LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
While we are at it we should also tell the stupid bloody goverment we want our roads and our cars to be the same as the rest of the sensible world and be left hand drive.

Just sitting here people watching and thinking almost every other nationality in the world can go anywhere and fit straight in to the driving. ..they can also import and export any vehicles around the globe with ease.

Meanwhile we are the odd ones out again

Stoopid britain
British horse riders were using the left hand side of the road long before the Americans started driving on the right.
Just another example of where change makes the situation worse not better :LOL:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No, you have a choice. As with all of us, it is a matter of doing something or making an excuse and doing nothing.
With respect, is the increase in Scotland due to the ill advised promotion of the "NC500", or the increase of the popularity of MH's as a leisure pursuit... rather than an objection to sites?
I think it's an increase in motorhomes and campers ...many converting from caravans In order to not be tied to campsites .
It's certainly what the majority of people I speak to on my travels in wild spots say.
The younger ones have never used sites preferring the freedom of parking where they like ....these are the guys usually with vw size vans etc. Ones I've spoke to that are older with motorhomes are often ex tuggers who used sites before but object to the high cost of using them.

As I don't use sites I never meet the people who use them .....to be honest my biggest interaction with them has been on here and I've only been on here since last July
( I was on once around 2015 for 6 months or so)

So I can only go on the literally hundreds of people I meet in wild spots .....theres been the odd one here and there that uses sites on occasion but very few.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
British horse riders were using the left hand side of the road long before the Americans started driving on the right.
Just another example of where change makes the situation worse not better :LOL:
I'm just baffled as in this day and age in the whole world theres only what 3 or 4 countries that drive on the left.

If we had changed that years ago think of the money that would have been saved

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Certainly I can't argue against the attraction of the image - buy a MH and have the freedom to travel where you want, stop where you want.
Hence promotional pictures such as:
MATRIX_GB_Hero-1.jpg

but as we all know, the reality & practicality of motorhoming is somewhat different...
Honfleur-006-border.jpg

(Honfleur)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Certainly I can't argue against the attraction of the image - buy a MH and have the freedom to travel where you want, stop where you want.
Hence promotional pictures such as:
View attachment 247514

but as we all know, the reality & practicality of motorhoming is somewhat different...
View attachment 247515
(Honfleur)
Yes and I think the dealers and the rental places don't help that. I've now spoke to several people here in the Algarve that have hired these "go indie" campers from faro

They come pre loaded with wild spots ....every spot I've parked In I've the last few weeks has had at least one of their vans in it
This particular spot has 9 of them ...7 in the bottom carpark and 2 in the top

One of the vans a ducato long wheel base has 6 guys in it and a tent lol

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for posting that BB (y)

THE number of caravans and motorhomes clogging up Britain's roads

a staggering 807,000 of them for the rest of the nation's motorists to put up with

That sort of headline just goes to show what our "free press" think of caravans & MoHos - or is is just a reflection of the views of the majority of the "non vanning" public?

No it’s a reflection on poor journalism. I doubt the phrase was based on anything other than the need to sensationalise a non story

Allegedly a genuine quote from an analyst at the Centre for Economic and Business Research and nothing to do with sensationalism or slow news or even, God forbid, poor reporting.

What a load of bo!!ox..

Thats like the DWP saying ALL those out of work are idle b@stards.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Why? It's a day out. We only take the MH if it's of some use to us.
A day out there doesnt require using the motorhome.
Parkings rubbish for motorhomes ... plenty of car parking tho.
I'm sure we will put as much into the local economy as we would if we'd taken the van.
It's that choice thing again

I take your point on a DAY visit. I mistakenly thought you where staying over somehow. We have been to Whitby on a day basis. Usually by going to Pickering and riding the Train in!.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Interesting Theory as to why we Drive on the left. Most people are right handed, and therefore would wear the sword on the left hip. If you meet a stranger on what passed for a highway in "ye olden times",:rolleyes: you would approach to your left, this allowed you to draw a sword and if necessary do battle without fighting over your horses head and Neck?.(y) This tradition continues!.:whistle: Of course the French had (as always) got to be different, and of course Napoleon who had his arm in his Jacket!, controlled most of Europe at one time.:whistle: The "Colonials" picked up a lot of Bad Habits from the French who "befriended" them during and after the war of independence!.:whistle::whistle:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is nothing proposed to stop motorhomes parking during the day.
Apart from principals. Why would you accept something that you cannot do later in the day?
This is how all who wish to rule function and it is only the people accepting it that allows it to continue.
There is only a need to change a law if it does not work.
Under the 1960 Act, anyone can apply for a licence and planning consent to set up a caravan site (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).
Under the 1960 Act, anyone can apply to an exempted organisation to set up a CL (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).
Under the 1960 Act, a local authority can use its provisions to set up a caravan site (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).

Despite its age the current legislation includes all the provisions needed. It ain't broken so there is no need to fix it.
It wasn't needed originally. Just those in power imposing unrequested legislation to subjugate the population.

While we are at it we should also tell the stupid bloody goverment we want our roads and our cars to be the same as the rest of the sensible world and be left hand drive.

Just sitting here people watching and
With an exit quite likely to happen if reentry is attempted. Even worse an exit with entry into the eea could see a directive being introduced just for the aggro it would cause.:D2

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Apart from principals. Why would you accept something that you cannot do later in the day?
This is how all who wish to rule function and it is only the people accepting it that allows it to continue.
Yes, it is only the people accepting it that allows it to continue because it is how those that we collectively elect to rule on our behalf function - by looking at the big picture and balancing the needs of the whole population. If we don't accept their decisions we can vote them out.
It wasn't needed originally. Just those in power imposing unrequested legislation to subjugate the population.
See This Thread: "Insanitary provision in the 1930 led to the Public Health Act 1937 which controlled camping (both in tents and huts) provision. In the UK the rise of tent camping after the war years and the development of trailer caravans led to problems over wild camping and the destruction of the countryside by lighting camp fires and sanitary issues. The UK solution was the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960."

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Why do we drive on the left in the UK?

It seems crazy why some countries drive on the right and we drive on the left. Only around 35% of the words population drive on the left. However, we are not the only country that drives on this side of the road. Below is a list of other countries, which also drive on the left:

Anguilla – Antigua – Australia – Bahamas – Bangladesh – Barbados –Bermuda – Bhutan – Botswana – British Virgin Islands – Brunei – Cayman Islands – Channel Islands – Cyprus – Dominica – Eire – Falkland Islands – Fiji – Grenada – Guyana – Hong Kong – India – Indonesia – Isle of Man – Jamaica – Japan – Kenya – Lesotho – Macau – Malawi – Malaysia – Malta – Mauritius – Montserrat – Mozambique – Namibia – Nepal – New Zealand – Northern Ireland – Pakistan – Papua New Guinea – Samoa – Seychelles – Scotland – Singapore – Solomon Islands – South Africa – Sri Lanka – St Kitts & Nevis – St Helena – St Lucia – Surinam – Swaziland – Tanzania – Thailand – Tonga – Trinidad & Tobago – Turks & Caicos Islands – Uganda – US Virgin Islands – Zambia – St Vincent & Grenadines – Wales
Up until the late 1700’s, many years before the motorcar was invented, the entire world kept on the left when travelling. The reason for this was dates back way before the 1700’s. Most people were, and still are right handed. Knights with their lances under their right arm naturally passed on each other’s right hand side to allow attack. It made sense to then keep to the left when passing strangers on the road as a protective measure. It was safer to keep a protective sword handy between you and a potential threat.

It all started to change when Napoleon, who was left handed, overturned this practice as part of Frances social rethink. Any country which was part of the British Empire remained left handed, and those colonised by the French was right handed.
So why does America drive on the right?

The British played a very small role in shaping the side of the road Americans drive on. This was because the French colonised more southern states, the Dutch colonised New York and the Spanish colonised areas in South America.

Reactions: GJH

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why do we drive on the left in the UK?

It seems crazy why some countries drive on the right and we drive on the left. Only around 35% of the words population drive on the left. However, we are not the only country that drives on this side of the road. Below is a list of other countries, which also drive on the left:

Anguilla – Antigua – Australia – Bahamas – Bangladesh – Barbados –Bermuda – Bhutan – Botswana – British Virgin Islands – Brunei – Cayman Islands – Channel Islands – Cyprus – Dominica – Eire – Falkland Islands – Fiji – Grenada – Guyana – Hong Kong – India – Indonesia – Isle of Man – Jamaica – Japan – Kenya – Lesotho – Macau – Malawi – Malaysia – Malta – Mauritius – Montserrat – Mozambique – Namibia – Nepal – New Zealand – Northern Ireland – Pakistan – Papua New Guinea – Samoa – Seychelles – Scotland – Singapore – Solomon Islands – South Africa – Sri Lanka – St Kitts & Nevis – St Helena – St Lucia – Surinam – Swaziland – Tanzania – Thailand – Tonga – Trinidad & Tobago – Turks & Caicos Islands – Uganda – US Virgin Islands – Zambia – St Vincent & Grenadines – Wales
Up until the late 1700’s, many years before the motorcar was invented, the entire world kept on the left when travelling. The reason for this was dates back way before the 1700’s. Most people were, and still are right handed. Knights with their lances under their right arm naturally passed on each other’s right hand side to allow attack. It made sense to then keep to the left when passing strangers on the road as a protective measure. It was safer to keep a protective sword handy between you and a potential threat.

It all started to change when Napoleon, who was left handed, overturned this practice as part of Frances social rethink. Any country which was part of the British Empire remained left handed, and those colonised by the French was right handed.
So why does America drive on the right?

The British played a very small role in shaping the side of the road Americans drive on. This was because the French colonised more southern states, the Dutch colonised New York and the Spanish colonised areas in South America.
So they knackered it cause now you need your right hand on the steering wheel so you can't punch the driver of the oncoming car :p

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
S will go and spend my £7 to park and will go and spend money in Winchester as well no doubt.

And please write to the local council and Chamber of Commerce saying why you visited there rather than elsewhere in your Motorhome and how much you spent.

We have done that in every place there is good parking and/or an Aire.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Sorry if you don't like it but apart from writing a website with a load of links to council sites what has he changed.

So if you think he has done nowt but show links to Council websites then you have not read it properly and even if that accusation was true - how much more have you actually done to help the motorhome fraternity??:cautious:

I really fail to understand why you (and some others on here) continue to moan about Graham (@GJH ) and appear to blame him for Government legislation!!:(

I also note that when you want a point of law clarified, such as "how many signatures needed on a petition for the Government to act upon it", who do you turn to? Graham of course, the same guy you have all constantly vilified on this very thread!!:confused::confused::confused:

Anyone who has taken the trouble to read his lengthy and very informative guide to motorhome stopovers (www.MotorHomeParking,co.uk ) can at a glance see the time & effort he has put in to help us motorhomers find adequate stopovers whilst remaining within the law!!:)

Thank you Graham (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So if you think he has done nowt but show links to Council websites then you have not read it properly and even if that accusation was true - how much more have you actually done to help the motorhome fraternity??:cautious:

I really fail to understand why you (and some others on here) continue to moan about Graham (@GJH ) and appear to blame him for Government legislation!!:(

I also note that when you want a point of law clarified, such as "how many signatures needed on a petition for the Government to act upon it", who do you turn to? Graham of course, the same guy you have all constantly vilified on this very thread!!:confused::confused::confused:

Anyone who has taken the trouble to read his lengthy and very informative guide to motorhome stopovers (www.MotorHomeParking,co.uk ) can at a glance see the time & effort he has put in to help us motorhomers find adequate stopovers whilst remaining within the law!!:)

Thank you Graham (y)
well i have a field where you can park if you want a fiver a night, thats one more than grahem can find you.(y)
but you see you are at it again , i have nothing against grahem anymore than i dislike you, just because i am maybe not as articulate as some on here sometimes what i say maybe is taken the wrong way, but saying that he has nothing to offer but some 60 year old legistration that he has read, no common sense though.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Well, I’ve watched this thread from the start...
And here is my two peneth worth...
We usually stop at Robin Hoods bay, walk into Whitby using the old cinder path (6 mile ish), then it’s the usual ie. shopping, food then beer. Usually get a taxi back to the van. Then more beer in RH bay...happy days.
Last October we did the goth weekend thing, staying again at RH bay. That weekend in particular we saw a load moho’s parked in or near the co-op car park ( don’t know the correct name). So we decided this year that we would try the said carpark......but oh bugger, the council Mafiaoso have decided to shut the thing to all of us who spend a fortune in Whitby’s pub, restaurants and shops.
But here’s my thinking on this.
Park 1 night at RH bay £15
Taxi there and back £20
So £35 for one night.

So, park in said Whitby car park for one night. Get parking ticket @£70
Pay parking ticket within 14 days, £35...
So it’s a winner,,,, plus there will be loads of spaces.
Bring on the goth
Might stop two nights :);)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
the bloke who writes www.searchforsites.co.uk has done far more for finding parking spots for motorhomers than @GJH but what does he get but critisism and running down , why?

I'll tell you why, other than use data and POI sets from other sites without authorisation, what has he done personally ?

He also listed lot of illegal wild camping spots which will only encourage people to break the law and get us all a bad name..

I know at least three places near us where it is illegal to park overnight yet they are listed as wild camping spots.. one of them was discussed recently .. Sizewell carpark..

for these reasons.. I won't use or support..

Reactions: GJH
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'll tell you why, other than use data and POI sets from other sites without authorisation, what has he done personally ?

He also listed lot of illegal wild camping spots which will only encourage people to break the law and get us all a bad name..

I know at least three places near us where it is illegal to park overnight yet they are listed as wild camping spots.. one of them was discussed recently .. Sizewell carpark..

for these reasons.. I won't use or support..
you can quite easily go to the site and say they are wrong if you want, wouldnt that be better than cutting off your nose to spite your face?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you can quite easily go to the site and say they are wrong if you want, wouldnt that be better than cutting off your nose to spite your face?

I have absolutely no intention of ever using, so not cutting off my nose..

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
pretty similer to @GJH s opinion of french aires when hes never used them

never read such nonsense in all my life.. I think you have lost the plot

he has nothing to offer but some 60 year old legistration that he has read, no common sense though.

the one person on here who does NOT deserve your criticism is Graham, but you have decided to deride at every turn and then to cap it all say he has no common sense.

this is out of order

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
never read such nonsense in all my life.. I think you have lost the plot

maybe i have:( but how can you know ANYTHING about aires if you have not even been on one, different world that he just cant comprehend

the one person on here who does NOT deserve your criticism is Graham, but you have decided to deride at every turn and then to cap it all say he has no common sense.

this is out of order
as i put in a previous post i have nothing whatsoever against @GJH as a person , dont know him so how can i have , similar to you dont know me but you can slag me off, ok i can take it, words dont worry me:) but if someone puts something up in a public forum they can expect critisisem , dont have to agree with what they say because they are a nice guy.

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
Interesting comments, but when we have been a member of the EU where most if not all provide or allow motor-home parking for years do we have to be different? I can only see greed, but there are of course bad motor-home owners who are happy to leave their rubbish and even empty tanks irresponsibly. France, Germany, Portugal and others are more than happy to accommodate motor-homes in my experience, some with a "small" fee many free and some with EHU. In many towns and cities we have large pieces of ground stood idle which could easily accommodate motor-homes. Also it is also not just the amount we are spending when stopping overnight to consider, it is the loss of revenue because we are going elsewhere such as France, Germany, Holland etc and taking our moneys out of the country!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back