The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (39 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Right I've bought a fridge .

Second hand 8 series dometic 3 way , don't work on mains but works well on gas apparently and 12v maintains the temps when driving. Its 5 years old , has 2 new electrical bits on it thst cost over 200 quid and I paid 200 for the fridge.

My reasons

Well if my fridge had worked from the off I would not have been changing it.

To buy a compressor one now not only would cost me in excess of £700 for the fridge but would also increase what lithium I would need to buy by another £700 and I'd need more equipment to recharge those batteries.

So for now this fridge which is in excellent condition cosmetically and should fit straight in with no cabinet modifications is the way to go for now.

Might have to do a fit fiddling with gas pipe and wiring connections etc but it will fit in the hole the original came out of and will look nice in there
Nice one, looking forward to seeing it in position.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My fridge packed up working on electric - turned out to be a defunct element.
Maybe test that before putting it in your space? Just in case... you never know.
It's had a new element and a new black box on the back ..one cost £180 quid the other £30 , he said someone said something about some paste when fitting element but he never done thst.. other possible fault is the control panel .

But to be honest I don't use hook up very often so of it works on gas it will be fine

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hoping for a good result with fridge.
Thinking about your Lithium and on board generator, would you need a 240v charger if you wanted to charge batteries with the generator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
New to Motorhome, experienced caravanner 😊
If you can forgive a deviation in conversation and admire this old beauty we saw today in Kaysersberg. Labelled on the rear as a Belmont Blitz.

IMG_3863.jpeg

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Tell you one thing , whenever you move this new fridge all you can hear is fluid swishing about in the big heat exchanger pipes ... never heard a thing in my old fridge so I reckon all the fluid is gone from my old one .
Will you need to let that settle for 24 hrs before you turn it on???
If you can forgive a deviation in conversation and admire this old beauty we saw today in Kaysersberg. Labelled on the rear as a Belmont Blitz.

View attachment 944479
Is that based on a CF Bedford ??😁

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

View attachment 944479
Based on a Bedford cf

Jul 21, 2021
Newquay, UK
Funster No
MH
HYMER B704SL
Exp
Hi Northernraider
I will keep an eye on updates 👍, hope the seat catch didn’t mark front of door
Element was £126.99 - purchased 13.02.2024
Black box was £204.50 - purchased 29.04.2024
If going forward the reason for fridge not working on EHU is either of above is faulty, if still within warranty I can ask for replacement for you.
Best of luck, and thanks for advice re Dog in EU

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Whenever we move a fridge I always make sure it never gets upturned too much. If it does we don't turn it on for 24 hours.
This is coming from a mobile catering man who's used to throwing kit in and out of wagons.
It let's everything settle back into place.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 14th year & still loving it.
I know that compressor makes sense ....I'm just a little worried that I'm reliant on one energy source .

I'm unsure about buying a second hand one too .

And I'm also unsure of the sizes as I don't want to have an unsightly modification to fit a different size fridge

Basically I'm just worried about everything lol
I wouldn't be worried about buying a 2nd fridge, earlier this year as we left home for Cornwall I went to turn the fridge off mains to Gas and got a shock, the bloody thing wasn't on, I checked the food in the freezer, still solid frozen.
So I thought bugger it nothing I can do about it now. Got to Cornwall checked the two 20amp fuses behind the drivers seat and they were ok, Looked at the other 12v fuses and couldn't find any marked fridge, so we looked on facebook and found a couple of 2nd hand fridges, ended up buying your everyday home kitchen fridge from Plymouth £70.
Almost as new spotless inside, ran it in the awning for 3 weeks, kept the food colder than the 3 way fridge and we had a bigger ice box.
Later in the week we found a 10amp fuse had blown labelled Permanent Supplies, (Should have guessed that one) fitted a new fuse and presto the fridge was back up and running, so now we have a spare fridge.
Have to say though next year when we are back at Carnon downs for 3 wks we'll take that spare fridge with us.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hi Northernraider
I will keep an eye on updates 👍, hope the seat catch didn’t mark front of door
Element was £126.99 - purchased 13.02.2024
Black box was £204.50 - purchased 29.04.2024
If going forward the reason for fridge not working on EHU is either of above is faulty, if still within warranty I can ask for replacement for you.
Best of luck, and thanks for advice re Dog in EU
Ah hello there , I did wonder if you might be on here I was going to ask then got sidetracked

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Right I've bought a fridge .

Second hand 8 series dometic 3 way , don't work on mains but works well on gas apparently and 12v maintains the temps when driving. Its 5 years old , has 2 new electrical bits on it thst cost over 200 quid and I paid 200 for the fridge.

My reasons

Well if my fridge had worked from the off I would not have been changing it.

To buy a compressor one now not only would cost me in excess of £700 for the fridge but would also increase what lithium I would need to buy by another £700 and I'd need more equipment to recharge those batteries.

So for now this fridge which is in excellent condition cosmetically and should fit straight in with no cabinet modifications is the way to go for now.

Might have to do a fit fiddling with gas pipe and wiring connections etc but it will fit in the hole the original came out of and will look nice in there

And I'll bang my old one on gumtree for spares or repair as it maybe of use to someone. After all there's lots of bits on it that work OK.
Two messages and you got a good deal, the power of MHF eh mate.
Not important for now but handy if 240 works. Uncle lenny can test that for you lol. Id still check all the edge connections on pcb not the power one.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So the fridge is in ...took a while to get the old one out the van and new one in then had to fettle with it to get it in snug.

Got the gas pipes connected up but we've still the wiring to do ... raining and windy so we're having a cuppa

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Quirky Campers might be a good site to sell Moby, looks as though it’s aiming at vanlifers who’d appreciate the decor and off grid stuff.

Yes I'd thought about putting it on there , I stuck the euramobil on there last year but its all high mileage transits for crazy money

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back