What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
2 things today after the weekends travels, first the fridge door lock after our 4yo grandson was flicking back n forth, a simple fix (Dometic) prise the sliding part off- easy, align it with lock metal bit and press/pop it back on done, next up SWMBO tried closing hab door without first releasing catch thus pulling it of the wall a tad, a previous fix using plastic rawlplugs of mine had failed but now I have Rivnuts and so a couple were employed the replace them with some M4 set screws to suit

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Not fixed but upgrade. The front cab side windows only had stick on blinds so found some dometic ones.
Easy to fit and no more fitting those poppers

Attachments

• 20220926_172404.jpg
    20220926_172404.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220926_172343.jpg
    20220926_172343.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220926_172328.jpg
    20220926_172328.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220926_172408.jpg
    20220926_172408.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 55
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Not fixed but changed the gearbox oil for fully synthetic on our 25k mile 2014 Fiat Ducato based Hymer B544. Not strictly necessary but made me feel better knowing what’s in there and what amount.
I drained it out within ten minutes of returning from Nottingham to Hull on Saturday so it was nice and warm, left it draining for an hour or so, annealed the copper drain plug washer, refitted it at 22nm then filled with 2.9ltrs of Petronas Tutela Matryx via a long tube and funnel.
I took the air filter top off to find the vent hole for filling but having done it now I wouldn’t bother if I did another.

Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
Fridge door, loose top bracket. Pain in the a.. for 5 weeks in France. Smoothie as silk now no need to lift it onto the bottom runner.

Jun 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Head unit (Android radio, sat nav) when I fitted it I discovered that Fiat Ducatos don't have an Acc position to power items without engine running, not ideal in a Motorhome so I bought an inline Diode and a small round illuminated rocker switch, whipped the head unit out and with a bit of wiring, crimp on connectors and heat shrink insulation I now have a switchable live feed that doesn't back feed the dashboard and allows head unit to power up with engine off, good for programming sat nav, listening to music and go on internet etc. only £3 for Diode.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If by fixed you mean finding a fault, knowing how to repair it before it cost you more money, then today I cracked it. (and at the same time made me annoyed with myself)
Prior to an MOT next week I discovered that an orange side light was not working.
I've ordered one but I'll have to put off the Test until I've got the part in my hand.
Doh!

Jun 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
So Motorhome failed MOT yesterday on a broken rear spring, one swiftly found with 24 hour delivery :) , had the old one un bolted ready for out by tea time last night barring pulling out from underneath, discovered I needed to drop shock absorber off and the anti roll bar drop link to give clearance this morning, new spring arrived about 1:30 and I soon had it in and all bolted up by 4:30, retest in the morning as we are heading to Scarborough on Friday for a Northern soul weekender, its a good job I'm gifted or I'd be Fxxxxd.
Coming from an engineering background stamping part number on a stressed part is not a good idea, I have seen steel plate crack because of a centre pop mark when being folded

Bush broken.jpg

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I intend to fit another Earth strap in the next couple of days, because she’s behaving like a stroppy French hooker,( obviously just what I’ve heard)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
Went to use the Snipe 3 satellite and it would not lock on to the satellite so after several tries I parked it up and decided to try again back home....so ....tried it at home...where I know it's a clear line of sight and it whirred around then popped the fuseand was stuck pointing west (Ish)....emailed the supplier/fitter and also Snipe people in Korea before the DIY approach to no avail. As the unit had only been used around 10 times in 2 yes I was peeved.... anyway up I went and I ease the dish and it went "clunk" so I guessed it had jumped a cog. Put the fuse in to try.....all good with no blow...so switched on and pressed "Home" and it parked perfectly. So I the decided I ought to flash the firmware, checked the "how it's done" on internet, did that and then ....tried it and all back to normal again......

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Thanks for the advice and experience of Funsters who responded last week to my post about Burstners (and other motorhomes) not having their engine batteries charged by solar or hookup.
Today I fitted a Vanbitz battery master device which should transfer excess charge from my solar panel into my engine battery. It was fairly straightforward thanks to pictures and a description posted by others. I just want to see the indicator light turn red showing charge flowing into my starter battery. Maybe tomorrow if we get a bit of sunshine.

Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
Thanks for the advice and experience of Funsters who responded last week to my post about Burstners (and other motorhomes) not having their engine batteries charged by solar or hookup.
Today I fitted a Vanbitz battery master device which should transfer excess charge from my solar panel into my engine battery. It was fairly straightforward thanks to pictures and a description posted by others. I just want to see the indicator light turn red showing charge flowing into my starter battery. Maybe tomorrow if we get a bit of sunshine.
Well, a bit of an anti-climax. I fitted my Vanbitz Battery Master last week and I have yet to see the indicator light turn red (indicating a charge from leisure to cab battery). I’ve had sun on the solar panel - still green; had the moho on hookup but still the light stays resolutely green. Hab battery at 13v and higher, can battery showing 12.2v. Wonder what I’m doing wrong.

Jun 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
My drop down door on my Spinflo Caprice mk3, it decided to come off one side hinge, it looked like hot glue had held it before so I redid it with same, it lasted 2 days whilst we were out for W.E. so back at base the 2 pack epoxy comes out and that seems to have done the job, Next

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Fixed, fixed, you expect me to admit that you need to fix things on a Morelo :ROFLMAO: OK go on then, cheap plastic locker catch broke but all fixed now, not replaced thougfh as that could just break again so fixed good and proper🤞

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Just fitted some uprated front springs, gas shocks and top bearings on our 20 year old hymer b574, took 4 hrs ,fitted them at my freinds workshop.
What a difference, no more low front end up by 70mm,body roll considerably reduced and potholes don't feel as severe .Well chuffed 😊👍

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sitting in Northern Commercial waiting for the jollybus to come out from the workshop after MOT…..pinkies crossed 🤞🏻

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Sitting in Northern Commercial waiting for the jollybus to come out from the workshop after MOT…..pinkies crossed 🤞🏻
Didn’t pass ☹️

They failed it on emissions and handbrake, exactly what they failed it on last year. Last year I adjusted up the handbrake correctly, didn’t touch the emissions as there’s not a lot you can do and it passed the reshow and no further mention of emissions.

Strange thing is, I hardly never ever use the handbrake, but it failed again, so need to re-show, but can’t get in until next Wednesday.

Need to find somewhere else as it’s Northern Commercial and I have to say, this branch is rubbish in my opinion. Not very customer focused, terrible attitude like they’re doing me a favour. Last year, despite me booking it in at a specific date and time, when I arrived they denied any knowledge of me coming and make me wait ages. This year it was the wrong registration so that delayed them and while they used a cover for the seat, they still managed to put there filthy boots on my step mat 😡 Defo ain’t going back for a 3rd year.

So the handbrake is re-re-adjusted and I always take the motorhome for a blast down the A21 for 2 runs before taking it in, so what can you do about emissions. Been serviced, new air filter, nice oil, vehicle up to temp etc. They suggested an additive, but why did it fail first show last year and fly through on re-show and I never touched it.

Anyone used those additives for an MOT 🤷🏼‍♂️

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Didn’t pass ☹️

They failed it on emissions and handbrake, exactly what they failed it on last year. Last year I adjusted up the handbrake correctly, didn’t touch the emissions as there’s not a lot you can do and it passed the reshow and no further mention of emissions.

Strange thing is, I hardly never ever use the handbrake, but it failed again, so need to re-show, but can’t get in until next Wednesday.

Need to find somewhere else as it’s Northern Commercial and I have to say, this branch is rubbish in my opinion. Not very customer focused, terrible attitude like they’re doing me a favour. Last year, despite me booking it in at a specific date and time, when I arrived they denied any knowledge of me coming and make me wait ages. This year it was the wrong registration so that delayed them and while they used a cover for the seat, they still managed to put there filthy boots on my step mat 😡 Defo ain’t going back for a 3rd year.

So the handbrake is re-re-adjusted and I always take the motorhome for a blast down the A21 for 2 runs before taking it in, so what can you do about emissions. Been serviced, new air filter, nice oil, vehicle up to temp etc. They suggested an additive, but why did it fail first show last year and fly through on re-show and I never touched it.

Anyone used those additives for an MOT 🤷🏼‍♂️
I assume that you are referring to Northern Commercials at Hildenborough. We live in Tunbridge Wells and they are the nearest Fiat "professional" dealer to us. I tried them a couple of times for work, but they were dreadful, far from "professional" and very expensive. I now use Tomsett at Stockbury, near Sittingbourne for services and MOTs. Much better attitude, very helpful and much cheaper. They service cars and motorbikes too, but the owner is a motorhomer and now carries out lots of works on motorhomes.

I was there yesterday to get both the motorhome and scooter MOT'd. Did both while I waited. There were 4 other motorhomes there having work done. The motorhome MOT failed at first because the windscreen washers were not working. I managed to get them going and showed him them working, so he just issued a new pass certificate at no extra cost. Mind you I will have to have a look at them as they were not working very well.

Its a bit of a drive for us, but worth it. And on the way back home I stopped at West Malling and filled up the gas bottles.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Coming from an engineering background stamping part number on a stressed part is not a good idea, I have seen steel plate crack because of a centre pop mark when being folded
Nothing to do with corrosion then.😁

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
When we bought the van in Sept 20, the electric Tecno Step was prone to occasionally sticking, but one or more sharp kicks eventually fixed it.

In early June this year it finally stayed stuck. Removed it, took it apart and glared at it for a while as you do, then greased it all up and put it back together again - with no effect whatsoever. Bugger.

Ordered a new motor from SouthDowns Motorhomes on the 9th June. Long story short, it's evidently been transported from wherever it's made in the far east on a velvet cushion carried by runners, who didn't work at weekends.

It arrived yesterday 25/10. To my surprise I had remembered how to put the drive assembly back together - bench tested and OK. Just fitted it back in the van, works pefectly including automatic retraction when the engine starts.

Happy with this.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Just spent a couple of hours fiddling with my step. Replaced a blown 3A fuse and the warning buzzer has come back to life, well sort of, a bit weedy. Dashboard switch still doesn't retract the step though. Run out of ideas so a note for when the hab check gets done.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I assume that you are referring to Northern Commercials at Hildenborough. We live in Tunbridge Wells and they are the nearest Fiat "professional" dealer to us. I tried them a couple of times for work, but they were dreadful, far from "professional" and very expensive. I now use Tomsett at Stockbury, near Sittingbourne for services and MOTs. Much better attitude, very helpful and much cheaper. They service cars and motorbikes too, but the owner is a motorhomer and now carries out lots of works on motorhomes.

I was there yesterday to get both the motorhome and scooter MOT'd. Did both while I waited. There were 4 other motorhomes there having work done. The motorhome MOT failed at first because the windscreen washers were not working. I managed to get them going and showed him them working, so he just issued a new pass certificate at no extra cost. Mind you I will have to have a look at them as they were not working very well.

Its a bit of a drive for us, but worth it. And on the way back home I stopped at West Malling and filled up the gas bottles.
Thanks for the reply and just by sheer coincidence, I found Tomsett today and will definitely be taking my business there in the future. I don’t mind the drive, I’m just outside Sevenoaks in one of the villages and won’t mind the drive as it’ll give the motor chance to warm up and give the best results for emissions. Definitely won’t be giving Northern Commercial anymore of my business in the future.

With them failing my van last year on emissions and then passing it after I literally did nothing, I’ve been through my last 12 mot’s and never so much as a mention of emissions on any of them, so don’t really know what’s going on. I also noted that last year the weights they listed on the mot were 1381kg front axle and 1941kg on the rear and a total of 3322kg. Todays mot lists 1820kg front and 2175kg rear and an overall weight of 3995kg. Not sure what they’re playing at, as there has been no change to the vehicle whatsoever over the last year 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m going to ring Tomsett tomorrow and ask if they can do another mot or will they look at the areas that failed. Northern Commercial won’t do anything until next Wednesday.

Anyone that’s interested in Tomsett….

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Little Lizzie, who is now mostly blind and as deaf as a post, was a bit quick off the mark to go in last night, and took the direct route straight through the door fly screen, before I could slide it open.
Not looking forward at all to restringing it as doing a roof Heki one was one bad enough but am led to believe the door Horrex ones are a total PITA.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I found a new MOT place, as previous one has gone. Had to do some phoning around to find one. Knew it was a good place when he said “bring down after lunch, and I’m sure we can get it done”. Nice, my sort of place, and the sort that allows you to be in the workshop whilst it’s done.
Drove over there, waited for 10mins, then in. Passed everything with flying colours, and even got comments on how good the handbrake was, and that he’d never tested a Moho with such a good handbrake that it locked the wheels, and shoot out the brake tester.

Very pleased as I’ve just done recent work to the fuel system on it to stop it’s black smoke.

Sorry PP Bear, very different experience to you today.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back