Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (15 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Doctors love to trot out the cliche that "You will die with this rather than of it." While this is certainly the case for some people it is not for others - it all depends on how aggressive the cancer is. My Dad was told this and while he did have a short course of radiation treatment this was a long time ago and the treatment was not very effective. He then died horribly of the disease after a long and painful decline. That was why I went for very early intervention in the form of surgery after a positive biopsy even though the NHS consultant was very reluctant to even consider it - so much so that we used a chunk of savings to have it done privately. I don't regret it.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It would never occur to me at that age to ask for one? My father was diagnosed at 78 & even then was told "you're not going to die of this" & he didn't. died 12 years later of pneumonia.
You are correct: the 15y survival rate is 97.5% of those without pc.
HOWEVER, by being diagnosed I now know that I have a heart problem (minor) and I will have my benign enlarged prostate removed which causes me to go to the toilet frequently. This was only going to get worse as I aged BUT the operation would not be done after my 74th birthday.

Additionally, I like many others, have frequent blood tests and PSA doesn’t involve anything extra: win-win!

Gordon

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
It would never occur to me at that age to ask for one? My father was diagnosed at 78 & even then was told "you're not going to die of this" & he didn't. died 12 years later of pneumonia.
Although I 'retired' from my first job at the age of 56 which began in 1965 as a GPO/BT engineer I immediately embarked on a further 18 years in a very similar but part time job and as you can see from my signature I wasn't idle in that period outside the part time job completing and selling five self-build campers. So at the age of 74 I felt that I was by no means 'over the hill' and was willing to investigate anything that may extend my active life.
My urology consultant told me that he would perform prostate surgery on fit men up to and including their seventy fifth year which included me. However he sent us (my wife and I were both present for the consultation) away to make a very careful personal decision as to whether I was to go down the surgical or radiotherapy route, no pressure either way as he considered each being equally appropriate in my case. This we did having spoken to others in a similar position and a doctor friend I eventually decided on the radiotherapy route. If you've followed me through this you will know that I am currently seven weeks post RT and hoping for a positive consultation with my radiotherapy consultant on the 23rd of this month.

gus-lopez no offence taken at the 'at that age' comment. So many of us are in the same boat and I'm determined to be one who swims away from it. :LOL:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
My friends next door neighbour asked for the PSA test a couple of years ago in his mid 50’s, no symptoms just an annual work physical.
Advanced Prostate cancer, complete removal of the Prostate and is now doubly incontinent and impotent.
He was told they could have had a better outcome if he’d been diagnosed earlier.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
My friends next door neighbour asked for the PSA test a couple of years ago in his mid 50’s, no symptoms just an annual work physical.
Advanced Prostate cancer, complete removal of the Prostate and is now doubly incontinent and impotent.
He was told they could have had a better outcome if he’d been diagnosed earlier.

Sobering

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I will have my benign enlarged prostate removed which causes me to go to the toilet frequently.
Ashave I but it would never enter my head to get anything done about it?
Additionally, I like many others, have frequent blood tests and PSA doesn’t involve anything extra: win-win!
I have had blood tests including psa ,yearly for the past 15 or so years since the doc thought I had something that I didn't .
Just booked this years with my doctor. usually around 56 different readings but if I book it on occasions a locum is on then you might get the full 8 xA4 sheets or 100+ blood test readings.
@gus-lopez no offence taken at the 'at that age' comment.
Didn't mean it like that as I am not much younger than you but would not bother at my age . Wife often says to me "why do you not see the doc about this ,that ,the other.
With one if I have had it for 30 years why bother now? Badly damaged shoulder I have had for 52 years . If they didn't want to fix it back then why should I worry now?
I'm just passing time until I die.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Ashave I but it would never enter my head to get anything done about it?

I have had blood tests including psa ,yearly for the past 15 or so years since the doc thought I had something that I didn't .
Just booked this years with my doctor. usually around 56 different readings but if I book it on occasions a locum is on then you might get the full 8 xA4 sheets or 100+ blood test readings.

Didn't mean it like that as I am not much younger than you but would not bother at my age . Wife often says to me "why do you not see the doc about this ,that ,the other.
With one if I have had it for 30 years why bother now? Badly damaged shoulder I have had for 52 years . If they didn't want to fix it back then why should I worry now?
I'm just passing time until I die.
I nearly asked how you got to see the full list of the blood analysis then I realised that you were in Spain. Wow what a difference to the UK where the docs want to keep everything secret!
My brother had a hip replacement whilst living on GC and also had all of his data and other documents without any question. Why the hell doesn't our NHS do the same? Please, nobody answer that as I know the reason!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Yes but…….

I was very impressed with the reports which we got for urine infection when we lived in Marbella: a print out of every antibiotic tried, it’s effectiveness and the recommended treatment 👍
Unfortunately, it was usually two days between booking an appointment and seeing the doctor. She then authorised the test but the nurse didn’t work every day so it was another couple of days before the sample could be accepted . Then we were allowed to book an appointment with the doctor, usually a week after that first consultation. An antibiotic was prescribed but sometimes the problem had changed and a different organism was causing the infection. It was not uncommon for irritation to continue for a few weeks.

One weekend we flew home on Friday, went to a walk in clinic on Saturday morning, was prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic and by Monday was feeling a lot better. 😉

Gordon

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
I nearly asked how you got to see the full list of the blood analysis then I realised that you were in Spain. Wow what a difference to the UK where the docs want to keep everything secret!
My brother had a hip replacement whilst living on GC and also had all of his data and other documents without any question. Why the hell doesn't our NHS do the same? Please, nobody answer that as I know the reason!
In England you can view all your GP records/test results etc online or via the nhs app. You can also get an electronic dump of all your records (I did this a few years ago).
My mother in law in Wales can't get anything from her GP. Different system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I nearly asked how you got to see the full list of the blood analysis then I realised that you were in Spain. Wow what a difference to the UK .......

Download 'My Medical Record'

NHS based App that shows your test results, downloadable letters from your consultant etc.

You get full printout of your blood tests, bearing in mind the Doctor will tell the lab what to test for so often only those results. Trouble is it then leads you into Googling what the results mean so not a good idea for any hyperchondriacs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back