Unladen weight for speed limit purposes (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
Am I right in think the unladed weight for speed limit purposes is the MIRO, minus the following items?
  • Mass of unladen vehicle including tyre mobility system and onboard tool set.
  • Driver’s weight allowance of 75kg.
  • Fuel tank filled up to 90%.
  • 16kg allowance for gas cylinders.
  • 20% full fresh water tank and water system.
  • 100% full boiler.
  • Mains electric cable.

Reactions: 68c
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My V5 shows 'mass in service' at 3025. Not sure if this is a typo or official. A couple of questions here:

1. What is 'mass in service' and how does it relate to 'unladen weight'

2. Can I drive at 70 or not?
I would say the mass in service can not be less than the unladen weight so you should be ok. It is what I am relying on.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
My V5 shows 'mass in service' at 3025. Not sure if this is a typo or official. A couple of questions here:

Mass in Service (also known as MIRO, mass in running order) includes the driver and some allowance for liquids (fuel, water).

On that basis it’d be fair to say that your ULW is < 3050 Kg. 👍

Ian

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022

The weight the vehicle left the factory at including the bits and bobs (technical terms ;) ) mentioned by others on the thread above. The ULW will be below this as it would not include those.
Yes, normal national speed limits apply.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Strewth gus-lopez ... I think you've just broken your record for number of quotes! :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
98 posts later. Isn't it just remarkable how complicated even a simple thing can become in our regulation? And how, once it's in place, no-one has the wherewithal or the incentive to correct it.

So multiply that by ... a big number, to take account of the complexity in other domains. (Tax, pensions, voting, driving licences, you name it.)

You would think it would be the simplest thing in the world just to decree that henceforth it will follow the maximum plated weight. As it does in other places.

All this surely has to add to our overall inefficiency? All these arcane rules and regulations and apparatchiks who have to oversee it, and citizens who never quite understand what the rules are and are always at risk of being caught for something?

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
My French moho has a plate stating Poids a Vide of 3260kg - how fast could I go?
I'd still like to know what my legal UK speeds are though - not sure how clever the latest speed cameras are
Your “Poids a Vide” (empty weight) of 3260kg is above the 3050kg limit so I think you have to comply with the lower speed limits.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I think that it is very likely that you’re van is over the 3050kgs ULW.
I once worked it out as the UK Unladen Weight was somewhere between 2915kg to 3223kg, got a headache and gave up.
If I tried to stick to 50mph past all the speed cameras on the single carriageways around here I'd get a big queue of 40t lorries with purple faced drivers behind me and a load of BMW and Audi drivers making gung-ho overtakes with one hand on the steering wheel and a finger on the other hand waving me a pleasant journey

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
As Orion says.

You have a panel van conversion.

Camera sees you doing 60 on a single carriageway (or 70 on a dual).

ANPR links to the DVLA database, sees you are a 'van with windows', or N1, or PLG or PHGV (however it is they do it) rather than a 'motor caravan'.

Automatically sends a ticket.

I do not know if vehicles with motor caravan on the V5 would be excluded at this point, I presume if you are M1 then also you would be excluded.

But it is the case, that many owners of campervans based on commercial vehicles have had tickets, and also have had them rescinded.
If you have a PVC that was registered before conversion it will be N1 and according to current DVLA rules will always remain so. I've got a document from them stating that.
However it can have the body type changed to Motor Caravan and if required up-plated above 3500kg.
This still leaves the question of the 'Unladen weight'.
The V5C of my PVC states...
Body type ~ Motor Caravan
Taxation Class ~ Light goods vehicle
Vehicle category ~ N1
Maximum permissible mass ~ 4200
Mass in service ~ 2269

In the light of the above I assume that as far as speed limits are concerned it's classed as a car.

And before anyone jumps on it there is currently a national dispute about the recent change of policy at the DVLA of changing from Light Goods Vehicle to Private Heavy Goods Vehicle which they refuse to do in the case of N1 registered vehicles.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
If you have a PVC that was registered before conversion it will be N1 and according to current DVLA rules will always remain so. I've got a document from them stating that.
However it can have the body type changed to Motor Caravan and if required up-plated above 3500kg.
This still leaves the question of the 'Unladen weight'.
The V5C of my PVC states...
Vehicle category ~ N1
Mass in service ~ 2269

In the light of the above I assume that as far as speed limits are concerned it's classed as a car.

And before anyone jumps on it there is currently a national dispute about the recent change of policy at the DVLA of changing from Light Goods Vehicle to Private Heavy Goods Vehicle which they refuse to do in the case of N1 registered vehicles.
I think anything with an “N” on the V5 has to get an additional “Pickerl” sticker for Austria as well As a vignette, but double check that👍

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I think anything with an “N” on the V5 has to get an additional “Pickerl” sticker for Austria as well As a vignette, but double check that👍
Interesting, that's another argument to have with the DVLA.
International convention states that N1 has a maximum gross mass of 3500kg but I have a document from the DVLA stating that they cannot alter a vehicle classification once it's been registered regardless of changing the max gross mass.
This is an argument going on nationally by the conversion trade.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Taxation class, N1 or Cheesium has no legal link to speed limits
Body type motor caravan/van with windows has no legal link to speed limits
Unladen weight, as far as my research took me, is not defined in law, and would need to be argued in court to get a precedent which I could not find ever happening.

Personally, my view is a its a converted van with nothing in. But CoC / weight plate does not state or define "unladen weight". Minefield. Personally I weighed mine after conversion and got a print out (3000kg with us both in it as well as other stuff, so I'm well under 3050 which is all I care about)

Cameras/ANPR do not have a clue, do not confuse fines issues with legal facts as they get it wrong

A "motorcaravan" definition in law is defined in the 1979 RTA definitions and is only defined as

mhf1.png

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Taxation class, N1 or Cheesium has no legal link to speed limits
Body type motor caravan/van with windows has no legal link to speed limits
Unladen weight, as far as my research took me, is not defined in law, and would need to be argued in court to get a precedent which I could not find ever happening.

Personally, my view is a its a converted van with nothing in. But CoC / weight plate does not state or define "unladen weight". Minefield. Personally I weighed mine after conversion and got a print out (3000kg with us both in it as well as other stuff, so I'm well under 3050 which is all I care about)

Cameras/ANPR do not have a clue, do not confuse fines issues with legal facts as they get it wrong

A "motorcaravan" definition in law is defined in the 1979 RTA definitions and is only defined as

View attachment 952106
There is a more precise definition on the DVLA website detailing minimum fittings that must be installed as far as they are concerned additionally there is a very similar definition in a EU document which I have a link to at home.
There are also government documents stating that a Motor Caravan comes within the classification of 'Special Vehicle'.
The deeper you look the bigger becomes the can of worms!

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Do see a uk police officer looking for a weight plate to decide if to book you or not 🤔

with ANPR they could know the speed limit for your particular vehicle or at least be able to access the weight as recorded on your V5. As said speed cameras are presumably set up for this.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
with ANPR they could know the speed limit for your particular vehicle or at least be able to access the weight as recorded on your V5. As said speed cameras are presumably set up for this.
I'm sure they aren't. See my previous post on the subject. I travel at a genuine 65mph (conditions allowing) whenever subject to the national speed limit in a 5.4 tonne vehicle. I've never been flashed and never seen any Police interest................. Yet 😑. I'm often towing a car too.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
My Bailey must be right on the limit as the MRO is stated as 3,276kg, with an allowance (for driver & fuel etc) of 180kg. I assume this means an ULW of 3,096kg?

I think what makes it confusing for some, especially relative newbies like us, is things like my Garmin sat-nav, which shows me my speed limits on roads even though I've never put my ULW in the unit, only my MTPLM when setting it up. Maybe it makes an assumption that I must then be over 3,050kg ULW? This shows me as 50 in single and dual carriageway nationals and 70 on motorways, which I have always stuck to.

I have to be honest and say I never do 70 on a motorway anyway, but 50 on a dual carriageway can feel a little restrictive.

Would you say from the above that I'm likely to be over 3,050kg ULW and should stick to what I'm doing now?

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There are very few if any v5 with the unladen weight recorded.
So it would not be that easy for them.

If we are unsure of our ULW and we have access to CoC and other docs, what chance to DVLA have when they can’t even get mam correct.🤔

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
If I tried to stick to 50mph past all the speed cameras on the single carriageways around here I'd get a big queue of 40t lorries with purple faced drivers behind me and a load of BMW and Audi drivers making gung-ho overtakes with one hand on the steering wheel and a finger on the other hand waving me a pleasant journey
The 40t lorries have to stick to the 50mph limit as well - except their tacho's are calibrated, so will be nearer an actual 50mph than you - most of the roads in my area are single carriageway and as I am towing a 2T trailer I will be doing 50mph - taken from the satnav - and don't cause any hold ups.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I'm intrigued by some of the weight descriptions being quoted above, this is all that is on my V5C which is a post registration PVC so the only CoC that can apply is that of an ex-dealer panel van.
Vehicle category ~ N1
Mass in service ~ 2269
Therefore surely only what is printed on my V5C can be relevant in law?

So where do such descriptions as MRO, MIRO and ULW fit in with anything printed on my documents?

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'm intrigued by some of the weight descriptions being quoted above, this is all that is on my V5C which is a post registration PVC so the only CoC that can apply is that of an ex-dealer panel van.
Vehicle category ~ N1
Mass in service ~ 2269
Therefore surely only what is printed on my V5C can be relevant in law?

So where do such descriptions as MRO, MIRO and ULW fit in with anything printed on my documents?

They don’t but unladen weight is referenced in the Speed Limits section on .gov.uk.👍

Ian

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
They don’t but unladen weight is referenced in the Speed Limits section on .gov.uk.👍

Ian
Thanks Ian

So we are back to the original question, what is the definition of the unladen weight of a vehicle?
If it's not quoted on any of the vehicle documents how the hell does anyone know?

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
In the name, Unladen Weight.

Empty all cupboards and lockers, drain all water, remove gas bottles, empty toilet cassette, fill fuel tank and get it weighed without you in it. Deduct weight of fuel and there you are, your unladen weight.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back