A letter to clubs about site prices (2 Viewers)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Thankfully we are all different of what we want.This is your opinion of what you want. Many members, myself included, want a decent pitch,with hook up and decent facilities.
Which you can find in France for half the price.....

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Same here …now sitting on an independent site outside Ely Cambridgeshire with ehu, full services, free WiFi , visiting food vans , onsite pub for £22 pn on a bank holiday weekend …..go figure…
P
Ok, but which independent?

Last edited:
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Where in the Vendee? We used to spend each summer there and stayed at some cracking sites....
Left Batz sur mer yesterday day. Very windy🤣🤣now at la flotte. Then on to Saumur.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Beautiful day in La flotte today spent most of it dodging the sun. 19 euros a night or nothing for the FLT’S 100 yds up the road. Been coming for 11 years & still as good.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have 10 days free in early July and I'm seriously thinking of just hopping over to France as it would be cheaper, we normally do long vacations but I'm not sure I can face the way we have to plan our holiday in the uk like we own a caravan.
Absolutely Gareth & Phillip/Philip. (y)

There are so many lovely Aires in towns and villages, plus any France Passion locations, vineyards, chateaus, etc, etc, as well as the opportunity to pick up some of you favourite wines.....................again. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It’s a platinum pitch, the drive way is located just by the pond and has a small calm slow flowing river (no sewerage) just sparkling water suitable for Ducks, the pond has fresh duckweed in prime condition. For members of the duck family who may like the odd 75cl bottle of Bollinger this can be supplied at £75

Parking on the drive way is a steal at £150 per night it’s a concierge service, you pull up we plug your lead in, open the grey tap your grey waste will just empty in to the gully and water our plants. The Black waste you can dispose of in the black waste point. A personal Chef is available at extra cost along with a house keeper their daily charges are extra but worth every penny. Should you also wish a butler to prepare coffees etc they are also available at a reasonable charge.

When would you like to book for and once we agree a date I can send a payment link so you can pay upfront and none of us will have any worries, oh just one point none of the upfront costs are refundable.

Bargain! Super-excellent for any passing Duck. (y)

Mister_G

Free Member
Jul 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Was a CAMC member until this year
Pitch inflation was one of three reasons I didn't renew

Castleton
April 2019 = £11.70/nt
Jan 2023 = £23/nt

Nearly 100% in less than 4 years :ouch:
Try £25.50 at the mo for 1 person. For a couple it’s £37 a night and the cheek to have raised it to £45.70 for the bank holiday weekend!

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
Just come back from Cornwall. Sites are quiet in Fowey - Falmouth area. Interesting pricing. Site one: tap and disposal £24 per night, CL. Site two: independent £21 per night. Great showers and hook up. Fabulous Site with sea views. Site three: very basic shower and loo no hook up £25.

Price jumps are cheeky. Charging high unless the owner is down to earth and not a rip off merchant.

Dec 22, 2021
Gillingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer 2.5 d
Exp
Since 2009
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
I’m in CCC and haven’t noticed any increase in site fees so far this season. I do benefit from aged person discount and usually qualify for either Midweek or Grass pitch discounts. Just had 5 nights at East Horsley Club site for £
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks

Sep 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T494
Exp
4 weeks!
Although we belong to both clubs wecwill be dropping the Camping & Motorhome club this summer when it runs out. They are too expensive and we only use the CS & CL's from both clubs, most don't care if you are a member or not.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Although we belong to both clubs wecwill be dropping the Camping & Motorhome club this summer when it runs out. They are too expensive and we only use the CS & CL's from both clubs, most don't care if you are a member or not.
We used a CS and a CL earlier this month and both asked for our membership number.

Reactions: hja
Oct 25, 2021
Stisted, Essex
Funster No
MH
Cipro 85
Exp
Since 2005
We were members of both clubs a few years ago, then dropped one as we did not use it as pitch prices hiked up unexplainably, this year will not be renewing the other.
Main reason cost of sites, the increases and more rules than their should be, we joined the caravanners and MH fraternity for fun and relaxation with like minded people, not to pitch up and spend a week adjusting to some little Jobsworth's interpretation of the rules. We now just find sites with no affiliation to the clubs, and if we make a mistake its down to us, and we can move on without much loss.
But paying through the clubs and greasing some administrators palms with silver is not my idea of what the freedom and fun of being on the road is all about, sad to see it going that way but greed brings out the very worst in people, and to be honest we all lost something in the pandemic, but we should not now be paying through the nose to fill someone else's pockets with our cash.
Yes all prices rise, but to the percentage extent we are being expected to pay, it is certainly not on, and I hope the greedy B's soon fall foul of their need for greed.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Just cancelled my cmc they said on the phone thanks for being a member for the last 15 yrs bye and that was that ,
I've just called and cancelled direct debit when it runs out in July.

Very nice lady on the phone. Very apologetic that we feel the need to cancel. I requested to give feedback and that it is passed on as to why we have cancelled after nearly 30 years and proceeded to give my reasons.

She said all calls are recorded and she will forward this to the relevant person.

Away tomorrow for 100 nights. :france: 10 days here then 90 in Europe.

5* site booked for 3 weeks in August in SW France direct beach access 30 euros p/n. The rest will be mostly wandering around free aires and Camping Car Park aires.

If you don't like it. Leave it.

Happy to rejoin if they change to a more motorhome friendly model. I won't hold my breath.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I think one issue is the fact that, when both the CCC and the CAM were ‘clubs’, they were run for members.

Now they are multi million pound businesses.
And every time I go to the Nec shows I tell them that, but, they don't give a sheet!

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
But it’s not half price if you take into account the tunnel and if you have dogs that cost also.
Cost me £440 for the tunnel with the pups included!
Ok for a longer trip but not shorter ones….
Ahh, you see, we never use the tunnel as it is too expensive and puts miles on our journey, the ferry from Newhaven does us nicely and can cost a very modest sum . We don't have dogs....we usually pay around £80.00 each way so not very much, probably the equivalent of 3 nights in an extortionate campsite in the UK...

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
I've just called and cancelled direct debit when it runs out in July.

Very nice lady on the phone. Very apologetic that we feel the need to cancel. I requested to give feedback and that it is passed on as to why we have cancelled after nearly 30 years and proceeded to give my reasons.

She said all calls are recorded and she will forward this to the relevant person.

Away tomorrow for 100 nights. :france: 10 days here then 90 in Europe.

5* site booked for 3 weeks in August in SW France direct beach access 30 euros p/n. The rest will be mostly wandering around free aires and Camping Car Park aires.

If you don't like it. Leave it.

Happy to rejoin if they change to a more motorhome friendly model. I won't hold my breath.
Sounds fab, have a great time!

Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
Left Batz sur mer yesterday day. Very windy🤣🤣now at la flotte. Then on to Saumur.
Yeah, but Batz isn't exactly the Vendee, it's Loire Atlantique. We used to stay at various places between Bretignolles and Jard Sur Mer....hope you enjoy the rest of your trip .

Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
I think one issue is the fact that, when both the CCC and the CAM were ‘clubs’, they were run for members.

Now they are multi million pound businesses.
but clubs designed for tents and caravans, not self contained M/H's with people who stay for a week or two not just overnight. until one or other changes their approach to cater mainly for motorhomes we will see no change

nickq

Free Member
Jun 27, 2016
berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I get that. But right on the river, mainline station walkable, 2 fantastic pubs nearby, bank holiday weekend, good luck finding a similar site much cheaper.
Lymington CCC THS. Pubs nearby, town short walk, train short walk. £10 per night for the bank holiday weekend.
THS are the best option for a motorhome in the UK imo. (Unless the grass is saturated!)

Sep 28, 2021
West Lothian, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner LyseoTD690G
Exp
Since 2019
Wow this thread has generated some responses

Currently a member of both but have found ourselves using more caravan parks and private sites which seem to offer us more value. I don't mind paying when the facilities are nice but so many of the toilet / shower facilities especially on CAMC sites are just lacking investment.

My wife went with 2 friends for a Friday / Saturday night in the Moho to Melrose CAMC club, my wife being a member and her two friends being guests and the cost was £110 for 2 nights. The previous weekend we were at Maragowan at £70.20 for two of us for Friday / Saturday, Maragowan has always been a goto site for us but seems they don't even bother to cut the grass there now and the toilets cleaning seemed to involve adding new toilet paper.

Our recent weekends off sites have included Nethercraig - £68, Ardtower - £70, Greenacres - £58, Oakwood - £54, Mossyard - £42 and whilst some of these are not significantly less in price the experience was just much nicer, very well kept and maintained, some offering food / drink options and most important for us, clean toilet / showering facilities.

As we find ourselves using more non club sites I may review at least one membership.

Feb 19, 2023
France the Pyrenees
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 2002
Exp
Newby to Motorhome but not to traveling, caravaning and camping
Have not joined a UK based ‘club’ yet, but intend to do so next year when we do a grand tour of the UK. However, reading comments about a similar association in France, on vlogs, there are similar increases on French sites, and lesser quality sites being given to club subscribers. When questioned by bloggers about this they were told the Association has been increasing costs to the sites.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Maragowan has always been a goto site for us but seems they don't even bother to cut the grass there now
The CAMC is taking part in “No Mow May” which is an annual campaign to allow plants and nature to thrive.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Wow this thread has generated some responses

Currently a member of both but have found ourselves using more caravan parks and private sites which seem to offer us more value. I don't mind paying when the facilities are nice but so many of the toilet / shower facilities especially on CAMC sites are just lacking investment.

My wife went with 2 friends for a Friday / Saturday night in the Moho to Melrose CAMC club, my wife being a member and her two friends being guests and the cost was £110 for 2 nights. The previous weekend we were at Maragowan at £70.20 for two of us for Friday / Saturday, Maragowan has always been a goto site for us but seems they don't even bother to cut the grass there now and the toilets cleaning seemed to involve adding new toilet paper.

Our recent weekends off sites have included Nethercraig - £68, Ardtower - £70, Greenacres - £58, Oakwood - £54, Mossyard - £42 and whilst some of these are not significantly less in price the experience was just much nicer, very well kept and maintained, some offering food / drink options and most important for us, clean toilet / showering facilities.

As we find ourselves using more non club sites I may review at least one membership.
Yes and it makes you think.

Having just done Scotland We just refused to give in and pay what we personally consider extortionate rates to park for less than 24hrs

Clachan near Killin wanted £20 for a non electric pitch no toilet or showers there. We parked in car park near the new Coop. We did 2 nights at start and 1 on way down. Very quiet toilets and fresh water £0
We did 3 walks past the site at Maragowan it was reasonably full and good luck to them. If I had a Caravan as we once had I'd use that site. But I don't have a caravan and I choose views and freedom like this.

tempImageTzO7H0.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back