What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Not actually fixed. I don’t really do ‘fix’; I am more of a meddler.
anyway, I purchased a cosy looking faux fur mat for the bedroom but it was very slippery. Waste not want not - it has been repurposed as a passenger seat seat cover - with luck nobody will slide inelegantly to the floor each time the brakes are pressed 🧐🤭

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Spent the last few hours lubricating (with Vaseline) all the roof light & blind runner’s so they now glide.
Also fixed the so annoying shower door catch which actually works perfectly now 👍 gone from thinking it’s a pathetic design to loving it 👌
I would have used a silicone grease as Lenny says vaseline will rot them,I would wipe off the vaseline off with a damp meths rag, careful not to put it on anything else.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make sure you don't get it on the rubber seals Vaseline will destroy them. It is the last product I would get anywhere near a Motorhome it's petroleum based.
Carthago recommend it specifically for lubricating the drop down bed mechanism ... is that why you decided not to have one? :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hope there are no rubber bushes in it, wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer has given duff information.
Nope, just squeaky metal bits

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Is Vaseline not good for putting on electrical connection block contacts ?
I was told it was the stuff to use to clean up contacts and make a good connection preventing oxidisation ?

Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
Surge Damper. Top came off when water pump turned on. It’s under a bench seat. Wondered why not much happening with taps though pump was working until the water reached my feet. Poor design with just sealant holding the top on. Think the cold winter killed it. Gonna insulate the new one.

Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
Not exactly 'fixed' but removed the stock leisure battery as supplied in our CV40 (which is woefully inadequate) with 2 x 100ah ones, installed a 2kw invertor, and reconfigured the 12v wiring to suit in our brand new PVC.

Next job - rewire the 230v sockets with a 3 position changeover switch to allow either mains ehu OR invertor supply to all sockets.

Then, when it warms up a bit, install the solar panel, mppt controler and yet more wiring.

Steve

Dec 3, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero EK600
Exp
Getting there owner since 2021
Not fixed but finally got round to cleaning the roof properly since we bought the MH 2 years ago. Wasn't sure if I could stand on it but decided to find out the scary way and just went for it. Luckily I can. 😃

Oct 5, 2022
Altrincham, UK
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
2005 had a motorhome had a gap now back
Took the fridge shelves out ground them off with a rotary brush, then pasted them with gel to remove white stuff, now painted with hamerite. Made a new curtain for the bed area. Jobs I need to sort out.... the hab door is slightly misshapen with an outward central bow, and somehow need to straighten. need to do a smidge of delam didnt buy a big enough TX but it worked really well on the bit I did. Need to sand down bathroom chrome and repaint. Excited as we have had half the floor out and replaced nearing time for a night in it. Had it since September and not been of anywhere yet. But we are ready to rumble

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Van Weasel

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Select
Exp
Since 2010
I fixed some self adhesive black letters on the roof same as my registration number so that it can be spotted by helicopter 🚁 plod. Already got tracker, wheel clamp and GSD mobile unit but can’t be too careful.

4DBDEDB4-CA57-473F-8B0C-9433464487B9.jpeg

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
Today I fitted a new gearbox for my Maxxfan, a bit fiddly but a couple of Utube videos helped! The part was from Leisure Vehicle Services, 2 day turnaround.
Also, the Ducato horn hadn’t been working when I pressed the steering wheel. It passed its last MOT because it worked at the relay(!!). I was wondering how to lift off the boss, gave it a few firm wiggles up and down - and it works!
A good weekend’s work, see also #2714.

Jun 12, 2020
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy G600G
Exp
Since 2015
Passenger door on Pilote galaxy. The linkage between inside opening handle and catch mechanism fell off (again!). So the door would only open from outside. Took door inside trim panel off which is one door sized piece. Figured out how the linkage mechanism went back together and replaced a missing screw (how long has that been off?). Refitted inner door panel and it all works nicely. Now in process of refitting the rubber seal between the inner door panel and the door itself. Second attempt today. Fitting the rubber seal is working out to be the hardest part of the job.

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
4 new tyres as the Contis that came with the van had done 6 years plus and over 20,000 miles. I'm now £800 lighter but with Conti 4 seasons with the all important snowflake. The nice man from Halfords came and fitted them on the drive. Tyrepal kicked off big-time everytime he fitted one.😊

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
Hi Tony, I’m sorry, what will the Vaseline rot?

Hi Tony, I’m sorry, what will the Vaseline rot?
Anything that's rubber, like if it got on a skylight rubber seal, its ok on metal, and seals that may look like rubber but are not, I have seen where vasaline is put on rubber water hoses to enable easy fitment and a year or so down the line they have softened, and swelled

Nov 24, 2017
Emsworth, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Fixed Truma Combi which failed when we visited Winchester in February. Slept in our clothes that night with two hot water bottles as it was freezing. Subsequently found that the Truma control board had failed and bought a replacement off eBay that didn't cost an arm and leg. Took the opportunity to upgrade to the Truma Control Panel, also on eBay at a good price.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
Anything that's rubber, like if it got on a skylight rubber seal, its ok on metal, and seals that may look like rubber but are not, I have seen where vasaline is put on rubber water hoses to enable easy fitment and a year or so down the line they have softened, and swelled
Thanks Tony but I know not to put Vaseline on rubber. Plastic parts only 👍

GrumpyOB

Free Member
Mar 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki 665s
Done a job for a guy that works in a gearbox centre, he said---

"You better check the oil in your Ducato gearbox ,we get them coming in with water in the oil"-- It would cost 1k to fix it :Eeek:

I changed my gearbox oil this week:thumb:
Mine failed in France with less than 20k miles on it a few years ago. Only half the correct amount in it and no leaks! Common issue on Fiat boxes apparently.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
I use this for all my door and window seals.

John.
I was just about to post a picture of exactly the same thing but the Sonax version........I use this on my cabrio roof seals and its great on all the MH seals, I did them twice a year in spring and before winter storage.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Fixed the awful overcab bed mattress that was supplied with the jollybus with a new memory foam mattress and it’s a perfect fit, so no trimming necessary and waiting for it to expand to full size, so rather chuffed.

At one stage I’d got to the original mattress, 2 foam sheets and an inch of memory foam on top. Could hardly turn over up there, but all gone now and a nice silentnight one in place 🥱 😴 💤

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Never fixed anything in the van but solved the problem of trailing grass and dirt into the van without the hassle of putting down a large groundsheet if you're only stopping somewhere for one night.
These rugs are made with recycled plastic bottles, weigh next to nothing, very sturdy, don't retain water so can be left outside as they are meant for patios. Simply give it a shake, roll it up and and put on the 2 supplied elasticated straps. Bought mine from The Range but I see that you can also get them Dunelm, well worth £10 of anybodies money (y)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Garage fix:
Sticking speedo. - Common fault on Ducato X250 if left in storage over winter and not moved apparently (Air Bag light on later model - according to garage).
High level brake light (2 LED's had failed) so new Hella replacement.
All working as should now.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I fixed a broken Hab door handle, replaced the heater fan resistor pack and tightened a loose bolt under the kitchen tap for me. Removed a friend's rear bumper corners that were in bits. Welded them back together, sanded, filled and sanded again, then painted them. Then refitted to the van. Been a busy few days

Next few days I am fixing my friend's electric step and some wiring issues on the USB sockets

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Learning to appreciate what time we have left
Had a bit of bugger with a tractor! Taking our truck to our local man to repair a Airbag fault...Came close to taking out a wall and my rear left corner! Decided that I needed to pull in whilst the tractor approached us. Did not see until the last minute...the 8 furrow plough on the back!
I know...stupid really but I just did not see it!
Too late! The plough caught the back of our truck and caused a little bit of damage to it! . Hey oh....could have been worse! It could have been the whole arse end! Sorry Jim....But I need a drink! My beloved was more concerned that I had caused damage to the plough!
She said and I quote...."Hope it hasn't stopped him from doing his job? " ...............................Doh!
Need some filler and some white paint!
Bless her

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back