CMC Black Knowl, New Forest
£19.40 per night March 2015 - 2 adults, standard pitch with awning EHU

*£51.80 per night August 2023 - 2 adults, standard pitch with awning EHU

2. CMC Hillhead
£32.00 per night June 2021 - 2 adults standard pitch with awning EHU

should be £45.00 per night June 2023 - 2 adults, serviced pitch
20% discount offer = £36.00 per night

1. Not true comparison as March compared to August.
* Would not normally pay this price but arranged with 2 other families.

Very rarely use C&CC as their sites not usually located conveniently for us.

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Im CAMC for 2 years now and will likely renew which is due next month. Mainly for the discounts, pretty much paid for itself and we do use the odd site though quite rare and usually only if we decide on a weeks off grid to go get some "luxury" and use cdp and top up with water etc plus use the ehu to save a nights gas etc.
I aim for CLs though as they are better VFM

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
this is where I see the benefit, giving people the choice.

If the only ones that stop being members are the ones that try to heat an "awning room" all night with the heaters on ehu then the club will be quids in.
Not always the case, we stayed on Rowntree park 3 times in December & January when the temperatures were below zero & used the heating on gas/electric mix just to keep warm so not much at the clubs expense. There are not many caravans in winter & very few awnings on Motorhomes. The price was average £50 & we paid it grudgingly. Have a look at their proposals for metering trials which are heavily weighted in their favour. If they’re trying to alienate people they’re doing a good job.

DT

Dec 27, 2020
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Boats Caravans & Motorhomes for 25 years
We always use CAMC plus a couple of others. £40 per night seems to be my maximum before I grumble. My wife refuses to stay anywhere other than a site with facilities.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Camc for me only because I do a couple of holiday rallies a year

Jun 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner lyseo 590
Exp
March 2022
As relative newbies we joined CAMC .. used their sites and have used their CL’s too … it’s all down to personal choice surely?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Stayed a member of C&CC as THS are good and one tunnel crossing save the fee. But I only pay the old fogey rate of £25.
Exactly the same for us. We only use rallies and THS so worth the £25pa. CSs generally have risen a lot.

Just wish the club sites would offer more non electric pitches and then might use them. We don't need electric.

Mar 30, 2022
Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A white and grey one
Exp
Tugging since I could drive, now joining the dark side 😁😉
We like many others have a foot in each camp so to speak, but, don't/won't use their sites unless backed into a corner, we prefer to use THS, rallies, meets. We do use CL's or CS's when the price is reasonable.

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
We like the predictability of facilities and standards not used much since Covid started then family commitments.
Tended to use peak district sites for 4 day walking breaks.
Prices do seem to be going up but that seems to be ripoff Britain

Use discount on Ferry and 15% Mountain warehouse.

Not impressed with the push for corporate stuff never have felt a nice warm club feeling bit since rebranding exercise I think gone corporate mad and lost the friendly feel

Still paying my fee and expect to get back on to sites soon when time allows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back