Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think the problem is some people are hence this post. Rather than staying a night or 2 in a place they are there for the summer and setting up camp spoiling it for those who just stop the night.
There are places where it's possible to stay a few days - but nowhere near houses or blocking a view and especially not a amongst a gaggle of other motorhomes.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
My apologies ... You're quite right and I should really have given credit to all of them, but the Simon & Garfunkel and Robson & Jerome versions are my favourites.

Oh! ... plus I didn't have the time or inclination to post a full historical biography of the song. :whistle2: :LOL:
Like I said - it was a quiet morning . . . . :)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Well hopefully these people will now use campsites with facilities.
I for one didn't buy a motorhome thinking to sleep in lay-by and car parks.
I don't much like organised campsites with facilities. I prefer our own facilities and I like a view that preferably doesnt involve awnings and washing.

No we dont sleep in Laybys, but we do sometimes stop in carparks, especially if they have a nice pub attached to them.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't much like organised campsites with facilities. I prefer our own facilities and I like a view that preferably doesnt involve awnings and washing.

No we dont sleep in Laybys, but we do sometimes stop in carparks, especially if they have a nice pub attached to them.

Jon

It is no good trying to convince those who think wildcamping is laybys and carparks.

I wonder where their eyes are when passing through wonderful country between campsites.

We are always on the look-out for likely good stops for the future.

Anyway the likes of you, us and a handful of others know where we want to be.

Are we on the wrong forum or are the campsite adherents?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Come to Poole or the surrounding area (BCP) even state that they can't do bloody nothing about it, even though it says cars and bikes on their own website

£2.40 for ten hours of parking then it's free and you only have to pay for 231days of the year as the 134 is free to park from 1st November to 14 March 🤯 oh and access to public toilets 🚻 on site and large bins everywhere

1000056332.jpg

Screenshot_20240809_230630_Chrome.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well hopefully these people will now use campsites with facilities.
I for one didn't buy a motorhome thinking to sleep in lay-by and car parks.
No amount of restrictions will EVER make me use a campsite. I'll park on a street outside someone's house first. If all the motorhomes and campers parking in carparks start doing that let's see how they deal with that. Are they going to ban motorhomes from parking in the street next? I don't think so.

They don't solve the problem by restrictions they simply move it elsewhere.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We have had this argument many times , it's up to what you want I suppose but it beats me why anyone would spend up to £100000 on something you are not going to use, any motorhome we have , the toilet and shower are the first things in , everything else we can compromise but our own bathroom is the absolute main thing.
If you are not going to use them but use campsite facilities you might just as well have a van with seats in.
Yep if all the people who.use motorhomes like caravans just bought caravans instead we wouldn't have the problem of too many motorhomes. Leave the proper motorhoming to those who use them the correct way.

Like the Europeans

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
As long as they re not causing harm to anyone else then each to their own in my view.

I can fully understand how seaside homeowners would rather not see a row of Motorhomes blocking their view, or a Local beauty spot that is totally overrun and these are not places I would consider suitable, but there are places out there where an occasional self contained overnight stop does no harm and waking up to the deserted beach/lake/moorland whatever can be absolutely magical.

There are campsites we use but they tend to be the wide open park where you like ones - Shell Island, Linden Top etc.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
What's wrong with a car park if it is where you want to be, next to a lovely view etc? We're currently at Stranraer next to the Lifeboats building in a small parking area, the beach is about 10ft away and we've got lovely views

I am not having a go Mjnxy but isn’t this the issue ‘a small car oark’ and lovely views, what happens when it becomes more popular 2 3 4 Motorhomes turn up and stay. And the locals can’t park ? I’m sure your respectful and it’s only yourselves but this is what is driving locals to distraction.

so I have been watching the various water craft activities this afternoon sitting on the beach

Isn’t this another form of curtain twitching? We all do it campsite or not. (Apologies I know I’m annoying)

We could easily afford to use expensive campsites if we wanted but we simply prefer not to be regimented and being ogled by curtain twitching campers. We much prefer the freedom our 'off site' parking gives us.
It’s a choice but with so many parking up it’s not surprising that sometimes councils want to prohibit such freedoms

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Scarborough thought that this was a problem several years ago and wanted to ban MH parking along Marine Parade etc, because it blocked people’s view. I, like many others, pointed out that there weren’t any houses there and I was quite surprised when Scarborough agreed to allow parking and even installed the chemical toilet facilities.

Sadly it does seem to have degenerated into a free for all situation and other visitors are being denied access. A simple solution would be to colour code every third parking space and only allow MHs to stay on those. PNCs for anyone using other places.

Gordon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As long as they re not causing harm to anyone else then each to their own in my view.

I can fully understand how seaside homeowners would rather not see a row of Motorhomes blocking their view, or a Local beauty spot that is totally overrun and these are not places I would consider suitable, but there are places out there where an occasional self contained overnight stop does no harm and waking up to the deserted beach/lake/moorland whatever can be absolutely magical.

There are campsites we use but they tend to be the wide open park where you like ones - Shell Island, Linden Top etc.
We were riding around Coniston water a few days ago and there was an old Merc camper and a car pitched up in a passing place, looked like it had been there a long time as well :unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am not having a go Mjnxy but isn’t this the issue ‘a small car oark’ and lovely views, what happens when it becomes more popular 2 3 4 Motorhomes turn up and stay. And the locals can’t park ? I’m sure your respectful and it’s only yourselves but this is what is driving locals to distraction.
The car park is well away from the main residential areas and the few locals have their own parking, the ones who tend to use it are just dog walkers and there's plenty of parking on the road so it's not an issue. We were in the larger car parks with lots of spaces until mid afternoon so haven't clogged it up all day. If we thought it would be a problem we wouldn't use it and haven't added it to P4N so as not to have it overrun with MHs etc.
Isn’t this another form of curtain twitching? We all do it campsite or not.
I'm watching them in a public leisure area, not them watching me on a campsite.
(Apologies I know I’m annoying)
😄
It’s a choice but with so many parking up it’s not surprising that sometimes councils want to prohibit such freedoms
Oh I get that which is why we tend to avoid them if we can but you can't always help it if you're parked up and a load more arrive in the evening as happend to us last night, consequently we're moving on today.

It hasn't helped that the council have been supposedly refurbishing the toilet block with a good chunk of the carpark blocked off whilst they do so, trouble is they've been doing it for many months but it's still just a shell so haven't a clue why it's taking so long, none of the locals have a clue why either.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We were riding around Coniston water a few days ago and there was an old Merc camper and a car pitched up in a passing place, looked like it had been there a long time as well :unsure:
Yes there are too many of these around. IMO the "VanLife" videos dont help this situation.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Why, considering that our VED level is substantially higher than most cars, should we be precluded from using car parks that are available to Joe Public. We are, or at least a majority of us, a PLG class like all the cars. The fact that we have tea-making and on-board toilet facilities is an irrelevance.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Why, considering that our VED level is substantially higher than most cars, should we be precluded from using car parks that are available to Joe Public. We are, or at least a majority of us, a PLG class like all the cars. The fact that we have tea-making and on-board toilet facilities is an irrelevance.
Stop it ! We want them on campsites .
More room for us

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Well

Isn’t this another form of curtain twitching? We all do it campsite or not. (Apologies I know I’m annoying)

Well Said

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
No amount of restrictions will EVER make me use a campsite. I'll park on a street outside someone's house first. If all the motorhomes and campers parking in carparks start doing that let's see how they deal with that. Are they going to ban motorhomes from parking in the street next? I don't think so.

They don't solve the problem by restrictions they simply move it elsewhere.
You should try campsites you might like it!:rolleyes:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The car park is well away from the main residential areas and the few locals have their own parking, the ones who tend to use it are just dog walkers and there's plenty of parking on the road so it's not an issue. We were in the larger car parks with lots of spaces until mid afternoon so haven't clogged it up all day. If we thought it would be a problem we wouldn't use it and haven't added it to P4N so as not to have it overrun with MHs etc.

I'm watching them in a public leisure area, not them watching me on a campsite.

😄

Oh I get that which is why we tend to avoid them if we can but you can't always help it if you're parked up and a load more arrive in the evening as happend to us last night, consequently we're moving on today.

It hasn't helped that the council have been supposedly refurbishing the toilet block with a good chunk of the carpark blocked off whilst they do so, trouble is they've been doing it for many months but it's still just a shell so haven't a clue why it's taking so long, none of the locals have a clue why either.
Totally understand 'its not me its them' but of course its actually all of us that get caught in the net of opinion

Oh and to ask isn't a campsite a public leisure area...a harbour is managed by a harbour authority who will charge launch fees, mooring fees and many since lockdown ask for a small watercraft license as their jurisdiction extends outside large area outside of the harbour so its not exactly a public space ... ;) its still people watching

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Totally understand 'its not me its them' but of course its actually all of us that get caught in the net of opinion

Oh and to ask isn't a campsite a public leisure area...a harbour is managed by a harbour authority who will charge launch fees, mooring fees and many since lockdown ask for a small watercraft license as their jurisdiction extends outside large area outside of the harbour so its not exactly a public space ... ;) its still people watching
I thought campsites were private areas and that's why you have to pay to enter

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes there are too many of these around. IMO the "VanLife" videos dont help this situation.
And if you speak to the vanlifers in any country they can't understand why the "big white whale " owners don't use campsites and not park in all the carparks etc that small campers do.

For every motorhome owner on here that point the finger at vanlifers there's a vanlifer pointing the finger at people with big expensive motorhomes.

And in some ways I can see there point . A lot of the old smaller vans etc cant afford to use campsites, others are fulltimers some of which live in a van cause its all they can afford.

But when they see motorhomes worth £100k plus parked up they think why aren't they using paid places.

End of the day it's all people judging other people.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I thought campsites were private areas and that's why you have to pay to enter
The public is allowed in to a privately owned site. Parking can also be chargeable to the public paying or not paying does not give you privacy in the main.

Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 2017
Is all well Minxy ?
You’ve gone surprisingly quiet for you ……..😉xx

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is all well Minxy ?
You’ve gone surprisingly quiet for you ……..😉xx
😄

Yup, just been chilling in both senses of the word though to be fair we've had a bit of sunshine today but still quite breezy. We've also been busy shopping and raiding Asda and Morrisons short life reduced food shelves so we got a nice big apple pie, 12 cheese scones, cooked chicken breasts, thighs, and other stuff most of it paid for by gift vouchers from Vodafone! 😃

We just have to work out in which order and how often we're gonna devour it all before it goes off!!! 😳

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
😄

Yup, just been chilling in both senses of the word though to be fair we've had a bit of sunshine today but still quite breezy. We've also been busy shopping and raiding Asda and Morrisons short life reduced food shelves so we got a nice big apple pie, 12 cheese scones, cooked chicken breasts, thighs, and other stuff most of it paid for by gift vouchers from Vodafone! 😃

We just have to work out in which order and how often we're gonna devour it all before it goes off!!! 😳
Feckin immigrants comin up ere stealing our food 🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back