MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!
I've mot'd it a dozen times in my head working my way back from front to back everything they check , lights. Wipers, horn, brake pipes , bearings, shocks etc etc ....I can't see nowt obvious... not sure the handbrake is strong enough but they're always a bit crap on motorhomes it seems so fingers crossed 🤞
Hate mot day it's like sitting a feckin exam lol.
Always reminds me of sitting at the dentist.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Mine is in the garage too today, for an intermittent starting problem, sometimes (most times at least once, sometimes loads) just get a click when I turn the key. Of course, yesterday and today it has behaved impeccably! Asked them to clean up the earth points if doesn't misbehave for diagnostics.

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Mine is in the garage too today, for an intermittent starting problem, sometimes (most times at least once, sometimes loads) just get a click when I turn the key. Of course, yesterday and today it has behaved impeccably! Asked them to clean up the earth points if doesn't misbehave for diagnostics.
Our ford transit had this problem, the switch behind the key was worn. I think its common with them. I bought a replacement off ebay for £20 which fixed it, except I then had a different key for the door to the ignition! Then spent £150 for ford to do properly when we sold it 🤔

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So anyway it's failed on the handbrake 0% effort on the nearside , there's slight play in the wheel bearing too which was an advisory. I suspect the bearing wasn't adjusted properly last year.

The garage was great though they've lent us the big socket to get the hub off as I didn't have one so we're going to have a go at it this afternoon...in the rain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Our ford transit had this problem, the switch behind the key was worn. I think its common with them. I bought a replacement off ebay for £20 which fixed it, except I then had a different key for the door to the ignition! Then spent £150 for ford to do properly when we sold it 🤔
That rings a bell now you mention it (from a previous van), I recently replaced a door lock after a French 'erbert tried to force my drivers door, I bought a whole lock set so actually have a spare ignition barrel. I'll see what the garage come up with before getting too carried away. You can usually dismantle lock barrels and swap the little slidy bits over to keep the same key.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Bad Luck Tam, I hate adjusting hand brakes, slightly too much slack taken up & and they bind, too little and they fail on the roller test.
When you say badly adjusted wheel bearing fitted by garage last year, I'm not sure what you mean, its a bloody tight fit at the best of times needing a hydraulic press to release the old one and fit the new, so I will wait to see what you discover on dismantling the hub.
Sorry to hear about the rain also, we haven't had any for a week over here in Surrey, its a pain having to water the flower pots/veggies every night, even doing the neighbours as they are away on hols.
Plus feeding their family pet rabbit, what a useless pet there are, they just seem to be Feart the whole time, eating or shitting, no affection returned in any way.:rolleyes:
Good luck.
LES

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Plus feeding their family pet rabbit, what a useless pet there are, they just seem to be Feart the whole time, eating or shitting, no affection returned in any way.:rolleyes:
We used to have a Netherlands dwarf rabbit called Hartley, he was a real character with no fear of our dogs. When we went away our neighbour offered to feed him.

When we got back home he said he wouldn't do it again as he was fearful of Hartley. 😳 Apparently when he opened the cage and went to retrieve the food bowl Hartley charged out of his sleeping cubby grunting, it scared our friend silly! 😄

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What a bloody day we picked to do this ... rain and strong winds, but we got all the caliper, hub and disc etc stripped off . The whole lining is missing off the handbrake shoes. No idea how that's possible but it had completely disintegrated and that was new shoes last year . Unless the garage put the old shoes back on and lied ....they certainly don't look a year old but who knows. The bearing had play in it so to save mucking about and it needing replaced later I'm going to replace that too. So Gary took the hub down to the garage and they've removed the old wheel bearing for us with a press. And he's currently in Truro at iveco ordering a new bearing for me , we've got a new set of shoes .. I've spent the time cleaning up all the oil on the wheel etc and making sure the van is propped up safe as I've gotta sleep in there tonight. Hopefully we will get the bearing tomorrow and can put it all back together 🤞

I've done 15k miles in the van since last year but I'd have thought a genuine iveco wheel bearing would have lasted longer than that. So who knows...this is why I don't trust garages and so called "professionals " the side that was done in Greece is perfect. Great handbrake on that side and no play in bearing .

In the grand scheme of things it's not too bad for an old van , no other advisories etc it's just annoying that this work was done last year so I was complacent and never thought there would be a problem. So that was a waste of £400😒

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
What a bloody day we picked to do this ... rain and strong winds, but we got all the caliper, hub and disc etc stripped off . The whole lining is missing off the handbrake shoes. No idea how that's possible but it had completely disintegrated and that was new shoes last year . Unless the garage put the old shoes back on and lied ....they certainly don't look a year old but who knows. The bearing had play in it so to save mucking about and it needing replaced later I'm going to replace that too. So Gary took the hub down to the garage and they've removed the old wheel bearing for us with a press. And he's currently in Truro at iveco ordering a new bearing for me , we've got a new set of shoes .. I've spent the time cleaning up all the oil on the wheel etc and making sure the van is propped up safe as I've gotta sleep in there tonight. Hopefully we will get the bearing tomorrow and can put it all back together 🤞

I've done 15k miles in the van since last year but I'd have thought a genuine iveco wheel bearing would have lasted longer than that. So who knows...this is why I don't trust garages and so called "professionals " the side that was done in Greece is perfect. Great handbrake on that side and no play in bearing .

In the grand scheme of things it's not too bad for an old van , no other advisories etc it's just annoying that this work was done last year so I was complacent and never thought there would be a problem. So that was a waste of £400😒
It is always something with a vehicle Tam they don’t have an easy life either, always on the heavy side👍

Jul 29, 2024
Funster No
MH
Imminent Purchase!

That's a lot of work for a day.

Definitely owe you and Garry some food and drink!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Subconsciously you knew that was coming

( not sure the handbrake is strong enough ) 😅

No problem to Just smiffy 😊
Yeah it was the one thing I thought there would be an advisory on .

I'm wondering if it's all stemmed from the sticking brake pads and it's maybe overheated everything on the rear hub. Shoes bearing etc.

Anyway we didn't get a wheelbearing today . They had issues with the part number , found loads online so will have to go back down the motor factors in morning see if they're checking the right number. Hopefully we can find somewhere with one in stock

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I remember falling off my chair when you mentioned the wheel bearing price the last time you had one replaced. There were two options I believe...1. Iveco totally ridiculous price...2. OE equivalent.
Both were dear enough though.
LES

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I remember falling off my chair when you mentioned the wheel bearing price the last time you had one replaced. There were two options I believe...1. Iveco totally ridiculous price...2. OE equivalent.
Both were dear enough though.
LES
Yeah iveco was £180 , in Greece I paid more than that again . But the part number from iveco invoice brings up an skf bearing and I can buy it on ebay for £42 , but I need it now not in a few days .. so will go back to motor factors tomorrow armed with the part numbers and I can show them the pics etc. It's because the chassis number on this doesn't bring up the right details . It just comes up as Italy other .
Even the v4 says Ford rather than iveco. Ford fiat iveco changed names a lot

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It has to be said Just smiffy is a legend , I'm about tearing my hair out worrying about this van ..and getting stressed about it all and he just takes it in his stride ...practically having to shove him out the way today to get near the van as he's in there taking calipers off etc .. we spent the first 30-40 minutes trying to get a bleeding bolt out the back of the caliper before we finally realised we were turning the fecker the wrong way. Battling with the weather etc . It was hard going but we got it off then he was off chasing the parts etc.

I'm just glad I was here and not trying to sort it in some carpark somewhere. He's been an absolute diamond the last couple of weeks . The guy deserves a funster medal or at least a round of applause.

Yer a star garry and despite my moping and mithering mate Im bloody grateful for your help and level head. P

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Tam is a worrier, I’m not but it’s not my van but I’m keeping him calm as he wants it done right and seeing as I’m a “professional” 😆 we will both get it done and get it done right………..

…….eventually…🤣
Glad your there for him Just smiffy calming influence he's an awful man for worrying, and I've tealt him 100 times or more Amor Fati big yin Amor Fati but he just keeps saying "who are you calling fatty!" Lol

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Trying to tighten up instead of undoing it… :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

When we realised I said I’m going to slap you then you can kick me while I’m sitting on the floor…😆🤣

Most on here just see Tam as a big tattooed Scotsman with attitude sometimes, but believe me he is a bloke with morals and discipline that believes in right and wrong and he defends that stance most of the time and it could come across to some as being an arse but he’s just sticking up for what he believes in….

In reality he’s a big softie that cares about some people and especially his dogs…

He will be up and running soon and then I’m going to have the new van on the bloody drive while he/we sort it out…😏

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Trying to tighten up instead of undoing it… :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

When we realised I said I’m going to slap you then you can kick me while I’m sitting on the floor…😆🤣

Most on here just see Tam as a big tattooed Scotsman with attitude sometimes, but believe me he is a bloke with morals and discipline that believes in right and wrong and he defends that stance most of the time and it could come across to some as being an arse but he’s just sticking up for what he believes in….

In reality he’s a big softie that cares about some people and especially his dogs…

He will be up and running soon and then I’m going to have the new van on the bloody drive while he/we sort it out…😏
Oi whau r ye callin soft...

Hard as nails me lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back