Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Whenever that happens to me (which is quite rare as I prefer to be well off the beaten track) ..... I like to sing out loud >>>

"Everywhere I go, I get slandered, libelled" :LOL: (with thanks to Robson & Jerome)
S&G not R&J😆

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make that 3
Four ... Well possibly not quite as much dosh as we love searching out the bargains/food reductions in the shops as we then have a surprise as to what we're gonna be eating. We did go a bit extravagant the other day though on a pack of 2 Scottish sirloin steaks but in my defence it was in the reduced section and with 50% off only £ 3.74. 😄

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I park up all over the UK and , sorry , but you are just spouting nonsense.
Not sure what your agenda is but I'd rather not be involved
No agenda but with respect it’s not nonsense, car parks have varying opening and closing times which is why you should always read the notices.

One Funster pointed out yesterday that a car park in Ayre allows free MoHo parking Daytime and charge £10 overnight who knew ?

Some car parks have height and length restrictions

Some have length of stay restrictions

Some car parks are free in the evening

Some car parks are closed and gates locked after a certain time and open again in the morning

Some car parks are free on the weekends or just a Sunday

Some car parks are free on Bank Holidays.

some car parks have 24/7 parking fees

There are also car parks that ask for a honesty payment.

All of the above is true and not fable

There are no standard opening times or fees for car parks in this country it is all variable therefore it is not nonsense.

Like many here including yourself I have also parked up all over the country both on business and pleasure and aware that all the above applies (and more get a fine for not being exactly in the parking box). Blame the councils for the variations of T’s and C’s not me

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You don't.

You camp
Interesting 🤔 so if I park in a field that’s wild camping if I park on the side of the road or a car park that’s parking and if I’m on a CAMC site and not hooked up is that camping or parking.

My definition of a Motorhome that is parked is when it’s not in use and just parked outside the house am I wrong ?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You have got to be joking 12 quid to overnight in a carpark that will be empty and no facilities is flipping expensive.
Some say £30 on a campsite is expensive, but conversely how much did it cost to buy the land and build the car park and how many £10 will it take to recover the cost?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes .

But don't worry about it . You often are 😁
😂 omg when a vehicle is topped the handbrake is on it is parked, how you the. Use the vehicle in what ever context would then describe the activity so even when parked by the side of the road you would still be camping…just parked up by the side of the road.

Are you sure it’s not your who is wrong 😑 😉👍

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Interesting 🤔 so if I park in a field that’s wild camping if I park on the side of the road or a car park that’s parking and if I’m on a CAMC site and not hooked up is that camping or parking.

My definition of a Motorhome that is parked is when it’s not in use and just parked outside the house am I wrong ?
Surely camping is when you can get your chairs etc out. As for Aires, CAMPRA or not, surely it depends on the aire? On some you can camp, some you park. And surely it also depends on location? In the back of beyond even though technically parking, no one is around if you get your chairs out.
I don’t like big campsites and don’t use them unless I must. I object at paying £30+ for an overnight stay when I am arriving late afternoon, early evening and going first thing in the morning.
I do want to stay in an authorised overnight stop and I am willing to pay. How much depends on the infrastructure.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Surely camping is when you can get your chairs etc out. As for Aires, CAMPRA or not, surely it depends on the aire? On some you can camp, some you park. And surely it also depends on location? In the back of beyond even though technically parking, no one is around if you get your chairs out.
I don’t like big campsites and don’t use them unless I must. I object at paying £30+ for an overnight stay when I am arriving late afternoon, early evening and going first thing in the morning.
I do want to stay in an authorised overnight stop and I am willing to pay. How much depends on the infrastructure.
Good point although we have seen many parked up along the towns sea front with chairs on the pavement ….is that still camping (as a definition of the activity I would suggest it is even if it annoys folk)

The road near Brighton pier people park and camp it’s one and the same.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
😂 omg when a vehicle is topped the handbrake is on it is parked, how you the. Use the vehicle in what ever context would then describe the activity so even when parked by the side of the road you would still be camping…just parked up by the side of the road.

Are you sure it’s not your who is wrong 😑 😉👍
OK apply the same theory to a car, bus or lorry . If its parked but someone is sitting in it are they parked or are they camping.

Dint be ridiculous

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Good point although we have seen many parked up along the towns sea front with chairs on the pavement ….is that still camping (as a definition of the activity I would suggest it is even if it annoys folk)

I agree with you there and we wouldn't do that.
But you see loads of cars doing it, getting their table chairs out beside the car but no one ever complains about them.
The anti Motorhome brigade are more of a problem than most Motorhomes.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
OK apply the same theory to a car, bus or lorry . If its parked but someone is sitting in it are they parked or are they camping.

Dint be ridiculous
Spain , and possibly other countries , define the difference between being parked or camping . Parking is , quite simply being stopped roadside or carpark . Whether for an hour or overnight it is all the same it is permitted.
Camping behaviour are things like awnings , tables and chairs , habitation windows open etc . Not permitted.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Is sitting in your car with the window open “camping behaviour”?

I understand the intent but the language is far too loose.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016

I think it's defined as not going beyond the footprint of the vehicle so if your mh windows wind down (like a car) or slide open it's OK if they hinge open so go beyond the footprint then it's not allowed.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

No laws about it in UK afaik, but in Spain, yes if the window is protruding from the side of the window, but if you have slidey sideys like us you are ok. :winky:

Pete

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
OK, what about classic cars with “trafficators” :)

1723458799517.png

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

That is the difference. If everything you are doing us contained within the vehicle then it is simply parked. Putting chairs, ramps ,bbq's etc outside is camping .

I don't camp , I park. Its very rare I have chairs outside, to be honest I can't see the appeal of eating outside unless I've a fire lit for cooking , can't stand the flies, wasps etc.

If I'm parked and there's a beach , benches or grass outside I'll usually go sit on those rather than pull a chair out. I wouldn't dream of sitting outside in an ordinary carpark that's just mad.

But I've parked in streets overnight and no one is award I'm in there . My blinds etc are usually closed unless I'm somewhere fairly remote with a view.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
I'm not sure if Canterbury P&R has been mentioned on the thread? Now there is an example of a local council that welcomes motorhomers, provides basic facilities and doesn't charge the earth. We have only stayed there once, but we will return. I don't know how many P&Rs there are in the country, but most towns of a reasonable size have one, some on the coast. It's surely not beyond the wit of man to work out that people mean money and if you can attract them to your town it's win win.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I'm not sure if Canterbury P&R has been mentioned on the thread? Now there is an example of a local council that welcomes motorhomers, provides basic facilities and doesn't charge the earth. We have only stayed there once, but we will return. I don't know how many P&Rs there are in the country, but most towns of a reasonable size have one, some on the coast. It's surely not beyond the wit of man to work out that people mean money and if you can attract them to your town it's win win.
Yes it's an excellent facility . There are isolated examples of this around the country.
Bus ticket included, continental type thinking ?

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I did an overnight at Ayr seafront last month. There was a tank for black waste in the corner of the car park although it looked a bit derelict. If you use the app to pay, it's another 20p. Considering the view, I consider it a reasonable fee. Overnight charging for a car park surrounded by roads/buildings, then £5 seems more realistic. As ever with many councils, greed takes over and people vote with their wheels and park where the councils would prefer them not to.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Dint be ridiculous
😀 well as I used to drive 45000 per year when I parked up I sometimes had a brief nap and a sandwich does that make it B&B sometimes I had my laptop out and was working for an hour or three so does that make it a mobile office ?

The bus drive may be having a break so you are suggesting wasn’t parked he was resting

So whilst we are thrashing out if we are parked or camped take a peek at the Highway Code

How many park in a nice quiet lane where the speed limit is over 40mph.

Rule 249
All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

The Highway Code makes no distinction to the activity within a vehicle when parked

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back