Pay for your ‘Wild Camping’ in Scotland…… (1 Viewer)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
In today’s Times……

Tax motorhomers too, Highland council urges

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Start with the Hire companies, renting out 4/6 berth vans with only one toilet cassette, and little if no proper instruction on how to not upset the locals by ditching rubbish & WC waste in inappropriate areas.

I have been known to litter pick in the most remote places, which always angers me, but I draw a line at WC waste.
NC500 victim of its own success, not enough thought has gone into providing basic facilities, like public toilets, waste bins, that lets face it, everyone in all forms of transport needs, even the locals.
Then maybe we can discuss the added value of a tourist tax.
LES

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We are in France at the moment. They add on a tourist tax to almost everything. I guess Scotland could do the same if they provided better facilities.
Phil
Hardly ever paid tourist tax in France just the odd Aire, I know a lot of sites charge but we have only spent about 5 nights on sites in 15 years of Motorhoming.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Fed up with hearing the Scots winging about tourists, it's there own fault. The Scottish tourist board kept promoting Scotland & the NC500 and now they do nothing but moan when the tourists come. It's their problem not ours.

That is bang on Lenny. They want it all it seems, but don’t want to splash out on adequate facilities. More people should call them out.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
It's a social media thing at the moment ot appears , ironically started by a couple who run own a camp site lol. Sadly there are, like in society in general a few that won't follow rules re toilet litter etc and possibly the majority will be hit. I'm full time and not really looked outside this beautiful country we live in, but the huge anti us in many ways already here, I may well look overseas.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We are in France at the moment. They add on a tourist tax to almost everything. I guess Scotland could do the same if they provided better facilities.
Phil

The tourist tax that I paid in France varied but wasn't enough to bother me. In one town I was paying 20 centimes (0.2 Euro) per day. How much is our Celtic Fringe neighbour proposing to charge per person per day?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Fed up with hearing the Scots winging about tourists, it's there own fault. The Scottish tourist board kept promoting Scotland & the NC500 and now they do nothing but moan when the tourists come. It's their problem not ours.
And now Wacos wack at least £100 surcharge on motorhomes using island ferries. That and banning motorhomes and caravans from standby lanes.
1695028278878.png

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
Problem with the Highlands (where I live) is its approximately 10% of the UK but we only have a population of about 250,000 and get around 6 million visitors, we can't afford to pay for the facilities the everyone expects.
Agree which is where the government should be encouraging and helping folks put into place some more facilities for the visitors, rather than trying to almost keep the visitors out.
Our council here is the same. The island survives on visitors but with a huge amount or retired down too here nimbys on here now, nothing gets done to encourage it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Problem with the Highlands (where I live) is its approximately 10% of the UK but we only have a population of about 250,000 and get around 6 million visitors, we can't afford to pay for the facilities the everyone expects.
Perhaps they shouldn't encourage the visiters then.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
There's nothing like the thought of actually having to pay for something that gets a certain type of motorhomer going - by which I mean the ones that want/expect facilities to be provided free and absolve themselves from any blame if anything goes wrong. They also seem to want the chicken before the egg, missing the point of the article that says the tourist tax could be used to actually improve facilities when their expectation is that they might condescend to pay some tax if the facilities were there. Good luck to Scotland in trying to sort this out but it seems fair to me.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
There's nothing like the thought of actually having to pay for something that gets a certain type of motorhomer going - by which I mean the ones that want/expect facilities to be provided free and absolve themselves from any blame if anything goes wrong. They also seem to want the chicken before the egg, missing the point of the article that says the tourist tax could be used to actually improve facilities when their expectation is that they might condescend to pay some tax if the facilities were there. Good luck to Scotland in trying to sort this out but it seems fair to me.
Im not against a charge per se IF it goes to the right places. But the trouble is though, like other 'tax' schemes recently introduced where does the millions gained go too?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
OK I'm old so FLT is???
Free Loading T?

Basically someone who wants everything for nothing, moans when they don't get a first class service for no cost and teaves trash behind. A FLT is very different from a stealth camper who may or may not pay to park / camp in a beautiful place but leaves nothing behind (perhaps some £s in local shops) and only takes away photos and good memories along with their rubbish (including cassette contents).

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
Ahhh new one to me.
And agree buttttttt we ain't the vast majority of FLT are we?
I'm not. Happy to support local towns, shops, petrol, camp sites yes camp sites etc. Living where I do, I know the impact visitors have on the place.
Again sadly like the modern society its always the minority that spoil it.
Oh n social media poo stirrers

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Stop going to Scotland and it’s islands and they’ll soon complain when they loose tourists which put a bloody large amount into communities.

Those complaining are just selfish and most probably don’t go on holiday or outside of their front doors.

Dec 20, 2013
Kilsyth, Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
It isn’t helpful to use language generalising “the winging Scots” as it wouldn’t be to say generalise “the arrogant English”. Not all of either nationality are wingers or arrogant about tourists! Many local businesses in Scotland (many run by non Scots) are reliant on these tourists for their livliehood. Whilst the Scottish tourist organisations are promoting and encouraging visitors, it is not the same groups who are unhappy and campaigning for change to address and manage the resultant problems.

Having said the above, it is easy for us responsible motorhomers to think that everyone is like ourselves. There is little doubt that the understandable popularity of campervans, motorhomes, vans, caravans and campers is placing great stress on popular areas around the UK. The Highland situation is a good example where its popularity exploded during and following the Covid period, along with the growth in vehicle sales and holidaying at home. This has placed great pressure on this particular area, which could never have dreamt that the creation of for example the ‘branding’ of the NC500 route could have taken off as it has. We now have guide books on the route, promoting its higher profile and ‘encouraging’ even more pressure. It is made so much worse by many ‘inconsiderate’ and ‘uneducated’ travellers (from Scotland and wider) who do not follow best practice in terms of parking, waste disposal etc and have lack of understanding of the Scottish system of ‘wild camping’ - which does not give such rights to any vehicle to ‘wild camp’ off road. The Scottish system allows ‘back pack campers’ to have these rights within clear guidelines. Whilst we motorhomers may visit for a short period and act responsibly, if we had to live all year with the experience of the full range of behaviours maybe we might appreciate the scale of the problem. These problems I should add are not restricted to the Highland region and the NC500 - but is becoming common place is many other parts of Scotland and the UK. Highland Council through its experiences is leading in trying to address the management of recreational vehicle tourists.
However to return to the original post - I doubt the practicality of levying a ‘tourist tax’ on off grid/ off road overnight Motorhome stops, tent campers etc as is being suggestEd - but where there is a will…!

My view is that this will become an increasing problem across Scotland and other UK ‘honey pots’ as more people are encouraged to take to the outdoors and holiday at home for a variety of reasons. The changes and infrastructure needed will take time within a UK nation which did not have the same developed culture for such pastimes as other European nations. The changes we face may not be to everyone’s liking - especially those who will not wish to be ‘restricted’ or managed, or who will just remain inconsiderate ‘campers’.

Just to clarify, the proposal by Highland Council in this context is to include a tourist tax for ‘Wild Campers’ (back pack campers) under the Scottish definition, off road/grid motorhomes/ camper vans etc and cruise ship passengers who do not stay in local paid for accommodations!

As we all know, the UK generally is far less friendly towards motorhomers etc, unlike many other mainland European neighbours. I for one would not mind paying a ‘tourist tax’ as I do when travelling around mainland Europe. However, I would hope and expect that this tax would be used to develop appropriate facilities and to educate and manage the influx of visitors.

As Forrest Gump said “ that’s all I have to say”😊

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Im not against a charge per se IF it goes to the right places. But the trouble is though, like other 'tax' schemes recently introduced where does the millions gained go too?
I share your concern BEAR that the monies raised would be used appropriately. In '22 Highland council closed a fair number of public toilets despite tourist numbers.

So unless it is absolutely clear (and with accounts to demonstrate income and expenditure and on what tourist improvement projects) no thanks to extra tax.

Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner elegance821
Exp
Van life for 13 years
I share your concern BEAR that the monies raised would be used appropriately. In '22 Highland council closed a fair number of public toilets despite tourist numbers.

So unless it is absolutely clear (and with accounts to demonstrate income and expenditure and on what tourist improvement projects) no thanks to extra tax.
Same here re public toilets. Some villages actually took them over. Basic needs for folks is it not?

Well let's face it, no chance of that happening te transparency is there.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Stop going to Scotland and it’s islands and they’ll soon complain when they loose tourists which put a bloody large amount into communities.

Those complaining are just selfish and most probably don’t go on holiday or outside of their front doors.
Too late....apparently it's all the ferries fault (90% hit rate)..... No mention of inflation, fuel prices, ferry costs etc.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
A ’tourist tax‘ to ‘visit’ your own country, where you pay taxes to live. Taxes which are used by local authorities across the UK to provide facilities. I’ll happily pay in another country if that’s what they wish, but to pay a visitor tax in my own country raises my hackles!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think you are missing the point, they created the problem but aren't prepared to do anything about it.
I like to camp for free but like most of us we don't mind paying two or three quid to dump & fill with water or even a fiver to park he night without facilities, but not prepared to pay some of the rip off prices.

They encouraged thousands of Motorhomes to visit Scotland but didn't give any thought to whether the infrastructure could support it. As reported by someone else they have actually closed down loads of public loos when they should have been opening many more.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
There are many Park in The Forest places and small Aire like areas where you can pay a small sum to 'wild camp' in the moho - have used these several times and they have been beautiful; silent; mainly unoccupied. They dont have water or loo dumps- but you can choose to top up/dump at a campsite or sometimes pay to use camp facilities. Have never seen or heard anyone local complaining about mohos- the locals are friendly and the scenery heart stompingly beautiful.
Most people would pay something somehow to preserve this fantastic habitat and make it more motorhome friendly - it needs a co ordinated effort as others have said . More registered 'Aire ' type places and more non-serviced pay per night wild areas could help but the Scottish government need to get their act together.
And PS French and German motorhomers pay the same fees etc for aires as us foreigners - dont hear of them moaning about it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back