MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (17 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
True but when you're full time you need a bit more space. I did plan to stay under 8 metres but what's 400mm between friends lol.
You are quite right, a small van would do my head in, space is very important to me, same with houses, it takes 10 minutes to walk from the east wing to the west wing at my gaff but as long as the butler gives me enough notice we are just fine🤷🏻‍♂️😇😆

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yeah damm my mum for shuffling off 10 years early.

Very inconsiderate of her
Tam, you know full well that was a joke by SM so not nice to make him feel bad for posting in fun. You've changed vans loads of times and again since so it's not all down to the sad departure of your mum. 😐

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, you know full well that was a joke by SM so not nice to make him feel bad for posting in fun. You've changed vans loads of times and again since so it's not all down to the sad departure of your mum. 😐
And likewise Scotch mist knows I was joking hence me putting a funny on his post when he made it. 🤷‍♂️

I'm changing vans again because of several reasons.

But like everyone else circumstances change and that's why the van gets changed.

To be honest though my mum and I shared graveside humour right up till the day she died , we actually joked about the fact I'd just changed vans and bought my caravan etc then we found out about her illness. .. and I said to her that her timing was impeccable.

I'm making no promises that the n&b will be my last van, but I always knew this one wouldn't be.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
And likewise Scotch mist knows I was joking hence me putting a funny on his post when he made it. 🤷‍♂️

But like everyone else circumstances change and that's why the van gets changed.

Except that this time you are not changing vans........

.........you are changing a van for a Motorhome. ;) :LOL:

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
I'm on my way Tam and Gary, stopped for a bite to eat. This light drizzle has turned into a torrent. I'll sleep in parkup tonight and be with you in the morning.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So this is the things I'm hoping to fix over the next few days with the help of mackeellan and with Just smiffy making the teas 😜.

First up the floor in front of the fridge , this van has a floor made of 40mm thick polystyrene sandwiched between plywood, this area obviously because it gets most traffic the ply has split and the floor sinks when stood on . Not sure how we're sorting it yet will have to open it up to see.
20240808_135712_copy_1209x1612.jpg
20240808_135704_copy_1209x1612.jpg

The rear section is plywood and different lino so someone has messed with it in the past. Once sorted it will have new lino.

Then the other big Job is sorting the bathroom, the area under the rear window is damaged because all the windows leaked when I bought it. All windows were removed and resealed but I didn't have time to sort this before I went off on my travels , we plan to cut the bottom section of wall board off. Replace the supports , replace the insulation and then re panel it. Problem then will be making it all match and look nice so again not sure at present how we are doing that. Few possibilities in mind.

If I'd been keeping the van I'd have stripped out the toilet and sink and made the whole room a wet room but for selling it that isn't ideal. So will see how it turns out.
20240808_150321_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240808_150336_copy_1209x1612.jpg
20240808_150330_copy_1209x1612.jpg

And then I've a load of small jobs to do in between.

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
So this is the things I'm hoping to fix over the next few days with the help of mackeellan and with Just smiffy making the teas 😜.

First up the floor in front of the fridge , this van has a floor made of 40mm thick polystyrene sandwiched between plywood, this area obviously because it gets most traffic the ply has split and the floor sinks when stood on . Not sure how we're sorting it yet will have to open it up to see. View attachment 933320View attachment 933321
The rear section is plywood and different lino so someone has messed with it in the past. Once sorted it will have new lino.

Then the other big Job is sorting the bathroom, the area under the rear window is damaged because all the windows leaked when I bought it. All windows were removed and resealed but I didn't have time to sort this before I went off on my travels , we plan to cut the bottom section of wall board off. Replace the supports , replace the insulation and then re panel it. Problem then will be making it all match and look nice so again not sure at present how we are doing that. Few possibilities in mind.

If I'd been keeping the van I'd have stripped out the toilet and sink and made the whole room a wet room but for selling it that isn't ideal. So will see how it turns out. View attachment 933324View attachment 933325View attachment 933326

And then I've a load of small jobs to do in betwee

First up the floor in front of the fridge , this van has a floor made of 40mm thick polystyrene sandwiched between plywood, this area obviously because it gets most traffic the ply has split and the floor sinks when stood on . Not sure how we're sorting it yet will have to open it up to see. View attachment 933320View attachment 933321

If I'd been keeping the van I'd have stripped out the toilet and sink and made the whole room a wet room but for selling it that isn't ideal. So will see how it turns out. View attachment 933324View attachment 933325View attachment 933326

And then I've a load of small jobs to do in between.
no probs to the A team (y)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When we changed from the 9m tag euramobil we said nothing over 8m a preference been a 7.5m, however sometimes you just go with your gut. That's a cracking van you are going into which I'm sure you will love.
Yes the main thing I didn't like with the bigger vans was the tag axle and low ground clearance. So I vowed I'd never have another tag axle . And I wanted rear wheel drive. The n&b ticks the most boxes of any van I've ever bought. I wasn't exaggerating when I said it was 95% perfect. The layout is exactly what I wanted with the rear bed , bathroom and no drop down bed in the front . It doesn't have an oven but otherwise inside is perfect. It's lhd, rwd, single rear axle and not fiat which was also my preference.. I'd have preferred the 3.0 engine but with a remap I think the 2.8 will be fine .

So unless there's serious issues with it or I decide to return to bricks and mortar at present I can't see any reason ahead to be changing it again.

Jan 11, 2011
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Consort Reef 2
Exp
since 1990
Tam, had a caravan with a spongy floor so I cut the floor covering and bolted marine ply underneath filled on top of coach bolts heads and stuck the floor covering back job done 👍

Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
Years ago I looked into fixing a spongy floor on a motorhome. Eventually, I sold the motorhome with the defect listed.
I’m absolutely no expert on this, but I remember the technique I was looking at to fix the floor (which was plywood top and bottom with polystyrene in the middle) involved injecting epoxy resin between the top and bottom plywood layers to stabilise the floor. This involved substantially propping up the underside while the resin cured (so that the floor didn’t belly downwards), and drilling a lot of large-ish holes in the top ply to allow the resin to be poured in. Once filled, the top ply was held down with substantial weights to prevent it from bellying upwards while the resin cured. Any excess resin would seep up through the pour holes.
From memory, there was a recommended temperature range for doing this work, too.
Someone on here will be way more knowledgeable about the technique, I’m sure. 👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But many others on the forum won't know your and his humour so can be misconstrued.

Totally agree, we've changed when we needed to for one that met our requirements better rather than just for the sake of it.

To be honest though my mum and I shared graveside humour right up till the day she died , we actually joked about the fact I'd just changed vans and bought my caravan etc then we found out about her illness. .. and I said to her that her timing was impeccable.
I can imagine you and her having a good giggle about the timing! 😄
I'm making no promises that the n&b will be my last van, but I always knew this one wouldn't be.
Should we run a book on the new one? 🤔😄

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Years ago I looked into fixing a spongy floor on a motorhome. Eventually, I sold the motorhome with the defect listed.
I’m absolutely no expert on this, but I remember the technique I was looking at to fix the floor (which was plywood top and bottom with polystyrene in the middle) involved injecting epoxy resin between the top and bottom plywood layers to stabilise the floor. This involved substantially propping up the underside while the resin cured (so that the floor didn’t belly downwards), and drilling a lot of large-ish holes in the top ply to allow the resin to be poured in. Once filled, the top ply was held down with substantial weights to prevent it from bellying upwards while the resin cured. Any excess resin would seep up through the pour holes.
From memory, there was a recommended temperature range for doing this work, too.
Someone on here will be way more knowledgeable about the technique, I’m sure. 👍
Done exactly that withe two caravans. I used pourable epoxy in a syringe through multiple 6mm holes.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I tried the resin injection on a caravan we had when we helped out on a caravan site and what a disaster that turned out to be, the floor came up with a massive hump, ended up cutting floor out , shaving it back level and fitting battens 50/50 under edge of floor ply and putting new piece in and sold it quickly

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Finally caught up, amazing how much you miss in a few days.
Sure the 3 musketeers will soon have it fettled.
What other threesomes are/were there? Hewey, Dewey and Lewey, the Three Stooges, also Bill & Ben with Lubyloo! 😆

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think you're being very honourable doing all this work on behalf of Moby's new owner.

I think most would just sell on "as is"
Tam has stated a few times if he has any chance of getting back the money he has in Moby it needs fixing, nothing to do with being honourable.
Yeah it's not so much about being honorable as me wanting to get as much back for moby as I can. With all my other vans bar the white vario I've made a profit when selling them. The white vario I got back near enough what I'd physically spent on it but would never have got back the hours, weeks, months I spent working on it. With moby it owes me about £15.5k and I will have to spend a little more on it to get it to a condition I can sell it , if I was keeping it I'd have went a bit more to bring it up to a higher standard but I also don't want to bodge it, I want to fix it so it lasts a while and doesn't just break again . And then I'm hoping with a full mot and the bits I'm doing sorted that I'll get around £15k back for it. It's a far far better van than it was a year ago when I bought it. Its just finding someone that's appreciative of that. There's a lot of vans for sale out there just now. Many that may look better on the surface but will need a lot of money spent. Just doing all the electrics on this last year was over £2k

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back