Pay for your ‘Wild Camping’ in Scotland…… (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
That is bang on Lenny. They want it all it seems, but don’t want to splash out on adequate facilities. More people should call them out.
Of course, England doesn't have a tourist tax, just a wide open English Channel to welcome the "asylum seekers" into the UK.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I don’t get the ‘we want to be free of Westminster, but let’s shackle ourselves to the EU’ sentiment…….?🤔
Thats fine, but the question has to be who are the "we" that you are referring to? I didn't vote to leave the union, but the forum members who hate the Scot's seem determined to rub our noses in what the bonkers SNP were saying.
There is a very good old saying that "united we stand, divided we fall" but that seems to have been lost on many of our English neighbours.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
No - but it’s the other ‘obligations’ that go with being part of that group that I would worry about…….

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
……along with the rest of Europe, I believe……? :unsure:

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
All this animosity that is quoted on here is, imo, just keyboard warriors.
I'm an incomer to the Highlands, lived here 20 years now with my Invernesian lass.
I have never ever had any animosity towards me, being a builder I do get about and meet lots of people all over the Highlands. Also having a motorhome we wildcamp 90% or more and know plenty of places to go. Never have we had any problems with locals whilst staying anywhere. We pick up rubbish and try to keep places clean from rubbish left in laybys or camp stops.
If motorhomers on here think The Highlands is not for them that's fine, as we get 6million visitors pa, I don't think missing a few motorhomers will be a problem, but if you want to come I'm sure you'll enjoy the scenery and beautiful environment.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
No - but it’s the other ‘obligations’ that go with being part of that group that I would worry about…….
Let's not reopen the "B" debate but on the other side of the coin is membership of EU would also deliver (repair) significant export benefits to Scotland by return to free trade with reduction in red tape.

4 of the top 10 Scotch exports markets are in the EU (France, Germany, Spain and Poland), c2/3 of the largest UK food export (Scottish salmon) is to the EU, c2/3 of global langoustine production emanates from Scotland, etc.

When members of the EU Scotland received considerable infrastructure investment from the EU.

Whilst there are obligations there has to be a balanced review of the pros and cons to Scottish membership of the EU.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
All this animosity that is quoted on here is, imo, just keyboard warriors.
I'm an incomer to the Highlands, lived here 20 years now with my Invernesian lass.
I have never ever had any animosity towards me, being a builder I do get about and meet lots of people all over the Highlands. Also having a motorhome we wildcamp 90% or more and know plenty of places to go. Never have we had any problems with locals whilst staying anywhere. We pick up rubbish and try to keep places clean from rubbish left in laybys or camp stops.
If motorhomers on here think The Highlands is not for them that's fine, as we get 6million visitors pa, I don't think missing a few motorhomers will be a problem, but if you want to come I'm sure you'll enjoy the scenery and beautiful environment.
STOP IT!:swear2:
Pointing out the benefits of Scotland will just encourage folk to visit just when we thought the "backlash boycott" would make mair room fur us when we're there for a couple of months a year!:wink:

Jul 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Smilely Hymer B524
Exp
Not enough
Problem with the Highlands (where I live) is its approximately 10% of the UK but we only have a population of about 250,000 and get around 6 million visitors, we can't afford to pay for the facilities the everyone expects.
No mention of the revenue generated from the tourism🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Let's not reopen the "B" debate but on the other side of the coin is membership of EU would also deliver (repair) significant export benefits to Scotland by return to free trade with reduction in red tape.

4 of the top 10 Scotch exports markets are in the EU (France, Germany, Spain and Poland), c2/3 of the largest UK food export (Scottish salmon) is to the EU, c2/3 of global langoustine production emanates from Scotland, etc.

When members of the EU Scotland received considerable infrastructure investment from the EU.

Whilst there are obligations there has to be a balanced review of the pros and cons to Scottish membership of the EU.
This is exactly it. The highlands received significant funding from the EU for infrastructure project including roads. It was promised that this EU funding would be replicated once EU finding stopped (see how I avoided the B word 🤣) but sadly the promised funds haven’t yet materialised

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp

To be fair (or pedantic… ;) ), Scotland has never been a member of the EU - it was the ‘United Kingdom’ that was the member…..
The reason I‘ve highlighted this is because the SNP will insist that, when independent, Scotland will ‘rejoin’ the EU………:unsure:

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
You need to pay a visit to the following Facebook Groups where you will be astounded by the sentiments evident there:

NC500 The Land Weeps

NC500 The Dirty Truth

NC500 for Wingers

Ian
Really useful I joined before doing the NC500 after lockdown they had some really useful info on places to stay we had a great time. 🤣

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
To be fair (or pedantic… ;) ), Scotland has never been a member of the EU - it was the ‘United Kingdom’ that was the member…..
The reason I‘ve highlighted this is because the SNP will insist that, when independent, Scotland will ‘rejoin’ the EU………:unsure:
Yes, being pedantic, it was the UK that was a member of EU however you raised, in relation to Scotland, "No - but it’s the other ‘obligations’ that go with being part of that group that I would worry about……." but failed to balance this with the potential benefits of membership hence my comment "Whilst there are obligations there has to be a balanced review of the pros and cons to Scottish membership of the EU."

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Really useful I joined before doing the NC500 after lockdown they had some really useful info on places to stay we had a great time. 🤣

Sounds as though you were on one of the pro NC500 groups not those that I listed, or is that your way of saying that their presence was counterproductive to their cause. 🤔

Ian

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Sounds as though you were on one of the pro NC500 groups not those that I listed, or is that your way of saying that their presence was counterproductive to their cause. 🤔

Ian
No mistaking the agression on those groups could power a small town def counterproductive as they give all the good wildcamping spots away.

Sep 3, 2023
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
AS winchcombe
Exp
Since 2014
Wow that was some read. I'm unsure now where I stand on anything anymore. I'm a Yorkshireman through n through. But I live in an English town given to Scotland in the 12th century and England couldn't be bothered to claim it back. So I sort of live in Scotland. Lol I love Scotland done nc500 before it got cool. And many trips to the lochs. Then there were lots of places to stay. But in a van we did campsites as we ain't back packers to qualify for wild camping. Per se. But back then campsites were reasonable. Now there robbers in England too. No wonder so many want to free camp/wild camp/ push there luck. It's the ignorant rubbish tipers and noise makers who just ruin the whole experience for everyone else. As pointed out on this post. When I go away I want peace n quiet n glass of red a good book with a fantastic vista to marvel at. Even on campsites we get the influx of noisy kids and parents with no clue how to conduct them selves or control their animals.
Since lockdown the influx of the so called would be campers in there builders vans with every conceivable plastic toy for their delinquent offspring scatted across the site boils my p???SS
The site management don't give a stuff n you pay good money to have someone,s tribe kick balls or bow n arrows at your pride n joy. I don't mind paying a tax or a site fee .but I want some assurance I'm getting what I pay for. Weather it's travelling around or on a site. I think the whole society needs a reset.
Rant over.

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
Fundemental difference comparing France to Scotland. France only applies Tourist Tax to foreigners. Scotland like Wales and N Ireland and England are part of the UNITED KINGDOM.
If the Scots promote tourism then they need to put in the infrastructure to support it. Motorcaravans and Campers are a massive growing industry and the Scots need to wake up.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
I'm a I go away I want peace n quiet n glass of red a good book with a fantastic vista to marvel at. Even on campsites we get the influx of noisy kids and parents with no clue how to conduct them selves or control their animals.
Likewise hence I only look for adult only sites now.
The site management don't give a stuff n you pay good money to have someone,s tribe kick balls or bow n arrows at your pride n joy.
In a little defence of site management, I was a site warden for several years and it is so difficult to bloody manage.
And yes I blame the parents / system as one thing the kids and lot of time parents lack respect for others.

Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
There seems to be a lot of critisism of Scotland and its way of doing things and some has been really quite rude.
If you don't like us or our country please ignore the advertising and stay away. Those who aren't rude will be welcomed as always.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Last site we used, in Walrs at Harlech cost us £47 for a piece of grass. In front of us was a motorhome with 3 little yappy dogs that just never stopped. To one side we had a hedge and other side a motorhome with 3 young kids screaming their heads off till after 10pm.
So, no thanks never again.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
Last site we used, in Walrs at Harlech cost us £47 for a piece of grass. In front of us was a motorhome with 3 little yappy dogs that just never stopped. To one side we had a hedge and other side a motorhome with 3 young kids screaming their heads off till after 10pm.
So, no thanks never again.
Again another reason I look for adult only. But can still get the yappy dogs at times.

Aug 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper XL
We are in France at the moment. They add on a tourist tax to almost everything. I guess Scotland could do the same if they provided better facilities.
Phil
We yust came back from France , perhaps that's the reason we didn't see many English reg motorhomes,why get taxed twice ?

KLWinton

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 12, 2023
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Ecore 255
Exp
On and off for 30 years
I think a lot of you need to get off your high horse. Scotland is visited and enjoyed by every nation in the world so don’t think that if the free loading motorhomers who boast they have never paid for a site in the whatever years of travelling don’t come back, believe me you won’t be missed. I have never seen so many racist, bigoted comments in my life. Reminds me of a motorhome waiting at the ferry at Dover for a trip to France. His motorhome was packed with everything you could think of because he wasn’t going to contribute anything to THEIR economy. Ignorance springs to mind. Who needs this types? We don’t need it in Scotland so glad you won’t be back. For those who respect, enjoy and contribute, our door will always be open. Disrespectful freeloaders F off!! Why buy a motorhome to use as a way of cheap living, sleeping in supermarket car parks and dumping your waste in a McDonald’s restaurant. So classy. I have had caravans and motorhomes all my life and always contribute wherever I go as you all should.

Apr 11, 2021
Forest of Dean, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
2 years
Problem with the Highlands (where I live) is its approximately 10% of the UK but we only have a population of about 250,000 and get around 6 million visitors, we can't afford to pay for the facilities the everyone expects.
I maybe missing the point here but if 6million visitors a year visit I wonder how much the locals would miss the revenue that these visitors bring .I have toured Scotland many times and spent a fair bit on meals drinks bars and cafes and sometimes at over inflated prices depending on were you are but in conversation with some they would struggle without the tourist income

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back