The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (133 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
OK we have the fridge out and turned upside down . View attachment 942943

I've given it a bit of a shake and a wobble , Just smiffy seems to think we should hear something, burbling or whatever, and we can't. For those who tried this did you hear any burbling? There's no smell of anything as far as I can see and no visible signs of any leaks . The elements on the back are rusty as always as the powder coating has flaked off here and there but looks better than most of my previous vans fridges did.
When I did my fridge, I can’t recall any gurgling (but it was about 20 years ago). I just left upside down overnight. Fingers crossed for a positive result 👍

Cheers

Trevor

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jock, if this battery is gone on the control panel on tams van what are the consequences of it… we have changed the hab battery for only on battery but it is a known good fully charged one and we are getting the same symptoms as he got last night with the panel going off as soon as he turns it on…🤷🏼‍♂️
It would certainly affect operation of the control panel Garry, as it retains power to the panel when in standby mode, and at 20 x years old, it's well past it's service life.
For the sake of a tenner at most, I'd be replacing it, especially if you are handy with intricate soldering. I'm not, nor do I have the right kit, but my local TV repair guy sorted it out for me.

Look on the back of the panel for leakage. Mine was showing signs of corrosion, but not liquid leakage, as others have done.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I used a 2 x pin G4 (warm white) capsule LED bulb, as I did on all those over the vanity area mirrors, but using bright white bulbs. (y) The difference was amazing, and pleases the Boss who uses the mirrors far more than I need to. :LOL:

But what does it read an hour after unplugging the EHU?

BTW Tam, those two switches on the bottom row of the panel, need to be off if not required, (or are optional equipment), especially the Duo Control anti frost heaters.

If it's the same panel, on the PCB at the rear of the panel. I have just replaced ours with a genuine Varta one. I was alerted that they can leak over time, causing damage to the PCB. :(

smiffy. That's not a Turkish pipe your about to suck on Garry. :LOL:

View attachment 942954

Cheers,

OK thats cool as I ordered a load of those 2 pin g4 bulbs .

Those bottom switches on my panel seem to work the gas valves. if I turn them off my gas don't work

I'll remove the control panel and look at that battery.

We took off the 2 batteries this morning and put 1 back on that Just smiffy had and now the control panel won't come on and stay on 🤷‍♂️ someone once told me if you do something and something don't work then reverse what you did to see if it does again so will have to try again with the 2 batteries.

Something isn't right but not sure what

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Best Wishes Good Luck GIF by Studios 2016
For the fridge and everything else.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Know it's not a pressing issue at the mo but there's a s/h victron shunt on eBay

I have a Chinese coulomb meter on my van that is far more functional than that and about the same price but if I linked to it Lenny HB would tell you it's a load of Chinese crap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK thats cool as I ordered a load of those 2 pin g4 bulbs .

Those bottom switches on my panel seem to work the gas valves. if I turn them off my gas don't work

I'll remove the control panel and look at that battery.

We took off the 2 batteries this morning and put 1 back on that Just smiffy had and now the control panel won't come on and stay on 🤷‍♂️ someone once told me if you do something and something don't work then reverse what you did to see if it does again so will have to try again with the 2 batteries.

Something isn't right but not sure what
I know the instructions say hold the ON button for two seconds but sometimes I believe people have had to hold it in for a lot longer, didn't you have that Jock JockandRita.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We took off the 2 batteries this morning and put 1 back on that @Just smiffy had and now the control panel won't come on and stay on 🤷‍♂️ someone once told me if you do something and something don't work then reverse what you did to see if it does again so will have to try again with the 2 batteries.
When changing batteries make sure you turn off the control panel a leave it a few minutes before isolating the batteries.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I know the instructions say hold the ON button for two seconds but sometimes I believe people have had to hold it in for a lot longer, didn't you have that Jock JockandRita.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that Martin, but now remember you coming to my rescue thanks, with the advice which was................"Hold down the ON button for several seconds". after 2 x failed attempts, (too short a time), I ended up holding it down for about 20 - 30 x seconds, when the panel suddenly sprang back to life. (y) smiffy & Northernraider

Cheers,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yep position 3 is empty and despite it saying sos lights on I never had any
probably because no fuse in? You would still get the panel message though?
Yeah I saw that .. other side of the country though unfortunately
& sold
For those who tried this did you hear any burbling?
No .
Can u get 3 way fridges re gassed if the ammonia has leaked out ( obviously find the leak at the same time 🤔
I only know of one person who has ever done it.I could probably have done it myself ,when working & with access to ammonia but it would also involve being able to weld.
Just fit this… give virtually the same capacity as a pair of gels and 1/3rd of the weight. ✔️

as above says sold on ad

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
OK we have the fridge out and turned upside down . View attachment 942943

I've given it a bit of a shake and a wobble , Just smiffy seems to think we should hear something, burbling or whatever, and we can't. For those who tried this did you hear any burbling? There's no smell of anything as far as I can see and no visible signs of any leaks . The elements on the back are rusty as always as the powder coating has flaked off here and there but looks better than most of my previous vans fridges did.
Just love the look on Gary’s face - crowbar in hand, ah no it’s not it’s Henry. Now he’s stuck there. Hope doors are behind him

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right , we connected one of the other batteries back up and it made no difference. I removed the control panel and yes that small battery has leaked or corroded so I'll order one of those. However as I get no gas or anything with the panel off I cleaned the small battery just now and refitted the panel. Tried switching it on... the first 2 attempts it just beeped and went off again but 3rd time it stayed on and is still on at the minute will see how that fairs. I've got EHU back on and charger connected to recharge batteries but they still showing 13+ volts so I think they're OK just now and it's either that battery on control panel causing probs or something else

I did find put though that the satellite system was wired direct to batteries and I've now removed that cable .. so only the power cables now running ro the batteries from the electric boxes in big locker so I'm wondering why they have the batteries si far away and can I relocate battery to inside that big locker next to the charger.

So for now the panel is on I'll see how that goes overnight , I'll order a battery for the controller. The fridge is upside down till tomorrow. Just smiffy is watching gran prix and I'm going on roof after lunch to remove satellite dish

Oh and that short arse scratched me new van 😭😭😭 nae patience he has .

That big box is definitely charger and not an inverter
20240901_131259_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240901_131303_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Photo of electrics for Lenny HB

20240901_131310_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Photo of battery in control panel
20240901_131445_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240901_131500_copy_1612x1209.jpg

I've not had a chance to read all comments etc so if I've missed any ill get them later

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Right , we connected one of the other batteries back up and it made no difference. I removed the control panel and yes that small battery has leaked or corroded so I'll order one of those. However as I get no gas or anything with the panel off I cleaned the small battery just now and refitted the panel. Tried switching it on... the first 2 attempts it just beeped and went off again but 3rd time it stayed on and is still on at the minute will see how that fairs. I've got EHU back on and charger connected to recharge batteries but they still showing 13+ volts so I think they're OK just now and it's either that battery on control panel causing probs or something else

I did find put though that the satellite system was wired direct to batteries and I've now removed that cable .. so only the power cables now running ro the batteries from the electric boxes in big locker so I'm wondering why they have the batteries si far away and can I relocate battery to inside that big locker next to the charger.

So for now the panel is on I'll see how that goes overnight , I'll order a battery for the controller. The fridge is upside down till tomorrow. Just smiffy is watching gran prix and I'm going on roof after lunch to remove satellite dish

Oh and that short arse scratched me new van 😭😭😭 nae patience he has .

That big box is definitely charger and not an inverter View attachment 943033View attachment 943035

Photo of electrics for Lenny HB

View attachment 943036

Photo of battery in control panel View attachment 943037View attachment 943044

I've not had a chance to read all comments etc so if I've missed any ill get them later
Best of luck Lenny HB that lot sends me in a panic. No good with electrics.

Carol

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C-Tourer
Exp
since 2001
Tam, when I did the fridge upside down thing with my old van, I was shown a restriction in the rear pipework, rather than a nice sweeping bend on the top right if I remember correctly, using a nylon hammer I gave it a clout and it disturbed the sediment and you could hear the liquid inside gushing through the pipework

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've stuck to it since February only milo was getting in the bed but that stops now too ...its too high for any of them to jump in and I've a door to close it off. To be honest the other 3 aren't fussed only milo objects but he will cope. I want my bedroom and bathroom hair free.
It won't be
Our dogs don't go into the washroom but there are always more hairs there than anywhere else.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just take care with that control panel because mine shut down and would not come back to life. Sent to Appletree for repair who advised computer chip had lost its program or got corrupt so then had to have new control panel and fuse/distribution box as only N & B have their program for the chip! Probably needs power maintained, hence the little battery.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
IMO I think threads and content like this would make good video via a YouTube channel. Especially when/because the OP travels so much. It's a lot of work though having a successful YouTube channel, but I'd watch it. I like stuff to be real and not made up for effect and I like dogs.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Some people never ever close them, especialy at home, i never close a door (except outside ones) cant see point. (Its too small)
But we are all different and I cannot use a toilet without closing the door 😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back