LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mr Lidl and intermarche here seem to have switched on though that motorhomers need supplies ...i don't even like Lidl I can never get everything I want in that shop and I think it's expensive compared to others but I go there because I know I can park the motorhome easily.

So their insight worked as the spaces are nearly always occupied. .most have 4 spaces but that one had 8 ....i spent €35 In there in 30 minutes.
And of course there's the option to park there overnight if need be and move in morning.

I'd be interested to know if Lidl applied to do this in the UK already and were refused.

But I've no idea how to find that out
Ask them - LIDL UK Mr Christian Härtnagel Managing Director Email Dispute.Resolution@lidl.co.uk

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Daily Express 2017:
Caravan and motorhome numbers on Britain's roads set to SOAR
THE number of caravans and motorhomes clogging up Britain's roads is set to soar by more than 50,000 in the next five years,
And that will mean a staggering 807,000 of them for the rest of the nation's motorists to put up with thanks to a boom in touring holidays, industry experts revealed.
The current figure of 755,000 will then continue to rise for several years to come, reaching 889,000 by 2030, said analysts at the Centre for Economic and Business Research.

So the 'Authorities', local government or central government do little or nothing.............not going to work .............is it?

1960's legislation?.............time to update?.............of course it is

It needs a national policy, not left to Local Authorities influenced by local campsite owners or the 'Clubs'
Daily Express? Surely that story can't be right because the roads will already be rivers as a result of the latest weather catastrophe won't they? :LOL::LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
hes got 770 now, how many does it realisticly need to even get looked at

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The current figure of 755,000 will then continue to rise for several years to come, reaching 889,000 by 2030, said analysts at the Centre for Economic and Business Research.

So the 'Authorities', local government or central government do little or nothing.............not going to work .............is it?

women-translation-gossips-sharing_problems-listeners-good_listeners-ktan375_low.jpg

Two local Councillors?............or two Local Government Officers?

Edit: .......Or one of each......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Daily Express 2017:
Caravan and motorhome numbers on Britain's roads set to SOAR
THE number of caravans and motorhomes clogging up Britain's roads is set to soar by more than 50,000 in the next five years,
And that will mean a staggering 807,000 of them for the rest of the nation's motorists to put up with thanks to a boom in touring holidays, industry experts revealed.

1960's legislation?.............time to update?.............of course it is

It needs a national policy, not left to Local Authorities influenced by local campsite owners or the 'Clubs'

Thanks for posting that BB (y)

THE number of caravans and motorhomes clogging up Britain's roads

a staggering 807,000 of them for the rest of the nation's motorists to put up with

That sort of headline just goes to show what our "free press" think of caravans & MoHos - or is is just a reflection of the views of the majority of the "non vanning" public?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

a staggering 807,000 of them for the rest of the nation's motorists to put up with

That sort of headline just goes to show what our "free press" think of caravans & MoHos - or is is just a reflection of the views of the majority of the "non vanning" public?

No it’s a reflection on poor journalism. I doubt the phrase was based on anything other than the need to sensationalise a non story

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Quotes from Scarborough, Whitby and Filey Night Time Economy Strategy and Action Plan 2013 - 2016 ( Not been able to find later one )

Encourage a more diverse evening economy that appeals to a wider
range of ages and interests and increase the number of people using
the Town Centres during the early evening

A welcoming ,safe and attractive Borough of Scarborough with a
diverse evening and night time economy, accessible to all, whilst protecting
the quality of life for residents

When we visited Whitby we would

PAY to park something like £6 a day.
Use the local supermarket.
Use local coffee shops, restaurants and pubs

Now we will just go elsewhere and the local residents will loose jobs etc. We have visited during the Winter months when car parks were mostly empty during the day and I would have thought that the local businesses would be glad of the trade.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

No it’s a reflection on poor journalism. I doubt the phrase was based on anything other than the need to sensationalise a non story
Typical Daily Express rubbish. It is beyond me how anyone can pretend they write anything that can be taken seriously.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Now we will just go elsewhere and the local residents will loose jobs etc. We have visited during the Winter months when car parks were mostly empty during the day and I would have thought that the local businesses would be glad of the trade.
May I please refer you to what I posted at #422 (repeated below)
Have you actually read the council report (previously linked to as early as the second post on this thread)?

It points out that the existing order, allowing overnight parking but not camping, is constantly abused.
It proposes "to introduce amendments to Traffic Regulation Order to prohibit motor caravan parking between 11pm and 7am on certain car parks" - that is that daytime parking is still allowed, just not overnight as a way to prevent abuse of the order.
So, no blanket ban, just no parking after 2300 (rather than 2200).

Happy now?
There is nothing proposed to stop motorhomes parking during the day.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hes got 770 now, how many does it realisticly need to even get looked at
As the petition is directed to the Chairman and Executive Committee of the CAMC it is entirely up to them. There are no parameters such as are applied to petitions to government.
They might have decided to look at it already (I did post about it on their forum much to the annoyance of the ruling clique there) or they might simply ignore it no matter how many signatures it receives.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As the petition is directed to the Chairman and Executive Committee of the CAMC it is entirely up to them. There are no parameters such as are applied to petitions to government.
They might have decided to look at it already (I did post about it on their forum much to the annoyance of the ruling clique there) or they might simply ignore it no matter how many signatures it receives.
how many do you need for government?

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
There is nothing proposed to stop motorhomes parking during the day.
True my solution is easy on that basis.
Visit Whitby during day then drive down the coast to Scarborough and park in the Sea Life car park overnight

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
Everyone wants to go to he
how many do you need for government?
100,000 - then it is ‘considered’ for debate in the house......

So if the Daily Mail states 807,000 MoHo’s on the road and 50% of them are couples we’re there chaps :)

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
True my solution is easy on that basis.
Visit Whitby during day then drive down the coast to Scarborough and park in the Sea Life car park overnight
Where there is also a restriction on camping which, if it continues to be abused, may well result in the same sort of ban on parking as well.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We used a truck ferry last year - left at 2 am from the UK and returned at 11pm. There is only one return crossing every 24 hours so it is not possible to "time" journeys to fit in with campsite opening times.

What I did was contact the local authority to ask if there was anywhere we could park up for a few hours legally and safely given the times of the embarkation and disembarkation. I had a very useful and friendly reply and followed the advice to park up discretely at the P&R for the few hours we needed - the official also said he had never had that type of enquiry before and appreciated being asked. I suggested they made a few long spaces for longer vehicles (only half the P&R is actually open and in use and even that had plenty of space) and he said they would consider the suggestion when the second half of the P&R was marked out ready for opening. It was worth the phone call and follow up by email :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used a truck ferry last year - left at 2 am from the UK and returned at 11pm. There is only one return crossing every 24 hours so it is not possible to "time" journeys to fit in with campsite opening times.

What I did was contact the local authority to ask if there was anywhere we could park up for a few hours legally and safely given the times of the embarkation and disembarkation. I had a very useful and friendly reply and followed the advice to park up discretely at the P&R for the few hours we needed - the official also said he had never had that type of enquiry before and appreciated being asked. I suggested they made a few long spaces for longer vehicles (only half the P&R is actually open and in use and even that had plenty of space) and he said they would consider the suggestion when the second half of the P&R was marked out ready for opening. It was worth the phone call and follow up by email :)
If everyone acted as responsibly as that it would go a long way to counteracting the negative impression given by those who just ignore restrictions (y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If everyone acted as responsibly as that it would go a long way to counteracting the negative impression given by those who just ignore restrictions (y)
I dunno
Screenshot_20180805-133202.png
Screenshot_20180805-133242.jpg
Screenshot_20180805-133303.jpg
Screenshot_20180805-133341.jpg

There's many a meme and quote out there that says different.

To ask permission is to invite refusal.
At least once you've done the thing it can't be undone.

Regret what you've done not what you haven't that's my motto in life ;)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Whilst I regret the parking spaces lost and the anti-motorhome attitude some people have that have been caused by people who think they are so special that laws don't apply to them.

Times change, the first section of the M1 was opened in 1959 (to Crick?), very few motorhomes around at that time, the 1960 act should be changed/scrapped

History has shown that sometimes laws have to be broken to bring about change......

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Whilst I regret the parking spaces lost and the anti-motorhome attitude some people have that have been caused by people who think they are so special that laws don't apply to them.
now this is not about you, but other people with your attitude in the councils, you say change the council, to what? just someone else with the same ideas, and that is going to take at least 5 years and another 5 to get anything changed even if you could find someone who wanted to change anything.
This legistration you keep quoting ad finitum is 60 years old, when folks around here were still driving horses and carts, how many other laws were brought about then that are still abided by today? we have had numerous gypsie laws brought in that lets them park where they like with all the authorities just turning a blind eye then prosicuting some poor landowner for fly tipping that he had nothing whatso ever to do with.
As most folks on here look on you as the motorhome parking messiah ( but in fact you are not the messiah you are just a naughty boy , monty python , i think:)) it doesnt bode well if you are all weve got to fight any councils when all the time you just cant bend the simpilest rules.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I don't think the same can be said of a few thousand motorhome owners wanting extra publicly funded facilities for their use.

Why Not?, Currently the LBGT mob are lobbying for all sorts of silly UN NECESSARY changes

We're off to Whitby for tge day in a few weeks. We will be going by car tho.

Which IMV would negate the need/reason for having the M-H, in the first place.

There are people who want all sorts of things that are incompatible with what parliament has decided on our behalf. Doesn't mean they should get them though does it?

I`m afraid there are too many MP`s who THINK they know what is "good for us".

This guy is trying the Caravan & Motorhome Club approach so may be worth signing the petition and see what happens? Just cancelled membership after many years which we may have to join again.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petiti...ar-to-the-french-style-of-aire-de-camping-car

Word of caution, 38 degrees are a political campaign group, Who may (or not) have their own reasons, but they can be very persistent if they once get your E-Mail address, I had to go to great lengths to BLOCK them, in the end.

Deleted User
now this is not about you, but other people with your attitude in the councils, you say change the council, to what? just someone else with the same ideas, and that is going to take at least 5 years and another 5 to get anything changed even if you could find someone who wanted to change anything.
This legistration you keep quoting ad finitum is 60 years old, when folks around here were still driving horses and carts, how many other laws were brought about then that are still abided by today? we have had numerous gypsie laws brought in that lets them park where they like with all the authorities just turning a blind eye then prosicuting some poor landowner for fly tipping that he had nothing whatso ever to do with.
As most folks on here look on you as the motorhome parking messiah ( but in fact you are not the messiah you are just a naughty boy , monty python , i think:)) it doesnt bode well if you are all weve got to fight any councils when all the time you just cant bend the simpilest rules.

So if you don't like a law just break it......the prisons are full of people with that attitude!!

You are insulting someone who has done more to research and find ways of changing or working within the current laws than anyone on this forum or possibly anywhere.

Your attitude stinks, if you want to change things then do something about it rather than moaning, whinging and criticizing people that have attempted to clarify the situation as it stands and change things for the better.

Like banging your head against a thick stone wall(n)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Maybe when I've retired and I have all the extra time on my hands to write email after email to councillors, mp's etc then I will do it but realistically I don't have the time or the interest to do that. I may comment on these threads regarding restrictions etc because the council and goverments attitudes tend to piss me off full stop because they are constantly trying to curb people's freedom and I'm tired of it. But generally I don't moan about not being able to park in these places as it often does not affect me I WILL always find somewhere to park and camp for free I have done for years. I may have to adapt how I do that but I will always do it.

But it's very true as @Barclaybasher said and I've said it several times myself in this and other threads there are laws that frankly have to be broken because we were never consulted in their creation.

I'm not religious but I try to live by some morals as in I don't commit murder grand theft or rape etc ....i tend to live as a fairly decent person.

Parking my camper somewhere that isn't a designated camp site I don't believe to be a crime so my conscience is clear.

I also break the speed limit at times and other minor indiscretions ....im not a saint :p

But I do wonder sometimes at some of the holier than thou attitudes some folk have on here .....cause I bet if I followed you about for a few weeks I'd spot the things you don't do right in life.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Times change, the first section of the M1 was opened in 1959 (to Crick?), very few motorhomes around at that time, the 1960 act should be changed/scrapped

History has shown that sometimes laws have to be broken to bring about change......
There is only a need to change a law if it does not work.
Under the 1960 Act, anyone can apply for a licence and planning consent to set up a caravan site (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).
Under the 1960 Act, anyone can apply to an exempted organisation to set up a CL (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).
Under the 1960 Act, a local authority can use its provisions to set up a caravan site (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).

Despite its age the current legislation includes all the provisions needed. It ain't broken so there is no need to fix it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There is only a need to change a law if it does not work.
Under the 1960 Act, anyone can apply for a licence and planning consent to set up a caravan site (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).
Under the 1960 Act, anyone can apply to an exempted organisation to set up a CL (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).
Under the 1960 Act, a local authority can use its provisions to set up a caravan site (which would include setting it up as an "aire" if they so wished).

Despite its age the current legislation includes all the provisions needed. It ain't broken so there is no need to fix it.
It is broken in the sense a motorhome is not a caravan and needs that section changed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back