Finally the days of over priced motorhomes is over (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Also if they stop accepting the European C of C it will be a lot more hassle and getting insurance on the VIN is getting more difficult.
I've ordered LHD and German mains sockets, 13amp UK mains sockets are a pain in the butt in a van. I will be using mains a lot more as I will kit it out with Lithium & a decent size inverter.
What's wrong with UK sockets Lenny?

Canucks

Free Member
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice
I recently talked to a dealer and he said that delivery times for new orders is 2 years.
Yes we had the same type of conversation with a local Adria dealer and no price guarantee or lock in, but we could get the deposit back if the delivery price was unacceptable. In this this scenario I don't imagine prices falling greatly.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All those vans one sees parked up in Euroland are probably waiting for a chip to be delivered.
At dealers?? Dozens of dealers??
Also if their net profit is 7.5% what scope is there for significant price reductions
Unless you can see the full accounts anything disclosed could have come out of thin air.
n the Fiat site yesterday and priced up a fairly basic panel van.
LWB, Maxi chassis the only extras I added were 180 engine, auto box, climate control, cruise & traction plus - How Much £59k.
But is that because they can sell at that ? What is the cost to Build(CTB) ? what is the factory gate dealer price? Are there any wholly owned companies supplying to the manufacturer? Years ago the fgdp was 3x the CTB

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yep Lennys right, the prices of new or second hand mohos are still generally high for most people, as are the new prices for electric cars. (30k plus)
we havent got enough in our ‘cost to change’ bank to change if you see what I mean, so we are simply going to a top quality converter and get them to do some nice little swanky bits we’ve planned for our existing pvc , that we know and love,
Exactly what I did earlier this year after finding the cost to change too high for me at the moment. Spent a few ££££ on my existing van instead. With all that’s changed with finance generally since, I’m even more glad I made the choice I did. I may not have my ‘absolutely perfect van’ but it still gets me out and about doing what I want to do and has all I need on board. 🙂 My only reason to change would be for slightly more space, especially in the height department! I’m getting older now for messing about with pop tops and roof wraps. 🤣

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Was for us to but no choice to get what we wanted but trade in was far higher than expected and price & trade in price fixed even though delivery is a year away.
Who are you buying it from?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I ordered a van with a guaranteed price for my part exchange which I could use as long as necessary, a fixed price for the new one, again irrespective of anything, and a guaranteed return of my deposit should everything go tits up!

So there are some 1st class dealers out there, should people wish to use them!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Happy days, we do the same, last change of our Ford Kuga produced an unbelievable 11k of equity. Never happened before!

You made a £11k profit on a Ford?

Or are you saying that the car retained a value of £11k?

Neither are equity. 🤔

Ian

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Even doing a van conversion is not cheap now with the way base vehicle prices have gone up.
I had a look on the Fiat site yesterday and priced up a fairly basic panel van.
LWB, Maxi chassis the only extras I added were 180 engine, auto box, climate control, cruise & traction plus - How Much £59k. I could have easily added over £5k more in options.
Try the same exercise with a Transit electric as a base vehicle…. Phew.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
Exactly what I did earlier this year after finding the cost to change too high for me at the moment. Spent a few ££££ on my existing van instead. With all that’s changed with finance generally since, I’m even more glad I made the choice I did. I may not have my ‘absolutely perfect van’ but it still gets me out and about doing what I want to do and has all I need on board. 🙂 My only reason to change would be for slightly more space, especially in the height department! I’m getting older now for messing about with pop tops and roof wraps. 🤣
That sounds like a very good idea. Now if I could make my 6m PVC 30/40cm cm longer I'd do the same! Want to move from a transverse bed at the back to singles. Sometimes wish I was about 5 feet tall.

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
Just came back from a month in Brittany and all the dealers over there seemed to have a yard full of stock. Just saying....
Most of them will be sold but the dealers are keeping them until they get new stock. If they let them go, the yards would be empty with nothing to show to new customers.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Neither are equity. 🤔

Ian
I suspect he meant at the end of a PCP it was worth more than the guaranteed final value. Although still probably pretty expensive motoring and of course there's the question of whether the replacement cost had gone up.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I suspect he meant at the end of a PCP it was worth more than the guaranteed final value. Although still probably pretty expensive motoring and of course there's the question of whether the replacement cost had gone up.

£11k more? 🤷‍♂️

Ian

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
The current, dire exchange rate is the main factor making buying abroad less attractive.
We bought our first Hymer new, in Germany, when the exchange rate was 1.43. It save us almost £20,000 compared to TW prices.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
£11k more? 🤷‍♂️

Ian
Or just 11k total who knows!. When they tried to sell me PCP if you say that the guaranteed value is low they say thats an advantage as you could buy it cheap at the end of the 3 years if you say it looks high they say that's good because it's a guaranteed final amount. I wonder what they say is bad.......... I suspect not getting the comission on the finance!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years

Neither are equity. 🤔

Ian
Call it what you will, we buy our cars through main dealer pcp finance. Every three years or so we order a new one. The last one was valued by the dealer @14k, at the time, when the new one arrived we had a settlement of 11k. We sold it with a Company called Motorway.co.uk last September for £21995.
From that sum we chucked in a bit larger deposit than normal against the new car and the balance went in the saving pot for a newer van. Now acquired. :giggle:

wp1234

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
There’s no such thing as a “Bottom end Carthago” 🤷‍♂️:rofl:🤣🤣
I’ve got a friend that would really disagree …. He is actually livid with Cart have a go … bought a new Mercedes’ version recently and has spent most of his ownership fixing faults .

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
.... more space, especially in the height department! I’m getting older now for messing about with pop tops and roof wraps. 🤣
We get shorter as we age so you'll grow into it.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Went down to Somerset MH Dealer last year for van service & MOT, yard was full of new vans, new Carthago's, Malibu's, Adria's and I didnt even take into account PVC's. I think there were a few Adria Twins.
Went down last week, for the same Service, MOT, But Cambelt also, plenty of time to have a good look round I thought(y)
No not this time, only 1 S/H tag axel Carthago, no Adrias, no Malibu's, but loads of New Autotrail Coachbuilts, but the most notable thing was they were all on Ford Transit Chassis, not Fiat.
3 uniformed, Sales guys sat in reception trying to look busy, I felt sorry for them TBH, felt like it was a longer day for them than me just sat there drinking coffee in reception, or wandering arround the accessory shop.
PS: A New Carthago Chic C line 4.9 (single Beds in rear, plus dropdown at front) 7.3 mtr was £103,000 OTR, when we first looked 4 years ago, now over £150,000 and as mentioned you will have to wait a long time for a new one. They have had 5 year old ones in stock on their website and were asking over £100K for them.o_O They also had the Crapmatic Gear box, so that would have stopped me buying anyways.
LES

Last edited:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Went down to Somerset MH Dealer last year for van service & MOT, yard was full of new vans, new Carthago's, Malibu's, Adria's and I didnt even take into account PVC's. I think there were a few Adria Twins.
Went down last week, for the same Service, MOT, But Cambelt also, plenty of time to have a good look round I thought(y)
No not this time, only 1 S/H tag axel Carthago, no Adrias, no Malibu's, but loads of New Autotrail Coachbuilts, but the most notable thing was they were all on Ford Transit Chassis, not Fiat.
3 uniformed, Sales guys sat in reception trying to look busy, I felt sorry for them TBH, felt like it was a longer day for them than me just sat there drinking coffee in reception, or wandering arround the accessory shop.
PS: A New Carthago Chic C line 4.9 (single Beds in rear, plus dropdown at front) 7.3 mtr was £103,000 OTR, when we first looked 4 years ago, now over £150,000 and as mentioned you will have to wait a long time for a new one. They have had 5 year old ones in stock on their website and were asking over £100K for them.o_O They also had the Crapmatic Gear box, so that would have stopped me buying anyways.
LES
5 year old chic c line over £100k 😳😳😳 can you imagine that Jackd
What about if you had loads of extra goodies fitted?? 🤭😊😊😊

Sep 28, 2021
Worcester, UK
Funster No
MH
LMC premium I650G
Exp
35y tugging + 2 in Motorhome
At the end of the day the price of second hand vans will be down to the price of new vans, the price of new vans will not come down they may add a few extras to tempt you but that’s it, the dealer for second hand vans will want a return on his p/x of cash buy, he’ll be happy for it to sit there till it sells it, I remember visiting a dealer a few years ago before the madness and find the the same stock he had 3months previous, they will now have have the ability to buy Motorhomes from the private market a bit cheaper.

SalopEddie

Free Member
Oct 1, 2022
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
looking to purchase
What are you after? I may be able to help.
Have created myself a shortlist of vehicles that i am hoping to see at NEC. Decent engine, automatic a must , fixed beds that can accomodate 6ft 1inch fully streched out. Power at bed with shelf for cpap/oxygen machine. Shower that my height and build can get in and out. Decent cooking and worksurface. Spare payload for bike rack and two bikes as well as normal stuff. Sufficient ground clearance so skirts and undercarriage dont get damaged (used to happen with our horse lorry). 2 berth min for fixed . Room for 4 or 5 people to relax and chat inside. I had a good look at a voyager 584 on sunday that ticked most boxes. Even lay flat out on the bed and it was ok. I though lead times would be next year but the sales team have a couple more arriving in december. Will make decision after NEC. Interestingly i also saw a Hymer sunday with merc engine , in really good condition , that ticked all boxes except it was manual. It was 1 year old and 83k. Googled new price 105k. Seemed a huge drop in value after only 12 months.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Have created myself a shortlist of vehicles that i am hoping to see at NEC. Decent engine, automatic a must , fixed beds that can accomodate 6ft 1inch fully streched out. Power at bed with shelf for cpap/oxygen machine. Shower that my height and build can get in and out. Decent cooking and worksurface. Spare payload for bike rack and two bikes as well as normal stuff. Sufficient ground clearance so skirts and undercarriage dont get damaged (used to happen with our horse lorry). 2 berth min for fixed . Room for 4 or 5 people to relax and chat inside. I had a good look at a voyager 584 on sunday that ticked most boxes. Even lay flat out on the bed and it was ok. I though lead times would be next year but the sales team have a couple more arriving in december. Will make decision after NEC. Interestingly i also saw a Hymer sunday with merc engine , in really good condition , that ticked all boxes except it was manual. It was 1 year old and 83k. Googled new price 105k. Seemed a huge drop in value after only 12 months.
How much was it new 12 months ago, that would be the indicator of how much it has lost in value.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
49EA4ADE-AAD1-460F-ABEC-F6E8E879F776.jpeg

I have a Voyager 584 looking for a new home and I must admit it’s a very pretty van.
They are also really good value for money considering Elddis are now £80k plus for certain models!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back