The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (125 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
A few hundred miles of driving jock and those discs will be shiny again its just surface rust with not being used . The calipers are perfect now and the pads ARE not crumbling . The only damage to the pads was caused by me prising the caliper back with a prise bar through the inspection plate.

They'll be fine
I agree with you on the discs, calipers etc because if they work properly, they will work BUT for such a small outlay, I would definitely change the pads.
They definitely look dodgy and you broke a piece off with the bar, what other internal structure damage you might have done?
Don't take the risk on the front brakes that do most of the braking. 🤔

PS. Not that I'm interested in buying your other van (I'm happy with the one I have) but is there a reason why I've not seen it on 'classified', some of us don't do eBay?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I agree with you on the discs, calipers etc because if they work properly, they will work BUT for such a small outlay, I would definitely change the pads.
They definitely look dodgy and you broke a piece off with the bar, what other internal structure damage you might have done?
Don't take the risk on the front brakes that do most of the braking. 🤔

PS. Not that I'm interested in buying your other van (I'm happy with the one I have) but is there a reason why I've not seen it on 'classified', some of us don't do eBay?
It is in the classifieds somewhere but from a month ago

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They are a 100 times better tham when Tam bought the van, you should have seen the crap wiring we removed.
Aye and believe it or not it had had hab checks done just a few years before. And was riddled with leaks , dodgy wiring etc etc.

That van now is a bargain for whoever buys it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Nice job on the windows. I'm lucky mine are in perfect condition ( at the minute) did you do it yourself or have them done? What does a set of those cost ? For future reference
Thanks Tam. :)
This is the second MH which has had to have the frames out to replace the glass, and the second time on the Flair between owners. :( It took two of us a day and a half to completion, and that was just replacing the static units.
The cost? Thousands if using the likes of Broonfools, Troubleworld, or Floundhams. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks Tam. :)
This is the second MH which has had to have the frames out to replace the glass, and the second time on the Flair between owners. :( It took two of us a day and a half to completion, and that was just replacing the static units.
The cost? Thousands if using the likes of Broonfools, Troubleworld, or Floundhams. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Have you any idea what causes it so I can attempt to prevent it. One of the windows in my euramobil had started to go but luckily both sides in this van are perfect at the minute. I'd rather avoid the problem than repair it if possible

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
With all the brake problems you have had before I think I would definitely be changing those pads. Old brake pads have a rep for braking up.
I have pads on order

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Ah here he comes again lol

Did you're wee light come on Charlie.

I'm just tired of folk that don't know how ebay works.

My classified listing has " make offer"

If you do that then that offer is to buy the van ,not view it etc.

My listing also states no offer will be accepted without a deposit to secure it , because when an offer is accepted through eBay the listing ends.

So someone made an offer on it , I asked for a deposit they then said they would only pay a deposit if they got it back if they didn't buy it. That's not how a deposit works. Then they asked if they could view it next Saturday....8 days away. They live in crewe ...so obviously not that interested.

The second person wanted a hab check done at their expense, which is fair enough but I'm not travelling up to wales to let someone inspect it and then coming back down.

The results of a hab check will put any newbie off anyway as I imagine they're going to state that the electrics etc have been modified , the interior has been modified etc etc etc .

Hab guys are like dealers they really know sod all apart from whats in a book

I'll wait for a genuinely interested person

Ach it will sell eventually Charlie. Or it'll sit there.

I know Charlie.. but I'd rather sell it to someone knowledgeable than a newbie relying on a "professional "
Why, it's their money.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
With all the brake problems you have had before I think I would definitely be changing those pads. Old brake pads have a rep for braking up.
Yep they either break up because of being old , brittle and dry or will glaze over when running hot

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Obviously a generalisation, however, I would suggest most people buying a van, regardless of price, want to just jump in it and set off, they do not want to be chasing endless electric problems and fixing leaks, nor replacing fridges. A Hab check at the very least lets them know the fridge, the heating, hot water and 12v/230v systems were working at the point of inspection and that the damp meter was suggesting its not leaking like a sieve. They see this as a basic assurance, the same people would not buy a car without an MOT. You have made it abundantly clear that you do not want an Hab check done on the van, and that because you know that basic assurance isn't really that useful you are not going to allow any potential buyer to have that level of comfort either, I think we all get that now and that you want it to go to some one who would understand and appreciate it. Once again, fine, its your van, your choice. you are happy to sit on it and wait for such a person to come along. You also have the experience of buying and selling numerous vehicles and are in a better position to know your buyer is out there and will come along and gladly buy it unseen. My long winded point is simply that the rest of us do not have this level of experience nor would we buy a van under these circumstances and hence your apparent intransient stand point seems alien to us, so you simply need to stick two fingers up and tell us all to feck off and stop trying to tell someone with your level of experience how to suck eggs.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would give it a miss as it has automatic temperature compensation so at low temperatures the voltage will be far too high and at high temperatures it will be too low.
Also the float charge is too high.

View attachment 948600
The temperature sensor is optional though and wasn't fitted on ours, without one it will just be a flatline 14.4v 13.8v I imagine, what float voltage does Tams battery require as our Lithium say 13.8v recommended.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why, it's their money.
Because 99% chance they won't buy it. They will take a so called "expert " or "professional " opinion over the person who owns the van , did/had the work to it done.

I'm happy for any buyer with knowledge to come view the van and poke around to their hearts content . I can show them every single thing on the van warts and all.

If it was sat outside here beside me I wouldn't hesitate to let someone waste £150+ on a hab check

But driving all the way up to wales at a specified time to let them look isn't the same.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The temperature sensor is optional though and wasn't fitted on ours, without one it will just be a flatline 14.4v 13.8v I imagine, what float voltage does Tams battery require as our Lithium say 13.8v recommended.
Most Lithium's require a float of 13.5v at that voltage they won't charge. Your Super B's are not the average battery.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah the temp sender isn't plugged in as far as I can see

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Because 99% chance they won't buy it. They will take a so called "expert " or "professional " opinion over the person who owns the van , did/had the work to it done.

I'm happy for any buyer with knowledge to come view the van and poke around to their hearts content . I can show them every single thing on the van warts and all.

If it was sat outside here beside me I wouldn't hesitate to let someone waste £150+ on a hab check

But driving all the way up to wales at a specified time to let them look isn't the same.
Amazing how many people want to argue about your choices!! :rolleyes:

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Obviously a generalisation, however, I would suggest most people buying a van, regardless of price, want to just jump in it and set off, they do not want to be chasing endless electric problems and fixing leaks, nor replacing fridges. A Hab check at the very least lets them know the fridge, the heating, hot water and 12v/230v systems were working at the point of inspection and that the damp meter was suggesting its not leaking like a sieve. They see this as a basic assurance, the same people would not buy a car without an MOT. You have made it abundantly clear that you do not want an Hab check done on the van, and that because you know that basic assurance isn't really that useful you are not going to allow any potential buyer to have that level of comfort either, I think we all get that now and that you want it to go to some one who would understand and appreciate it. Once again, fine, its your van, your choice. you are happy to sit on it and wait for such a person to come along. You also have the experience of buying and selling numerous vehicles and are in a better position to know your buyer is out there and will come along and gladly buy it unseen. My long winded point is simply that the rest of us do not have this level of experience nor would we buy a van under these circumstances and hence your apparent intransient stand point seems alien to us, so you simply need to stick two fingers up and tell us all to feck off and stop trying to tell someone with your level of experience how to suck eggs.
Yes, but at the moment he seems to be sticking two fingers up to prospective buyers.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, but at the moment he seems to be sticking two fingers up to prospective buyers.
I can spot ditherers and timewasters from miles away these days.

£15k plus is a lot of money

The first step surely is to actually speak to the seller on the phone.

Not shell out for a hab check

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Most Lithium's require a float of 13.5v at that voltage they won't charge. Your Super B's are not the average battery.
That’s why I wondered what Tams actually called for, with a decent capacity lithium the standard charger is not much more than a trickle anyway so a lot of the time it could be switched off, not that he will be on hook up much anyway.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That’s why I wondered what Tams actually called for, with a decent capacity lithium the standard charger is not much more than a trickle anyway so a lot of the time it could be switched off, not that he will be on hook up much anyway.
I just wanted to give it an initial charge for now.

I will probably remove the charger and fit a lithium suitable one later as a back up but once solar and b2b is fitted I'm hoping I never need to use it.

And of course once I check out the generator I'll have to work around that too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back