MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Yeah it's not so much about being honorable as me wanting to get as much back for moby as I can. With all my other vans bar the white vario I've made a profit when selling them. The white vario I got back near enough what I'd physically spent on it but would never have got back the hours, weeks, months I spent working on it. With moby it owes me about £15.5k and I will have to spend a little more on it to get it to a condition I can sell it , if I was keeping it I'd have went a bit more to bring it up to a higher standard but I also don't want to bodge it, I want to fix it so it lasts a while and doesn't just break again . And then I'm hoping with a full mot and the bits I'm doing sorted that I'll get around £15k back for it. It's a far far better van than it was a year ago when I bought it. Its just finding someone that's appreciative of that. There's a lot of vans for sale out there just now. Many that may look better on the surface but will need a lot of money spent. Just doing all the electrics on this last year was over £2k
You could slip Uncle Lennys number/address in the van somewhere and sell it with a lifetime warranty on the electrics 😂 😂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just doing all the electrics on this last year was over £2k
Well if you will go to the guru of MH electrics 😆 ... If you'd done it yourself you'd have saved £1,500 by using an old Genny and candles. 😄

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well if you will go to the guru of MH electrics 😆 ... If you'd done it yourself you'd have saved £1,500 by using an old Genny and candles. 😄
I wanted it done right lol. If I can't do something my self WELL then I ask or enlist the help of others who can. I've always done the Same. Not in to bodges etc and when I did the work on this van it was done for peace of mind and to last it a while. Its an old van and it has a few minor issues due to age etc but overall its a very good van....I would happily set off and drive this van halfway round the world tomorrow... in fact I already did lol. And bar a few minor issues, alternator and brakes it never missed a beat. Pretty good for 26 years old .

It's one thing that makes me nervous about changing because for once I never had/have to worry about running put of power etc . I barely use a 5th of my available power in this van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Rita, Sue and bob too

I’ll be legless bob, not sure about mackeellan but this is definitely Rita…😳

IMG_0678.jpeg

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
You have had more than a couple of grands use out of Moby so technically you will be in profit.
Exactly, I have a friend who bought a VW Transporter, brand new, from a conversion company last September, already wanting something with a toilet and shower but very philosophical over the loss, she has spent at least 80% of her ownership in it, and as the cost is circa £1000 a week to rent she isn't bothered!

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Exactly, I have a friend who bought a VW Transporter, brand new, from a conversion company last September, already wanting something with a toilet and shower but very philosophical over the loss, she has spent at least 80% of her ownership in it, and as the cost is circa £1000 a week to rent she isn't bothered!
Probably has a job or an income.

I can't afford the losses

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Probably has a job or an income.

I can't afford the losses
Does your 'cost' include how much you'd have had to pay to live somewhere other than in your MH though? Surely with what you paid and how little you've had to spend on living expenses, despite the bits you've had to sort, you must be quids in 'in the real world?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Does your 'cost' include how much you'd have had to pay to live somewhere other than in your MH though? Surely with what you paid and how little you've had to spend on living expenses, despite the bits you've had to sort, you must be quids in 'in the real world?
Quids in or not lol I'd like as much back for moby as I can get .

One of the reasons I live fulltime in a camper is because I have cheaper living costs.

Buying the new van costs me more than I'm physically paying for it too as I will lose the interest on the money in the bank . Over a year it all adds up.

When I was working it didn't matter so much .

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I wanted it done right lol. If I can't do something my self WELL then I ask or enlist the help of others who can. I've always done the Same. Not in to bodges etc and when I did the work on this van it was done for peace of mind and to last it a while. Its an old van and it has a few minor issues due to age etc but overall its a very good van....I would happily set off and drive this van halfway round the world tomorrow... in fact I already did lol. And bar a few minor issues, alternator and brakes it never missed a beat. Pretty good for 26 years old .

It's one thing that makes me nervous about changing because for once I never had/have to worry about running put of power etc . I barely use a 5th of my available power in this van.
You have enough pennies to not to have to worry about that if you wish Tam, I understand that you want to be careful with your money but it is your fulf time home after all, you could just book yourself in at the friendly forum members at offgrid power solutions and have it done with, you will have enough other jobs to worry about when you get going, a new van always throws up unwanted surprises but I am sure that you will come out on top👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You have enough pennies to not to have to worry about that if you wish Tam, I understand that you want to be careful with your money but it is your fulf time home after all, you could just book yourself in at the friendly forum members at offgrid power solutions and have it done with, you will have enough other jobs to worry about when you get going, a new van always throws up unwanted surprises but I am sure that you will come out on top👍
Until I've moved in and used the new van I won't know my requirements but if I get moby sold fairly quickly I plan to at least have solar fitted to the n&b which I'll do myself , and hopefully get the generator up and running. That'll hopefully do me for this winter in Spain and Morocco then I'll maybe look in to upgrading to lithium next spring/summer. Even a b2b would be a big help but the leisure batteries couldn't be further from the starter battery than it is on the n&b .

Once I've made sure everything in the n&b is working , heating, fridge other appliances etc then I'll be more than happy to invest a bit more money in it upgrading.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Yes the main thing I didn't like with the bigger vans was the tag axle and low ground clearance. So I vowed I'd never have another tag axle . And I wanted rear wheel drive. The n&b ticks the most boxes of any van I've ever bought. I wasn't exaggerating when I said it was 95% perfect. The layout is exactly what I wanted with the rear bed , bathroom and no drop down bed in the front . It doesn't have an oven but otherwise inside is perfect. It's lhd, rwd, single rear axle and not fiat which was also my preference.. I'd have preferred the 3.0 engine but with a remap I think the 2.8 will be fine .

So unless there's serious issues with it or I decide to return to bricks and mortar at present I can't see any reason ahead to be changing it again.
But you can fix an oven or buy a skillet

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Quids in or not lol I'd like as much back for moby as I can get .
👍 I totally understand that.

One of the reasons I live fulltime in a camper is because I have cheaper living costs.

Buying the new van costs me more than I'm physically paying for it too as I will lose the interest on the money in the bank . Over a year it all adds up.
I get that but due to circumstances you also have more in savings due to your inheritance than you would have had otherwise which should more than make up for the loss on your original 'soon to be spent' savings.
When I was working it didn't matter so much .
I get that too but to be honest not many people at your age have the way with all not to have to work most of the year and instead do 9 months trips. I'm pleased that it suits you but you are fortunate to be able to make a choice in how your life/work balance is managed, many aren't.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
👍 I totally understand that.

I get that but due to circumstances you also have more in savings due to your inheritance than you would have had otherwise which should more than make up for the loss on your original 'soon to be spent' savings.

I get that too but to be honest not many people at your age have the way with all not to have to work most of the year and instead do 9 months trips. I'm pleased that it suits you but you are fortunate to be able to make a choice in how your life/work balance is managed, many aren't.
That's why I have savings lol .

I'm no getting your point.

Obviously if moby doesn't sell after a few weeks I'll have to adjust the asking price . But at the moment I'd like to get back as close to what it has cost me. I'd really have liked to see a profit on it but I think that's unlikely given the drop in the market .

I'm well aware that overall I'm in a better position than many people In the world the same way that there's many in a far better situation than me. But I'm also aware I'm 51 , no house, no pension and no employment so whilst I can do a lot , I can't be completely reckless as no one including myself knows what the future holds .

But there's only one other mobilvetta eurayacht for sale in the country at present and I'd say moby was better than it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hunt, Lunt and Cunningham :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!