Prostate cancer. A useful resource. (20 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
Doctors love to trot out the cliche that "You will die with this rather than of it." While this is certainly the case for some people it is not for others - it all depends on how aggressive the cancer is. My Dad was told this and while he did have a short course of radiation treatment this was a long time ago and the treatment was not very effective. He then died horribly of the disease after a long and painful decline. That was why I went for very early intervention in the form of surgery after a positive biopsy even though the NHS consultant was very reluctant to even consider it - so much so that we used a chunk of savings to have it done privately. I don't regret it.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It would never occur to me at that age to ask for one? My father was diagnosed at 78 & even then was told "you're not going to die of this" & he didn't. died 12 years later of pneumonia.
You are correct: the 15y survival rate is 97.5% of those without pc.
HOWEVER, by being diagnosed I now know that I have a heart problem (minor) and I will have my benign enlarged prostate removed which causes me to go to the toilet frequently. This was only going to get worse as I aged BUT the operation would not be done after my 74th birthday.

Additionally, I like many others, have frequent blood tests and PSA doesn’t involve anything extra: win-win!

Gordon

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
It would never occur to me at that age to ask for one? My father was diagnosed at 78 & even then was told "you're not going to die of this" & he didn't. died 12 years later of pneumonia.
Although I 'retired' from my first job at the age of 56 which began in 1965 as a GPO/BT engineer I immediately embarked on a further 18 years in a very similar but part time job and as you can see from my signature I wasn't idle in that period outside the part time job completing and selling five self-build campers. So at the age of 74 I felt that I was by no means 'over the hill' and was willing to investigate anything that may extend my active life.
My urology consultant told me that he would perform prostate surgery on fit men up to and including their seventy fifth year which included me. However he sent us (my wife and I were both present for the consultation) away to make a very careful personal decision as to whether I was to go down the surgical or radiotherapy route, no pressure either way as he considered each being equally appropriate in my case. This we did having spoken to others in a similar position and a doctor friend I eventually decided on the radiotherapy route. If you've followed me through this you will know that I am currently seven weeks post RT and hoping for a positive consultation with my radiotherapy consultant on the 23rd of this month.

gus-lopez no offence taken at the 'at that age' comment. So many of us are in the same boat and I'm determined to be one who swims away from it. :LOL:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
My friends next door neighbour asked for the PSA test a couple of years ago in his mid 50’s, no symptoms just an annual work physical.
Advanced Prostate cancer, complete removal of the Prostate and is now doubly incontinent and impotent.
He was told they could have had a better outcome if he’d been diagnosed earlier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back