Marks and Spencers Tinned Curry (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
sedge why get a saucepan dirty?
Put a hole in top of each can and stand in pan of boiling water simmer to your preferred heat.
Brings a whole new meaning to one pan meals.
Heating food in their tins always takes me back to Boy Scout camp, two holes punched into the lid of a can of Heinz chicken soup with the obligatory sheath knife and placed onto the embers of the camp fire. Several of us sitting around wondering why the steam had stopped venting out of the holes, closely followed by a chicken/napalm like explosion !

I love this related painting by Martin van Dukkum, "single bloke living" in a nutshell, well it would be for me ! :LOL:
Screenshot_2022-06-04-14-52-58.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We dont often eat tinned food but i have been looking for some good emergency rations for the store cupboard that are not fray bentos dogmeat pies.

Gotta recommend the Ā£3 a tin M&S tinned beef madras (400g). Just heat it, boil some rice and you have a light meal for two. Just the right amount of spice, this incredible tinned food product is better then the average take-away and you would never know it was tinned. absolutely brilliant. I am off down to Marks and Sparks to get a few more tins tomorrow. Really - this stuff is the best. I have made myself humgry just posting this. If I had another tin I would be opening it right now.

They also do a chicken one.

I am not sponsored in any way by Marks and Spencers.

I suspect that may be the same one that ASDA sells in the Purple cans. If so I totally agree. Fantastic for a tinned meal.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Heating food in their tins always takes me back to Boy Scout camp, two holes punched into the lid of a can of Heinz chicken soup with the obligatory sheath knife and placed onto the embers of the camp fire. Several of us sitting around wondering why the steam had stopped venting out of the holes, closely followed by a chicken/napalm like explosion !

I love this related painting by Martin van Dukkum, "single bloke living" in a nutshell, well it would be for me ! :LOL:
View attachment 625812
Love that picture. Obviously if that was my place the computer would be better placed and the hoover wouldn't be in plain site. But a great picture.
The table perspective looked a bit off, so I went to look for a clearer image in higher res and found this. Is it just me or does it look odd?

1654356346107.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We always have the making of what we call 'a lazy tart's dinner' ie one tin stewed steak, 1 tin carrots, 1 tin spuds. Drain liquid off veg, lob all into saucepan, heat and serve.
Same here but usually corned beef and a stock pot.

I have to be careful about tinned meat in sauce because of the (yawn yawn yawn) possibility of gluten.

At one time there was sliced roast beef in gravy that didn't contain gluten and then the recipe changed and it was no longer suitable.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Gromett, I see what you mean ! I'm looking at it on a tablet and if I zoom in on the table, it doesn't look too bad ? I wonder if the blanket over the back of the 'ped is throwing it off a bit ?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We dont often eat tinned food but i have been looking for some good emergency rations for the store cupboard that are not fray bentos dogmeat pies.

Gotta recommend the Ā£3 a tin M&S tinned beef madras (400g). Just heat it, boil some rice and you have a light meal for two. Just the right amount of spice, this incredible tinned food product is better then the average take-away and you would never know it was tinned. absolutely brilliant. I am off down to Marks and Sparks to get a few more tins tomorrow. Really - this stuff is the best. I have made myself humgry just posting this. If I had another tin I would be opening it right now.

Maybe a emergency ration kit like this would do probably last years as well

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Same here but usually corned beef and a stock pot.

I have to be careful about tinned meat in sauce because of the (yawn yawn yawn) possibility of gluten.

At one time there was sliced roast beef in gravy that didn't contain gluten and then the recipe changed and it was no longer suitable.
Not at all. Well worth pointing out šŸ‘

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
A Chorizo sausage, tin of Chopped Toms, and a tin of Butter Beans.

Chop the sausage' fry till the "orange" oil permeates the pan, in with the Tins of Toms and Butter Beans ,serves two

Want to serve four? Bung in a packet of ALDI Instant Noodles in boiling water for 2 mins and add to mix.

Six? Throw in a few Mushies when cooking Sausage

Sep 2, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786f
Exp
Just to add M&S tins of minced beef in gravey are amazing. You can serve more people by making a tin into a pie - the shallow kind on a pie plate with top & bottom shortcrust pastry. Mmmmmm. Takes me back to my childhood but oh so good šŸ¤¤šŸ¤¤

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
We dont often eat tinned food but i have been looking for some good emergency rations for the store cupboard that are not fray bentos dogmeat pies
No No No, don't go there. Frey Bentos are the pinical of heaven in a tin. This tin has been going for longer than I have and if you add a tin of baked beans its all one can ever want in life. (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gromett, I see what you mean ! I'm looking at it on a tablet and if I zoom in on the table, it doesn't look too bad ? I wonder if the blanket over the back of the 'ped is throwing it off a bit ?

I don't think it is the blanket. The NATO petrol can has the same problem. I think it is just that painting is hard.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Try ā€˜Idahoanā€™ instant mark potatoes. I hate instant mash with a passion having memories of ā€˜Smashā€™ but Idahoan is truly a brilliant product. Just add to boiling a water and I defy anyone to tell the difference from home made mash. itā€™s available from most supermarkets but I buy it in packs of 13 from Amazon.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Try ā€˜Idahoanā€™ instant mark potatoes. I hate instant mash with a passion having memories of ā€˜Smashā€™ but Idahoan is truly a brilliant product. Just add to boiling a water and I defy anyone to tell the difference from home made mash. itā€™s available from most supermarkets but I buy it in packs of 13 from Amazon.
Never heard of it but a quick google shows that Tesco sells it at Ā£1 a packet. Will definitely be on my shopping list (y)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Love that picture. Obviously if that was my place the computer would be better placed and the hoover wouldn't be in plain site. But a great picture.
The table perspective looked a bit off, so I went to look for a clearer image in higher res and found this. Is it just me or does it look odd?

View attachment 625884

Not as out of place as the ironing board, and 5 (!) cats. Missing is the fridge for beer.

Jul 8, 2021
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Swift RIO 310
Exp
since 2021
When we go shopping we look in the shop window and see what they are selling and how much, if itā€™s not what we want or to expensive we go elsewhere. This seems to work for us.

No No No, don't go there. Frey Bentos are the pinical of heaven in a tin. This tin has been going for longer than I have and if you add a tin of baked beans its all one can ever want in life. (y)
Just give the 2 bits of "meat" to the dog and eat the crust, it's the best bit of a frey bentos pie!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Try ā€˜Idahoanā€™ instant mash potatoes. I hate instant mash with a passion having memories of ā€˜Smashā€™ but Idahoan is truly a brilliant product. Just add to boiling a water and I defy anyone to tell the difference from home made mash. itā€™s available from most supermarkets but I buy it in packs of 12 from Amazon.
This explains better than me. https://idahoan.com/product-category/flavored-mashed/

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Totally cheesed off with M&S.

I wanted to see if gluten-free sandwich platters were still available and there isn't even a gluten free filter on the selection page.

I spent 45 minutes on the helpline and was still in the queue so gave up. Looks like I'll be making the gluten-free stuff for Dad's after funeral tea (he's at "end of life") and have to transport it all. Anyone who doesn't need a special diet can be catered for at the venue.

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years

Rather than boiling rice, we always carry a pouch of microwave rice although no microwave. Break the rice up BEFORE you open the pouch then stir-fry it in a frying pan with 2 tbs water. Perfect every time and very quick.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Rather than boiling rice, we always carry a pouch of microwave rice although no microwave. Break the rice up BEFORE you open the pouch then stir-fry it in a frying pan with 2 tbs water. Perfect every time and very quick.

Thanks for that info, we donā€™t have a microwave and thatā€™s very useful to know. šŸ‘

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Never heard of it but a quick google shows that Tesco sells it at Ā£1 a packet. Will definitely be on my shopping list (y)
Amazon sell it in tubs, you just add boiling water for a single serving of mash (y)

Gina

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

View attachment 625812
I always laugh at these single bloke Generalisations. Every lassie ive dated has been messy untidy buggers ...the last one was the final straw when she would put empty milk bottles and sandwich packets back in the fridge.

Being single my van is very tidy and clean apart from the dog hair here and there.

But thats a cool picture ive screenshot that for framing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back