Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Current U.K. law on up plating has been changed WITHOUT consultation.

When up plating from 3500kg RFL will continue to be £365 pa. IT IS NOT being reduced to the PHG rate of £165.

Secondly, the DVLA are no longer changing the V5c to illustrate your new weight. The MTPLM will remain at 3500kg. This means that if your motorhome is detected on road installed Weight In Motion Sensors - WIMS, you WILL be classed as overweight. Currently there is no plan to prosecute although you will receive a letter advising you of weight limits etc.

This legislation is causing a great deal of harm to companies such as SvTech who are currently in constant communication with HMG and it is fully expected to be escalated and discussed on the floor in the House of Commons.

However, one of the reasons why in the short term this is in force is due to the EU's 4th directive and once in place will mean that RFL will illustrate the new entry weight limit. Vans & Moho's will need to be over 4250kg in order to qualify for the reduced RFL.

The Fourth Directive...

The EU will ratify this and it will be in force from January 2025. This means that drivers with post 1997 licences can drive upto 4250kg whether EV or ICE powered. Licences will become digital and some medicals will be self assessment.

Current information from Downing Street strongly suggests that the U.K.'s original stance was to also adopt this following an announcement during the March 2025 budget. The U.K. has historically adopted the first 3 directives and will also adopt No4.

There is now however a strong suggestion that this will be announced during the late October budget and will be in place for newly registered motohomes from March 1st.

This is of course still to be confirmed.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
This is going to sound weird to some of you, but I am not that interested in the Road Tax aspect. We are already being robbed, so a little more doesn't bother me.

My chief interest is that my bus is a 3500 chassis, but we upped the tyres to 225 and installed semi air on the rear axle, which is all that is needed to up-plate to 3850.
The only thing that is stopping me doing it, is that Mrs DDJC has a 1999 licence so hasn't C1. Currently we can both drive it, if up-plated, its only me.

So for me, the more interesting things by far is:

that the Germans are increasing their Cat B MTPM weight from 3500 to 4250, and that the EU is likely to follow suit? (And how out of step would the UK look, if they stubbornly didn't do the same?)
and
what the logic is of NOT updating the V5 where there is an up-plated MTPM? Without a new V5, Monsieur le Gendarme or Signor agente di polizia, is still gonna slap a fine on you, or make you offload your vintage anvil collection, or both.
We’re in a similar position, but yet to order the rear semi air and new front coils to get to 4000. Fingers crossed… 🤞

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We’re in a similar position, but yet to order the rear semi air and new front coils to get to 4000. Fingers crossed… 🤞

I would say get the suspension now. The difference in stability on the road, was, for us, literally amazing.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
This is going to sound weird to some of you, but I am not that interested in the Road Tax aspect. We are already being robbed, so a little more doesn't bother me.
I agree. If I can afford to run a motorhome I can afford an increase in RFL.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
I agree. If I can afford to run a motorhome I can afford an increase in RFL.
Speak for yourself . I pay £165 I would never buy a motorhome under 3500kg and pay over £300 a year roadtax. Especially as I spend 6 months outwith the UK and still pay tax.

So if they change my ved...like the TV licence I'll no be paying it.

There'll be a "tax in post " disc on the feckin windie

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When up plating from 3500kg RFL will continue to be £365 pa. IT IS NOT being reduced to the PHG rate of £165.
Can you please put a link to any official documentation regarding this as I cannot find a thing about it anywhere.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
All very confusing.
To allow B licence holders to drive anything below 4250kg won't all vehicles below that weight be classified as PLG?

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Can you please put a link to any official documentation regarding this as I cannot find a thing about it anywhere.
Post no 102 is a message from DVLA with some weasel words about it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Speak for yourself . I pay £165 I would never buy a motorhome under 3500kg and pay over £300 a year roadtax. Especially as I spend 6 months outwith the UK and still pay tax.

Problem is then I don't think your insurance is valid?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Problem is then I don't think your insurance is valid?
Ah the old invalid insurance argument again.... why don't you think it is valid..
Just noticed another poster mentioning stitch up in #161 but I can't see it so quessing I am on ignore....

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Ah the old invalid insurance argument again.... why don't you think it is valid..
Just noticed another poster mentioning stitch up in #161 but I can't see it so quessing I am on ignore....
I belive that for insurance to be valid the vehicle has to be road worthy and taxed etc. Even when abroad you still have to be taxed and have MOT (if needed) for insurance to be valid. I may be wrong but can't be asked to read small print and certainly wouldn't take chance.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

Hopefully your van wouldn't fit in the crusher with the other untaxed vehicles?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Not just that you are likely to get a pretty big fine

I stupidly missed a tax renewal on a car on my driveway in the UK when I was abroad. When I got back and tried to renew (it had expired a month earlier) the site told me I was too late and I would have to do it with my V5 document.

I did this, and the system noted that I had been untaxed for a month, that it was an offence to be untaxed and un-SORNed for a month, and that their enforcement team may in touch to lighten my pocket.

Then if you look into it the standard pocket lightening is X, but if you don't pay it then it's a much bigger sum and a legal ton of bricks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I stupidly missed a tax renewal on a car on my driveway in the UK when I was abroad. When I got back and tried to renew (it had expired a month earlier) the site told me I was too late and I would have to do it with my V5 document.

I did this, and the system noted that I had been untaxed for a month, that it was an offence to be untaxed and un-SORNed for a month, and that their enforcement team may in touch to lighten my pocket.

Then if you look into it the standard pocket lightening is X, but if you don't pay it then it's a much bigger sum and a legal ton of bricks.
And did you get fined?

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Do you need UK road tax to drive in the EU?
Yes another UK daft policy .

Germans Belgians etc, don't pay road tax in their country when travelling in others for months. Many don't even have the mot done .

The Belgians I was travelling with in Turkey had insurance only . Their mot had expired several months before as they'd been on the road nearly 2 years.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95

I've had that enforcement team threat many many times and never heard from them.

And I've had vehicles lying around untaxed for a lot longer than a month before lol.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

The Belgians I was travelling with in Turkey had insurance only . Their mot had expired several months before as they'd been on the road nearly 2 years.
But likely their insurance is invalid so hopefully they won't run into you.

It's not a UK daft policy its a normal policy, for your insurance to be valid it has to be road legal in your own country so taxed, MOT (or home country equivalent) and anything else needed. How the authorities would check I'm not sure and probably not an issue till something happens.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

Germans Belgians etc, don't pay road tax in their country when travelling in others for months. Many don't even have the mot done .

I think on the EU it’s all part of the Vienna convention, which means it’s got to be road legal in the country of registration (U.K.) then it’s legal every where in the EU!
Now when you leave the EU that’s another matter!
Tread the globe has just been round the world for 5 years and 4 of them without tax or MOT🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I think on the EU it’s all part of the Geneva convention, which means it’s got to be road legal in the country of registration (U.K.) then it’s legal every where in the EU!
The Geneva convention, I think, is a global convention about the treatment of non-combatants during wars? And Geneva itself is, of course, not in the EU.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
The Geneva convention, I think, is a global convention about the treatment of non-combatants during wars? And Geneva itself is, of course, not in the EU.
Sorry my bad, is it the vienna convention??
Bear with me I’m only young🤪🤪🤪

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun