Pay for your ‘Wild Camping’ in Scotland…… (2 Viewers)

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
I think a lot of you need to get off your high horse. Scotland is visited and enjoyed by every nation in the world so don’t think that if the free loading motorhomers who boast they have never paid for a site in the whatever years of travelling don’t come back, believe me you won’t be missed. I have never seen so many racist, bigoted comments in my life. Reminds me of a motorhome waiting at the ferry at Dover for a trip to France. His motorhome was packed with everything you could think of because he wasn’t going to contribute anything to THEIR economy. Ignorance springs to mind. Who needs this types? We don’t need it in Scotland so glad you won’t be back. For those who respect, enjoy and contribute, our door will always be open. Disrespectful freeloaders F off!! Why buy a motorhome to use as a way of cheap living, sleeping in supermarket car parks and dumping your waste in a McDonald’s restaurant. So classy. I have had caravans and motorhomes all my life and always contribute wherever I go as you all I used
I agree re freeloaders in whatever country they are in. When I return to wander the beautiful countryside you have there or elsewhere, like you I will always contribute to the local economy best I can. Be it groceries camp site pub diesel etc. And yes I will also wild camp in the appropriate places. Like society on the whole, the minority of tw#ts will spoil it for the majority.
Living, at present on the Isle of Wight but also up in Mey for 5 years, I know the difference visitors can make.

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
I think alot of tourist spots have jumped on the band wagon with prices. It's the norm. I do believe in contributing to where ever we travel. It's nice to see exceptional scenery . But that is just a small part of it. We enjoy meeting locals in the areas n chatting and getting to know the does n don'ts. I love a local beer in a local pub over a good meal. But when we travel we're on holiday. As we're the still working full time motorhomes. And when on holiday I want to enjoy myself and pay what it costs. However this is very different to the retired motorhomers. Who aren't on holiday but are living a life. This changes what you spend and how much you spend. Ok maybe not all but most. We holiday with a couple of retirees. There is a massive difference between us. Everyone to their own I say. We are all very different how we do things. P.s we went to harleck for a hol. Pissed down all week n blew a hoolie. We still enjoyed it. Train trips n pubs n castles. Fantastic..
P s love Scotland the place the people. Ireland too. I prefer all three to England. But that just me.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
We managed before the recent influxes and we'll manage when it passes. Soon I hope.
There's a lot more to Scotland than most people think, or bother to find out.
So true ..... but its that hyped up badge of honor I dun the nc500 etc. Cracks me up when they ask how long, or should that be quickly, it can be done. Blessed with living right at the top of it and with the workplace taking me around some of the glorious not so we'll known places. Beeeee utiful.

Apr 11, 2021
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
2 years
We managed before the recent influxes and we'll manage when it passes. Soon I hope.
There's a lot more to Scotland than most people think, or bother to find out.
Why so negative ? whatever the reason to visit its there for everyone to enjoy you don't need to know everything about a place to marvel at what nature provides

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Touring Scotland as I read. Been about 50/50 on paid and unpaid stops. Happy to pay £10 per night to park at places like the Kelpies, Kingsbarns beach etc. Had 2 nights at Stonehaven CMC site at £38 per night. Happy to camp for free near Plockton but would have been equally ok with paying £10 to park in the village car park which doesn’t allow mohos between 10pm and 8am?? despite it being empty. Was at the Taste of India on Skye last night where we went with friends who live nearby and spent £135 on a meal. Currently at Fort Augustus paying £18 for a pitch on a new aire that has waste, water and EHU. Don’t get the I never pay for sites mentality, happy to contribute, use local restaurants, pubs and outlets but another tax?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Touring Scotland as I read. Been about 50/50 on paid and unpaid stops. Happy to pay £10 per night to park at places like the Kelpies, Kingsbarns beach etc. Had 2 nights at Stonehaven CMC site at £38 per night. Happy to camp for free near Plockton but would have been equally ok with paying £10 to park in the village car park which doesn’t allow mohos between 10pm and 8am?? despite it being empty. Was at the Taste of India on Skye last night where we went with friends who live nearby and spent £135 on a meal. Currently at Fort Augustus paying £18 for a pitch on a new aire that has waste, water and EHU. Don’t get the I never pay for sites mentality, happy to contribute, use local restaurants, pubs and outlets but another tax?
Agree regarding the extra tax this thread is about.

I feel its the same as the tourist tax big cities adopt. All those tourists generates a huge amount of income. If those funds aren't being managed properly to allow the services mentioned, then they should look at the people managing those funds instead of simply trying to squeeze more money out the people visiting.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Agree regarding the extra tax this thread is about.

I feel its the same as the tourist tax big cities adopt. All those tourists generates a huge amount of income. If those funds aren't being managed properly to allow the services mentioned, then they should look at the people managing those funds instead of simply trying to squeeze more money out the people visiting.
Suppose the question is how much of the revenue raised by buying local produce, frequenting pubs / restaurants, etc, etc, ......... goes directly to the entity (say local Council) who we're all saying should provide the facilities for tourists? My guess would be very little.

Yes, all of these businesses will pay local taxes \ rates \ etc to the Council but if the Council were to increase these it would \ could result in increased charging for the products \ services provided and how would the business differentiate between local and visitor? So, everybody would pay whereas a tourist tax is seeking to raise additional revenue for those placing the additional burden on the services without impacting those already paying for the existing infrastructure through their Council Tax, etc.

As an example, and it may not be a very good one, say the Council were to increase water and sewerage rates to cover the provision of public toilets \ chemical disposal points it would mean that locals \ local businesses would still bear the majority, if not full, proportion of the cost.

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Yeh I can't understand for the life of me why the NC 500 is so popular as a race. Why o why would you want to fly past so many lovely places in the search of a record time. There's so much more to see off the tourist bypass . You all know where yours is. We know where ours is and I can't wait to visit again next year. Happy places.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Suppose the question is how much of the revenue raised by buying local produce, frequenting pubs / restaurants, etc, etc, ......... goes directly to the entity (say local Council) who we're all saying should provide the facilities for tourists? My guess would be very little.

Yes, all of these businesses will pay local taxes \ rates \ etc to the Council but if the Council were to increase these it would \ could result in increased charging for the products \ services provided and how would the business differentiate between local and visitor? So, everybody would pay whereas a tourist tax is seeking to raise additional revenue for those placing the additional burden on the services without impacting those already paying for the existing infrastructure through their Council Tax, etc.

As an example, and it may not be a very good one, say the Council were to increase water and sewerage rates to cover the provision of public toilets \ chemical disposal points it would mean that locals \ local businesses would still bear the majority, if not full, proportion of the cost.

Some councils have the right idea. Fife have identified a number of popular sites where mohos can overnight park for a fee. They are restricted to authorised bays with max length stays. Monies raised are red circled to improve parking, provide or extend existing toilet opening and increase the number of chemical toilet points.

Dec 22, 2016
Willingdon
Funster No
MH
Elddis coachbuilt
Exp
9 years
We are presently on the NC 500 and whilst the scenery is undeniably beautiful, I really can’t see what all the fuss is all about.

Parts of the actual NC 500 road surfaces are almost like single lane dirt tracks, and we are paying on average £33 per night in basic facility camp sites which in France, would be £15 per night municipal sites with just as beautiful scenery.

I’m glad to be doing it as we will have ticked the NC 500 box, but despite the beautiful scenery, we have no desire to return.

And before anyone accuses me of being a bigot or racist, my Dad was born in Greenock and was a very proud Scotsman 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 which makes me 50:50 😁

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Yeh sort of agree. We enjoyed the trip round .but we didn't return to Inverness but carried onto Skye then off to mallaig . Where we discovered our gem. Just above arisaig . We did have good weather too which helped ABIT. But views of the sun setting over the islands with a glass of rouge. Timeless.

Jun 19, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Seems it’s going the same way in Scotland as the rest of England and Wales. Motor-homers not wanted in many places and parking restrictions being imposed banning the same.
Quite frankly I’ve had enough of the UK in this respect. I also understand camp site owners need to make a living but some prices are ridiculous and often there is the proviso of having to book for 3 nights.
Then of course there is an ignorant small minority of motor-homers who’s behavior spoils it for the rest who abide by the unwritten rules of respect.
Shame. I love our countryside particularly Scotland.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
Seems it’s going the same way in Scotland as the rest of England and Wales. Motor-homers not wanted in many places and parking restrictions being imposed banning the same.
Quite frankly I’ve had enough of the UK in this respect. I also understand camp site owners need to make a living but some prices are ridiculous and often there is the proviso of having to book for 3 nights.
Then of course there is an ignorant small minority of motor-homers who’s behavior spoils it for the rest who abide by the unwritten rules of respect.
Shame. I love our countryside particularly Scotland.
Sort of agree re the anti going on....BUT I'm also thinking a lot of the usual social media stirrers as well. Camp sites do need income and some seem to want to try and ummmm maximise the amount. Yes I know the costs etc have gone up but some, how they would justify it I have no idea. Yup like you love our island , but even I'm looking to the big land to the east.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I really can't understand why a local council would provide a field with fresh water, bins and black water removal for free. In my opinion I think it's rude to expect it. My first holidays as a child were camping in Scotland and we were quite poor but my Dad would never want anything for free that's for sure. As an adult I caravanned and camped on occasions in Scotland before NC500 was a thing. In fact when I first heard of the NC500 I thought it was a motorbike race on Highlands route:LOL:. I think a few things come into this discussion.
1. A motorhome obviously a vehicle that can be parked up in places that are legal to park and this then leads to staying overnight.
2. This word 'wild camping' and how it is referenced to traveling/holidaying in Scotland. We all know or should know what wild camping is! It's not staying in layby in beauty spot..... anywhere it's 'free overnight parking'.....well unless you have pitched your tent in the lay-by.
A friend of a friend recently bought a converted van, he tells me he's going to Scotland as it's free to 'camp' there. A few weeks later I bumped into him he went on to tell me that the free camping was a load of shit. He went on a rant that some beauty spots wanted a whole £5 :oops:to stay but that didn't bother him as his mate held the pay gate open so three vans could stay for price of one. I find this very sad and doubt it's a complete minority.
I'm a big believer in pay what something is worth and the beauty of the Highlands Scotland is worth £5 surely.......
IMG_20200712_065855_1CS.jpg

Above is 'Wild camping' tree dweller style.

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Yeh everyone needs to make a living. We are new to the pub stop over masses. Really enjoyed one we stayed at early September in North Yorkshire on way to Northumberland. I think these pubs n farms n shops offering this service will give campsites the wake up call needed.
We have only been in the big un for a year. We have a VW transporter campervan since 2014. And we always got stung at club sites. Had to pay full price so they could stick us on a small patch of grass useless for anything else. Boiled my blood they would say their full when booking, then would ask what vehicle . Then would say o yes we can fit you in. No dought on a grass verg or a hedge bottom. We got fed up with it. Now we have the big un. We get the same as everyone else n happy to pay it. At last.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
I really can't understand why a local council would provide a field with fresh water, bins and black water removal for free. In my opinion I think it's rude to expect it. My first holidays as a child were camping in Scotland and we were quite poor but my Dad would never want anything for free that's for sure. As an adult I caravanned and camped on occasions in Scotland before NC500 was a thing. In fact when I first heard of the NC500 I thought it was a motorbike race on Highlands route:LOL:. I think a few things come into this discussion.
1. A motorhome obviously a vehicle that can be parked up in places that are legal to park and this then leads to staying overnight.
2. This word 'wild camping' and how it is referenced to traveling/holidaying in Scotland. We all know or should know what wild camping is! It's not staying in layby in beauty spot..... anywhere it's 'free overnight parking'.....well unless you have pitched your tent in the lay-by.
A friend of a friend recently bought a converted van, he tells me he's going to Scotland as it's free to 'camp' there. A few weeks later I bumped into him he went on to tell me that the free camping was a load of shit. He went on a rant that some beauty spots wanted a whole £5 :oops:to stay but that didn't bother him as his mate held the pay gate open so three vans could stay for price of one. I find this very sad and doubt it's a complete minority.
I'm a big believer in pay what something is worth and the beauty of the Highlands Scotland is worth £5 surely.......
View attachment 813790
Above is 'Wild camping' tree dweller style.
No one asking for free, or at least I'm not asking or expecting. Happy to put money in thier pockets.

For me its giving to the local shop, farmer, garage, etc as its direct to source as such.
Yes they got to pay tax etc and in a way, hopefully more, due to income being higher.

And yes IF the council were to say put in Aires etc as a lot of them are now in Scotland ( unlike South of the border ) perhaps more of us would park up pay the due and spend in the town.

Please excuse cock up post 🙈

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
I would be happy to pay. Don’t see the problem. And if it raises revenue to add facilities such as CDP, bins or fresh water I’m all for it.

We were in Harris & Lewis in May, admittedly it wasn’t that busy, but we were pleased to find beautiful parking spots were also designated camping spots asking for donations of just £5 to stay. More than happy to pay that to stay in such wonderful places and have them all to ourselves!

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
We have just come back from Scotland, that'll be 5 weeks up there in a year.Mostly in Dumfries and Galloway. We go up north for a week and D anG for a week.( first time up was a week in D and G) second time up as far as Glencoe. way to busy for us We felt like we were part of the problem, so headed back south.This time we went to Kintyre for 5 days then over to little Gigha on the ferry,what a gem of a little Island, everyone very welcoming and friendly absolutely loved it around that area.There is so much to explore in Scotland that the NC 500 can wait. We plan to go island hopping next time we are up.
We always stop on sites and always shop and eat locally. We think that is what you should do😊

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
We have just come back from Scotland, that'll be 5 weeks up there in a year.Mostly in Dumfries and Galloway. We go up north for a week and D anG for a week.( first time up was a week in D and G) second time up as far as Glencoe. way to busy for us We felt like we were part of the problem, so headed back south.This time we went to Kintyre for 5 days then over to little Gigha on the ferry,what a gem of a little Island, everyone very welcoming and friendly absolutely loved it around that area.There is so much to explore in Scotland that the NC 500 can wait. We plan to go island hopping next time we are up.
We always stop on sites and always shop and eat locally. We think that is what you should do😊
Oh and Machrihanish beach ,4 miles of sand and crashing sea Wow and Wow 😁👍

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Fancy the islands next year for missus big 50. All ABIT new to us. Wonder if a 7.3 m van would work or a T 5 campervan. I'd rather have the big un. Lol

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Fancy the islands next year for missus big 50. All ABIT new to us. Wonder if a 7.3 m van would work or a T 5 campervan. I'd rather have the big un. Lol
We got on the little ferry to Gigha,we have a 6m Hymer,but have a towball bike carrier which made us about 7m ,no problem whatsoever. When we were on Gigha an 8m A class rolled up.So to answer your question 7.3 m 👍

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Thankyou for the heads up. My missus will be very happy she can take her hair drier . Lol I think we're looking at ullapool to Stornoway and then off at lochboisdale to mallaig and finish at silver sands area. We have a dog too do you see any issues there. Newby at this.
I would like to visit west beach at berneray. Saw pics of it years ago and fell in love with it. I'm hoping it fills the dream. We have yet to decide a date to travel. At least two weeks. Not sure on weather that far North. Don't want it too hot . Lol

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Thankyou for the heads up. My missus will be very happy she can take her hair drier . Lol I think we're looking at ullapool to Stornoway and then off at lochboisdale to mallaig and finish at silver sands area. We have a dog too do you see any issues there. Newby at this.
Where we went Dogs are welcome 👍

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
Hardly ever paid tourist tax in France just the odd Aire, I know a lot of sites charge but we have only spent about 5 nights on sites in 15 years of Motorhoming.
Hi Lenny, the point being is that tourist tax is really common. It rarely amounts to much individually, but it all adds up

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
I think you are missing the point, they created the problem but aren't prepared to do anything about it.
I like to camp for free but like most of us we don't mind paying two or three quid to dump & fill with water or even a fiver to park he night without facilities, but not prepared to pay some of the rip off prices.

They encouraged thousands of Motorhomes to visit Scotland but didn't give any thought to whether the infrastructure could support it. As reported by someone else they have actually closed down loads of public loos when they should have been opening many more.
Hi again Lenny, sorry to go on but i think its you thats missing the point. The tourist hot spots of the world charge tourist tax, that's just a fact of life. The reason for this is that large numbers of tourists create problems of their own.
If Scotland is now finding tourist numbers are a problem, they they'll need to charge too.
These taxes never cost much, i really don't see what the problem is. (But iI knew there'd be moaning. 😉 )

Feb 28, 2018
Funster No
We are presently on the NC 500 and whilst the scenery is undeniably beautiful, I really can’t see what all the fuss is all about.

Parts of the actual NC 500 road surfaces are almost like single lane dirt tracks, and we are paying on average £33 per night in basic facility camp sites which in France, would be £15 per night municipal sites with just as beautiful scenery.

I’m glad to be doing it as we will have ticked the NC 500 box, but despite the beautiful scenery, we have no desire to return.

And before anyone accuses me of being a bigot or racist, my Dad was born in Greenock and was a very proud Scotsman 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 which makes me 50:50 😁
We're in France right now, and agree with you re cost of some of those municipal sites etc, but a lot of them close at the end of this month. Many of them don’t get anything like the traffic Scotland gets outside of 2-3 months of the year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back