Current U.K. law on up plating has been changed WITHOUT consultation (75 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Current U.K. law on up plating has been changed WITHOUT consultation.

When up plating from 3500kg RFL will continue to be £365 pa. IT IS NOT being reduced to the PHG rate of £165.

Secondly, the DVLA are no longer changing the V5c to illustrate your new weight. The MTPLM will remain at 3500kg. This means that if your motorhome is detected on road installed Weight In Motion Sensors - WIMS, you WILL be classed as overweight. Currently there is no plan to prosecute although you will receive a letter advising you of weight limits etc.

This legislation is causing a great deal of harm to companies such as SvTech who are currently in constant communication with HMG and it is fully expected to be escalated and discussed on the floor in the House of Commons.

However, one of the reasons why in the short term this is in force is due to the EU's 4th directive and once in place will mean that RFL will illustrate the new entry weight limit. Vans & Moho's will need to be over 4250kg in order to qualify for the reduced RFL.

The Fourth Directive...

The EU will ratify this and it will be in force from January 2025. This means that drivers with post 1997 licences can drive upto 4250kg whether EV or ICE powered. Licences will become digital and some medicals will be self assessment.

Current information from Downing Street strongly suggests that the U.K.'s original stance was to also adopt this following an announcement during the March 2025 budget. The U.K. has historically adopted the first 3 directives and will also adopt No4.

There is now however a strong suggestion that this will be announced during the late October budget and will be in place for newly registered motohomes from March 1st.

This is of course still to be confirmed.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
The EU ratified the change to 4250kg on a B licence but left it to individual countries to implement it if they want to. So far I think only Spain is going ahead.
If enough countries change hopefully the UK will follow but no guarantee.

Fingers crossed, too many motorhomes have to be crossed off my list due to weight.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
It is if you are abroad.

No they all have until 2028 to introduce it. Driving licence changes to digital & QR codes they have until 2030

Spain it is from 1st January next year.
As MichaelT says. If legal here should be no problem.

Someone on the thread I put up mentioned getting them to change it to the revenue weight but I would now not take the chance as they are likely to change the revenue as well.

I'll leave well alone

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
As MichaelT says. If legal here should be no problem.

Someone on the thread I put up mentioned getting them to change it to the revenue weight but I would now not take the chance as they are likely to change the revenue as well.

I'll leave well alone

I guess the issue here may be providing evidence?

Case 1: V5 says maximum 3,500, a legitimate plate has been added to the vehicle to say it's 4,000.
Case 2: V5 says maximum 3,500, a non-legitimate plate, but identical-looking to Case 1, has been added to say it's 4,000.

You get stopped in Europe and asked to prove your maximum vehicle weight. How do you do it?

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I guess the issue here may be providing evidence?

Case 1: V5 says maximum 3,500, a legitimate plate has been added to the vehicle to say it's 4,000.
Case 2: V5 says maximum 3,500, a non-legitimate plate, but identical-looking to Case 1, has been added to say it's 4,000.

You get stopped in Europe and asked to prove your maximum vehicle weight. How do you do it?
Certificate from SV Tech.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
That's incorrect as I up-plated from 3300 to 3850, as I insisted that the DVLA changed the MTPLM on my V5 to 3850 and they did.

View attachment 959838
And they did on mine without being asked.
Mass in service an Revenue weight bother remain unchanged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure what is going on, but when I previously increased a motorhome's weight from 5,200 to 5,500 kg the V5 was updated, the DVLA site shows the upgraded weight and therefore everything is in order.

The letter from a private company (SVTech, in my case) and the plate I've stuck inside the engine compartment were not definitive and I can't see how anyone would, or should, accept that they are.

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
So if I understand the OP's information, if you up-plate to over 3500kg the DVLA will not change your V5, but just send you a nice little letter saying it's OK. 👍.

That may be fine in the UK, but what would a French or Italian policeman say when you are stopped for a snap weighing and you are over your V5 weight? Can't see them being happy with a little letter that anyone could forge. :whatthe:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Aug 09 to date
Having passed my test yonks ago I obviously had my grandmother rights to drive C1. Trouble is, since I have Type 1 diabetes from before I even took driving lessons, I use insulin constantly and about 20 years(?) ago the UK Gov decided to remove the C1 from anyone like me's driving licence. Didn't bother me - we had 3500 litre mohos which I'd never wanted to drive anyway - but OH still has his C1 so when we had our van stolen in April, he decided to replace it with a heavier one. Fine, he's still got to drive it. I cannot, legally, currently.

So - if and when the Gov decide whatever they decide - how on earth do they cater for the insulin users who DO now legally drive sub 3500 mohos?

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
So if I understand the OP's information, if you up-plate to over 3500kg the DVLA will not change your V5, but just send you a nice little letter saying it's OK. 👍.

That may be fine in the UK, but what would a French or Italian policeman say when you are stopped for a snap weighing and you are over your V5 weight? Can't see them being happy with a little letter that anyone could forge. :whatthe:
No, you receive a new V5C with the new weights printed (if they manage to get it right!). That's how mine was processed anyway.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Having passed my test yonks ago I obviously had my grandmother rights to drive C1. Trouble is, since I have Type 1 diabetes from before I even took driving lessons, I use insulin constantly and about 20 years(?) ago the UK Gov decided to remove the C1 from anyone like me's driving licence. Didn't bother me - we had 3500 litre mohos which I'd never wanted to drive anyway - but OH still has his C1 so when we had our van stolen in April, he decided to replace it with a heavier one. Fine, he's still got to drive it. I cannot, legally, currently.

So - if and when the Gov decide whatever they decide - how on earth do they cater for the insulin users who DO now legally drive sub 3500 mohos?

The simple answer, and as I understand it the one adopted in the EU, would be in effect to say "a person who has a B licence can henceforth drive motorhomes up to a weight of 4,250 kg and other vehicles up to a weight of 3,500 kg"

This would mean that you can drive a 4,250 kg vehicle.

It would therefore be easy for the govt to cater for this. Whether they will opt for such a straightforward remains to be seen I think.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back