Finally the days of over priced motorhomes is over (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Not much sign of people splashing out locally. My motohome is 13 years old, and checking around our storage site there was only one newer than mine. That was 4 years old.
The old ones seem to be better built and generally more reliable as all the emissions control electronic gubbins in new ones seems to lead to breakdowns that couldn't even happen in an old one.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not much sign of people splashing out locally. My motohome is 13 years old, and checking around our storage site there was only one newer than mine. That was 4 years old.
The old ones seem to be better built and generally more reliable as all the emissions control electronic gubbins in new ones seems to lead to breakdowns that couldn't even happen in an old one.
The fact there's such a long wait suggests that others are buying

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They are bound to go down at some point,they will be undrivable with all the green regulations coming in and the cost of fuel and sites, I know it's still about ten years away but what happens when diesel is outlawed.
Bound to be a slide starting soon.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is this the same Lenny who thinks the proposed £10 a night by the NT is too much?? :rofl:
As I've said many times the van comes out of life savings that we have worked hard for. Using comes out of our pensions which aren't very big.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I was talking to the guys at CamperUK this week. They sold 17 vans over the weekend,dont think the bubble has burst just yet.
They sold there full allowance for 2023 of the Carthago CompactLine at Caravan Salon so did Go European. That's the smallest and cheapest A Class which starts at over 100k before you add at least 10k of extras which it's not really useable without.

The Bailey Autograph 89-6 has gone from 64k to 89k, only has a 165hp engine & manual gearbox at least the Carthago has the 180hp engine & 9 speed auto box as standard looks cheap compared to the Bailey.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On the other hand there is no need to spend anything like the figures being quoted here to buy a motorhome.
Isn't that the same with anything. You can buy a perfectly usable car pretty cheaply or spend a fortune. I don't think anyone is saying that you have to have a very expensive new motorhome just that some do.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Isn't that the same with anything. You can buy a perfectly usable car pretty cheaply or spend a fortune. I don't think anyone is saying that you have to have a very expensive new motorhome just that some do.
No my point was even if they go down you won't be losing so much money on something that will do just the same job.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
At this time, with the people who are in power and with the events that are happening around the world, I am surprised that there are still some folk who think they know what will happen in the future.

JJ :cool:
Maybe they're just hoping the big red button isn't going to be used or they might as well worry about everything else as if it does they won't be around to worry about the other stuff

Mary-Lou

Free Member
Sep 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA615
I think you're right - it's the same in the marine industry!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
At this time, with the people who are in power and with the events that are happening around the world, I am surprised that there are still some folk who think they know what will happen in the future.

JJ :cool:
No one knows what will happen tomorrow, but it seems inevitable that diesel motors are doomed whatever happens and at some point they are all going to be worthless together no matter how much they cost today.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No one knows what will happen tomorrow, but it seems inevitable that diesel motors are doomed whatever happens and at some point they are all going to be worthless together no matter how much they cost today.
But it's always been the case that most vehicles will be worthless in the end. I think the past few years of zero depreciation were unusual.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Unless the business of patching electric/hydrogen or whatever is the favourite at the time takes off and then a lot will just be re engineered and live on, either way it won't worry me ;)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well it had to happen

Its started

Prices are dropping and some stuff isn't selling

Dealers stocks are getting bigger

And its only just the start

Time to keep the powder dry and grab a cheap MH next winter

I think the wait will be worth it
It’s a knock on effect the old part exchange will be worth less! So unless you are a first time buyer, not a lot different.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Unless the business of patching electric/hydrogen or whatever is the favourite at the time takes off and then a lot will just be re engineered and live on, either way it won't worry me ;)
It certainly isn't worrying me, I'm buying any diesel machine that comes my way, but I'm afraid it's going to come.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We just had a random email from well known Hymer dealer asking if we wanted to sell our Moho back to them ( why? And no we don’t and wouldnt use them again anyway!) thought they might be low on stock but they seem to have dozens of used and a few new - so we thought prices were still going up and lots of trade ongoing….
Now worried there is Something Going On and an underground plot for the wealthy to head for the hills in face of the ongoing disasters around us😳

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We just had a random email from well known Hymer dealer asking if we wanted to sell our Moho back to them ( why? And no we don’t and wouldnt use them again anyway!) thought they might be low on stock but they seem to have dozens of used and a few new - so we thought prices were still going up and lots of trade ongoing….
Now worried there is Something Going On and an underground plot for the wealthy to head for the hills in face of the ongoing disasters around us😳
B544's have always been very popular in the UK and have not been made for quite a few years so they probably though they could make a quick buck on it.

OP
OP
Monty don
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
Amazing how many people have there head in the sand

Half the problem really