MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (94 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
NIMBY’s…..😒
As I said before I hate people.

The sad thing is , I always said I loved Greece, I said it was my favourite country .

But like everything a few negative experiences.....well more than a few can change your whole outlook. I always miss Greece when I leave but this time I literally cannot wait to leave. I'm tired of it. These people are really bringing me down ...and for no reason

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Stick to Spain. If you pick the right spots, that is.

OK this isn't good for winter, but right now .... perfect.

20240626124504_IMG_9549~2.JPG
20240626124640_IMG_9552.JPG
20240626124429_IMG_9548.JPG

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Bloody hell Tam your putting me off going back now, thats if we ever get away again. Do you think its the fact the season has started so they don't want any rif raf hanging round :giggler: Not long to go now though Tam, keep calm and carry on 💪(y)
I've never been before in spring/summer time bar a few weeks package holidays to a few islands. I genuinely believe that it's getting this way in every country , Scotland is the same , the locals in the touristy areas have become all territorial, they don't want visitors or outsiders. The only people who want us there are businesses that directly benefit from us.

And it's getting worse since covid

In winter all these hotels , bars and most of the holiday homes are closed up for the winter . You very rarely see anyone unless you go in to the towns and to be honest that's how I prefer it. I hate false people, so waiters. Barmen , hotel staff etc all saying welcome welcome blah blah blah they don't welcome you only your wallet. If you're not giving them money they don't want to see you .

I don't feel I should have to put my hand in my pocket to every single bar, coffee shop , fruit seller etc etc to justify visiting someplace. Unfortunately that is the belief of many and I think it will just get worse. . The first 2 years I was fulltime I was in Spain and Portugal in the summer months and I remember it was also difficult to find quiet parkups. But I don't remember any locals actually behaving like these ones have.

The dogs do play a big part in it because only folk that like dogs behave normal ...the rest look at me like I'm nuts. They behave like the dogs were a herd of lions lol .

Visit in winter and you will love Greece. Visit in summer and you might find it hard. ...but if you've no dogs you won't need to find remote places like I do .

It really is too hot for me just now though we literally can't do anything other than Visit a beach . Can't even go for a walk as its too hot from 9am to 9pm .

Our walk last night was from 20.30 till 21.30 ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I had some good spots in Spain last winter , hopefully the same again this year.

I'm guessing you've escaped to the north where its cooler

Yes we're on the Embalse de Ebro at a place called Arija. We're here alone at the moment, much to our surprise.

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
It's really nice to see where you are situated when using the drone photographs. Gives much better perspective after seeing the ones taken with your phone. Great photos once again. Hope you find a peaceful parkup for a few days. Good luck

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's really nice to see where you are situated when using the drone photographs. Gives much better perspective after seeing the ones taken with your phone. Great photos once again. Hope you find a peaceful parkup for a few days. Good luck
Yes it's a nice little bay this but you can't really tell from photos on the ground so the drone does give a better idea. I'm probably only 20/30 miles from igoumenitsa now , there's a lot of locals visit this beach too ..but camping behaviour is apparently allowed so I might just stay here till Saturday morning , will see how it goes. The locals tend to stay around the middle of the bay so where we're parked is quieter . German couple in the van next to me are also fulltimers and also have a young pup same age as blu they've rescued here ... there are 5/6 strays too

This is where we are on the map ..
Screenshot_20240627_075332_park4night.jpg
Screenshot_20240627_075400_park4night.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Was having a chat with the German couple , this is their first time in Greece in summer too and they hate it 🤣🤣 normally they are in Greece over winter and Christmas time , they've had issues with locals with the dog too so it isn't just me after all. The guy is the spitting image of Kevin from the benidorm series. The old wife in the mobility scooters son in law .

Jul 30, 2019
Wirral Peninsula, Wirral, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 2018
So glad you've found a quiet place to stay (y) let's hope it lasts 🤞We too always holidayed in Greece our daughter called us boring but hubby always said I was like a young girl again as soon as the plane landed, I just felt chilled. We were actually on Thassos when he convinced me to buy a motorhome and promised he would drive me to Greece. We finally did the trip in 2022 where we bumped into Phil and Mena. People were lovely and the Peloponnese was wonderful but we did use official parkups and the odd site to celebrate hubby's 60th and to use the aircon as they were having a heatwave at the time :hot: Anyway won't bore you anymore, just glad your chilled :cool:(y) oh and no dog as he hates the van:cry:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So glad you've found a quiet place to stay (y) let's hope it lasts 🤞We too always holidayed in Greece our daughter called us boring but hubby always said I was like a young girl again as soon as the plane landed, I just felt chilled. We were actually on Thassos when he convinced me to buy a motorhome and promised he would drive me to Greece. We finally did the trip in 2022 where we bumped into Phil and Mena. People were lovely and the Peloponnese was wonderful but we did use official parkups and the odd site to celebrate hubby's 60th and to use the aircon as they were having a heatwave at the time :hot: Anyway won't bore you anymore, just glad your chilled :cool:(y) oh and no dog as he hates the van:cry:
Unfortunately it's not quiet the locals started arriving in their droves at 9am but we managed an hour or so in the water before it got to busy ... now retreated back to the van and sat outside. The beach now resembles Normandy with bodies lying everywhere. Even the bit round by the rocks has feckin kids fishing . It's just impossible to get anywhere with no people it seems. But the dogs are happy enough just now sunbathing by the van

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
It's amazing how people are so different, I hate being anywhere quiet in the van, I love just sitting under the awning with a nice cool drink watching all the comings & goings whether it's on a busy campsite/official Aires/parking or parked up off grid I always like being among people
But that's what makes it such a beautiful world,🌏
we're all so very different 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️🧝👱‍♀️👱‍♂️🏃🏃‍♀️🧑‍🤝‍🧑👭🤸🤸‍♀️

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oh dear :cry: and I suppose its going to be that way all weekend, dam :cry: just see how the day goes with the dogs then have a late swim when everyone has gone 🤞🤞
Yes I'll stay again tonight but will possibly leave tomorrow. The locals don't leave till sunset and arrive early. Lazy buggers spend the entire day on the beach

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's amazing how people are so different, I hate being anywhere quiet in the van, I love just sitting under the awning with a nice cool drink watching all the comings & goings whether it's on a busy campsite/official Aires/parking or parked up off grid I always like being among people
But that's what makes it such a beautiful world,🌏
we're all so very different 🙋‍♀️🙋‍♂️🧝👱‍♀️👱‍♂️🏃🏃‍♀️🧑‍🤝‍🧑👭🤸🤸‍♀️
That's my idea of hell Paul 🤣🤣

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes I'll stay again tonight but will possibly leave tomorrow. The locals don't leave till sunset and arrive early. Lazy buggers spend the entire day on the beach
That's got to be a joke :Eeek: ;)
I don't think you are as grumpy as you make out.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know Tam 🙂
I like social interactions with maybe 2 or 3 people at the most. I.never liked crowds etc. I'm uncomfortable in pubs. Restaurants and things when busy ..

I know I'm a weirdo lol. I'm not entirely anti social I just find it exhausting .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You are already there before they come and after they have gone.
I am yes but its when it's really hot that we want to swim lol. And preferably during daylight 🤣🤣 I go to bed around 11.30pm midnight , and I get up at 8am

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We disembark at Patras on 29th Aug so things should be quietening down around then, and we have no dog(s).

Tam your troubles with locals seemed to start when you got to the Ionian, islands and coast. I wonder if it is a regional thing?

I'm not sure as obviously the time of year has changed too. I was in peloponnese in May whereas its now June... from what I can gather on park4night reviews most of the beach bars etc dont open till late May...so I think they're holiday season runs from June to September. These are the months to avoid for me I think.

But for you as you say you've no dogs so it's different, there are still parkups available just not as many and definitely not as quiet. ..

There is a fair bit of anti tourism reporting in the press though although most of what I've seen was around Athens and on the islands where the mayor's have apparently being saying they want action on tourists.

Some places I can understand like santorini which apparently has only a few thousand residents but gets over a million visitors a year.

But I'm guessing their economy benefits immensely from that.

As I said before it's the same everywhere the businesses that directly benefit from tourists are happy to see them ...they get rich off them .

The everyday locals just see it as an invasion.... and I suppose it is . But that's life , and it will always happen . Unless you live somewhere boring and ugly that no one wants to visit.

Last edited:

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
I like social interactions with maybe 2 or 3 people at the most. I.never liked crowds etc. I'm uncomfortable in pubs. Restaurants and things when busy ..

I know I'm a weirdo lol. I'm not entirely anti social I just find it exhausting .
I know your definitely not anti social or a weirdo, remember our shopping trip in Morocco for your Jalaba & hoodie! :rofl:
20230211_131920.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back