Marks and Spencers Tinned Curry (1 Viewer)

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Try ‘Idahoan’ instant mark potatoes. I hate instant mash with a passion having memories of ‘Smash’ but Idahoan is truly a brilliant product. Just add to boiling a water and I defy anyone to tell the difference from home made mash. it’s available from most supermarkets but I buy it in packs of 13 from Amazon.
Yes we’ve used it on hiking trips and they are great 👍

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Try ‘Idahoan’ instant mark potatoes. I hate instant mash with a passion having memories of ‘Smash’ but Idahoan is truly a brilliant product. Just add to boiling a water and I defy anyone to tell the difference from home made mash. it’s available from most supermarkets but I buy it in packs of 13 from Amazon.
We eat Idahoan mash all the time in the USA. Glad it’s available in the U.K. now. Idaho is the state of the potato.
Phil upmeplate

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I always laugh at these single bloke Generalisations. Every lassie ive dated has been messy untidy buggers ...the last one was the final straw when she would put empty milk bottles and sandwich packets back in the fridge.

Being single my van is very tidy and clean apart from the dog hair here and there.

But thats a cool picture ive screenshot that for framing
I agree, I could never live like the picture depicted. I like order and tidy, not obsessive, but that one looked like a H&S "spot the health hazard" training card lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Rather than boiling rice, we always carry a pouch of microwave rice although no microwave. Break the rice up BEFORE you open the pouch then stir-fry it in a frying pan with 2 tbs water. Perfect every time and very quick.

Yes I do that as well :) and I have a microwave in the van!!!!

At home I freeze any cooked planned-over rice in single portions. When Lidl had them on offer I bought one of the vacuum seal machines which makes a really neat pack for home frozen food and I can get a lot more into the freezer. Big BUT when freezing don't overload the freezer with unfrozen food.

Another vote for M and S curries, Bolognese's, steak. We never leave home without some. If you’re lucky you might catch a 3 for 2 offer.
TOP TIP. Idahoan mash with MS tinned steak. Such a quick fix when time is of importance.
PHIL upmeplate.

If you have chance could you have a look and see if any of the ingredients are in bold or if there is a disclaimer saying "made in a factory that handles" or similar? It's a long way to our nearest M&S for me to check but I'd make a special trip if I know it was probably okay for me to eat.

Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Yes I do that as well :) and I have a microwave in the van!!!!

At home I freeze any cooked planned-over rice in single portions. When Lidl had them on offer I bought one of the vacuum seal machines which makes a really neat pack for home frozen food and I can get a lot more into the freezer. Big BUT when freezing don't overload the freezer with unfrozen food.

If you have chance could you have a look and see if any of the ingredients are in bold or if there is a disclaimer saying "made in a factory that handles" or similar? It's a long way to our nearest M&S for me to check but I'd make a special trip if I know it was probably okay for me to eat.
Here goes. Phil upmeplate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 113
Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Gaston aires thank you VERY much.

It may well be worth a trip across :)
They do about 6 types of curry. All good. Mmm For us two, 1 tin is not enough. 3 tins equals 2 meals.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I freeze unused portions of microwave rice - a packet does 3 meals for me. You can also put it in a sieve and slowly pour boiling water over it to heat it up if you want it separate to the sauce.

You can freeze portions of cooked pasta, too - I boil mine with frozen spinach for extra fibre.

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
A Chorizo sausage, tin of Chopped Toms, and a tin of Butter Beans.

Chop the sausage' fry till the "orange" oil permeates the pan, in with the Tins of Toms and Butter Beans ,serves two

we do this but add smoked paprika and two pieces of any white fish loins................................ delicious

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
Thanks for that info, we don’t have a microwave and that’s very useful to know. 👍
I can't claim it as my idea, I saw it on a blog when we were new to motorhoming. I can't remember which blog, so - if that was you and it was your idea, thank you!

Zen

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Funster No
We dont often eat tinned food but i have been looking for some good emergency rations for the store cupboard that are not fray bentos dogmeat pies.

Gotta recommend the £3 a tin M&S tinned beef madras (400g). Just heat it, boil some rice and you have a light meal for two. Just the right amount of spice, this incredible tinned food product is better then the average take-away and you would never know it was tinned. absolutely brilliant. I am off down to Marks and Sparks to get a few more tins tomorrow. Really - this stuff is the best. I have made myself humgry just posting this. If I had another tin I would be opening it right now.

They also do a chicken one.

I am not sponsored in any way by Marks and Spencers.
hi i had one of fray bentos pies in france last week ive not eaten one in 25 years tin smaller meat tiny a very diffrent product indead old ones where very nice new ones will not buy again

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never heard of it but I'll give it a try 👍
I quite liked smash as a kid, I was easily pleased.
Made in a mug with a squirt of tomato sauce at 0100 am
I used to like mixing in some ketchup to get the taste and pink mash. 😊
Big BUT when freezing don't overload the freezer with unfrozen food.
For two good reasons, firstly too much will raise the temperature of the freezer but secondly, and more importantly, when it expands it will jam so you won't be able to get it out ... which is what my hubby did with some raw chicken that then froze onto the freezer shelf (ie settled into the gaps) and could only be removed by hacking it to bits. 😄

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Well, dear Funsters, I have done the taste-test and can confirm that the Idahoan Mash really is very nice! ( Good job as I have 11 packets left🤪)

One packet will probably do 4 meals for me so I will be getting creative in the next few days and will probably freeze a couple of portions. 😀

DFF7DCF9-9164-421A-87C1-BC403EAB4274.jpeg

Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
12 packets of Idahoan Mash just arrived via Amazon - it had better be good 🤣🤣
Ha, ha - I’ve just picked up a couple of packets in Tesco; took me about an hour to find it! Who would have thought to look on the high shelf above the tinned peas 🙄

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Since 2004
Gotta recommend the £3 a tin M&S tinned beef madras (400g). Just heat it, boil some rice and you have a light meal for two.
Many thanks for the tip-off. We tried the chicken tikka version and it was good. Very handy for a standby when the weather turns chilly!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, dear Funsters, I have done the taste-test and can confirm that the Idahoan Mash really is very nice! ( Good job as I have 11 packets left🤪)

One packet will probably do 4 meals for me so I will be getting creative in the next few days and will probably freeze a couple of portions. 😀

View attachment 634727
We use Mr Mash, although any of the potato flake ones are just as good IMV. As the packs are too big for one meal we weigh out the contents and portion them, that way we don't have to waste it, nor make it up and use it the following day, or store it in the freezer. We then just mix a portioned pack when needed ... it keeps for age (years!) if stored correctly once opened ... I'm still alive to prove the point. 🤪

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We use Mr Mash, although any of the potato flake ones are just as good IMV. As the packs are too big for one meal we weigh out the contents and portion them, that way we don't have to waste it, nor make it up and use it the following day, or store it in the freezer. We then just mix a portioned pack when needed ... it keeps for age (years!) if stored correctly once opened ... I'm still alive to prove the point. 🤪
Yes but have you actually tried the Idahoan mash, I think if you had you would find it very superior to the others

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes but have you actually tried the Idahoan mash, I think if you had you would find it very superior to the others
Not sure why I need to, what I use now tastes like 'normal' mashed spud. :giggle:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Not sure why I need to, what I use now tastes like 'normal' mashed spud. :giggle:
No, of course you don't need to but if you havn't tried it how can to say "Any of the potato flake ones are just as good" you wouldn't know would. So long as your happy with what you know though all is well.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
When we went on our 6 week tour of Norway I did buy some M&S tins of mince and stewing steak. They did make a reasonable cottage pie type meal with Smash or real mash. It did help balance some of the prices as well of course. Don’t suppose you could legally do that now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back