Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
The thing is though in this country they charge a fortune for something that isn't worth looking at and yet in Europe they don't charge anything to be in better country side nicer towns
A bit of a generalisation. For example, all National museums in the UK are generally free, so some of the world’s finest arts, science, social and engineering museums you can visit for nowt. I have paid, quite often, a lot of money to visit the same in Europe.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
A bit of a generalisation. For example, all National museums in the UK are generally free, so some of the world’s finest arts, science, social and engineering museums you can visit for nowt. I have paid, quite often, a lot of money to visit the same in Europe.
They are funded in the same way as libraries it’s our tax money and long they remain free too.

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Ditto, so that’s £10,000 from just two people

@our poppy llll

I don't normally like to have a go at others if possible ... but in your case, I'll make an exception this time as you thoroughly deserve it in my view.

Yours is a VERY bigoted AND Closed-Minded view & comment ..... I'd be tempted to offer to let you go & meet my auld Dad to "Show" you the sheer bigotry of your comment, but he died in 2021, and I wouldn't want to expose him to such bigotry even if he were still alive.

He was an honest, tax-paying traveller who help build MANY of the "new towns & suburbs" all across the UK over past decades !!
Furthermore, the community of Full-Time (and/or "much of the time") Motorhomers would also appear to fall within your "Traveller" description ... So presumably they are also all dis-honest, Non-Tax-Paying individuals in YOUR eyes.

..... Now kindly publish exactly where I can see the REAL "Starshit Enterprise" at its location as you promised.
I would really love to respond to this, but such a response of my personal experiences of travellers would have me kicked off this site. You will never find the starship enterprise as it does not exist. That’s my point. Motorhomers are not travellers, Gypsy’s who I hold in high regard are not travellers.. But we’ll leave it there.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That is the difference. If everything you are doing us contained within the vehicle then it is simply parked. Putting chairs, ramps ,bbq's etc outside is camping .

I don't camp , I park. Its very rare I have chairs outside, to be honest I can't see the appeal of eating outside unless I've a fire lit for cooking , can't stand the flies, wasps etc.

If I'm parked and there's a beach , benches or grass outside I'll usually go sit on those rather than pull a chair out. I wouldn't dream of sitting outside in an ordinary carpark that's just mad.

But I've parked in streets overnight and no one is award I'm in there . My blinds etc are usually closed unless I'm somewhere fairly remote with a view.
ok so with nothing outside the Motorhome and not hooked up on a campsite then I am parked but put the sunshade out and chairs I am camping I can go with those definitions. 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
@our poppy llll

I don't normally like to have a go at others if possible ... but in your case, I'll make an exception this time as you thoroughly deserve it in my view.

Yours is a VERY bigoted AND Closed-Minded view & comment ..... I'd be tempted to offer to let you go & meet my auld Dad to "Show" you the sheer bigotry of your comment, but he died in 2021, and I wouldn't want to expose him to such bigotry even if he were still alive.

He was an honest, tax-paying traveller who help build MANY of the "new towns & suburbs" all across the UK over past decades !!
Furthermore, the community of Full-Time (and/or "much of the time") Motorhomers would also appear to fall within your "Traveller" description ... So presumably they are also all dis-honest, Non-Tax-Paying individuals in YOUR eyes.

..... Now kindly publish exactly where I can see the REAL "Starshit Enterprise" at its location as you promised.
I suspect my roofer falls in to the same category as your Dad all I can say is the world would be poorer without people like them and suspect you miss him.

The first time my roofer was late and he apologised and said he had just gone to Church, I chuckled and asked if he had gone to get forgiveness and he replied no, I’m getting married and his bride is catholic and from a travelling family. (I cringe even now at my flippancy and bias). He is a decent guy hasn’t been late since and is a top bloke sometimes people including myself need to leave their bias by the door. Their are decent people from all communities.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
ok so with nothing outside the Motorhome and not hooked up on a campsite then I am parked but put the sunshade out and chairs I am camping I can go with those definitions. 👍
That's correct . The only difference being the campsite will charge you a fortune to do the same as many of us do for free.

Which is why the campsite owners object to any alternatives being created.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Exactly. And our foreign visitors can also take advantage of the same free entry.
And why not much in our museums contain items that come from other lands including the Elgin marbles or how about the stuff from the US such as the Apollo lander and capsule…

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would really love to respond to this, but such a response of my personal experiences of travellers would have me kicked off this site. You will never find the starship enterprise as it does not exist. That’s my point. Motorhomers are not travellers, Gypsy’s who I hold in high regard are not travellers.. But we’ll leave it there.
I'm a traveller in every sense of the word other than being born in a traveller family.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That's correct . The only difference being the campsite will charge you a fortune to do the same as many of us do for free.

Which is why the campsite owners object to any alternatives being created.
Mind you there is a certain security, nice showers, clean toilets, quite etc but each to their own

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
@our poppy llll

A Scottish person with traveller heritage who is also an Afrikaans baboon? That is an admirably broad church

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
I'm a traveller in every sense of the word other than being born in a traveller family.

As am I. ... I wasn't born into a "traveller family" (which is irrelevant in my view, as "Traveller" is a life-style choice, NOT a Race or Ethnic-Group), but my Dad was indeed a Traveller for many years until his retirement, and my Dad was one of the hardest working and most honest people I've ever known, so I do not take kindly to bigoted false assertions and generalisations such as our poppy llll statements that Good, Honest, Tax-Paying Travellers do not exist.

However, a particularly obnoxious UK police officer once defined me as a "P_i_k_e_y" after taking my details when I was out on the road, as my Dad & I are Irish and I have an Irish surname ..... I very much enjoyed metaphorically & mentally slapping him down. ) >>> PS >>> I think the Site-Censor changed the actual work used to "Itinerent", so I've tried to correct it back to the TRUE word.

For my own personal amusement, I am also the proud owner of a "Police Roadside Check" report from the Bloemfontein Authorities defining me as a "Rooinek Kaffir" (Literal Afrikaans for = Redneck Non-Believer) .... AND an Official Certificate from the South African government confirming what I already suspected ;) , namely that I am indeed a "White Person". :LOL:

Last edited:

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
A Scottish person with traveller heritage who is also an Afrikaans baboon? That is an admirably broad church

Thank you kindly ..... I like to think so ..... I originally picked up the nickname as (a) a pun on my first names, and (b) the way I tend to walk due to hit-&-run injuries I sustained when I was more of a biker.

Also, to quote the immortal Bard, "Two out of Three ain't bad" :LOL: ..... I suspect Scottish is the one part of my UK genetic half-breed heritage that I probably don't have, although I've lived in & loved Scotland for decades.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
But where are they going to park during the day?
The more sensible option is a 48 or 72 hour limit with no return within 3 or 7 days.
Then they have time to look at the area & spend some money then visit another area. It works in other countries
A lot of places do that here, but it is not controlled so the places are occupied all summer by the same vans.......

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
It seems to me many locations with large car parks in the UK are missing a trick when it comes to self contained Motorhome overnight parking.
National Trust, English Heritage, Port Marinas, Garden Centres, Marts, Supermarkets, Golf Clubs, the list goes on.
I often email places close to where I’d like to overnight asking if they would allow overnighting but 99% of the time receive a negative answer. So we end up using pubs, the few places that do encourage it and small 5 van type farm sites so we can empty and fill up.
Sadly, the UK has a long way to go to be able emulate the Aires on the continent.
Sounds like it, but you are still light years ahead of the Canary Islands where we are only just starting, as I found out since buying the moho 😂

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes but my van already has security, a clean toilet and shower ... no verucas or pebbledash lol.

In fact the only time I ever had anything stolen was on a campsite
Was that a CAMC some say it’s thier wallet that has been stollen 😉

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Spain , and possibly other countries , define the difference between being parked or camping . Parking is , quite simply being stopped roadside or carpark . Whether for an hour or overnight it is all the same it is permitted.
Camping behaviour are things like awnings , tables and chairs , habitation windows open etc . Not permitted.
Exactly that. When parked up you can only occupy the parking space (so it needs to be as long as your van). This usually means you cannot open your side windows because they would extend outside the width of the assigned place. But you can eat, sleep and whatever else you do, inside your van. This makes sense to me and I therefor abide by it. If you want to get the chairs, tables, barbeques etc. out, then you need to be in a properly assigned place, be that a camp site, aire or whatever they call them these days.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not sure if Canterbury P&R has been mentioned on the thread? Now there is an example of a local council that welcomes motorhomers, provides basic facilities and doesn't charge the earth. We have only stayed there once, but we will return. I don't know how many P&Rs there are in the country, but most towns of a reasonable size have one, some on the coast. It's surely not beyond the wit of man to work out that people mean money and if you can attract them to your town it's win win.

The Canterbury Car Parks Manager is employed and does not need to seek re-election from moaning minnies. His job is to provide CP facilities and to cover the costs. Which he does very well.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Ref festival , i am always thinking hot exhaust s on grass during the summer not a good idea ???
No, last year we were in Jaca and a bus came in and reversed up to the kerb which had a lot of grass on. Minute later the exhaust had set alight to said grass, I had to run over to the driver to move and he managed to douse the flames before it spread as it was very dry and hot.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No, last year we were in Jaca and a bus came in and reversed up to the kerb which had a lot of grass on. Minute later the exhaust had set alight to said grass, I had to run over to the driver to move and he managed to douse the flames before it spread as it was very dry and hot.

I did not know buses had after-burners. :LOL:

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Jon

It is no good trying to convince those who think wildcamping is laybys and carparks.

I wonder where their eyes are when passing through wonderful country between campsites.

We are always on the look-out for likely good stops for the future.

Anyway the likes of you, us and a handful of others know where we want to be.

Are we on the wrong forum or are the campsite adherents?
I always assumed there was room for both, but perhaps I am mistaken!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
omg when a vehicle is topped the handbrake is on it is parked,

I do believe you are incorrect in your statement.
If the engine is runing even with the handbrake on it is not considered parked regarding road traffic regs.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I do believe you are incorrect in your statement.
If the engine is runing even with the handbrake on it is not considered parked regarding road traffic regs.
At the risk of being annoying I did say 'omg when a vehicle is topped the handbrake is on it is parked', I did not say omg when a vehicle is stopped the handbrake is on with the engine running it is parked,

semantics I know but there we go :LOL: (y)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
At the risk of being annoying I did say 'omg when a vehicle is topped the handbrake is on it is parked', I did not say omg when a vehicle is stopped the handbrake is on with the engine running it is parked,

semantics I know but there we go :LOL: (y)

Exactly why I clarified the point.

The vehicle is not considered parked if the engine is running.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back