Marks and Spencers Tinned Curry (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, of course you don't need to but if you havn't tried it how can to say "Any of the potato flake ones are just as good" you wouldn't know would. So long as your happy with what you know though all is well.
Actually I can ... because the potato flake ones I've used taste just like a mashed 'real' potato which I assume the Idahoan one does too so what would the difference actually be? Surely that's the point - if the Ah version tastes of 'real' potato too what's the benefit over what I use now? :unsure: What makes it 'superior' to the others? Does it have a 'eyes'? 🤪

Smash used to taste nothing like mashed potato but it's better than it used to be, but still not like 'real' mashed spud but good as a fall-back if needs be.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Actually I can ... because the potato flake ones I've used taste just like a mashed 'real' potato which I assume the Idahoan one does too so what would the difference actually be? Surely that's the point - if the Ah version tastes of 'real' potato too what's the benefit over what I use now? :unsure: What makes it 'superior' to the others? Does it have a 'eyes'? 🤪

Smash used to taste nothing like mashed potato but it's better than it used to be, but still not like 'real' mashed spud but good as a fall-back if needs be.
It’s indistinguishable from home made mash. Doesn’t have eyes but if eaten lunchtime will see you through the day.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
When I make a curry at home, I always cook a few extra portions and freeze them. We’re in the MH and we just had my chicken curry with rice, popadums and mango chutney. Flippin delicious.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
A Chorizo sausage, tin of Chopped Toms, and a tin of Butter Beans.

Chop the sausage' fry till the "orange" oil permeates the pan, in with the Tins of Toms and Butter Beans ,serves two

Want to serve four? Bung in a packet of ALDI Instant Noodles in boiling water for 2 mins and add to mix.

Six? Throw in a few Mushies when cooking Sausage
Just made this, it is scrumptious,
Added half an onion chopped and a couple of handfuls of frozen peas as the beans looked lonely.
Will definitely be making it again.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Just made this, it is scrumptious,
Added half an onion chopped and a couple of handfuls of frozen peas as the beans looked lonely.
Will definitely be making it again.
That sounds lovely!

There's a cook that I like, Jack Munroe, who has a lot of 'cheats' when it comes to cooking. She advocates using cheap tins of baked beans thoroughly rinsed of all sauce as an alternative to more expensive butter beans.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
That sounds lovely!

There's a cook that I like, Jack Munroe, who has a lot of 'cheats' when it comes to cooking. She advocates using cheap tins of baked beans thoroughly rinsed of all sauce as an alternative to more expensive butter beans.

Butter Beans in ALDI are cheaper than Heinz 57s in TESCO

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
M&S do a nice range of tinned soups, many quite cheap. My favourite is cream of chicken, which for most of the last year was only 50p a can. Poured into a mug and microwaved, it’s ready in a couple of minutes and really creamy, tasty and comforting.

May 2, 2022
Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Boxer 2017
Exp
Newbie motorhomer
For the curry-loving veggies out there, these are excellent

Attachments

• 20220629_214424.jpg
    20220629_214424.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 30
Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
For those who like Fray Bentos pies - and perhaps for those who don’t or are curious about them - this short review of opening, cooking and tasting one is quite enlightening. I used to enjoy them when I was much younger. This suggests they’ve changed quite a bit.

Ooops, just noticed someone else posted this clip earlier.

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I keep one in the van for emergencies and would agree with what he says!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Heating food in their tins always takes me back to Boy Scout camp, two holes punched into the lid of a can of Heinz chicken soup with the obligatory sheath knife and placed onto the embers of the camp fire. Several of us sitting around wondering why the steam had stopped venting out of the holes, closely followed by a chicken/napalm like explosion !

I love this related painting by Martin van Dukkum, "single bloke living" in a nutshell, well it would be for me ! :LOL:
View attachment 625812
I remember my mum putting a tind Pudding in the Yorkshire range without perching the tin the explosion blew the door off the oven and the tin ended up embed in the door the content coting the hole kitchen luckily she had just left the kitchen.
Bill

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Sent my stoker to put a huge catering tin of tomatoe soup to heat on a steam manifold for the middle watchmen... did it every night.. no problems.. not this time.... yep he did not pierce tin....
Spent next week painting the lagging in the engine room.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
For those who like Fray Bentos pies - and perhaps for those who don’t or are curious about them - this short review of opening, cooking and tasting one is quite enlightening. I used to enjoy them when I was much younger. This suggests they’ve changed quite a bit.

Ooops, just noticed someone else posted this clip earlier.

Love Big Clive, and his brother Ralphy.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Idaho cheese and roasted onion put it in your cheese and onion pie mix....so creamy when cooked:tounge:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back