The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (12 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
I just wanted to give it an initial charge for now.

I will probably remove the charger and fit a lithium suitable one later as a back up but once solar and b2b is fitted I'm hoping I never need to use it.

And of course once I check out the generator I'll have to work around that too.
I've a couple of lithium battery chargers Tam in 1 of the sheds you can have one, I'll bring it with me to Morocco if you want it, though it's nowhere near the size of that big fecking yoke in your earlier photo but it charges all lithium batteries up to any size

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've a couple of lithium battery chargers Tam in 1 of the sheds you can have one, I'll bring it with me to Morocco if you want it, though it's nowhere near the size of that big fecking yoke in your earlier photo but it charges all lithiums
That would be great 👍.

I've no idea why the charger in this is so big as its only 35amp and from what I can see it is only a charger.

I put a 30amp victron one in moby that I've not used once since we installed the electrics. It is a quarter of the physical size of this one though

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
That would be great 👍.

I've no idea why the charger in this is so big as its only 35amp and from what I can see it is only a charger.

I put a 30amp victron one in moby that I've not used once since we installed the electrics. It is a quarter of the physical size of this one though
Aye that old one seems massive but sure everything was big 20+ years ago
Remember the early mobile phones! Lol

Screenshot_20240913-103828_eBay.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Aye that old one seems massive but sure everything was big 20+ years ago
Remember the early mobile phones! Lol

View attachment 948717
Aye my first phone was a Panasonic j series .. around 1995/6 it was quite big

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We did hab checks for 2 years to be covered by warranty then after that just damp checks to be covered by warranty, it's a different ball game though on an older model.
Yes I'm sure you may get more interested sellers from a hab check, however I can understand that the hassle at the minute of been so far away from moby just doesn't warrant it.
Going forward are you going to try to be closer to moby to effectively handle prospective buyers?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Like you I've never had a hab check or bought a MH with one - bought 2 unseen off ebay - this one and another - photos and descriptions were enough :giggle:

Edit. I phoned both sellers (y)

Like you say you have to weigh up whether the buyer is serious, a woman first time buyer - maybe not...
Me neither. I'm with Tam on this: a hab check will put off a buyer with no knowledge with mention of modification, non-standard interior, etc. Tams buyer will be experienced, understand motorhomes, or caravans, and who is willing to do his or her own minor running repairs.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We did hab checks for 2 years to be covered by warranty then after that just damp checks to be covered by warranty, it's a different ball game though on an older model.
Yes I'm sure you may get more interested sellers from a hab check, however I can understand that the hassle at the minute of been so far away from moby just doesn't warrant it.
Going forward are you going to try to be closer to moby to effectively handle prospective buyers?
Yes once I've got the solar etc up and running on this van and have sussed out the other jobs I'll drive up and explore Wales etc for a bit before I head abroad.

If it hasn't sold by then.

If I get a truly interested buyer that takes the time to phone have a chat about the van and does seem genuinely interested then I will do the Same as Gareth and take a refundable viewing deposit on it and drive up to show them it.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The other relevant point is that you bought Doc from an apparently first class bullshitter who told you a load of porkies about Doc and you had chance to view and take a friend.

How can someone tell from a phone call that you are as genuine as you profess to be?

Just bear in mind there is a budget coming and labour may well make motoring much more expensive which could hit van values.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You’ve only got to look at the people who buy motorhomes/campers from various dealers of quirky vans ie: bits of reclaimed pallet boards and Belfast sinks with brass pipe work but because it’s from a “dealer” they will trust the van build….

People who have some experience won’t buy these type of vans unless they do them themselves…

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Because 99% chance they won't buy it. They will take a so called "expert " or "professional " opinion over the person who owns the van , did/had the work to it done.

I'm happy for any buyer with knowledge to come view the van and poke around to their hearts content . I can show them every single thing on the van warts and all.

If it was sat outside here beside me I wouldn't hesitate to let someone waste £150+ on a hab check

But driving all the way up to wales at a specified time to let them look isn't the same.
I understand all that but looking from a prospective buyer's viewpoint it's a bit like the old scam of the seller is off shore on an oil rig or the van is locked up at a military base.....

I know that isn't the case with Mobi but for someone who doesn't know the van history etc it would possibly raise red flags.

This is not intended as a dig at you btw. I think any buyer for Mobi will be an enthusiast or someone without a lot of money / experience. I wish that I was the person to buy Mobi but it isn't the van for me. If Mobi was automatic, level floor all through and RHD.....

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.

Morocco?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The van is advertised on here and looks nice and all the threads are here to provide the history and maintenance records.

It would suit someone knowledgeable but it’s also at a price that will attract newbies.

Is EBay a better bet than Autotrader, I am out of touch!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Tam
The hab check request seems completely reasonable to me, and would help you sell it if they didnt want it. Can you imagine buying a van and finding that the fridge doesnt work or the gas connection is dangerously incomplete? I would run from a seller that didnt want one done.....

As above Tam. Most buyers would think a habitation check an essential proof that the van is certified fit to use.

And most buyers will not have skills to put stuff right or know if they are being sold a lemon or not. Difficult as you say when when you are so far away!

All that , to me just looks like normal questions, what do you want them to do?
As Tam said of the two coachbuilts I've bought/sold I've never had hab checks nor has either buyer asked for any.
My mate in Devon has bought & sold 5 motorhomes & he knows absolutely nothing at all yet when we were discussing the one he sold a short while ago ,that I advertised on here @28k, the buyer of that came ,looked, said he didn't know how anything worked nor did he want to as "his dad did", didn't want a test drive ,paid a deposit & returned to pick it up a few days later.
Seemed odd he didn't want a test drive but my mate said that he had never had a test drive of any of the five he'd bought,nor a hab & this a bloke who can't tell a wheel from a door key. & selling no one asked for them when he sold them on?🤷‍♂️
A bit late in catching up, as I've been busy myself replacing glass units in the cab side windows, ie, out with old and in with the new. (y)

View attachment 948639 View attachment 948641 View attachment 948642 View attachment 948643

I'm sorry Tam, but if it was our Flair's front discs looking pitted, and with pads crumbling like that, it would have to be new discs and pads for me, and yes, I do appreciate you are on a budget.
About 12 - 18 months ago, my front discs and pads were replaced, and the calipers stripped down and serviced using a servicing kit. (y) Much cheaper than buying replacement calipers.
The rear discs and drums were serviced a few weeks ago, with only new pads required. (y)

Glad to see that you've sussed out the step light. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Looks a great job Jock.
What qualifications does the person doing the check have to have?
Legally,none.
Yes, but at the moment he seems to be sticking two fingers up to prospective buyers.
Here where I live in spain anything I advertise 8 out of 10 are timewasters.
I didn't say I was fitting them lol. I always carry spares now 😂
I bought front & rears for the Transit back in 2019 . fitted the rears +discs when I returned from the Uk that year. There is still 6mm on the pads when I looked the other day & the fronts are the ones I purchased it with & they are around 4-5mm after 50,000miles(80k kms) I can't believe how long they have lasted especially the fronts
The other relevant point is that you bought Doc from an apparently first class bullshitter who told you a load of porkies about Doc and you had chance to view and take a friend.
You left out " & failed an mot with a list of advisories that magically disappeared for the retest"
bits of reclaimed pallet boards and Belfast sinks with brass pipe work
steady ,I didn't think my van was that bad:giggler:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
My take on buying a used moho is this.

Why would i waste £150/200 on a check if then when I eventually arrived to see it for the first time it was not the moho I hoped it was going to be and I didn’t like it.

I 200% agree with Tam, ring up have a chat and test the water first, then go and look and see if I liked it. Then and only then would I even consider having a check done. And i’d have already seen if things work or not surely.

If I didn’t like it then why waste money on an hab check

Each to their own of course 😉

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Actually it might be an idea if Tam had his own "hab check" done?(y)
I could post him one over(y):giggler:🤷‍♂️
And it would be worth as much to any buyer than one they had done.

It doesn't give any guarantees.

If there was a problem then like an mot inspector they'd just say " it was OK when I checked it"

Pointless they are

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My take on buying a used moho is this.

Why would i waste £150/200 on a check if then when I eventually arrived to see it for the first time it was not the moho I hoped it was going to be and I didn’t like it.

I 200% agree with Tam, ring up have a chat and test the water first, then go and look and see if I liked it. Then and only then would I even consider having a check done. And i’d have already seen if things work or not surely.

If I didn’t like it then why waste money on an hab check

Each to their own of course 😉
Exactly 👍

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
I've had a 💡moment. Those tw4ts on oooohtoob 'Those Happy Days' are looking for a new van for full timing, post a reply on their oooohtoob video, you might get a sale.

Link to your journey threads on here and they have a head start on the hordes who think they are doing something new that you've already done ie Turkeye, Morrocco

In summary you are selling a proven, full time liveable MH that has served you well.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Tam the battery charger that's in there now will do for an emergency charge of your new lithium provided it's not banging out more volts than the battery manufacturer recommends. And DON'T leave it on over a period once you have battery up to 80 or 90%.
It won't charge your new battery optimally but it won't hurt it either occasionally.
Lithium batteries don't like to sit at 100% all the time.
With your lifestyle when your away I expect the solar and B2B will give you all you need.
Not sure how the generator that's an integral part of your setup works but if it's direct to battery then for sure it won't have a lithium charging profile. If it's 240v then CaptainPaul 's offer will see you right for when you are parking up working next year.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Tam
You'll be pleased to read this is my last comment on hab checks 😄
Some potential buyers may want one, some may not. If I was selling I'd want to appeal to all of them. And all potential buyers are, for the seller, potential time wasters, they can all decide they don't want it.
I understand you are focussed on Doc, getting it useable and habitable. Selling Moby may take some more effort further down the line. Hopefully it doesn't deteriorate too much with standing. Best of luck with both.
An aside: when selling our van with a drop down bed last year, we had a couple travel to look at it. It took 30 seconds for them to say it was not suitable cos their shit sue wouldn't be able to jump onto the bed!! And there were several photos of the bed in position in the ad 🤔

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've had a 💡moment. Those tw4ts on oooohtoob 'Those Happy Days' are looking for a new van for full timing, post a reply on their oooohtoob video, you might get a sale.

Link to your journey threads on here and they have a head start on the hordes who think they are doing something new that you've already done ie Turkeye, Morrocco

In summary you are selling a proven, full time liveable MH that has served you well.
I wouldn't sell it to those clowns on principle

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam
You'll be pleased to read this is my last comment on hab checks 😄
Some potential buyers may want one, some may not. If I was selling I'd want to appeal to all of them. And all potential buyers are, for the seller, potential time wasters, they can all decide they don't want it.
I understand you are focussed on Doc, getting it useable and habitable. Selling Moby may take some more effort further down the line. Hopefully it doesn't deteriorate too much with standing. Best of luck with both.
An aside: when selling our van with a drop down bed last year, we had a couple travel to look at it. It took 30 seconds for them to say it was not suitable cos their shit sue wouldn't be able to jump onto the bed!! And there were several photos of the bed in position in the ad 🤔
Yes it was the bed that put off the original buyer I had on here.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Everyone takes my threads of track so I might as well have a go.
A proper engine for you on a proper boat we are on.

Its slightly rellavant all the crew are Scots and I canny understand a word. 🤣

View attachment 948767

View attachment 948768
View attachment 948769
Can't see very well but the engine, when I was messing about with them, is what we called an old ' up & downer' then we went to turbines. 🤔

Is that aboard the Waveney?

Cheers Jock, of course I meant the Waverly! 😄

Sadly never been on her! 😢

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Everyone takes my threads of track so I might as well have a go.
A proper engine for you on a proper boat we are on.

Its slightly rellavant all the crew are Scots and I canny understand a word. 🤣

View attachment 948767

View attachment 948768
View attachment 948769
That'll be The Waverly, the last sea going paddle steamer in the world. I was first on her when I was a toddler, and have had a few trips to Arran on her. ;)

Enjoy your wee cruise Lenny. 👍

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back