Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I am not having a go Mjnxy but isn’t this the issue ‘a small car oark’ and lovely views, what happens when it becomes more popular 2 3 4 Motorhomes turn up and stay. And the locals can’t park ? I’m sure your respectful and it’s only yourselves but this is what is driving locals to distraction.
So ½ dozen cars from outside the area park in the car park denying locals parking spaces but the locals don't complain.
2 Motorhomes park there taking up less space than the 6 cars and the locals complain.

About time try learnt to live with Motorhomes, they are here to stay.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So ½ dozen cars from outside the area park in the car park denying locals parking spaces but the locals don't complain.
2 Motorhomes park there taking up less space than the 6 cars and the locals complain.

This is a lot of the problem - people who are resistant to change. Sadly quite a lot of them seem to become councillors although I suppose the people who think " this is a good idea" are away in Mh's :LOL:

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
This trip via Edinburgh and Whitby, ended today as my Pretty fell ill, first we thought Shrip cocktail, then she thought a cold, then after her staying in the van Thursday and Friday in bed, I suggested we come home. On the way home we saw a sandwich van and stopped for breakfast, I suggested she tested for Covid. Yep the test showed positive..
So on Thursday and Friday, pretty used the shower in the van. She said it was as good as the ones we have at home.
Personally I love to camp wild, staying at Aires in France and Spain, or Service stations in Holland and Belgium, I’ve never gone wild camping in the UK. I find the councils in the UK way behind the world. Who in their right mind votes these fools in to power. There is no reason other than financial why there can not be lots of “by the sea” parking spots throughout the UK, or lots of Aires throughout the countryside near villages. Such things bring commerce to much needed pubs and village shops

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Probably not much commerce. Mostly just Tesco and the like. Just a different location to “at home”.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Cars tend not to stay overnight and for days on end and move on giving others the opportunity to use the space. The more motorhomes the bigger the problem which is no different to cars and vehicle parking restrictions applied. So whilst motorhomes are here to stay expect further restrictions to be applied…just saying.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Probably not much commerce. Mostly just Tesco and the like. Just a different location to “at home”.
Yet France, Germany etc must also realise this but still provide aires.
I don't think for one second that every German, French etc motorhomer only uses local shops or are in any way different from British motorhomers.

In fact having seen in some German garages they take 6 months supply of everything from Germany lol.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Cars tend not to stay overnight and for days on end and move on giving others the opportunity to use the space. The more motorhomes the bigger the problem which is no different to cars and vehicle parking restrictions applied. So whilst motorhomes are here to stay expect further restrictions to be applied…just saying.
Eventually when they realise the restrictions don't work maybe they'll have a rethink .

For me it isn't even about the cost ....OK I think campsites take the piss with their prices but even if they were a tenner a night I'd still not want to use them. I very rarely stay on free aires either , I'll use the service point and if there's more than 2 or 3 other vans or they're parked really close I'll find a carpark instead.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Scarborough thought that this was a problem several years ago and wanted to ban MH parking along Marine Parade etc, because it blocked people’s view. I, like many others, pointed out that there weren’t any houses there and I was quite surprised when Scarborough agreed to allow parking and even installed the chemical toilet facilities.

Sadly it does seem to have degenerated into a free for all situation and other visitors are being denied access. A simple solution would be to colour code every third parking space and only allow MHs to stay on those. PNCs for anyone using other places.

Gordon
Another option is to allow overnight parking but ending at 10am and no return within 10hours

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another option is to allow overnight parking but ending at 10am and no return within 10hours
But where are they going to park during the day?
The more sensible option is a 48 or 72 hour limit with no return within 3 or 7 days.
Then they have time to look at the area & spend some money then visit another area. It works in other countries

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

On the road in sandsend it's not 2 or 3 motorhomes and campers it's often 20+ and they're there all night and day for a few days quite often. The locals can't get a space to walk their dogs on the beach. But at night there's largely just the campers that's why I suggested and evening ticket say 7 pm to 10 am no return for 10 hours. It would let people park for the night ( it's a lovely spot) and leave spaces free in the day. I know a lot will say they want day as well but I think it's likely to be no campers at night which gains very little for anyone.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The more sensible option is a 48 or 72 hour limit with no return within 3 or 7 days.
Then they have time to look at the area & spend some money then visit another area. It works in other countries
That would then need policing as if not the FLT's would just wait till dark or after the last visit by council then park up and like the French be away at dawns crack. Parking is not a police matter as far as I know it's up to councils to enforce unlike abroad where it seems the police do police it so to speak.

Problem is councils are sh1t scared of gypsies turning up and turning the place into a no go zone with human sh1t everywhere, rubbish, fires, thieving etc like happened to a local council near where we are moving to. The play field has now got to be surgically cleaned as it's now a health hazard especially to children and their play area and sports pitches. Costs a fortune to clear and time to get done and make safe.

Probably needs a whole change of laws and police to grow a pair to move the dirty bastards on or just crush their vans so they won't be doing it any time soon but with current laws they have to issue court notices etc and make sure no kids are being harmed etc.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
On the road in sandsend it's not 2 or 3 motorhomes and campers it's often 20+ and they're there all night and day for a few days quite often. The locals can't get a space to walk their dogs on the beach. But at night there's largely just the campers that's why I suggested and evening ticket say 7 pm to 10 am no return for 10 hours. It would let people park for the night ( it's a lovely spot) and leave spaces free in the day. I know a lot will say they want day as well but I think it's likely to be no campers at night which gains very little for anyone.
And make a charge, doesn't have to be huge but enough to cover costs of policing it etc. I'm sure £8 - £10 a night would be OK and in line with paid Aires abroad.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
That's because they can't get their crap low standard food anywhere else. 🤣
That’s very strange is that, when I stay at St Eloy les Mines in central France by 16.00 the aire is full of every European nationality you can think of. By 20.30 every restaurant on the Main Street and every bar is full of them, eating food, drinking beer. Walk up to the supermarket and the shops are full of people buying stuff, yes they use the supermarket too. But it’s all local people who are employed. As I fill up with fuel at the local garage (20cents cheaper than motorways) I notice there’s always a queue of motorhomes, lots buying bottled gas too.
And in a morning the local baker has a queue of people outside his shop buying bread and cakes.
Now if that’s not supporting local commerce, I’ll eat my hat…

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That’s very strange is that, when I stay at St Eloy les Mines in central France by 16.00 the aire is full of every European nationality you can think of. By 20.30 every restaurant on the Main Street and every bar is full of them, eating food, drinking beer. Walk up to the supermarket and the shops are full of people buying stuff, yes they use the supermarket too. But it’s all local people who are employed. As I fill up with fuel at the local garage (20cents cheaper than motorways) I notice there’s always a queue of motorhomes, lots buying bottled gas too.
And in a morning the local baker has a queue of people outside his shop buying bread and cakes.
Now if that’s not supporting local commerce, I’ll eat my hat…
My post was in jest at Northernraider comment.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
There would have to be a total sea change in how we are dealt with in the UK . A few local authorities do appear to have seen the light .
Baffled by some [many?] of the comments on here .
We are allowed , the same as any other vehicle , to use a parking space .
As for staying overnight , most carparks are empty at night . Some charge us for the privilege [fair enough I suppose] but cars park for free .
Of course some take the pee but , in general , we are economically good for the places we visit

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
But we are not other countries and didn't we wish to take back control...control of where MoHo's can and cannot park for instance :unsure:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That would then need policing as if not the FLT's would just wait till dark or after the last visit by council then park up and like the French be away at dawns crack. Parking is not a police matter as far as I know it's up to councils to enforce unlike abroad where it seems the police do police it so to speak.

Problem is councils are sh1t scared of gypsies turning up and turning the place into a no go zone with human sh1t everywhere, rubbish, fires, thieving etc like happened to a local council near where we are moving to. The play field has now got to be surgically cleaned as it's now a health hazard especially to children and their play area and sports pitches. Costs a fortune to clear and time to get done and make safe.

Probably needs a whole change of laws and police to grow a pair to move the dirty bastards on or just crush their vans so they won't be doing it any time soon but with current laws they have to issue court notices etc and make sure no kids are being harmed etc.
Not all Gypsys are bad, they live an alternate romany life much like FLT...

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
All I want to do most nights is to “Park” somewhere, if I want to camp then I’ll go to a “Campsite”.. it’s not rocket science is it…😎
you can always park in a campsite we do

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But we are not other countries and didn't we wish to take back control...control of where MoHo's can and cannot park for instance :unsure:
Maybe not but we now have far more Motorhomes on the road than we did a few years ago the councils should be encouraging them not banning them from everywhere. All they are doing is driving tourists away to spend money in other countries.

On an average trip we spend 2 to 3 grand in other countries so far I've not seen anything that would encourage us to spend it in the UK so that is £4 to £6k a year the UK is losing by being anti Motorhome and I'm only one person.

For a start need to get rid of all the jobsworth that give you a ticket for parking over a white line get rid of height barriers allow Motorhomes to stop for free or a few quid a night.
I've stopped in Aires and Stellaplatz where cars have to pay more than Motorhomes they value the business Motorhomes bring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back