Finally the days of over priced motorhomes is over (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Monty don
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I recently talked to a dealer and he said that delivery times for new orders is 2 years.
It will change very quickly

If you just see what's happening now and cant see what's coming then I guess that's head in the sands

Plus never trust what a salesman says. Thats just nieve

Only my opinion of course

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I saw an example on the news yesterday that said an £850 a month mortgage could rise to £1400 if interest rates hit the predicted 6%
They should only be lending money that is actually there's not borrowed from someone else. That way the rate would be fixed
but what happens when diesel is outlawed.
Stock up well in advance.
Just came back from a month in Brittany and all the dealers over there seemed to have a yard full of stock. Just saying....
Always like it everywhere in france , Knee deep in them all the way from spain last june same on the way back.
I am amazed at the prices of new ordinary vans, let alone motorhome types.
Phil
Tell me about it .I can't believe prices for cars or vans . Even worse was the 68k +vat for empty electric tat & not even a make well known??

The Van Man

Free Member
Sep 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Why would you order something that far away? I'd expect to have died in that time?
Well I didn't, I was just curious. He couldn't even quote me a price, since it might be so different when the car is finally made. My point being that at least for now the demand is very high compared to supply.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Always seems to be plenty of experts around telling people what’s going to happen.
Was building 3 houses at the start of Covid and all the experts were saying housing crash including an estate agent I know who’s been in the hame for 50+ years.
Best offload cheap while you can he said!!
Few months later they could not get enough houses and the prices were going up.
If I had of panicked and took his advice I would have been a few hundred £k down☹️☹️

Tend not to take any notice of so called experts now …

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Always seems to be plenty of experts around telling people what’s going to happen.
Was building 3 houses at the start of Covid and all the experts were saying housing crash including an estate agent I know who’s been in the hame for 50+ years.
Best offload cheap while you can he said!!
Few months later they could not get enough houses and the prices were going up.
If I had of panicked and took his advice I would have been a few hundred £k down☹️☹️

Tend not to take any notice of so called experts now …
Are you now living in your van 🤣🤣 well done for not listenin, it’s the news according to the reporter not to reality☹️

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I went to the dealer I got my 2003 swift off 6 years ago, I was there to look at a van for someone else, he offered to value mine so I thought why not while I'm here....he offered me more than I paid for it and he will then chuck a chunk on for resale 🤷‍♂️
My mate finally got his van this year after a long wait and went back to dealer last week to get a new toilet door handle fitted, dealer wanted to buy it back for a lot more than he paid.
Not seen any fall in demand or price around here

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Looking across the whole of the U.K. at both new and pre loved motorhomes, there's zero evidence to indicate any type of price drop.

For new models the cost of specific appliances, plywood sheets, upholstery & factory fitted optional accessories has remained largely stagnant, it's the outlay for the base vehicle which has hugely increased.

A Ducato 140ps AT9 skeletal chassis will set you back in excess of £48,500k + VAT... yes, nearly £60k all in. Same goes for the Transit 130ps AT6 wide track moho specific chassis in Trend spec. They're no different in price to a panel van, in fact unit for unit they're more expensive due to the down time for construction alterations needed on the production line.

The coachbuilder may claim the VAT and receive a discount on bulk orders but the cost will still be well over £40k even before the shipping & homologation (average £28k) which is all passed onto the end user.

A successful company or group then needs to make a profit.

Consider Trigano, probably the largest coachbuilder. Here in the U.K. alone they own Auto Sleeper, Marquis & Auto Trail. In Europe the list is as long as your arm. They saw a near 35% sales increase in 2021 giving them a £3 billon turnover - very nice for them - but even then profit was down from 7.8% to 7.5%.

EHG figures were similar - 23% increase, £2.7B turnover 8% profit.

Collectively supermarkets do that every week.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I always thought Caravans were a lot cheaper than MoHo’s I priced this Eriba up yesterday with options and it came in at over £100k https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/caravan-models/eriba-touring_820
When I was at our Belgium dealer a couple of weeks ago wasting time while the damp check was being done I looked around some caravans due to the lack of Motorhomes. I was surprised at the prices most around €25 - €35k and one Eriba over 50k.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
When I was at our Belgium dealer a couple of weeks ago wasting time while the damp check was being done I looked around some caravans due to the lack of Motorhomes. I was surprised at the prices most around €25 - €35k and one Eriba over 50k.
Indeed they have all gone up in value have to say that the Eriba 850 is a beast and rather smart it’s like a High end Hymer without the engine and transmission

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Parts are also still going up - have a drawer which is warped and got a price in 2021 for £34 to replace - now it’s over £90 for the same.

Staying with a warped drawer for the time being.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Well i wont be buying one as my house isnt selling as soon as it was sold i was getting another van but ive only had two viewers in a fortnight😟
i think ive missed the boat🙁

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Prices are going to stay high for at least another couple of years. Its not that dealers are full of stock now, its the fact we can actually get some of the part exchanges through!
Supply issues are still horrific, new vehicles will be a problem for another couple of years. I am cherry picking what stands to put sales people on at the NEC as some models I cant get until the 2025 season!

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Screenshot_20220929_125223_Samsung Internet.jpg

Preferably not like the taxi driver in Preston who bought bulk diesel when the 2000 fuel strikes were on.

Stored it in wheelie bins in the entry of his terraced house , they melted and hundreds of litres ran down the street contaminating the houses as it went.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
There are a lot of us waiting for new motorhomes at prices fixed 6-12 months ago.Although I'm no nearer being given a delivery date and have been considering a good 2nd hand vehicle There are none without having to make compromises I really don't want to make and/or having to pay the same or more than the new vehicle. So take me and probably many others out of the equation reduces demand considerably.Anyone new to the hobby will see their 1st m/h as a discretionary purchase so I can see demand dropping quick and fast especially moving into winter.

Last edited:

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Hopefully people will still buy nice new vans, someone paid a lot of money for our 11 plate Autotrail once!! We paid what we are happy with for it after the first two owners decided to sell it.
And this old girl just passed her MOT with no advisories, failed last year on handbrake adjustment needed. Year before passed no advisories too :dance2::dance2::dance2::Grin::Grin::Grin:

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
The fact there's such a long wait suggests that others are buying
Still a large number to be delivered for orders placed many months ago I've been waiting a year.Be interesting to see the number of new orders placed at the NEC

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The best quality vans like Morelo, Carthago, N & B tend to be built to order and are produced in lower quantities than the mass produced AutoTrails, Swifts etc. Luckily there are buyers of these quality vans who make mistakes and find they don’t like motorhoming!

I’d rather a s/h quality van than like an AutoFail! Been there and done that, never again!

I could not afford a new one like mine!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
They are bound to go down at some point,they will be undrivable with all the green regulations coming in and the cost of fuel and sites, I know it's still about ten years away but what happens when diesel is outlawed.
Bound to be a slide starting soon.
Use Bio Diesel (Cooking Oil) or convert to Hydrogen

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Still a large number to be delivered for orders placed many months ago I've been waiting a year.Be interesting to see the number of new orders placed at the NEC
It will also be interesting to see how many orders may be cancelled (or not) with the prevailing financial winds.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
No one knows what will happen tomorrow, but it seems inevitable that diesel motors are doomed whatever happens and at some point they are all going to be worthless together no matter how much they cost today.
Don't think they will be banned in Russia they have lots of diesel!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Don't think they will be banned in Russia they have lots of diesel!
TBH I can't see it happening in the USA either. They are more than self-sufficient in oil. It's too huge an employer, industry, financier to the political parties and policy influencer (and a personal gravy train for some politicians).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's not a matter of how much fuel there is it's a matter of being able to use it.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Wishful thinking on behalf of the op in my view. Our company runs Ford transits for our technicians. The last order for a new one was placed in September 2021, still no build date!
Now we are a very small company with zero clout and we will have to wait. I can’t imagine the big boys like Amazon, Dpd and Openreach will accept long delays. Fiat have apparently already prioritised important fleet customers with supply contracts. I really don’t see the situation changing anytime soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back