The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (104 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The dipped lamp can be be set for right or left dipping by using the slotted mountings. I don't tend to drive too much at night so I set the right one to left hand dip and the left to right dip so I don't have to bother changing them apart from for the Mot
When I get them and I'm fitting them I'll come message you to ask how to do that as I'll forget if you tell me now or it will get lost in pages of thread .

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Tam for what it's worth mate, I specified a compressor fridge/freezer for this wee van when I ordered it and along with my 350w of solar & the 150ah lithium battery set up its been great, on that latest wee trip to Europe I did over the summer there it never gave a bit of bother or ate into the battery levels, actually it was the first time I've ever checked into campsites and not required ehu, and we did loads of wild camping with it too, definitely worth it for us, I actually think it kept things colder than my previous 3 way fridges

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When I get them and I'm fitting them I'll come message you to ask how to do that as I'll forget if you tell me now or it will get lost in pages of thread .
You will work it out as it's quite self evident, and the advantage with the Flair is it's dead esy to get at the light units when you remove the silver surround (should be 2 wing nuts)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
IMHO 3 way AES Oh Please! even with cooling assistance from additional fans will never be as good as a compressor FF, they hate the door being opened in hot weather, take ages to recover down to 4C, meanwhile any delicate food stored has to be consumed very quickly.
If Tam has eventually gets enough solar & battery back up, with a decent B2B also, he will be OK, especially as he might have the on board gennie running soon, then its a no brainer...get a compressor FF for F's Sake!;):giggle:
LES
I don't know if they use less power than a domestic 240v fridge through an inverter but that's what I had on the euramobil and I'm just worried I might not have enough power . I can't count on the genny at the minute as it may/may not work. I'm fitting 400watt of solar at least more if I can . And probably 300ah of lithium. But the expense of a new fridge isn't something I'd factored in just now. I don't HAVE to do everything at once though. With a new fridge also comes having to modify/adapt the cabinet it sits in too. Which is added work.

Let's just see if my current one works first and take it from there.

Will be refitting that tomorrow and then the rest of the day I'll be on the roof as I trimmed off all the old sealant on 2 of the skylights today and I'd like to get them resealed ASAP in case they leak .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You will work it out as it's quite self evident, and the advantage with the Flair is it's dead esy to get at the light units when you remove the silver surround (should be 2 wing nuts)
Yes I saw the 2 wingnuts. I'm going to remove the leaky headlamp washers while I'm at it and give the surrounds a coat of paint . Should smarten up the front a bit , especially after a wash n polish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
There’s one of these been standing outside in a caravan site storage area very close to where we live for at least 5 years to my knowledge. Never seen it move. One of these days I might nip in and ask a few questions, just being nosy, no other reason.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Because its not working on any source we think it would likely be the coolant if it don't work . But if it doesn't work tomorrow I'm going to ring a few local refrigeration repair plaves I saw on Google round here see if it's something they'd look at
The cooling unit isn't serviceable. Google how it works and you'll understand why.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
don't know if they use less power than a domestic 240v fridge through an inverter but that's what I had on the euramobil and I'm just worried I might not have enough power
Tam just for info if it helps have a dometic

80L and it uses about 40ah over a 24h period and it's been on for 6 years now😁.I dont turn it off even if not using the van.
Cheers Cris 🍻.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Tam, apologies if I've lost it in the hundreds of posts, the genny has a gummed-up carb from the petrol evaporating you think? Take it fully apart (noting the settings of course), pack it up carefully complete with the jets and send it to me and I'll stick it thorough my ultrasonic heated cleaning tank if you want - that's what is always recommended for classic bike carbs that have suffered the same fate. Forget aerosols of carb cleaner, the varnish that evaporated petrol leaves behind gums up the passages within the carb, only an ultrasonic cleaner will shift them. Not always successful but worth a go, sounds better to me than some dodgy Chinese carb!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, apologies if I've lost it in the hundreds of posts, the genny has a gummed-up carb from the petrol evaporating you think? Take it fully apart (noting the settings of course), pack it up carefully complete with the jets and send it to me and I'll stick it thorough my ultrasonic heated cleaning tank if you want - that's what is always recommended for classic bike carbs that have suffered the same fate. Forget aerosols of carb cleaner, the varnish that evaporated petrol leaves behind gums up the passages within the carb, only an ultrasonic cleaner will shift them. Not always successful but worth a go, sounds better to me than some dodgy Chinese carb!
When I get around to the genny I'll take you up on that. I fired a new inline filter on it today and popped it in a can of new petrol.. it turns over but doesn't attempt to fire .. message on screen still reads no fuel despite it obviously flooding as it stinks of petrol. I suspect the plug will also be knackered but it's on a list of jobs to do but not in the top 5 at present . I'll hopefully get a look at it soon though

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Flairy , funflair , JockandRita
Has any of you had reason to change fuses on any of the lights in the back bedroom and would know where they are.

The fairy lights round the top of the cupboards in the bedroom were working when I viewed this van as were the 2 spotlights above the step entering the bed but I can't get any of them to work since I picked the van up.

The bedroom reading lights and the leds under the back wall cupboard all work but the others don't.

I'm assuming the switch for the fairylights is the one above my head in bed and the one for the spotlights is on the wall of bathroom as you enter . As pressing these 2 switches nothing happens.

I've checked all fuses in the main fuse box and all are fine . Can't find dedicated ones for these lights but as I said I saw them working the first time I viewed it and they're on in the photos on ebay

20240902_200752_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240902_200745_copy_1612x1209.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Flairy , funflair , JockandRita
Has any of you had reason to change fuses on any of the lights in the back bedroom and would know where they are.

The fairy lights round the top of the cupboards in the bedroom were working when I viewed this van as were the 2 spotlights above the step entering the bed but I can't get any of them to work since I picked the van up.

The bedroom reading lights and the leds under the back wall cupboard all work but the others don't.

I'm assuming the switch for the fairylights is the one above my head in bed and the one for the spotlights is on the wall of bathroom as you enter . As pressing these 2 switches nothing happens.

I've checked all fuses in the main fuse box and all are fine . Can't find dedicated ones for these lights but as I said I saw them working the first time I viewed it and they're on in the photos on ebay

View attachment 943755View attachment 943756
I can't remember where the switches are as it 5 years since we had a Flair BUT I do know that not all the fuses are in the fuse box, I also know that all the fuse positions are in the manual :LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not always successful but worth a go, sounds better to me than some dodgy Chinese carb!
You obviously didn't read my post of a successful Chinese copy carb installation, where it started first time every time thereafter.

Very similar if not the same one.

Regards,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I can't remember where the switches are as it 5 years since we had a Flair BUT I do know that not all the fuses are in the fuse box, I also know that all the fuse positions are in the manual :LOL:
They are on the right hand side Martin, as you enter the vanity area. (y)

Northernraider. Tam, is there power up to the back of the switch units? As far as I'm aware, like Martin, all the interior light circuits are covered by the designated fuses in the main fuse box.
I do know that you have to hold down the switches for a couple of seconds, for the lights to operate, ie, it's not instant.

Cheers,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My manual seems to be for older models and mostly fiat based .. everything I look at including seat operation is different

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They are on the right hand side Martin, as you enter the vanity area. (y)

Northernraider. Tam, is there power up to the back of the switch units? As far as I'm aware, like Martin, all the interior light circuits are covered the designated fuses in the main fuse box.
I do know that you have to hold down the switches for a couple of seconds, for the lights to operate, ie, it's not instant.

Cheers,

Yeah I've tried holding them but still not working .

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
When I get around to the genny I'll take you up on that. I fired a new inline filter on it today and popped it in a can of new petrol.. it turns over but doesn't attempt to fire .. message on screen still reads no fuel despite it obviously flooding as it stinks of petrol. I suspect the plug will also be knackered but it's on a list of jobs to do but not in the top 5 at present . I'll hopefully get a look at it soon though
Drop me a message when you're ready, I don't often get time to keep up to date with threads.

Sounds like the float is stuck in the bowl to me, pretty common.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Been on hookup since last night , batteries were showing 13.4 volts all day. But the charger is weird it's like an inverter charger . I've switched that off for now as seems to be constantly on
Mine shows 13.4 on EHU, it's when you unplug it that it shows the real condition of charge in your battery? 🤔

I, who knows nothing of electrics, assumed it was the power feed to the battery from the charger? 🤔

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
OK dokey so I got up this morning control panel was completely blank , went to make a coffee no gas as the gas valve is electronic so it was shut down . Went to put front blind up ...couldn't as its powered from leisure batteries lol.

I thought I'd try button on control panel and on it came lights and all . Switched all the lights off , opened front blind , opened gas valve .. panel is still on

Battery voltages read
Engine battery 12.9
Leisure batteries 13.1

The charger is currently switched off , did that last night incase it had caused the problem.

So I'm wondering what caused the panel to shut down?
I only had the under cabinet fairy lights on and the one Halogen light . Which isn't a lot. Nothing else was on.

It didn't blow the fuse for the control panel or anything.
Try it with the Halogen off and see what happens, I'm told they can sometimes cause problems? 🤔

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Mine shows 13.4 on EHU, it's when you unplug it that it shows the real condition of charge in your battery? 🤔

I, who knows nothing of electrics, assumed it was the power feed to the battery from the charger? 🤔
Try it with the Halogen off and see what happens, I'm told they can sometimes cause problems? 🤔
Yer 2 days behind

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How many wiper blades are you buying. 🤔
Feckin 2 ... ridiculous price but its big truck blades on this , nowhere else had them . It was 3rd time lucky

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back