Pay for your ‘Wild Camping’ in Scotland…… (2 Viewers)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
All part of the learning process. (y)
I remember 20 years ago, the lack of facilities was a problem. Now, Visit Scotland and the Authorities have made it an even bigger problem.

I recall stopping in a lay-by near loch lomand, waking up in the morning and the local yobs who turned up the night before in cars. Had dumped all their McDonalds and take-out papers onto the road (Bins Provided were empty).

Now we have had the boom in Leisure vehicles and it is us now that get the blame for all this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I remember 20 years ago, the lack of facilities was a problem. Now, Visit Scotland and the Authorities have made it an even bigger problem.

I recall stopping in a lay-by near loch lomand, waking up in the morning and the local yobs who turned up the night before in cars. Had dumped all their McDonalds and take-out papers onto the road (Bins Provided were empty).

Now we have had the boom in Leisure vehicles and it is us now that get the blame for all this.
You see thats what I have mentioned many, many times before, on so many threads.
Wherever the public go especially on mass, there will be a littering, maybe even mindless vandalism happening.
It seems that its even worse if there is any trace of litter, as too many feel its OK to add to it, blaming the local authorities for not clearing it up regularly enough.
I have witnessed the "cool" activity of " all together!, windows down, chuck!" what made it more maddening was it was a woman & 3 men dressed in full army khaki uniforms at a Burger King Car Park in Aldershot, Hants.:swear:
LES

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You see thats what I have mentioned many, many times before, on so many threads.
Wherever the public go especially on mass, there will be a littering, maybe even mindless vandalism happening.
It seems that its even worse if there is any trace of litter, as too many feel its OK to add to it, blaming the local authorities for not clearing it up regularly enough.
I have witnessed the "cool" activity of " all together!, windows down, chuck!" what made it more maddening was it was a woman & 3 men dressed in full army khaki uniforms at a Burger King Car Park in Aldershot, Hants.:swear:
LES
I'd say 95% of the rubbish and toilet waste comes from people in cars.

But no restrictions on cars. Motorhomes are simply an easy target and they think more restrictions will push them all on to sites.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
There seems to be a bit of a boom in these Launderettes https://stores.revolution-laundry.com/en-uk
Great idea for folk on motorhome trips.
Maybe someone will cotton on the the fact that if you put one of the CamperClean stations alongside some of the launderettes then it might help the emptying toilet cassette issue?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
There seems to be a bit of a boom in these Launderettes https://stores.revolution-laundry.com/en-uk
Maybe someone will cotton on the the fact that if you put one of the CamperClean stations alongside some of the launderettes then it might help the emptying toilet cassette issue?
I use a few of them. Handy as I full time. A few I know are at Shell stations that also sell LPG so extra handy.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Those petrol station launderettes are the best invention since sliced bread .

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I'd say 95% of the rubbish and toilet waste comes from people in cars.

But no restrictions on cars. Motorhomes are simply an easy target and they think more restrictions will push them all on to sites.
when we used to travel to the south of France in the 70's. Lay-bys were full of human waste and toile paper from car driver/passengers

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
when we used to travel to the south of France in the 70's. Lay-bys were full of human waste and toile paper from car driver/passengers
A couple of years ago we stopped in a layby just outside Dieppe for lunch. A car draws up in front of us, bloke gets out drops his trousers and does a crap. Just throws the paper down with the crap he was all of 2ft from a waste bin.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I use a few of them. Handy as I full time. A few I know are at Shell stations that also sell LPG so extra handy.
Get it while you can monzer we have lost all our Shell Autogas Pumps down here, and the reasons are listed below. Note that this statement was made way back in 2020, getting as rare as Rocking horse poo, especially when we travel up to the highlands. The garage outside Ullapool center on the industrial estate wants £1.43 a ltr last time I checked.
LES
Does Shell still sell LPG?
Fuel company Shell is ending the supply of Autogas liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) at its UK forecourts, citing low demand and prohibitive compliance costs. The Autogas UK website has been replaced with a notice regarding the decision and a schedule of closure dates for the remaining facilities.30 Oct 2020

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Get it while you can monzer we have lost all our Shell Autogas Pumps down here, and the reasons are listed below. Note that this statement was made way back in 2020, getting as rare as Rocking horse poo, especially when we travel up to the highlands. The garage outside Ullapool center on the industrial estate wants £1.43 a ltr last time I checked.
LES
Does Shell still sell LPG?
Fuel company Shell is ending the supply of Autogas liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) at its UK forecourts, citing low demand and prohibitive compliance costs. The Autogas UK website has been replaced with a notice regarding the decision and a schedule of closure dates for the remaining facilities.30 Oct 2020
Yeah fingers crossed. My go to places for LPG are both shell garages. Aberdeen and Musselburgh just outside Edinburgh.

Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Yeah fingers crossed. My go to places for LPG are both shell garages. Aberdeen and Musselburgh just outside Edinburgh.
West coast Morrisons and BP for me.
Shell I now avoid as they seem to concentrate only in "profit centres'. It doesn't support us, so why ... ?
How many Shell garages in the rural areas?

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
To he honest all the brits who happen to live in tourist areas are greeting faces.
Oh I agree..... but its getting harder to greet faces as the pirate ferry companies are doing a great job of stopping folks visiting here.
Think a wet version of border control in solent control

Jan 30, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2010
The tourist tax that I paid in France varied but wasn't enough to bother me. In one town I was paying 20 centimes (0.2 Euro) per day. How much is our Celtic Fringe neighbour proposing to charge per person per day?
I live in an area that depends on tourism, and within this area you will get the wealthy folk winging about tourists because they don't rely on tourism to pay their bills. This will be the same wherever you go in any town or country. There are people who only leave footprints behind and there are people who couldn't give a toss. There is/was a big problem with campers around Loch Lommond leaving huge amounts of rubbish, just walking away and leaving everything they came with. Someone put it down to students but who can tell. This type of thing is often blamed on the M/Homer unfortunately

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I live in an area that depends on tourism, and within this area you will get the wealthy folk winging about tourists because they don't rely on tourism to pay their bills. This will be the same wherever you go in any town or country. There are people who only leave footprints behind and there are people who couldn't give a toss. There is/was a big problem with campers around Loch Lommond leaving huge amounts of rubbish, just walking away and leaving everything they came with. Someone put it down to students but who can tell. This type of thing is often blamed on the M/Homer unfortunately
Absolutely, where we live on the moors it is always people in cars who leave all the rubbish, I see it weekly, never ever seen a Motorhome leave rubbish

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back