The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (62 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
You are getting too much advise from such disparate sources, some who know what they are talking about and some who just mean well. You need to start shutting down (imho) and just listening to, and seeking advise from a trusted few, just smiffy, Lenny and only a few others and then put it out to the wider audience when you have a specific question. You can leave the blog running to update all the well wishers and it will give your head two minutes to focus on the way ahead. Give yourself, or your head at least, a break.
Problem is some people are giving advice who never go on EHU yet they fitted a 120a mains charger cos they could🤣🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This Tam. Even with my basic fridge I never have confidence that it will perform well . I would be even worse than you at considering a second hand one albeit supposedly in excellent working condition .It would have to be cheap enough to be 'throwaway' for me.
Here in spain, you can still buy gas fridges. It stems from when you could always get gas but no one had electric.

This gives me confidence that if I change to a compressor my existing set up will cope.(y)
I know that compressor makes sense ....I'm just a little worried that I'm reliant on one energy source .

I'm unsure about buying a second hand one too .

And I'm also unsure of the sizes as I don't want to have an unsightly modification to fit a different size fridge

Basically I'm just worried about everything lol

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I binned the gel idea last week , I'm definitely fitting lithium , I had accepted the fact I'd need at least 300ah and knew that was going to cost me around £700 and then solar panel , solar charger and b2b ...plus cables I figured around £1500 in total

But now I'm being told 300ah won't be enough , so 🤷 my brain hurts Ade.
I know🤣🤣 I originally planned for 1x300 fogstar, then I decided I’d futureproof it by doing 600ah all in one go, it’s done and dusted now, I don’t have to worry about anything! That said there’s 2 of us and we just plug in anything we need, it’s great! If you had a good B2B and lots of solar you might just need the one 300ah fogstar but defintely bin the 3 way fridge idea (I’ve done nothing but spend money on mine, fridge door seal, paste x 2 5 new fans, new burner, and now it IS behaving itself but if it packs in ONE more time, it’s gone! ) and go compressor!!
I’ve never heard anyone doing it the other way round😉😁😁😁

For the best advice listen to uncle Lenny HB 👍👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Don’t take this the wrong way but it’s your life & your van so it’s a big thing to you , BUT not to everyone , the watchers are likely to be genuine watches & not funsters , especially as you have asked any funsters who was watching to stop

BUT of the 100 plus watchers there will only be a few that MAYBE POSSIBLY interested in buying , same will apply to Facebook , nearly all time wasters BUT it only takes one genuine punter
It does have a very high number of watchers compared to the other motorhomes on ebay and a lot of viewings . The other mobilvetta the same model as mine had 19 watchers over the 3 weeks it was advertised . I think I have 105 at the minute.

I have had around 6/7 people enquiring about it but none have sounded very interested or keen.

When I see something I want I go view it or buy it within a day or so ...I don't piss about watching it or asking the odd question here and there.

I'm confident the first person who views moby will buy it.

It's a good quality van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
That’s how I feel about my fridge.
I know🤣🤣 I originally planned for 1x300 fogstar, then I decided I’d futureproof it by doing 600ah all in one go, it’s done and dusted now, I don’t have to worry about anything! That said there’s 2 of us and we just plug in anything we need, it’s great! If you had a good B2B and lots of solar you might just need the one 300ah fogstar but defintely bin the 3 way fridge idea (I’ve done nothing but spend money on mine, fridge door seal, paste x 2 5 new fans, new burner, and now it IS behaving itself but if it packs in ONE more time, it’s gone! ) and go compressor!!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Uncle Lenny HB is my electrical guru and I trust him

But he forgets I've nae wage or pension and I'm still 15 years + from retirement lol.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Uncle Lenny HB is my electrical guru and I trust him

But he forgets I've nae wage or pension and I'm still 15 years + from retirement lol.
But you forget he’s tighter than you and me, but not quite as tight as suavecarve !!
One thing he does is give you the best VALUE for money option required of your needs, he won’t spend your money if he doesn’t think you need to👍

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
Quirky Campers might be a good site to sell Moby, looks as though it’s aiming at vanlifers who’d appreciate the decor and off grid stuff.

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
I see that Jacksons Leisure have a load of compressor fridge freezers on their website all sorts of shapes & sizes and they don't seem overly expensive 🤔

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Before you make a 'final' decision about which type of fridge and how much lithium etc - is it worth seeing if you can "easily" get the generator to work?

If you can, then surely that would ease your mind about reliance on one power source?

Come to that - I bet you have payload for a small lpg powered generator as an emergency backup... £400 for a new 1kw one.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Before you make a 'final' decision about which type of fridge and how much lithium etc - is it worth seeing if you can "easily" get the generator to work?

If you can, then surely that would ease your mind about reliance on one power source?

Come to that - I bet you have payload for a small lpg powered generator as an emergency backup... £400 for a new 1kw one.
Yes I think we are going to have a look at the generator today or tomorrow.

I'm unsure now whether to look at this second hand fridge today or not .

If my fridge had worked I would not have been looking at replacing it just now .....later maybe but not right now as I have other priorities

So I think if the second hand one that runs on gas only is the correct size to just slot in and the price is negotiable I might buy it just to get up and running for now. And maybe change to a compressor fridge later. I'll discuss it with Gary and see what he thinks .

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
I checked eBay and im Not watching. Thought it was on Autotrader. No wonder I couldn’t find it. Was checking in case I had been watching it and was going to remove it.

Lenny HB when you are up and caught up on latest pages. Do you think you can chat to Tam to tell him his best way forward. Then as he values your input he will listen. You know his problems and shallow pockets. What should he do. We don’t all need to know. But Tam does. Second hand 3way near me doesn’t sound great but that’s me and I’m not Tam.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You're probably fed up with all the advice over the fridge but you've had 3 extended trips.

You must have some idea of gas/12v usage.

You say you will probably stay a few days at stops but I can't see you staying in any one place for weeks on end.....

I travel most days with one 95ah lead battery and single solar panel......

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
I can't see how with a 3 way fridge how 300ah of lithium with 400watt of solar and a decent b2b won't be enough . But if it isn't then I'll possibly add more to it later.
I ve only read the last 5 pages, but based on our 280 lithium which we use for air fryer (not any more til we get solar) and charging e bikes, I don't see an issue at all with 300 ah for YOUR intended usage.
Reckon you've got the solar about right as well. Possible Jenny and a b2b as boosters, and then, if all the calculations are wrong form out for the extra battery.

With the sale of Moby, there must be some sort of Anzac motorhome purchase site. We have met a few anzacs in extended travels who buy a motorhome then sell it after touring Europe for a year in preference to renting. Yours would be ideal for that audience.

I also think you're right about staying away, for the moment, of dealers, unless they want to buy it at your price. It will sell, just when.

In terms of FLT status mentioned by WESTY66 I don't think I am in your league at all. And all power to you for doing so.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I checked eBay and im Not watching. Thought it was on Autotrader. No wonder I couldn’t find it. Was checking in case I had been watching it and was going to remove it.

Lenny HB when you are up and caught up on latest pages. Do you think you can chat to Tam to tell him his best way forward. Then as he values your input he will listen. You know his problems and shallow pockets. What should he do. We don’t all need to know. But Tam does. Second hand 3way near me doesn’t sound great but that’s me and I’m not Tam.
Don't worry he will ring me before he does anything.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Not sure if this will be any help or not but here goes…

I have a 110Ltr Waeco compressor fridge. Heating is diesel heater and I only cook with gas.
I have 2 x 100Ah lifepo4 battery’s, 2 x 150W solar panels, Votronic 30A B2B, 2 x Victron 30A mains charger. 2Kw generator

Not completely full time but am in the van approx 10 months of a year, importantly for this part always in the U.K. ,(low winter solar).

When there is little or no solar and I don’t move I need to run the generator approx every third day for a couple of hours to top my battery’s up. (Use around 60Ah per day).

What would make it better, debatable really, I have thought about adding another 100Ah lifepo4 but my make say only 2 in parallel plus it will still need to be recharged. Keep thinking about solar but when there is no sun in U.K. winter it isn’t going to make a difference. Being able to tilt panels would probably help but not really an option for me and the van for access and mounting.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I see that Jacksons Leisure have a load of compressor fridge freezers on their website all sorts of shapes & sizes and they don't seem overly expensive 🤔

That's where we had ours from.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

He has already bent my ear for nearly an hour.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
To many what ifs and maybe’s Tam. Just spent the money and get it sorted to how you want it and get off on your travels. It’s no good having all that money sat there and not being able to enjoy it. Don’t look to the future live for today. 👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right I've bought a fridge .

Second hand 8 series dometic 3 way , don't work on mains but works well on gas apparently and 12v maintains the temps when driving. Its 5 years old , has 2 new electrical bits on it thst cost over 200 quid and I paid 200 for the fridge.

My reasons

Well if my fridge had worked from the off I would not have been changing it.

To buy a compressor one now not only would cost me in excess of £700 for the fridge but would also increase what lithium I would need to buy by another £700 and I'd need more equipment to recharge those batteries.

So for now this fridge which is in excellent condition cosmetically and should fit straight in with no cabinet modifications is the way to go for now.

Might have to do a fit fiddling with gas pipe and wiring connections etc but it will fit in the hole the original came out of and will look nice in there

And I'll bang my old one on gumtree for spares or repair as it maybe of use to someone. After all there's lots of bits on it that work OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back