Pay for your ‘Wild Camping’ in Scotland…… (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
even then we got the death stare from some of the locals .
mel gibson braveheart GIF

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
‘Woad, woad..and thrice woad’…….
(sorry for the mis-quote…. ;) )

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
A ’tourist tax‘ to ‘visit’ your own country, where you pay taxes to live. Taxes which are used by local authorities across the UK to provide facilities. I’ll happily pay in another country if that’s what they wish, but to pay a visitor tax in my own country raises my hackles!

I wouldn’t mind paying say 10-20 SNeePs or whatever Humza Useless’ government are proposing to use as currency once they throw off the shackles of Westminster - will probably only be worth around 2p in real money.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wouldn’t mind paying say 10-20 SNeePs or whatever Humza Useless’ government are proposing to use as currency once they throw off the shackles of Westminster - will probably only be worth around 2p in real money.
it will be Euros matey... €€€€€€€€€€€€€

you sound envious .. :envy:

and you will need a passport.. 🛂

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
it will be Euros matey... €€€€€€€€€€€€€

you sound envious .. :envy:

and you will need a passport.. 🛂

You think so? Can’t see the big hitters of the Eurozone taking that on board.

Passport not a problem - but it works both ways. ;)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You think so? Can’t see the big hitters of the Eurozone taking that on board.

Passport not a problem - but it works both ways. ;)
Probably not, ... one can but wish.

(but no B discussion allowed)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We DID Scotland in 1995 and then again in the early 2000's. As much as we love the country we would never go again in a motorhome.

As in so many places, not only Scotland, travelling has been totally spoiled.

We've also seen it in our resident country of Spain, and even in countries like Norway.

Between our first year of travelling in a particular country, and our next visit a few years later, things changed totally. Not for the better. A lot more NO MOTORHOMES or NO OVERNIGHTING signs have appeared all over.

Sad 😥😥

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Lots of places to overnight if you bother to look. We wildcamp all year round. And it's nor always motohomers that cause problems. Those car clubs (fast and vintage) cause problems, and quite often there'll be a police clamp down on them. We've had and seen what some of these groups are like ourselves, they are arrogant , inconsiderate and selfish......mmmmm, so like visiting motorhomers.....

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
It's the ferry prices and treatment of campervans/ motorhomes that get my back up. The Scottish Government have messed up the Calmac ferries so badly that the locals, quite rightly, were up in arms about lack of space on the few ferries that were actually available. The answer, make it tough for campervans and motorhomes and charge them extra money. The campsites on the islands must be fuming at the loss of income. They employ people.
I have to say, I reckon a small levy on campervans/ motorhomes travelling to the Iskands is not a bad idea. Use the money to provide infrastructure and clean up after those who can't behave like humans.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Lots of places to overnight if you bother to look. We wildcamp all year round. And it's nor always motohomers that cause problems. Those car clubs (fast and vintage) cause problems, and quite often there'll be a police clamp down on them. We've had and seen what some of these groups are like ourselves, they are arrogant , inconsiderate and selfish......mmmmm, so like visiting motorhomers.....
So easier just to stay away

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hardly ever paid tourist tax in France just the odd Aire, I know a lot of sites charge but we have only spent about 5 nights on sites in 15 years of Motorhoming.
Hi Lenny. It used to be easy staying on free Aires but it’s getting harder now, what with Camping car parks taking over so many especially in the coastal and city regions.
Yes they provide water and dumping areas but they aren’t much better than before. Some of our favourites are CC now.
You can find free ones but in the places we want ? I think the good days are over.
I see Scotland doing similar in time.
Pub stops are spring up everywhere but offering free stops and charging £50 for a meal for two, is that good?
Phil

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
You need to pay a visit to the following Facebook Groups where you will be astounded by the sentiments evident there:

NC500 The Land Weeps

NC500 The Dirty Truth

NC500 for Wingers

Ian
And that's the problem , or part.
The keyboard warriors in them groups that some possibly don't even live there or been around it. Sadly the same over this side of the border. Chinese whispers and bull💩

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Hmm, Scotland's income seems to be oil and tourism mainly. The SNP wants to shut down new oil and appears to be trying to kill of tourism as well?
How do they propose to fix the budget if they succeed?
The answer to that is fishy and a little dram see what I did there

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Only once I’ve ever been to Skotland lol and that was for a weekend on the side of Loch Lochy just below that imaginary thing called Loch Ness.

Owe and just imagine if no sod visited this Ness fish and soon complaints from everywhere “Come back tourists we love you”.

Naaaaa a weekend was enough, but the views was nice but not as good as Wales.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Love Scotland, go whenever we can.

Would happily pay a small tax to help provide facilities and mitigate the impact.

I won’t get drawn into click bait articles that are just poop written by idiots. Neither will I get drawn into politics.

What I can say is small community run aires have been very successful like the one at Findhorn bay, I would happily pay to help things like that.

Stay the night at Forestry Scotland sites is also an excellent example of what can be done.

Idiots taking the mickey are everywhere in all walks of life.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Only once I’ve ever been to Skotland lol and that was for a weekend on the side of Loch Lochy just below that imaginary thing called Loch Ness.

Owe and just imagine if no sod visited this Ness fish and soon complaints from everywhere “Come back tourists we love you”.

Naaaaa a weekend was enough, but the views was nice but not as good as Wales.
Cool story, thanks for sharing.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
The labourer is worthy of his hire. Charging( probably excessive) to provide nothing is a bit of a cheek. Implement a fair charge for a basic 'no frills' provision should be acceptable to all. Otherwise it's the same mindset that introduces car parks with height barriers. Stop treating a significant proportion of tourists like pariahs.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've had a campervan of some description in my life since I passed my driving test aged 17 so that's 33 years now, being born and bred in Scotland the Highlands was my go to place , usually at least 1 weekend a month but often 2 plus Easter, summer and October holiday were spent in the Highlands and I never failed to find free parking spots where I could park up , fish , camp and hike etc . That was long before they overpromoted the scourge that is the nc500. To be honest most of the locals around that area aren't locals at all now but people who moved there from the cities to escape the busy places and like the ex pats in Spain etc they're the biggest complainers about people visiting. It's actually embarrassing seeing the constant greeting from the Highland folk about motorhomes etc, but I see the Same from the cornish, the Welsh, around the lake district etc , anywhere with a bit of scenery and outdoor attractions you get greeting faced locals who think because they happened to be born somewhere it gives them ownership over it. But then that's also why we have a country full of people who whine about immigrants too despite being a nation who invaded and settled all over the globe.

I never go north now , the last time I went further than Aberdeen or Callander was 2017 as I can't be bothered with the wingers. I'd rather go abroad where its at least still a bit better but sadly going the same way in many places.

In my opinion it all boils down to one main factor..... greed!

And that means it will only ever get worse.

And that Blackford clown needs a good slap in my opinion.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
Ian Blackford always came across as funny in the House of Commons.
In reality he is really unpleasant.
A few years ago me and Julie were walking down a narrow road in the highlands. This big car came past us very fast and inches from us. I banged the roof. After a quick discussion he said “go back to your own country”. I wittily responded with a “f**k off”.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Ian Blackford always came across as funny in the House of Commons.
In reality he is really unpleasant.
A few years ago me and Julie were walking down a narrow road in the highlands. This big car came past us very fast and inches from us. I banged the roof. After a quick discussion he said “go back to your own country”. I wittily responded with a “f**k off”.
Ah yes, the poor ‘millionaire Crofter’…….. ;)

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
The out of context quote from Blackford is a prime example of bad journalism.
There was a radio interview with Blackford recently where he discussed problems with so many visitors. Whatever you may (deservedly?) think of him he wasn't being anti motorhome .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back