Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (7 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Well, I've only gone and sorted it, one cable feed to Frank Starlinkenstein....

The router is also powered by a 5v supply, so the whole setup should consume a lot less power than it would through 240v. It looks a bit 'rough and ready' at the moment but I will eventually smarten it all up, when I get back from our trip over to mainland Europe starting tomorrow!View attachment 905387View attachment 905388View attachment 905389View attachment 905390

View attachment 905391

View attachment 905392

View attachment 905393

View attachment 905394

View attachment 905395

Good work! Are you cutting it a bit fine to bond that to the roof in time to start a long journey to and around Europe? The Sika could do with a bit of curing time. 🤪

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Good work! Are you cutting it a bit fine to bond that to the roof in time to start a long journey to and around Europe? The Sika could do with a bit of curing time. 🤪
This one isn't going to be fixed permanently on the roof, perhaps the next one might be ...
That's why I've attached angled aluminium at each end with some suction pads. It's not meant for permanent fixing just yet !!

And the day just gets better. The actual connections to the dish have just arrived .... I will make up a fly lead later for the internal connections later ....

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Ive left Frank at home and taken the other unmodified starlink. There were too many connections for my liking, I know they were wago's so you likely to come loose, sealing them just didn't sit right. I will solder all the wires together when we get back, so I'll know they will never fail.
Although the connecting plugs (only need 1) arrived, what a pain trying to fit the actual pins that the wires attached to. I'm going to see if I can get them pre assembled, unless anyone knows an easier way to get the pins to attach to the wires. I've tried squeezing them with small pliers but they just don't hold. Perhaps a bit of heat might melt the insulation and keep them connected or even super glue? I think soldering might not be the best option, but open to ideas for when I get back.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
This is my first version of a Franked V2 Starlink dish
We’re at the Newark show and we’re mostly getting 200 down. Very pleased.
The dish is using around 1.5A when not busy, ramps up to 3.5A when doing a Speedtest.
Sikaflex looks a bit untidy, need to clean it up a bit. I didn’t want water collecting in the grooves.
Forgot the thing that waterproofs the RJ45 at home so used good old insulation tape.

IMG_7547.jpeg

For the electrics I followed Oleg Kutkov’s advice.
For the housing I followed Dave’s idea (MisterB)
Below is the initial test of the process.

IMG_7496.jpeg

We’re doing a 3-part YouTube of the transformation as I don’t see anything that covers the whole process. We might combine the three into 1 long video after that.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It's not better, it's just different.....

The hack turns your starlink into a very slim version, so can either be roof mounted or as with mine at the moment it has sucker pads on.

IMG_20240605_113111.jpg

The purpose of the hack is to reduce the power required to run the Starlink by converting the dish to run solely on 12v. It only needs 48v because of the length of the cable, so by reducing it to 12v the cable can be a lot shorter and the power consumption a lot less!

When I get back from holiday in three weeks I will be trying other options aswell including an integrated router.

I am hoping that RogerIvy will be taking it a step further, not only as a fully integrated one but also including a rechargeable power supply ......(The gauntlet has been thrown lol)

If anyone else fancies pushing the envelope further, or has any ideas, please share them on here? I'm sure when Roger puts his videos up it will encourage others to come up with what is in effect, just trying to reduce the power consumption in a much smaller 'package' that exists commercially.

For anyone thinking of making their own 'enclosure/case' you can make a simple jig to bend the uPVC window trim around so as to keep any heat required to bend it, away from the dish itself. I used my wife's crafting heat gun. Next time I will apply the heating to the inside of the trim so it doesn't 'scorch' the outside, it will just make it look neater. The jig I made is just four pieces of scrap wood with the corners rounded off!

IMG_20240607_081353.jpg

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I've not seen any evidence that laying it flat impacts the signal and or performance, as long as it can see the sky from my testing there is no loss of performance at all. On my last trip, i was still pulling in well over 250+mb down with it flat mounted.
Mine is permanently mounted to the roof but currently using the standard starlink router and inverter to power it when not on EHU.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I've not seen any evidence that laying it flat impacts the signal and or performance, as long as it can see the sky from my testing there is no loss of performance at all. On my last trip, i was still pulling in well over 250+mb down with it flat mounted.
Mine is permanently mounted to the roof but currently using the standard starlink router and inverter to power it when not on EHU.

So angle and orientation of the Gen 2 dish has zero impact to performance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So angle and orientation of the Gen 2 dish has zero impact to performance?
From my testing that is correct, not seen any

Screen shot was when I last went away and I was still pulling in over 300mb router to Internet, my device connected to the router was a lot slower at only 121mb :)

IMG_3041.png

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
My one cable option does impact on download speeds significantly, not sure whether it's the voltage or whether it's because only four wires are used for ethernet data as opposed to eight in normal use. However from reading online, I should still get around 100Mbs just using four wires (which was pretty much standard a few years ago)

Im away at the moment but will do some more testing when I get back

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
My one cable option does impact on download speeds significantly, not sure whether it's the voltage or whether it's because only four wires are used for ethernet data as opposed to eight in normal use. However from reading online, I should still get around 100Mbs just using four wires (which was pretty much standard a few years ago)

Im away at the moment but will do some more testing when I get back
I am using the standard router and cable, although that has been cut and rejoined, but everything else is with the standard gear. If you are losing that much with your modification i would investigate why that is as i seem to remember everlanders converting to 12v and not losing anything either. Must be something wrong somewhere

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I am using the standard router and cable, although that has been cut and rejoined, but everything else is with the standard gear. If you are losing that much with your modification i would investigate why that is as i seem to remember everlanders converting to 12v and not losing anything either. Must be something wrong somewhere
It's a completely different modification. It involves removing components from the actual starlink circuit board. If I use a separate powe cable, I get the speed you would normally expect. It's only when using a single cable that the data drops. Im hoping it just needs a bigger power cable but I'm not sure I will be going down the one cable route when I permanently install it on the motorhome roof.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It's a completely different modification. It involves removing components from the actual starlink circuit board. If I use a separate powe cable, I get the speed you would normally expect. It's only when using a single cable that the data drops. Im hoping it just needs a bigger power cable but I'm not sure I will be going down the one cable route when I permanently install it on the motorhome roof.
Yes i understand but if you are seeing that much drop in speed then for me that would be a no-go but if you have a way around it and to get it back to what it should be then that's definitively what i would be doing.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
100mbs is good enough for most, my home fibre is only around 60 or 70mbs, obviously I could pay more for a faster service but don't need it, the power saving would be worth it for me but I'm not in to chopping things up like that 😂

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
100mbs is good enough for most, my home fibre is only around 60 or 70mbs, obviously I could pay more for a faster service but don't need it, the power saving would be worth it for me but I'm not in to chopping things up like that 😂
Agreed 100mb is more than enough but if you are losing two thirds of what you should be getting then i would be concerned as to what else is being impacted that i have yet to see or find out about.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Agreed 100mb is more than enough but if you are losing two thirds of what you should be getting then i would be concerned as to what else is being impacted that i have yet to see or find out about.
RogerIvy has done the same mod, but is using a separate 12v power supply and using all 8 of the data wires and was getting over 200mbs at the Lincoln show and reduced his power consumption considerably. Hopefully his videos will be out soon, which going by his other videos, he will explain everything in easy to understand and follow language, including dismantling the dishy the easy way with no cutting etc. I was getting similar results before I tried the one cable mod. Just to be clear, the one cable mod was tried so that the dishy could be temporarily mounted and only needed one cable to plug in and out of a 12v Kutkov modded dish, so that power consumption could be reduced and 240v or 48v wouldn't be needed. I'm not suggesting it's better or worse than other mods, its just a different one!
I still have a few ideas that I'm hoping Roger is going to have a go at when he gets a chance !!

• Informative
Reactions: zac
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Bit more news on the Starlink mini:

DC powered. Half the size. Only 100mpbs, but subscriptions will also be much less. Still don't know how much power it needs. And WiFi is built in, which might not be that useful, but there is a network connector.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

DC powered. Half the size. Only 100mpbs, but subscriptions will also be much less. Still don't know how much power it needs. And WiFi is built in, which might not be that useful, but there is a network connector.

The two outstanding question is will it be 12v and will it be suitable for permanent outdoor mounting, so properly waterproof Cat and power connection? 🤷‍♂️

Almost seems to be pitched as a turn up somewhere and use for a couple of hours, then chuck in the backpack and use somewhere else.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Yup it's real.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The two outstanding question is will it be 12v and will it be suitable for permanent outdoor mounting, so properly waterproof Cat and power connection? 🤷‍♂️

Almost seems to be pitched as a turn up somewhere and use for a couple of hours, then chuck in the backpack and use somewhere else.
I agree. It still doesn't match our requirements. A lower power with an easy DC connection would help. But if it's not completly weather proof, it's no use for glueing to the van roof.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree. It still doesn't match our requirements. A lower power with an easy DC connection would help. But if it's not completly weather proof, it's no use for glueing to the van roof.
What makes you think it wouldn't be weather proof?
For something designed to be used outside it would be stupid for it not to be?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
You may find someone is already considering looking at putting together a portable starlink with self contained rechargeable battery as an all in one solution ... It will be the square dishy so hopefully still capable of more than 100Mbs download. Interestingly my single cable hack also provides the same sort of download speeds as the new baby on the block !

And for the anoraks out there, this app might interest you

Screenshot_2024-06-17-22-50-36-349_com.android.vending.jpg

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Quite expensive to convert to 12v for little improvement over the power saving from what he is seeing, it will have appeal though as no cutting required but I have also seen issues when powering with a hella plug and not directly from the leisure battery where it doesn't seem to provide enough power. No idea why though as couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot it as i assumed it was an issue with the POE injector i purchased from amazon in the early days.

The starlink Mini though will be a game changer for most if he keeps to his word and charges half what they do now as there will be a massive uptake from the motorhoming community as unlimited internet all over Europe for around £45 a month is a no brainer.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The starlink Mini though will be a game changer for most if he keeps to his word and charges half what they do now as there will be a massive uptake from the motorhoming community as unlimited internet all over Europe for around £45 a month is a no brainer.
As Just smiffy pointed out though, it's possible that it's designed for mobile use, but not to be permanently mounted outside. Fine of you plonk it out when you get to site. But it may not survive on the roof of a van. We'll have to wait and see the specs when it's released.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
As Just smiffy pointed out though, it's possible that it's designed for mobile use, but not to be permanently mounted outside. Fine of you plonk it out when you get to site. But it may not survive on the roof of a van. We'll have to wait and see the specs when it's released.
I am sure an enclosure of some kind will be made to make it work

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back