The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (148 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've never bought a van with a hab check and never had one done since my frankia as most of the time the one doing it is a clown. The few folk on here that get them done is because of a warranty

This is a 26 year old motorhome that is far from original. I can only see problems letting any so called professional near it.

P.si just bought a van that the fridge didn't work and the gas system was incomplete 😂😂
Yes but tam you are a complete one off and I tend to think the same as you but there are millions that don't do ,if you need to deal with them you have to follow their ideas I'm afraid.
Just ignoring them won't help you sell your van.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I've never bought a van with a hab check and never had one done since my frankia as most of the time the one doing it is a clown. The few folk on here that get them done is because of a warranty

This is a 26 year old motorhome that is far from original. I can only see problems letting any so called professional near it.

P.si just bought a van that the fridge didn't work and the gas system was incomplete 😂😂
Yes but you have the skills and time to fix it.
I can understand your concern but you surely have to meet them half way so you can sell the van?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
All that , to me just looks like normal questions, what do you want them to do?
Ah here he comes again lol

Did you're wee light come on Charlie.

I'm just tired of folk that don't know how ebay works.

My classified listing has " make offer"

If you do that then that offer is to buy the van ,not view it etc.

My listing also states no offer will be accepted without a deposit to secure it , because when an offer is accepted through eBay the listing ends.

So someone made an offer on it , I asked for a deposit they then said they would only pay a deposit if they got it back if they didn't buy it. That's not how a deposit works. Then they asked if they could view it next Saturday....8 days away. They live in crewe ...so obviously not that interested.

The second person wanted a hab check done at their expense, which is fair enough but I'm not travelling up to wales to let someone inspect it and then coming back down.

The results of a hab check will put any newbie off anyway as I imagine they're going to state that the electrics etc have been modified , the interior has been modified etc etc etc .

Hab guys are like dealers they really know sod all apart from whats in a book

I'll wait for a genuinely interested person

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes but tam you are a complete one off and I tend to think the same as you but there are millions that don't do ,if you need to deal with them you have to follow their ideas I'm afraid.
Ach it will sell eventually Charlie. Or it'll sit there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If prospective buyer is paying for the hab check what's to lose?
It's not like an MOT which is a matter of record.
I just feel its a waste of time me going all the way up there to let someone check it over Vic. Knowing full well they'll not encourage the buyer to buy it.

It's a newbie woman who asked. She's better going and buying something newer and standard .

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

I think that is why Ian_H said that. 🤭

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ah here he comes again lol

Did you're wee light come on Charlie.

I'm just tired of folk that don't know how ebay works.

My classified listing has " make offer"

If you do that then that offer is to buy the van ,not view it etc.

My listing also states no offer will be accepted without a deposit to secure it , because when an offer is accepted through eBay the listing ends.

So someone made an offer on it , I asked for a deposit they then said they would only pay a deposit if they got it back if they didn't buy it. That's not how a deposit works. Then they asked if they could view it next Saturday....8 days away. They live in crewe ...so obviously not that interested.

The second person wanted a hab check done at their expense, which is fair enough but I'm not travelling up to wales to let someone inspect it and then coming back down.

The results of a hab check will put any newbie off anyway as I imagine they're going to state that the electrics etc have been modified , the interior has been modified etc etc etc .

Hab guys are like dealers they really know sod all apart from whats in a book

I'll wait for a genuinely interested person
Don't know why you are getting uppity at me , I was only stating the obvious, which others might not do because they don't want to upset you.
Either you want to sell it or you don't.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540

People also get them done because they don't know enough about servicing things themselves and want to be safe. Or want some reassurance that the van they may buy is actually in the condition the seller claims.
My tongue was firmly in my cheek re fridge and gas, I have been following this thread! 😀
I realise it is awkward for you with the van 250 miles away, but do you really expect someone to take your word for it and buy the van without looking at it? You took an expert along to look at Doc, if a buyer doesnt have someone like that, the hab check is something they can do. £15K is a lot of anyones money, and many genuine buyers will want to be as sure as they can be that itis as claimed. If you are frightened about what a hab check may reveal, how honest is your advert?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's also worth noting I've had around 10/12 people express interest, ask to view ,a few even made offers but NONE will actually speak to you on the phone.

That just tells me folk aren't genuine.

The guy who made the offer last night I ended up phoning him .

He was so clueless it was unbelievable.

When he said they'd pay a deposit if I guaranteed to refund it if they didn't buy it I just gave up . That was after them making an official offer through ebay.

At the minute I've no interest in going back and forth to Wales for potential timewasters . It's hours of driving and it puts Just smiffy out having to drive Me. And it's costly in fuel.

It isn't the best situation the van being so far away from me.

If I get someone who is willing to chat on the phone ,seems genuinely interested and knows a bit about a motorhome and then wants to view it I'd be more inclined to travel up there . But I just get a feeling none of the folk interested so far are my buyer .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If prospective buyer is paying for the hab check what's to lose?
It's not like an MOT which is a matter of record.

Like you I've never had a hab check or bought a MH with one - bought 2 unseen off ebay - this one and another - photos and descriptions were enough :giggle:

Edit. I phoned both sellers (y)

Like you say you have to weigh up whether the buyer is serious, a woman first time buyer - maybe not...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
A bit late in catching up, as I've been busy myself replacing glass units in the cab side windows, ie, out with old and in with the new. (y)

1726211093979.jpeg 1726211164093.jpeg 1726211215679.jpeg 1726211260185.jpeg

I'm sorry Tam, but if it was our Flair's front discs looking pitted, and with pads crumbling like that, it would have to be new discs and pads for me, and yes, I do appreciate you are on a budget.
About 12 - 18 months ago, my front discs and pads were replaced, and the calipers stripped down and serviced using a servicing kit. (y) Much cheaper than buying replacement calipers.
The rear discs and drums were serviced a few weeks ago, with only new pads required. (y)

Glad to see that you've sussed out the step light. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
People also get them done because they don't know enough about servicing things themselves and want to be safe. Or want some reassurance that the van they may buy is actually in the condition the seller claims.
My tongue was firmly in my cheek re fridge and gas, I have been following this thread! 😀
I realise it is awkward for you with the van 250 miles away, but do you really expect someone to take your word for it and buy the van without looking at it? You took an expert along to look at Doc, if a buyer doesnt have someone like that, the hab check is something they can do. £15K is a lot of anyones money, and many genuine buyers will want to be as sure as they can be that itis as claimed. If you are frightened about what a hab check may reveal, how honest is your advert?
The least the buyer would want is to make sure all fuses work etc. as you can't always rely on people being able to do that🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Another reason we have them done:
This from Alan Boswell Insurance web site

Is a habitation check a legal requirement?​

No. Unlike an MOT, a habitation check is not a legal requirement. However, you may find that your insurance company requires an annual check to maintain your cover. Even if it doesn’t, it’s wise to have a regular inspection. For example, if your gas systems hadn’t been checked recently, and you had a gas bottle explosion, your insurer may not settle your claim.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've sold literally hundreds of vehicles. Never had one inspected by anyone .

This van had a hab check done in October last year. I could write a very long list of the things he clearly didn't have knowledge of.

I didn't take any "expert" with me to view doc , a friend offered to come along for a look and offer a second opinion.

The person who wanted a habcheck is a newbie with a more "experienced " friend advising them .

That more experienced friend doesn't sound very experienced to me.

Personally I'd think having a chat with the owner would be the best first move before spending money having a stranger do a hab inspection.

But then maybe I'm old fashioned.

My advert is very honest , I know the van inside and out and bar the entrance step having an issue the van has zero faults or issues 🤷‍♂️

But the electrics are uncertified , it's had previous water ingress which has been repaired and its 26 years old.

I'd rather a knowledgeable person looked it over themselves than allow any clown do it for a living.

I don't trust hab guys anymore than I trust dealers .

And many who I consider knowledgeable on here would agree.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Nope.

No. Unlike an MOT, a habitation check is not a legal requirement. However, you may find that your insurance company requires an annual check to maintain your cover. Even if it doesn’t, it’s wise to have a regular inspection. For example, if your gas systems hadn’t been checked recently, and you had a gas bottle explosion, your insurer may not settle your claim.
Tongue in cheek you said. 😉

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Nope.

What qualifications does the person doing the check have to have?

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

This van had a hab check done in October last year. I could write a very long list of the things he clearly didn't have knowledge of.

I didn't take any "expert" with me to view doc , a friend offered to come along for a look and offer a second opinion.

The person who wanted a habcheck is a newbie with a more "experienced " friend advising them .

Personally I'd think having a chat with the owner would be the best first move before spending money having a stranger do a hab inspection.

My advert is very honest , I know the van inside and out and bar the entrance step having an issue the van has zero faults or issues 🤷‍♂️

But the electrics are uncertified , it's had previous water ingress which has been repaired and its 26 years old.

I'd rather a knowledgeable person looked it over themselves than allow any clown do it for a living.

Just a personal thing but the last thing I want to do is speak to someone on the phone but then I'm a miserable bugger😀

But it's sometimes quicker and easier to speak and you can maybe get a feel of the seller or maybe not if they're good scammers (not you Tam) as we've seen elsewhere.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

I’m sure Lenny HB has done an excellent job on the electrics.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A bit late in catching up, as I've been busy myself replacing glass units in the cab side windows, ie, out with old and in with the new. (y)

View attachment 948639 View attachment 948641 View attachment 948642 View attachment 948643

I'm sorry Tam, but if it was our Flair's front discs looking pitted, and with pads crumbling like that, it would have to be new discs and pads for me, and yes, I do appreciate you are on a budget.
About 12 - 18 months ago, my front discs and pads were replaced, and the calipers stripped down and serviced using a servicing kit. (y) Much cheaper than buying replacement calipers.
The rear discs and drums were serviced a few weeks ago, with only new pads required. (y)

Cheers,

A few hundred miles of driving jock and those discs will be shiny again its just surface rust with not being used . The calipers are perfect now and the pads ARE not crumbling . The only damage to the pads was caused by me prising the caliper back with a prise bar through the inspection plate.

They'll be fine

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Another reason we have them done:

I'm curious how old your camper is?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

View attachment 948639 View attachment 948641 View attachment 948642 View attachment 948643

Cheers,

Nice job on the windows. I'm lucky mine are in perfect condition ( at the minute) did you do it yourself or have them done? What does a set of those cost ? For future reference

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Anywaaaaay I didn't refuse the woman doing a habcheck. I told her to give me a call and she didn't, she replied with " I'll chat to my friend and get back to you"

So she'd rather chat to her pal about my van than actually chat to Me about my van lol.

I don't believe any of these folk are serious buyers and if they are they will end up buying a right shed somewhere with a recent hab check .

Like I just did 😂😂😂

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks for the compliment ☺️

But I'm not a one of Charlie there are literally hundreds if not thousands of vehicles sold by auction daily to people who haven't viewed them. I've bought loads and I've sold loads that way too. Experience has just taught me that talking to the person can ease a lot of the concerns but many don't even do that.

If I was selling something dodgy I'd most likely prefer to sell to some clueless newbie but I would prefer to sell moby to someone with a bit of motorhome experience that knows what they're buying and appreciates it.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
I'm curious how old your camper is?
I sold a 14 year old La Strada last year. Had it from new and had a hab check done every year by a local servicing guy who originally worked for La Strada in Belgium. I'm sure there are cowboys who do hab checks. I'm also sure this guy is excellent. He also did the odd job on the van for me such as fit new electric step. I thought the record of hab checks helped sell the van. Bought a new Globecar last year, had to let them service it this year for the warranty. Will go back to using Kurt next year.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the compliment ☺️

But I'm not a one of Charlie there are literally hundreds if not thousands of vehicles sold by auction daily to people who haven't viewed them. I've bought loads and I've sold loads that way too. Experience has just taught me that talking to the person can ease a lot of the concerns but many don't even do that.

If I was selling something dodgy I'd most likely prefer to sell to some clueless newbie but I would prefer to sell moby to someone with a bit of motorhome experience that knows what they're buying and appreciates it.
I too have bought vehicles unseen and never had an habcheck and never gone wrong but as said, everyone is not like us.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back