Rally Chat The 'fairness' of booking to attend rallies (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We don't do rallies but I don't see why if someone wants to organise one why they can't do it how they want to, if they have enough people willing to attend already why go to the bother advertising it if it's already full. :unsure:
If anyone is upset at this, organise your own with your friends, simples.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
If I remember correctly, and that is open to doubt, a few unhappy members of another group complained to natural England who issue the exemption certificates, about rallies ran under the certificate that were not open to all members. I don't have the will power to see if I still have the blurb that circulated at the time. It was easily sorted but caused enough grief for me to leave

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have organised a few rallies in the past and may even do so again in the future, some have been repeats of previous years but I have not given previous attendees preferential treatment regards booking (unless of course they are helping in some way) to be honest I wouldn't be comfortable with that approach but I can also agree with the comments that say it's their rally to do as they wish as long as no MHF rules are broken, that sounds like me on the fence again :unsure:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I am with Derek Emmit on this, and on the few rallies I have organised do similar. The only exception has been when one or two participants are helping with the running of the rally but I make perfectly clear the who and why.

Personally, my view is that any rally should be open to any paid up Funster and I can't think of a fairer way when space is limited.

Janine raises a valid point though, any it was unfair of those taking up spaces who were completely uninterested in the core purpose of the rally. May be a commitment to spend four hours a day learning the instrument would have deterred although some are just so think skinned, they would still put themselves first. šŸ˜²

It's not dissimilar to the problem on a rally where new people can feel excluded. Or indeed when we had the marquee at Warners Shows and the same cliques would form little circles effectively excluding someone new. When we joined, on the first rally we were told (I believe by Jim, but it was long ago), that if we saw a group sitting around, take your chairs anf join them. To be fair, that's not easy to do, but we were never not made welcome when we did. At least we had that choice, but closed rallies to my mind, run against that ethos.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I wouldn't want to attend a rally that would allow people like me to join it...

(Thanks Mr Marx.)

JJ :cool:

PS. I hold rallies all the time on QMJ... They are arranged for City supporting, Fray Bentos eating, John Smiths drinking, ukulele hating, heavy metal loving folk who don't have dogs. >:)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
It is depriving other funsters of attending, it's either a Funsters rally or a private members group.

But it shouldn't already be full should it?

Nope, never knew about it but couldn't say whether I'd have gone or not anyway, so no sour grapes, I just don't think it's fair.
If you feel so strongly about it organise a rally, then you will see how much hard work goes in to it.
Their rally, their rules.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it's a Fun rally it should be open for all members to apply for a place.

If someone is going to organise one only for their friends behind the scenes I'm happy for them to do it providing it is not under the Fun banner and they arrange their own insurance etc.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't like the way Emmit does it, far too stressful for an old man!

The last time I tried, I hit the button dead on 1 minute passed ( didn't want to be early and ignored) and I was number 17 on the reserve list! šŸ˜„
bit like trying to get a doctors appt in the UK:giggle:
Thought we now lived in a country of inclusivity or is that a myth :giggle:
myth

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I wouldn't want to attend a rally that would allow people like me to join it...

(Thanks Mr Marx.)

JJ :cool:

PS. I hold rallies all the time on QMJ... They are arranged for City supporting, Fray Bentos eating, John Smiths drinking, ukulele hating, heavy metal loving folk who don't have dogs. >:)
Will this do then?
IMG20240820100833.jpg

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
If all rallies were organised like that how would new members to Fun ever get a chance of attending a rally?
They're not all run like that ;)

At the end of the day, considering how many Fun members there are, in comparison there are not that many Funsters that run rallies/meets. As long as Jim is made aware of it, he allows the organiser to run it as they see fit. If he wasn't happy or if it didn't comply with the rules, he would say.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Apologies in advance for the gus-lopez style of this reply. šŸ˜Ž
Is it acceptable for MHF/rally organisers to allow this practice?
IMHO, no it isnā€™t. It goes against the ethos of Motorhome Fun.
Do others think this type of booking 'favoritism' is fair?
No, it isnā€™t. However, it would be acceptable for a private ā€˜meetā€™.
Should rallies only be available for booking once announced on the forum so they are open to all Funsters equally?
Yes, it should be inclusive otherwise it is inherently divisive.
Personally I think the best solution is for the rally organisers to post a thread advising that bookings will ā€˜openā€™ at a specific time on a given date (a weeks notice at least). I know there is at least one that tends to do this.
Imho this gives everyone a fair chance at attending some great rallies.
Agreed. šŸ‘
It's a bit like a private club šŸ˜•
Isnā€™t it just and is fundamentally against the ethos of ā€˜the clubā€™.
In my view you need to take your hat off to anyone organising a rally it's a lot of hard work and big outlay of time and money and not a lot of people are willing to come forward to organise these rallies.
So I can't see any problems in the organiser running that rally how they find fit, after all it's their rally their rules as long as they are executed within the "fun rally rules"
I agree that we should all take our hats off to the organisers. However, they ate organising a Fun Rally and, consequently, it should be inclusive. A private ā€˜Meetā€™ is a different matter.
So a club within a club in a way .
Thatā€™s the danger. In the early days of Fun members were super keen to be friendly and inclusive and the danger as the membership grows is that this kind of arrangement creates divisions and negativity starts to form and, before you know it, you no longer have unity within the membership.
Unfortunately, this is a trait that manifests in most clubs and is completely understandable due to a regular core of people who are more active at attending rallies where friendships and relationships form and people are creatures of habit and want to meet with the people they know and in someways make rallies more appealing. Whether this behaviour is acceptable to the overall membership is questionable if they are being excluded and it becomes a private club within a club. The concern is if rules are made to change the way things operate it may lead to a breakaway rally club so the current members can still meet up with long established friends.
I agree with your thoughts but would suggest that if an organiser/group ferls strongly enough about it that they arrange a ā€˜Meetā€™ instead of a Rally.
I like the way Emmit does it.
The funsters are given fair warning when a rally booking ability goes live and its up to you to ensure you are able or remember to book it.
This ensures there are no favourites and the event is available to all paid up members to book.
Yes we have missed out on this method but it's still the best method in my honest opinion.
I agree completely.šŸ‘
Pre booked is not new and not friendly.
Those old enough will remember all of the things that happened at ' facts ', exclude new members joining in and things go very wrong.
It isnā€™t and itā€™s a salutary lesson for all.
Also if there's a core group will they form a clique leaving others feeling like they aren't wanted
Indeed.
Have you supported any "open" rallies not seen you supporting any so why think it's not fair
That's cheap shot; Play the ball and not the player.šŸ‘
The difference between a meet and a rally ?
Perhaps.
It's not dissimilar to the problem on a rally where new people can feel excluded. Or indeed when we had the marquee at Warners Shows and the same cliques would form little circles effectively excluding someone new. When we joined, on the first rally we were told (I believe by @Jim, but it was long ago), that if we saw a group sitting around, take your chairs anf join them. To be fair, that's not easy to do, but we were never not made welcome when we did. At least we had that choice, but closed rallies to my mind, run against that ethos.
To some extent, thatā€™s inevitable and it very quickly becomes a disincentive for newbies to come along/join in. Once that happens itā€™s a valid question to ask if itā€™s still ā€˜funā€™?
If it's a Fun rally it should be open for all members to apply for a place.
Agreed.
If someone is going to organise one only for their friends behind the scenes I'm happy for them to do it providing it is not under the Fun banner and they arrange their own insurance etc.
Agreed.

Ian

Closing Credits
Iā€™d like to thank gus-lopez for the inspiration for this response style.šŸ˜Ž

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone who organises a rally has my utmost respect and in my humble opinion can organise it as they wish .

I would be worried if a particular rule of how a rally must be published/organised/filled be put in place led to some rallies organisers simply giving up .

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Apologies in advance for the gus-lopez style of this reply. šŸ˜Ž

IMHO, no it isnā€™t. It goes against the ethos of Motorhome Fun.

No, it isnā€™t. However, it would be acceptable for a private ā€˜meetā€™.

Yes, it should be inclusive otherwise it is inherently divisive.

Agreed. šŸ‘

Isnā€™t it just and is fundamentally against the ethos of ā€˜the clubā€™.

I agree that we should all take our hats off to the organisers. However, they ate organising a Fun Rally and, consequently, it should be inclusive. A private ā€˜Meetā€™ is a different matter.

Thatā€™s the danger. In the early days of Fun members were super keen to be friendly and inclusive and the danger as the membership grows is that this kind of arrangement creates divisions and negativity starts to form and, before you know it, you no longer have unity within the membership.

I agree with your thoughts but would suggest that if an organiser/group ferls strongly enough about it that they arrange a ā€˜Meetā€™ instead of a Rally.

I agree completely.šŸ‘

It isnā€™t and itā€™s a salutary lesson for all.

Indeed.

That's cheap shot; Play the ball and not the player.šŸ‘

Perhaps.

To some extent, thatā€™s inevitable and it very quickly becomes a disincentive for newbies to come along/join in. Once that happens itā€™s a valid question to ask if itā€™s still ā€˜funā€™?

Agreed.

Agreed.

Ian

Closing Credits
Iā€™d like to thank gus-lopez for the inspiration for this response style.šŸ˜Ž
Wow give the guy a medal is that a record on quotes šŸ˜‚

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sometimes when you organise a rally word of mouth overtakes the size of the rally. PMs/calls get sent etc, hence itā€™s full before you have even finished organising the details of said rally. Small rallies can often fill before it goes on the forum.
What does one do? Say to those who got in touch, no you cannot come?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I am afraid that I have to agree with Minxy on this. It would seem that all funsters are created equal just that some are more equal that others.
We have only attended one fun rally that's by choice, as neither Jenny or myself want to keep attending shows. However we do attend quite a lot of Suntrecker rallies and by the end of the season we will have run three rallies this year so we do know what's involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back