MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No need for apologies..
As you say "Alpin" winter tyre (3peak/M+S),
"Cross Climate" all season (3peak/M+S)
"Camper" summer camper tyre (only M+S).

I’m probably going with crossclimate next time although they are a bit pricey compared to Hankooks the Agilis CP are crap grip😊

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I’m probably going with crossclimate next time although they are a bit pricey compared to Hankooks the Agilis CP are crap grip😊
Fully agree.. have Cross Climates on mine for 3 years.. absolutely no complaints with them. 👍👍👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Are you sure about the winter rating?
On the Michelin site it says they are marked M+S, suitable for mud and snow.
M+S rating won't cut it in Germany in Winter (and perhaps other Countries.) The tyres have to have the '3 peaks' symbol on the sidewall. I thought my post was fairly unambiguous, but clearly not...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
<Broken link removed>

I have fitted a set of Yokohama tyres have the 3 peaks symbol RY61 114/116 (suitable only for packed snow) and stated M&S , found them most suitable in all weather conditions, i believe they are a softer compound making walls reverently more flexible, but 10 ply rated so harder tread.

Winter tyres are made from a different compound to standard tyres - one that doesn’t harden in the cold. It remains flexible and grippy due to its higher proportion of natural rubber.

Mud & Snow tyres have specifically engineered rubber compounds and often more aggressive 'block style' tread patterns to increase performance in poor road conditions.

The three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol featured on some all-season and all-terrain tyres indicates that the tyre meets required performance criteria (acceleration traction only) in medium-packed snow testing. They are not a substitute where a dedicated winter tyre is needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
<Broken link removed>

I have fitted a set of Yokohama tyres have the 3 peaks symbol RY61 114/116 (suitable only for packed snow) and stated M&S , found them most suitable in all weather conditions, i believe they are a softer compound making walls reverently more flexible, but 10 ply rated so harder tread.

Winter tyres are made from a different compound to standard tyres - one that doesn’t harden in the cold. It remains flexible and grippy due to its higher proportion of natural rubber.

Mud & Snow tyres have specifically engineered rubber compounds and often more aggressive 'block style' tread patterns to increase performance in poor road conditions.

The three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) symbol featured on some all-season and all-terrain tyres indicates that the tyre meets required performance criteria (acceleration traction only) in medium-packed snow testing. They are not a substitute where a dedicated winter tyre is needed.
Opposite way around if I'm not mistaken....

10 ply 120 makes for stiff tyre walls and winter compound makes for a softer rubber for cold weather.....

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
M+S rating won't cut it in Germany in Winter (and perhaps other Countries.) The tyres have to have the '3 peaks' symbol on the sidewall. I thought my post was fairly unambiguous, but clearly not...
My original Agilis CP tyres which came with the van had NO M+S rating (see Michelin data sheet attached,) hence why I changed them after 4,500 miles (and sold them on here..)
As explained, I fitted Agilis Cross Climate tyres, which have the '3PMSF' symbol. (Michelin data sheet also attached.)
My original CP tyres were manufactured in 2020 (week 49, to be precise,) and I doubt (although happy to be corrected,) that earlier manufactured Agilis CP tyres would have been M+S rated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My original Agilis CP tyres which came with the van had NO M+S rating (see Michelin data sheet attached,) hence why I changed them after 4,500 miles (and sold them on here..)
As explained, I fitted Agilis Cross Climate tyres, which have the '3PMSF' symbol. (Michelin data sheet also attached.)
My original CP tyres were manufactured in 2020 (week 49, to be precise,) and I doubt (although happy to be corrected,) that earlier manufactured Agilis CP tyres would have been M+S rated.

Nothing to indicate the CP's aren't M&S rated.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I can only say after using mine in the snow in Scotland this week on the Motorhome and after using them on my S Max at home for 4 years, I think they are exceptional.

For a tyre to have the handling and ride they have in the summer and then perform as well as they do on ice and snow is mind boggling.

I am sure real winter tyres are better in snow and ice, but they are an amazing compromise.

All our Ambulances at work are now equipped with them all year round. Our fleet department are very good at being cost effective and they know their stuff. My own personal experience backs this up.

Edited to say I am on about Cross Climate. I didn’t make that clear.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I can only say after using mine in the snow in Scotland this week on the Motorhome and after using them on my S Max at home for 4 years, I think they are exceptional.

For a tyre to have the handling and ride they have in the summer and then perform as well as they do on ice and snow is mind boggling.

I am sure real winter tyres are better in snow and ice, but they are an amazing compromise.

All our Ambulances at work are now equipped with them all year round. Our fleet department are very good at being cost effective and they know their stuff. My own personal experience backs this up.
Can I please enquire to what tyre you are referring...guessing not Michelin Agilis camping if fitted to your ambulance fleet.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Nothing to indicate the CP's aren't M&S rated.
Well, using that (clearly flawed) logic, there's nothing to indicate that they're not 3PMSF rated either!!

To spell it out, (out of necessity, obviously) - if they (standard Agilis CP tyres) were M+S rated, it would be in the Michelin data sheet, and - more importantly - embossed on the sidewall of the tyre. Neither is the case.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Agree Lenny HB but I did not want to appear to disagree with WoldsSunlight. However I too am sure Michelin Agilis Campers are M+S rated.
The official data sheet from the manufacturer, and the lack of M+S being embossed on the tyre sidewall would suggest otherwise.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The 16" Michelin Agilis CP Tyres (225/75/16) that came as original fitment from the Fiat factory for our Late 2016 Globecar PVC were M&S embossed on the sidewall. They were not 3PMSF marked.

I now have Michelin Agilis Crossclimates fitted that are 3PMSF embossed. I'm happy with the Crossclimates

Aji

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
Well, using that (clearly flawed) logic, there's nothing to indicate that they're not 3PMSF rated either!!

To spell it out, (out of necessity, obviously) - if they (standard Agilis CP tyres) were M+S rated, it would be in the Michelin data sheet, and - more importantly - embossed on the sidewall of the tyre. Neither is the case.
Mine are embossed with M+S on the sidewall, zoom in on the photo,

Attachments

• 20210915_092903.jpg
    20210915_092903.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The official data sheet from the manufacturer, and the lack of M+S being embossed on the tyre sidewall would suggest otherwise.
Every Michelin CP type I've seen has the M&S marking, it's very small although they are M&S marked they are a summer tyre.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
So, that's me happily corrected then!
Moot point anyway, as I've now got Agilis Cross Climates fitted and have sold the Agilis CP tyres on. Don't think I'll be going back to CP tyres, as the Cross Climates seem to give a better ride.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I haven’t read the whole thread and I personally find cross climates great tyres, but I don’t know if anyones mentioned it but they are directional so in the event of a puncture there’s a 50% chance your spare (if it’s a cross climate) could be going around the wrong way, no great shakes if it’s only for a short period, but thought I’d mention it👍
Alternatively carry a non directional tyre for a spare👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I haven’t read the whole thread and I personally find cross climates great tyres, but I don’t know if anyones mentioned it but they are directional so in the event of a puncture there’s a 50% chance your spare (if it’s a cross climate) could be going around the wrong way, no great shakes if it’s only for a short period, but thought I’d mention it👍
Alternatively carry a non directional tyre for a spare👍
Thay is why I went for the Toyo Observe Van, they are one of the few winter tyres that are non directional.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Thay is why I went for the Toyo Observe Van, they are one of the few winter tyres that are non directional.
It was a factor in me trying the Firestone van hawk 2 winter tyres also, so far so good👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I’ve been searching tyre threads and haven’t seen this anywhere so apologies if its old news …..

At my last service the dealer spotted some, what can only be described as “depressions” in the tyre wall on our Michelin Agilis Camping tyres…they‘re not bulges as such, more shallow depressions running radially from the tyre tread towards the centre.
Got the same on the near side but only one depression ..

Spoke to a helpful chap at Michelin this morning and I’m going to let one of their tyre centres take a look .. but he also memotioned Agilis Camping tyres have now been discontinued … and their revised best guidance is now the Agilis Cross Climates… looks like the stiff sidewall and 80 psi experiment has been abandoned 👍

ECF660BA-F47F-45F8-988A-15AE18D7960A.jpeg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Agilis Camping tyres have now been discontinued … and their revised best guidance is now the Agilis Cross Climates… looks like the stiff sidewall and 80 psi experiment has been abandoned
We saw quite a few newer vans down on the continent this year and most had Cross Climates fitted they are good tyres at a price?😊

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks for that info update on Agilis Camping tyres, can I ask if the latest advice is to fit The Agilis Cross Climates then if not 79/80PSI what is the latest recommended inflation rate, especially on the rear axel running at 2250Kgs?
LES

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Thanks for that info update on Agilis Camping tyres, can I ask if the latest advice is to fit The Agilis Cross Climates then if not 79/80PSI what is the latest recommended inflation rate, especially on the rear axel running at 2250Kgs?
LES
i need to do some more research …. I listened carefully and the Michelin chap definitely confirmed that improved ride quality was one of the reasons they had switched to recommending the cross climates, but I didn’t ask him their recommended pressures.
He specifically mentioned improved winter performance, more comfortable ride and all round a better quality tyre (his words, not mine)….Mins you, at £275 per corner on Blackcircles, the Crossclimate Camping needs to be utterly amazing !

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
£275 a Corner! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
225x75, R16 I suppose, what load rating? 121 I hope at that price.
Be interesting to hear what Michelin say the tyre pressures should be, hope its lower that 79/80 PSI.
I think I may be tempted by another make of tyre net time, the new Carthago's at the dealership had Conti Vanco when I last looked, even on the tag axels.
Good luck.
LES

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
£275 a Corner! :eek::eek::eek::eek:
225x75, R16 I suppose, what load rating? 121 I hope at that price.
Be interesting to hear what Michelin say the tyre pressures should be, hope its lower that 79/80 PSI.
I think I may be tempted by another make of tyre net time, the new Carthago's at the dealership had Conti Vanco when I last looked, even on the tag axels.
Good luck.
LES
Only 116 and 118… must admit, I am not thinking Michelin for next set either … I got a bit carried away with price - £253 and £257 - still steep b7t not quite £275

33AB05CB-197C-45BB-BB5E-128037E8D1FE.jpeg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Had Cross climate on our van for 4 years, no problems with the snow here in Spain...🤔👍🇪🇦

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back