Current U.K. law on up plating has been changed WITHOUT consultation (60 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Current U.K. law on up plating has been changed WITHOUT consultation.

When up plating from 3500kg RFL will continue to be £365 pa. IT IS NOT being reduced to the PHG rate of £165.

Secondly, the DVLA are no longer changing the V5c to illustrate your new weight. The MTPLM will remain at 3500kg. This means that if your motorhome is detected on road installed Weight In Motion Sensors - WIMS, you WILL be classed as overweight. Currently there is no plan to prosecute although you will receive a letter advising you of weight limits etc.

This legislation is causing a great deal of harm to companies such as SvTech who are currently in constant communication with HMG and it is fully expected to be escalated and discussed on the floor in the House of Commons.

However, one of the reasons why in the short term this is in force is due to the EU's 4th directive and once in place will mean that RFL will illustrate the new entry weight limit. Vans & Moho's will need to be over 4250kg in order to qualify for the reduced RFL.

The Fourth Directive...

The EU will ratify this and it will be in force from January 2025. This means that drivers with post 1997 licences can drive upto 4250kg whether EV or ICE powered. Licences will become digital and some medicals will be self assessment.

Current information from Downing Street strongly suggests that the U.K.'s original stance was to also adopt this following an announcement during the March 2025 budget. The U.K. has historically adopted the first 3 directives and will also adopt No4.

There is now however a strong suggestion that this will be announced during the late October budget and will be in place for newly registered motohomes from March 1st.

This is of course still to be confirmed.

Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Rather than start another thread, hopefully someone can help here - very interested in a 3500kg van that is known to have a poor payload - so want to increase that.
If I applied to have it done today, does anyone have any intuition as to roughly when it would be done?

I've tried ringing SV Tech but no luck, and there website is undergoing some work I think.

Thanks in advance 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Rather than start another thread, hopefully someone can help here - very interested in a 3500kg van that is known to have a poor payload - so want to increase that.
If I applied to have it done today, does anyone have any intuition as to roughly when it would be done?

I've tried ringing SV Tech but no luck, and there website is undergoing some work I think.

Thanks in advance 👍
Depends what needs to be done, once SV have told you if it's something you can do yourself then the only wait is for parts and then DVLA, if you need to book in for Air assist or something then likely to be 2 to 3 month wait then DVLA.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Please keep us posted as that is almost what I did except I used VWE to provide the weight change certification otherwise the same weight change as you. The DVLA have changed everything except the revenue weight and Taxation Class.

May I ask what vehicle category yours is in, N1 or M1? That may be the difference.
M1

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
As has been reported here, one person has been up plated correctly.

There has not been a change to the law or construction & use rules.

This is simply a person or persons at DVLA trying to change the interpretation of the rules.

If a vehicle weighs more than 3500kg it is classed as a heavy goods vehicle.

As to the EU directive allowing a motorhome upto 4250kg to be driven on a category B licence, being adopted here, who knows. It would not under the previous government, but may be under the current government.
Don't hold your breath as they have much more pressing issues to sort out, than a few thousand motorhomes weight limits - as certain parties have ensured we are an island off the coast of Europe with our own set of rules.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

Thanks in advance 👍
Depends really.

Mine recently took 2 weeks for a paperwork exercise.

The previous one was only slightly longer as it required rear air assist. SV Tech supplied this for me to fit. Simple enough job. They still do all the paperwork and did not need any proof that you have done the work. Although maybe as I bought the kit from them helped. I got the new V5 before the work was done.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
As has been reported here, one person has been up plated correctly.

There has not been a change to the law or construction & use rules.
But that one was M1 Category.
This is simply a person or persons at DVLA trying to change the interpretation of the rules.

If a vehicle weighs more than 3500kg it is classed as a heavy goods vehicle.
Not in the eyes of the DVLA and I have escalated it to senior staff (Cheryl Westacott, DVLA Complaints Team}
with a total refusal to change.

The text of her reply to that complaint is...

"Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting our Head of DVLA Complaints, on 18 August about a change to
your vehicle information. As a member of the DVLA Complaints Team, I have been asked
to formally review your case at Step 2 of our complaints procedure.
It is currently taking us longer than our published timeframe to reply to customers, given
this, please accept my apologies for the delay in receiving my response.
I understand that my colleague’s previous response to you did not resolve matters. I hope
the following explains our actions.
Vehicle registration and taxation is governed by the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act
1994. The taxation requirements for N1 type approved vehicles are provided for in
Schedule 1, Part 1B (light goods vehicles) of this Act.
This specifies that any post-registration modifications made to such a vehicle cannot affect
its current status. This means that the type approval category and tax class that was
recorded at first registration must remain.
This legislation has been in place since 2001 and has not been subject to any recent
changes. However, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) has recently identified
that there was confusion regarding the processing of some applications. A reminder of the
correct procedures and legislative guidelines has subsequently been circulated to the
relevant business areas.
Your case has been reviewed based on the information you have provided. Should you
have any new information, we are happy to review your case again. If not, this brings the
DVLA procedure to an end. Further options can be found in the enclosed leaflet, (MIS 582),
which outlines the remit of the Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA)."

I had asked them how to explain how an N1 vehicle could have a Maximo Permissible Gross weight in excess if the internationally recognised weight of the N1 classification and all they could say was to present a copy of the above document to ant non UK authority who queried it.
From the sixth paragraph we can see that the DVLA admit to having been processing it wrongly for twenty three years!

Or it's all more Bull Sh1t.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back