ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
What do you want to do on a laptop that a chromebook can`t do ?
They do have limitations, but I changed to a chromebook and find it ok, but I find I still need my old laptop for some things, which is annoying.
Depends on what you want to do ?

Hi fig,, It’s not that I want to do anything special,, I like a bigger screen mate ,,,also I don’t know how to use it,, it’s not the same as a laptop, I havnt even got an on off icon, it’s just to techie for me!!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Screen size should be ok unless you bought a tiddler.
The chrome operating system is more like an Android phone than Windows laptop.
They are good if it's mostly web browsing you do. It's just when you get to documents things start get complicated.
The chrome system is more secure than Windows apparently.
Might be worth persevering with it ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning,,,

not a bad day outside, just put me bins out!
( mans work) lol

well weather permitting I'm working tomorrow , fingers crossed,, really looking forward to it, strangely enough, who’s have thought laying bricks would be as much anticipated ?

I shall take some pics and post tomorrow after work, as to how I’m getting on,, working on my own, knocking up and laying,, out the front of the house,, own kettle, supplies etc all ready to go!

I also bought a new laser level from amazon, which will be delivered today,, only a cheap one, but more than good enough for the work I’m doing,( providing it’s set up properly)

ok, so a beef roast for me today, I’m hungry!

chat later, xxxxxx

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
What is wrong with a hosepipe full of water ? Battery never goes flat .

well that always works, but it’s messy, awkward if you’ve got no space! Besides that it always leaks all over the place! Lol.

I might not get on with tech very well, but even I can use a laser level!! Lol.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Ian, I bought a new laser level set a couple of weeks ago as I needed the little tripod for a second hand Pentax dumpy level that I had just bought, for doing my drains. Haven’t tried the laser level yet (the tripod was ideal) but have read up that they are not easy to use outside in bright daylight. Only paid £18 including delivery for it so not a lot if it doesn’t get used.
Is the job that you are starting on tomorrow all part of the big job that you were on when the lockdown started, or is a new client?
Stay safe, David.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Me and Mrs mikebeaches both like Chromebooks.

No need to worry about ant-virus protection - not required.

They're cheap, lightweight, touchscreen, do what we want and sync well with our Android phones! (y)

Yes, they're slightly different to use compared to a standard laptop, but very intuitive. :giggle:

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Ian, I bought a new laser level set a couple of weeks ago as I needed the little tripod for a second hand Pentax dumpy level that I had just bought, for doing my drains. Haven’t tried the laser level yet (the tripod was ideal) but have read up that they are not easy to use outside in bright daylight. Only paid £18 including delivery for it so not a lot if it doesn’t get used.
Is the job that you are starting on tomorrow all part of the big job that you were on when the lockdown started, or is a new client?
Stay safe, David.

hi David,,, this job is a big garden wall mate, nothing to do with the builder that I’ve done bits for, customer rang me last year, well before Xmas and it’s now that it’s come to fruition!! ( what a great word,, fruition) lol. Xx

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Well I’m off !! Wooopieee something to get up for, and something to do!

I reckon my fingers will be bleeding by ten, they’ve gone as soft as a baby’s bum!!

I shall update this evening,, so I shall see you then! Have a great day! Xxxx
Have a good day and look after your back.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good evening,, well I had a lovely day,,
Got to work about 7.15, half hour drive, put kettle on, made a brew, set out the walls,, and found out that the laser level I bought from amazon for £44 is a piece of shiiiiiite,,
Can’t see the laser from 3 feet away let alone 15 mtrs as advertised! Unless your in a pitch black corridor I suppose,, load of bo,,,,,,, s. Anyway,,,,

I decided to split the wall into 3 lengths, and put expansion in between,, so I started on the lower length, around 1800 cm high, 9 in with piers, and I put a basketweave pattern in a frame, because it breaks up the size it’s going to be,,same in the other two but obviously bigger patterns as the walls get higher towards the house, some 2.7 mts at the far end!

anyway, the weather was lovely and I plodded on till about 4, cleaned up mixer etc,,, it was great to be back at work, customer is well pleased, so I’m happy!!

D0BC9969-BBF7-46CC-8E1E-705A047CB86C.jpeg5EA4E158-1624-4303-8DBD-70F66E259922.jpeg27A09E04-15C4-49B2-BA75-8A346EF15C50.jpeg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good evening,, well I had a lovely day,,
Got to work about 7.15, half hour drive, put kettle on, made a brew, set out the walls,, and found out that the laser level I bought from amazon for £44 is a piece of shiiiiiite,,
Can’t see the laser from 3 feet away let alone 15 mtrs as advertised! Unless your in a pitch black corridor I suppose,, load of bo,,,,,,, s. Anyway,,,,

I decided to split the wall into 3 lengths, and put expansion in between,, so I started on the lower length, around 1800 cm high, 9 in with piers, and I put a basketweave pattern in a frame, because it breaks up the size it’s going to be,,same in the other two but obviously bigger patterns as the walls get higher towards the house, some 2.7 mts at the far end!

anyway, the weather was lovely and I plodded on till about 4, cleaned up mixer etc,,, it was great to be back at work, customer is well pleased, so I’m happy!!

View attachment 384927View attachment 384928View attachment 384929

First photo Ian what a beautiful looking old brick wall that is, I love looking at them, built with lime mortar , I have seen some riverbanks built like this and the wall is bone dry immediately above the water line.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Looks great Ian but I got to ask what was wrong with the old wall.

the old wall mikey,belongs to the pub next door, and is in a really bad state of repair,, but the real reason he wants a new one, is to try to diflect some of the noise from the pub garden etc,, that’s why he wants it around 2.8 mtrs high at the garage end!

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Quality brickwork Ian. You have confirmed what I had read about the laser level. Glad I got the dumpy level, no problem in using in daylight.
David.

Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Quality brickwork Ian. You have confirmed what I had read about the laser level. Glad I got the dumpy level, no problem in using in daylight.
David.

Same as you, I bought a new dumpy because you can always use it in daylight.
Did look at a rotating laser level with a receiver on the staff, which was about a £100 more expensive on the basis that I could have used it single handed. But in the end I decided that the dumpy was the better bet - no batteries or eye protection needed and I can always lean the staff against the digger bucket or shovel if working alone!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back