Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Maybe not but we now have far more Motorhomes on the road than we did a few years ago the councils should be encouraging them not banning them from everywhere. All they are doing is driving tourists away to spend money in other countries.

On an average trip we spend 2 to 3 grand in other countries so far I've not seen anything that would encourage us to spend it in the UK so that is £4 to £6k a year the UK is losing by being anti Motorhome and I'm only one person.

For a start need to get rid of all the jobsworth that give you a ticket for parking over a white line get rid of height barriers allow Motorhomes to stop for free or a few quid a night.
I've stopped in Aires and Stellaplatz where cars have to pay more than Motorhomes they value the business Motorhomes bring.

Ditto, so that’s £10,000 from just two people…😳🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think that there is no law, but campsites need a licence and part of the licensing process is to obtain a fire certificate and the fire service stipulates the 6m rule.
Cars park with hot engines and highly volitile fuel so why not a 6m rule for them in carparks.
Remember Luton Airport and the Boomtown Festival.

Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now
It seems to me many locations with large car parks in the UK are missing a trick when it comes to self contained Motorhome overnight parking.
National Trust, English Heritage, Port Marinas, Garden Centres, Marts, Supermarkets, Golf Clubs, the list goes on.
I often email places close to where I’d like to overnight asking if they would allow overnighting but 99% of the time receive a negative answer. So we end up using pubs, the few places that do encourage it and small 5 van type farm sites so we can empty and fill up.
Sadly, the UK has a long way to go to be able emulate the Aires on the continent.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It seems to me many locations with large car parks in the UK are missing a trick when it comes to self contained Motorhome overnight parking.
National Trust, English Heritage, Port Marinas, Garden Centres, Marts, Supermarkets, Golf Clubs, the list goes on.
I often email places close to where I’d like to overnight asking if they would allow overnighting but 99% of the time receive a negative answer. So we end up using pubs, the few places that do encourage it and small 5 van type farm sites so we can empty and fill up.
Sadly, the UK has a long way to go to be able emulate the Aires on the continent.
Maybe from the owners point of view they don’t need the hassle

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
They really do and more depending on location and length of stay. I paid £25 recently for a few hours in London to park my car.
And it's about £8 an hour in central Edinburgh. But , as I'm sure you are aware , the normal town centre carpark in most parts of the UK don't charge at all in the evening.
So , no , they really don't.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
And it's about £8 an hour in central Edinburgh. But , as I'm sure you are aware , the normal town centre carpark in most parts of the UK don't charge at all in the evening.
oh yes they do 😀 it depends on the town or city my town charges 24/7
Some nearby towns don’t so it depends is the real answer 😎👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Exactly, town councils are really missing out when a large carpark at night is probably only 10% full…

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Exactly, town councils are really missing out when a large carpark at night is probably only 10% full…
it’s not councils who manage the car parks it’s the outsourced bandits who fine and take money from us

Jan 23, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Exp
Escaping since 2012
you can always park in a campsite we do
It would be a very expensive place to just park!

I tend to see several things during the day. I'll stop somewhere for lunch, usually topping up with groceries in the local shop. Once I've been to where I want to be in the afternoon I only need somewhere to stop and sleep overnight. Again quite often popping into the local shops/pub. I am quite happy to pay, most places in Italy were €20, France can be up to that too. What I don't want to do is pay £50 for a overnight stopover.

For those that like using their motorhomes as a caravan go for it, we are all different! Please though don't jump on the bandwagon and wish those who motorhome get made to do the same.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It would be a very expensive place to just park!

I tend to see several things during the day. I'll stop somewhere for lunch, usually topping up with groceries in the local shop. Once I've been to where I want to be in the afternoon I only need somewhere to stop and sleep overnight. Again quite often popping into the local shops/pub. I am quite happy to pay, most places in Italy were €20, France can be up to that too. What I don't want to do is pay £50 for a overnight stopover.

For those that like using their motorhomes as a caravan go for it, we are all different! Please though don't jump on the bandwagon and wish those who motorhome get made to do the same.
The thing is though in this country they charge a fortune for something that isn't worth looking at and yet in Europe they don't charge anything to be in better country side nicer towns and people plus you can almost guarantee good weather.
Just no compition, if you take in the miserable folk and weather here they should pay you.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I'd say closer to 1% .
Used to stop off in Whitby. Often off season . Huge carpark behind co-op virtually empty in the evening. There was a charge but not excessive. No longer allowed. Other places in Yorkshire get my dosh

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Our local car park down adjacent to Portchester Castle has "No overnight/camping" having introduced parking fees a year ago. During the consultation period with the local community, I wrote and suggested a 24 hour rate to allow for visiting motorhomes to stop over. Fell on deaf ears. The local pub and English heritage would doubtless have welcomed the increased footfall.

Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.
Read in the York Press this morning North Yorkshire Council are set to trial a restriction on overnight parking. These are Scarborough north bay, the A174 at Sandsend Whitby and Filey Road in Cayton Bay. This will be for 18 months, decision to be made this Frida
Strange thing is,not one house anywhere near Filey road (Cayton bay)) so why stop it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our local car park down adjacent to Portchester Castle has "No overnight/camping" having introduced parking fees a year ago. During the consultation period with the local community, I wrote and suggested a 24 hour rate to allow for visiting motorhomes to stop over. Fell on deaf ears. The local pub and English heritage would doubtless have welcomed the increased footfall.
Unfortunately UK councils absolutely hate Motorhomes so I'll spend my money elsewhere, their loss.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Unfortunately UK councils absolutely hate Motorhomes so I'll spend my money elsewhere, their loss.
What you mean like our local council who are about to start legal action against a filthy pos motorhomer who emptied his toilet cassette onto the football pitch in the park opposite us?
Shame he didn't spot the cctv camera approx 10m away from him. Council and SEPA involved.
It's not a one off, not by a long way.
Keep your money, take it elsewhere.

Jun 17, 2021
Beverley, UK
Funster No
MH
Florium magister74ml
Exp
Been caravanner for over thirty years,now going to have motorhome very soon.
What you mean like our local council who are about to start legal action against a filthy pos motorhomer who emptied his toilet cassette onto the football pitch in the park opposite us?
Shame he didn't spot the cctv camera approx 10m away from him. Council and SEPA involved.
Well he needs to be braught to justice

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
It hasn't helped that the council have been supposedly refurbishing the toilet block with a good chunk of the carpark blocked off whilst they do so, trouble is they've been doing it for many months but it's still just a shell so haven't a clue why it's taking so long, none of the locals have a clue why either.
Well if that was here in the Canary Islands the reason would be they ran out of money. Why did they run out? well you need to pay all the under the table commissions first, then the lunches and dinners (often including drugs and whores) for the representatives of the council and/or Government, by which time you will find that the original quote for the work has just doubled. So you stop the work and abandon it for 4 - 6 years.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Yea because that is how we all behave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back