A letter to clubs about site prices (1 Viewer)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes, he does kickboxing, circuit training and weight training but that's of no use if you are faced with a gang carrying guns or machetes :think:
He sounds like an ideal sort of guy to have around Gina, but TBH, how many incidents of MH'ers parked up "off site", and being attacked by gangs brandishing guns and machetes are you actually aware of......................seriously? :(

Whilst constantly aware of our own personal security, especially when wild camping, we have never contemplated the above scenario................ever.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Yes, he does kickboxing, circuit training and weight training but that's of no use if you are faced with a gang carrying guns or machetes :think:
Shit where are you staying? I’d be more worried about someone breaking in and ravishing me with a chocolate gateaux, not that I’d mind that but who’s going to clean up the sodding ness? :giggle:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
W
He sounds like an ideal sort of guy to have around Gina, but TBH, how many incidents of MH'ers parked up "off site", and being attacked by gangs brandishing guns and machetes are you actually aware of......................seriously? :(

Whilst constantly aware of our own personal security, especially when wild camping, we have never contemplated the above scenario................ever.

Cheers,

We’ve only had 2 Jock since 2007, once in Holland a place called Schiedam, parked up next to a canal with a lovely French Motorhome, with windmills all around, middle of the night 2 drunks banging on the side of our vans.

We were told later that Schiedam isn’t the best area.

Sh1t ourselves with the noise, I was out chasing them in just my pants. The French couple drive off straight away, we saw them at Gouda 2 days later.

Another time parked up at Alde UK a load of travellers were shouting, riding up and down on motorbikes and set fire to a caravan.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Another time parked up at Alde UK a load of travellers were shouting, riding up and down on motorbikes and set fire to a caravan.
Wellingborough by any chance Paul? The area is notoriously known for Dids. :(

We too had an incident, but only the one, when we stopped off at a recognised MH stopover at Lochwinnoch Park in Renfrewshire. Like yourselves, it was young lads having a laugh by banging on the rear bedroom window.......................but it didn't half make the old heart miss a couple of beats. :whatthe: .......................... :LOL:

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
24 Years
im on a site in Northen Spain and its 31 Euros. But for that we get direct access to a fantastic beech, swimming pool, tennis courts, bar restaurant, shop and immaculate shower blocks, that do not close. 24 hours a day. Bargain

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I’m a member of both, only joined the CCC recently though. I think the CAMC mid week 50% offer is well worth it. I’ve got 12 nights on 3 sites with EHU and it‘s working out at £16.50 per night. No problems with wardens either, to date.
That 50% off, with typical CAMC obfuscation, is only off the pitch fee I think you'll find.
Currently on a site with bar/snacks, pool, a proper kids playground for the equivalent of £17.50. No "dog walk" though as the site isn't part of the provisional wing of the Kennel Club.

Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
That 50% off, with typical CAMC obfuscation, is only off the pitch fee I think you'll find.
Currently on a site with bar/snacks, pool, a proper kids playground for the equivalent of £17.50. No "dog walk" though as the site isn't part of the provisional wing of the Kennel Club.
Yes, they do make that clear when booking online. I think it’s still a quite good deal though. I tend to spend a lot of time off site anyway, so not too fussed about other amenities.

missmollie

Free Member
Jul 30, 2008
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Knaus SUN TI
Exp
since 2006
Cancelled our CMC auto renewal, still keeping CCC for the THS but may cancel this yet. Don’t tend to stay in the UK now I am retired.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Anyone checked the average price of a pint recently ? In April 2019 it was £3.73 April 2023 it was £4.54

Bread sugar and cheese has increased between 30 and 40%

In the context of food energy cost of housing cost of new MoHo‘’a possibly not

I assume that the increased costs deal with past increased in operating costs and planning near future costs which means that may not be putting up prices quite so often as they may have needed to.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Anyone checked the average price of a pint recently ? In April 2019 it was £3.73 April 2023 it was £4.54

Bread sugar and cheese has increased between 30 and 40%

In the context of food energy cost of housing cost of new MoHo‘’a possibly not

I assume that the increased costs deal with past increased in operating costs and planning near future costs which means that may not be putting up prices quite so often as they may have needed to.
Food prices have gone up similarly all over Europe but Beer, wine and campsite prices haven't only in the UK.

Gyro

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleep KemertonXL
Exp
since 2003
Can’t be bothered going continental just too much faffing about and now have no passport anyway. Plenty to see and do in UK if you’re not tetchy about the weather. However, I do have one burning question. Where do all the patriotic motorhomers pitch up if prices over here are so exorbitant (please do tell) we pitched on a private site at Dunwich last weekend @ £21 inc electric (concession rate) this coming weekend it goes up to £42 for the summer and more per night for awnings dogs and kids. Some other private sites are more. I have a friend with a basic site £7 per unit per night, electric hookup is £8 per night. There is a toilet but no shower. What more does anyone need?

Aug 27, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Nuevo called Mabel
Exp
newbie learning fast and sometimes the hard way
Been a member of CAMC since purchased MH in 2019, have generally stayed on their sites, couple of favourites in locations that suit us that we have stayed multiple times normally 3 days mid week. Prices have gone up, especially since they appear to have introduced dynamic pricing. On average these favourites have gone up by £11 per night. This year we have booked a mixture of Club sites, more CL sites an now more often private independent sites and these work out cheaper. Club sites are now frequently £35 - 40 a night!! I know costs have gone up but this now gets to be a breaking point for booking them. The club seems to say it energy costs etc have increased, but the lights in the blocks are on 24 hours a day, the heating in the blocks are on and recently windows open as well. Why not have motion sensors in the blocks and save some money. We more than cover the cost of membership with retail saving over a year.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Member of both. I use CAMC for their breakdown with green flag and usually book my ferry through them.

I can be we get availability for weekend stays on club sites no matter if I set my alarm clock for a booking system going live.
I still work and stuck with school holidays.

CL’s usually require a car as they’re normally away from a centre or beach.

I think it will die a death in this country and the clean air zones targeting a camper or motorhome that’s used so infrequent will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I’ve not heard from either club about asking members to lobby. Why? Because one is Ames at caravanners who have a car s as no the other at campers with a car. Both of which currently don’t get penalised by most councils.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Where do all the patriotic motorhomers pitch up if prices over here are so exorbitant (please do tell)
As already mentioned in previous posts, Rallies, Meets, Temporary Holiday Sites, (THS), CLs, CSs, Brit Stops, Pub Stops, etc, etc.

For example, we are at Swaffham this weekend with a whole bunch of others, for around £10 - £12 per night, with toilets, showers, and a bar available.
After medical appointments at home, we are then off to Bakewell for a 7 x day Rally, again, £10. - £12 per night.

It's been at least 3 x years now since we stayed on a UK Campsite, and only because we were forced to at the time, due to family commitments.

HTH,

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
Can't believe the prices being charged by CAMHC now. I have been quoted £40 plus. We are currently in France on a five star site, 5 swimming pools, flumes, free golf, patanque, tennis, yoga etc. Electric and water on every pitch and superb sanitary facilities. All for £18 a night. Come on CAMHC I won't be renewing next year.

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I'm in both the subs are on auto renew, but I've realised we rarely go to club sites. I'm probably going to cancel both next year.

Apr 13, 2022
Salisbury, UK
Funster No
MH
chausson
Exp
I’m a newbie
I haven’t noticed an increase in CCC prices - I stayed at Norman’s bay and Canterbury at the time of the coronation bank holiday. I paid less than £20 a night fir hard standing with electricity (ACR rates). I left CAMC not for the prices but for the regimentation. On researching various campsites it seems to me that many of the private sites are massively increasing their charges. I think you make your choice and pays your money. I love vanlife because of the freedom it gives me but as a solo traveller with dog I feel more secure parked on a ‘proper’ site.

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
Was a CAMC member until this year
Pitch inflation was one of three reasons I didn't renew

Castleton
April 2019 = £11.70/nt
Jan 2023 = £23/nt

Nearly 100% in less than 4 years :ouch:
What were the other two reasons? That’s a shocking increase . Plus they introduced cancellation fees & deposits

Oct 19, 2017
Funster No
CCC still reasonable midweek when OAP rate can be used. CAMC have just priced themselves out of the market for us so we will avoid at all costs but will probably remain as members in the hope that they see sense. Since COVID we are much more relaxed about using CLs and our own facilities. Also in many ways CLs are a more relaxing option.

Jim and Marilyn

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
last year we spent about 52 nights away, about 40 of which were CMC sites, this suited us as I was having lots of medical appointments and could cancel without loss of deposits.

this year so far we have spent around 15 nights away, at CCC sites or camping in the forest t site, both of which are reasonable and give discount to oap's

we are stoping at CMC over the forthcoming bank holiday but only because 1: its where are kids/grandkids are going 2: I want to use my cmc wifi refund voucher from last year after that, I don't think I will use them much, and look towards possibly cancelling my membership

Kevan Gibbings

Free Member
May 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Compass 185
We were going to go to the CAMC site at Cirencester (which is a lovely site and a short walk into the park) last week until I found out it was £38/night, just too expensive and its not even high season yet. Seriously thinking about weather to ditch our membership this year.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
C&m club. Just had 3 weeks in Scotland checking prices as we went. Average £40 popular sites but off peak.
Absolutely no chance we were paying that amount 21 nights would be £840.
Wild camping and we ate out more than usual with the savings.
As a side to the main clubs. Kirkcudbright swimming pool now has 5 pitches last year £10 now 50% increase. £15. We stayed free by the football pitch along with several others not many (2) used the paid parking.
Just greed. Considering they have something like 140 solar panels on the roof surely they can’t blame the rising cost of electricity. Anyway they had less vans than last year using it at £10 it was always full

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 540
Exp
Since 2020
Yes, if you dare park the "wrong way around" end of days will ensue. Depite not having a fixed awning and a car next to you. Total nonsense. I remember one site (can't remember which) ages ago and they turned one person away because their van looked too much like a trade van! bonkers.
I've stayed on dozens of sites over the last three years, including many CAMC sites, and I've never had any problem with parking the "wrong way round". In fact, the only times we were told to park a particular way round was on a couple of independent sites. I think the "wrong way round" problem on CAMC sites is now an urban myth!!

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 540
Exp
Since 2020
We've just got back from a fortnight in Scotland. Our choice is to mainly stay on sites that have EHU and facilities, but we're not fixed about that. I'm sure we could find cheaper sites if we looked hard enough, but with less certainty about what we were going to get. We're members of both clubs.

Sites with hardstanding, EHU and toilets/showers unless stated otherwise. Two adults, total price per night:

Bunree (CAMC): £39.20, site full (and was full as we passed on the way back)
Fidden Farm, Mull (independent): £24, no EHU, grass. Great site, busy. Full is not a concept that applies!
Tobermory, Mull (independent): £28, site full Sat. Couple of spaces Sun/Mon.
Sunnyside Croft, Morar (independent): £38, site full
Skye Camping, Broadford (independent): £33, site full
Kinlochewe (CAMC): £30.20, site full
Morvich (CAMC): £34.60, site full
Strathclyde (CAMC): £32.30, site about 70% full

All of the sites were of a good standard for what we were paying for.

So I don't really see the CAMC sites being much out of line with other alternatives for comparable facilities. Bunree is expensive, but it is very popular because of its location. For the independents, Sunnyside Croft is a comparable price, but they've spent a lot of money recently upgrading the facilites on their site and somebody has to pay for that.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
im on a site in Northen Spain and its 31 Euros. But for that we get direct access to a fantastic beech, swimming pool, tennis courts, bar restaurant, shop and immaculate shower blocks, that do not close. 24 hours a day. Bargain
31eu...that's expensive.... we are sat on a site on the Algarve... 3 swimming pools, restaurants, bar, shop, cafe, 3 tennis courts, 18.50eu a night but only 14.50eu for us as we don't need EHU..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back