Rally Chat The 'fairness' of booking to attend rallies (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Would the draw be secret or public?

As there would definitely be someone saying the draw was fixed 🙄😂

It could be done at the year before rally in front of the assembled Funsters.
Due notice of this would have to be given in advance so those not attending could be in with a chance of attending the following year.

I know 12 months, for some of us of a certain age, is long term planning 😄 but that's the way it seems to be going these days and monies could be paid later as usual.
It would also give those that couldn't attend the following year, the chance to say so and their place could be taken by another draw.🤔

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It could be done at the year before rally in front of the assembled Funsters.
Due notice of this would have to be given in advance so those not attending could be in with a chance of attending the following year.

I know 12 months, for some of us of a certain age, is long term planning 😄 but that's the way it seems to be going these days and monies could be paid later as usual.
It would also give those that couldn't attend the following year, the chance to say so and their place could be taken by another draw.🤔
That's another good point , how do you plan what you are doing in a years time , I don't know what I'll be doing this afternoon yet never mind a years time

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
That's another good point , how do you plan what you are doing in a years time , I don't know what I'll be doing this afternoon yet never mind a years time

I have never liked planning since my retirement and next year I'm 80 so neither do I BUT, already a few rallies are asking if people are interested straight after this year's rally and, IMO, it's maybe it's a good thing if it helps the organisers plan for next year.

Nothing is written in stone! 🤔

PS. From what you've written in the past, you don't attend rallies so you don't have to worry! 😄

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The rallies are so popular someone would soon fill your place and the organisers would refund monies paid if you were ill. If you were a plonker and just didn’t turn up then the money goes to the designated charity.

If the Funsters was the one who died and the spouse was too distressed to notify anyone then knowing the incredible spirit of MHF then I expect arrangements would be made.

I think you’re just looking for problems where there aren’t any.

We had a great time at Brid last year, couldn’t go this year unfortunately. We’ve been to a variety of rallies and meets. I wouldn’t have the patience. I’d be in jail for murder by the end of the first day if I tried to organise one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I wouldn't want to attend a rally that would allow people like me to join it...

(Thanks Mr Marx.)

JJ :cool:

PS. I hold rallies all the time on QMJ... They are arranged for City supporting, Fray Bentos eating, John Smiths drinking, ukulele hating, heavy metal loving folk who don't have dogs. >:)
Can you pre book me on your next year rally please.;)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Sarcastic Shoot GIF by Tristen J. Winger
Politician throwing is sadly banned as far as I know? 😢

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
Because of my circumstances at the time, I have rarely been able to attend rallies/meets much in advance of a month unless holidays from work were booked.

I have put my name on the reserve list of a number of organisers events with very little notice and I don't remember any that I wasn't eventually able to attend.

Personally I think that the organisers work incredibly hard for nothing but thanks and in most cases for the gratification of knowing they had raised money for charity. These people are few and far between and deserve respect not criticisms.

Threads like this do nothing to encourage members new or old to organise a rally and in fact probably put existing rallies at risk.:(

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I have been wondering wether this thread should be shut down as it can be quite divisive, but I think it is useful, Jim has made it clear he is happy for rallies to be organised however the organisers wish, which I think is fair enough.

I do think this thread is useful to get members views, however please make sure you keep your views friendly, the organisers do a fantastic job, and certainly wouldn't want any of those to give up due to hostility.

A big thanks to all the organisers and marshalls on all rallies, keep it up please, and can we have a few more volunteers, especially if you think you can do better😉

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I particularly like the rallies I go on, especially the ones where I’m the only one parked there….😉😎
You are working too hard organising ones at your own house Gary, & keeping them all under control.:giggle:

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I like the way Emmit does it.
The funsters are given fair warning when a rally booking ability goes live and its up to you to ensure you are able or remember to book it.
This ensures there are no favourites and the event is available to all paid up members to book.
Yes we have missed out on this method but it's still the best method in my honest opinion.
I think the way Emmit does it grossly unfair, if you advertise to open the booking at a certain time, then all the people who are otherwise engaged at that particular time are effectively out of the running. The most effective way is to just put it on the forum and if you see it you book it. Trying to do fastest finger first means within 1 minute of it going up it’s full.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I think the way Emmit does it grossly unfair, if you advertise to open the booking at a certain time, then all the people who are otherwise engaged at that particular time are effectively out of the running. The most effective way is to just put it on the forum and if you see it you book it. Trying to do fastest finger first means within 1 minute of it going up it’s full.
Well we all can't agree on everything can we.
We have to agree to disagree 😁😁

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I have done a couple of very small meets, both times had requests to ‘please put me down for next year if you do it again’

I think that’s fair , but I am surprised that every single place at Bridlington was taken by an attendee from the previous year 🤔 I can only presume ‘spare’ places were then offered to attendees to bring a mate, removing option for new people to book unless a mate is going

It doesn’t bother me, life is chucking bigger issues my way , but for the excess places it looks unfair
I think the excess places were advertised in the Bridlington Bugle

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Apart from the Retro and a couple of the big shows. We have only been able to get to one Fun Rally organised by funflair and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn’t know anyone but were made very welcome.
I hate to book anything so basically exclude myself which is why we tend to go to the MCC & CCC rallies that are non-bookable. The methods of allocating spaces as outlined above seem unfair but I would think it must come down to whatever works best for whoever is doing the organising. It will always look cliquey from outside because these people have become friends and will inevitably spend time with one another. Non-bookable events must be a nightmare for the organisers.
We often attend the Motorcycle Group of the MCC but they are so friendly and inclusive that I would think it must be a bit off putting for newbies we certainly found it so until we got used to them.
To anybody who organises rally’s thank you even though I am unlikely to be able to get to one because I don’t like booking. But please don’t be put off doing so. All the above comments are valid but not necessarily possible for the people doing the very hard work.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Personally I think that the organisers work incredibly hard for nothing but thanks and in most cases for the gratification of knowing they had raised money for charity. These people are few and far between and deserve respect not criticisms.
Where have they been criticised? They most definitely deserve praise for doing them, of that there is certainly no doubt.

Threads like this do nothing to encourage members new or old to organise a rally and in fact probably put existing rallies at risk.:(
Why? All it has done is highlight the different ways that organisers do them.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We go to a music event, there is a window open for 'regulars' to book a limited number, it isn't open for long of the group of 5 couples only 2 got tickets, however they will be open to the general public soon. We didn't book last year as we knew it would clash with a family event, that date was changed and we managed to get tickets a couple of weeks before the festival.
Have been on the waiting/reserve list a few times, but always something else, usually childminding comes up for the same time.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have been wondering wether this thread should be shut down as it can be quite divisive, but I think it is useful, Jim has made it clear he is happy for rallies to be organised however the organisers wish, which I think is fair enough.
I disagree as I think a standardised way of booking so that rally places were available to all Funsters at the same time would be a much fairer way to do it but that's my view.

I do think this thread is useful to get members views, however please make sure you keep your views friendly, the organisers do a fantastic job, and certainly wouldn't want any of those to give up due to hostility.
Most definitely agree with all of this.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Motorhomefun does not organise rallies. The members do. Rallies are all run by individual Funsters. They are free to invite who they like quietly or publicly. It’s always been that way.
But is that fair though to those who can't even get to attend some of the popular ones because they are already fully pre-booked the previous year by the attendees?

Just a handful of people put themselves out to run rallies, apart from the obvious safety issues, I’m not going to insist they run them in a particular way.
Okey-dokey, your forum, your rules.

We need more people to run rallies. If you are interested give me a shout and we can help.
I wish I could Jim but other commitments and health issues get in the way unfortunately.

May 13, 2014
Bury St. Edmunds
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I'd just like to say we love Motorhomefun and the way it works. No committees, No com just mates having a good time.
This year we couldn't book much in advance but to our surprise places were available nearer to the Events/rallies and this was the same as other organisations due to people pulling out at the last moment.
Works for us nothing needs to change!
There's always somewhere to go and party, if you have friends ;)

Last edited:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Surely that's illogical? If you can't do it at a pre-advised time, you still would not be able to do it if it goes up with no notice at the same time!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last edited:

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Surely that's illogical? If you can't do it at a pre-advised time, you still would not be able to do it if it goes up with no notice at the same time!
Just depends when it went up, and it wouldn’t be fully booked in 1 minute. How’s that illogical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back