What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Replaced both shower traps plastic seemed to have disintegrated around the centre fixing bolts on both . Wondered if Elson grey waste tank fresh had affected them ,poured some undiluted into each waste grating and hadn’t used the shower for about 3 months over winter , only thing I could think possibly could’ve damaged them maybe? (y) :(

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Replaced both shower traps plastic seemed to have disintegrated around the centre fixing bolts on both . Wondered if Elson grey waste tank fresh had affected them ,poured some undiluted into each waste grating and hadn’t used the shower for about 3 months over winter , only thing I could think possibly could’ve damaged them maybe? (y) :(
I think a lot of plastics are very susceptible to dammage from any solvents.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Fitted a new Vanbitz Battery Master, after the original stopped working.
Also replaced the dash-mounted LED module and override switch for the intruder alarm which I had foolishly damaged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 20, 2021
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740 se
Exp
Since 2017
My husband finally discovered how to remove our microwave, it decided to give up the ghost on our way to Spain in January. We thought we were going to have to remove the fridge freezer 😕 but there's a shelf it's screwed to which can be removed 👏 Hopefully it's just a fuse as the turntable and light still work 🤞

Mar 3, 2010
Southwell, Notts
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Fixed persistent squeak under LHS of Rapido dashboard - removed blinds, unscrewed and lifted the extension dash panel that is added for A-class models, and found a tie-bar between the side wall and main engine body, which was loose. The batten holding the bracket had pulled off the wall and screws loose. Fixed back with resin, new screws, fibreglass over the bracket, and tightened the tie bar. No squeak! SWMBO very happy.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hubby fixed the lower grey trim on the side of our Rollerteam. All through France we could hear a rattle. Checked the fuel cap, door fittings, even windows and vents. Turns out a self tapper had come adrift. Simple fix :giggle:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Mended a dodgy c-line 240v socket. Air fryer plug neutral pin plastic coating bubbled and got stuck in socket. Turns out the brass clamp in the socket had split so no longer fully clamping and small sparking instead. Robbed the back socket part of a square faced replacement to fit our round euro type socket - air fryer working perfectly again 😀

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
New MH due next month so sorting / cleaning what goes back in, Spiders really seem to like living in the EHU plugs for some reason.......

dulvil

Deceased RIP
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I didn’t fix it but Vanbitz did, tracker failed after 6 years but Vanbitz replaced it under the growler warranty, thanks lads.
Then went to foam 4 u at Taunton for measuring up mattress and they are making a reflex foam one and sending it to me

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have an electric centre bed. Number one son is 6'5" and built. Number 2 son is much slighter, but between the two I am sure they test the bed's max weight limit, especially with the triple layer memory foam mattress on it.

Anyway, I got a length of 50mm aluminium pole (old TV aerial mount!) cut it down, polished it, put on plastic end caps and now as the bed comes down, it jams in the pole. Not worried about the lad's bed collapsing anymore!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I fixed our mirror after somebody thought you could get two PVC's in the space meant for one,

IMG_1550 (1).jpeg

I must have been too upset to take the before picture so this is the after, it was right on the corner and I am quite happy with the result, the paint match is spot on.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Swept the Fridge Chimney. There was a yell from Judy yesterday “All the sausages are soft”.
I usually clean the flue at the beginning of the season but because of the weather I forgot & didn’t do it.
I always carry a teapot brush attached to a length of curtain wire for cleaning the fridge chimney.
So, switch the fridge off, wait ten minutes to cool down remove the ventilation covers, top & bottom, then remove the thin metal box covering the burner making a note where the very thin wires run, then remove the burner (do not undo the gas pipe just carefully ease to the side then up and down with the flue brush while holding something like an old yoghurt pot underneath to catch the soot. Be careful not to go too high because there is a diffuser half way up.
Then to the top of the fridge. This can be more difficult. Reach down and remove the angled tee piece on the top of the flue which can be fitted with a difficult to get at screw. Carefully remove the curley diffuser hanging from a wire hooked over the edge of the flue and clean off the soot with a kitchen towel. Then while an assistant holds the yoghurt pot under the bottom, brush down from the top.
re-insert the diffuser carefully into the flue with the hook to the rear. Fit the tee piece with the slot over the hook. I don’t replace the screw which is so difficult to remove and have travelled thousands of miles without a problem.
If you have a foot pump or tyre compressor with one of those needles for blowing up footballs then blow the burner out with it, being careful not to damage the igniter or thermocouple or the two very thin wires connecting to them. If you don’t have a pump then a straw and your breath will do. Also blow through the 4mm hole in the side of the square burner.
Re-fit the burner and screw then get an assistant to turn on the fridge which should light immediately with a nice blue flame. If there is yellow in the flame then this means that the jet may be partially blocked. But fixing that means disconnecting the gas pipe and should not be done unless you have sufficient skills. Re-fit the metal case round the burner being careful not to trap the thin wires. Then fit the ventilation covers and wait half an hour to find the fridge cooling nicely again.
Verry Happy wife and quite a few brownie point! :giggle: :giggle:

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
At the start of our month away, touring the South Island to appreciate the autumn colours, the satellite dish has blown a fuse and won’t go up. Personally, I’m not bothered about repairing it as NZ television is terrible and not worth watching, apart from The Chase. Finding the offending fuse is proving surprisingly difficult.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Swept the Fridge Chimney. There was a yell from Judy yesterday “All the sausages are soft”.
I usually clean the flue at the beginning of the season but because of the weather I forgot & didn’t do it.
Now you are living back in the UK Steve you shouldn't need to do it every year.
Just try and fill up with UK LPG, French gas is known for high oily residues which is what causes the fridge chimney to soot up.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
New leisure battery after power failure at home whilst we were away at the static for 3 weeks and left-on gubbins flattened it good and proper.
New fuse box to replace a cluster of untidy in-line ones.
Victron battery guard now cuts off the offending appliances at 11.5V assuming I haven't already isolated them with the new extra switch.
False end for the under-bed locker where the electrics live.
External indicator light on the 6 unnecessarily bright LED lights in the shower room so I won't (or at least shouldn't) leave them on when we're off grid, which is probably what started the old battery on it's decline.
Annual clean and lubrication of the WC cassette sealing ring.
Removed the inverter that powers the broken AirCon. If we ever fix that it will be EHU only.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Well I did it a few weeks ago before we set off on the current trip.
The drop down bed has always had a bit of a rattle regardless of the many times I've tried adjusting it, a few weeks ago it developed a really annoying squeak.

I loosened off each bolt on the mechanism in turn and sprayed PTFE lubricant on all the bolts & bushes.
What a result not a sound from the bed 3 weeks & 1500 miles later still silent even on the roughest roads & tracks..
Kicking myself now I've been living with it rattling for 6 years.

Jun 22, 2019
Durham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Just got home from the Scottish Highlands and after doing what seems 100cs of miles on badly potholed surface needed to do the following.
Hab door gas strut became undone completed
passenger side mirror loose. Completed
cupboard door fell off. Completed.
Auto step fell to bits. Awaiting reply for spare part.

all easy jobs.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Butchered a foam mattress topper to fit the floor space from the doorway to the fridge on our Conny 3.

" Mira " Woof woof. can now lay down as we travel. She is an ex hunting dog and is used to travelling stood up in the back of the pick up or trailer.Two questions in one. WHO saw two loonies coming into the rescue centre....and WHO left with them ? No prizes for the answers.
( Thats our girl !! ) " Walkies " Tea Bag. ;)

Apr 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Niesmann & Bischoff
Exp
Replaced the mixer tap on the kitchen sink. The old one leaked in two different places and was literally falling to pieces.
The replacement was fairly easy to source. The job wasn’t too difficult as access was easy enough once the three drawers were removed from below the sink.
I soldered the micro switch cables with in-line, heat shrink solder joints. Looks very neat.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Now you are living back in the UK Steve you shouldn't need to do it every year.
Just try and fill up with UK LPG, French gas is known for high oily residues which is what causes the fridge chimney to soot up.
To a certain extent that was why I forgot to do it as we have been on UK gas since we came over in lockdown March 21. Our first overseas fill was on the Ebro last week. I got half a yoghurt pot full and the spiral diffuser was caked. Never been as bad since Morocco. I used to do the job each month there!
Edit : must check the gas filter when we get home end of the month.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Sometimes you think you’re heading for an expensive repair but get a nice surprise by doing hand and eye checks.
This trip we have been mostly off grid with a couple of nights on site to service the motorhome. Last night we put the heater on electric until bedtime. This morning I put the heater back on whilst management had a shower but it wasn’t working.
It has done this before when the switch melted so I was thinking it had happened again.
After a bit of thinking I remember management had been looking for something in the wardrobe. On further investigation I found the trip for the header was off. Something must have caught it during managements digging in the wardrobe.
A simple cheap fix in the end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back