A letter to clubs about site prices (2 Viewers)

Are you are member of large Camping Clubs

• CAMC Caravan and Motorhome Club

• CCC Camping and Caravanning Club

• Both

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 19, 2014
edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 694
Exp
since 2004
There are some minor perks like the 20% discount in Mountain Warehouse for CAMC members. So if you spent about £275 in there your discount would cover your CAMC annual membership. Probably unlikely thata many members would spend that much but it's a way of getting some of your fee back if you buy a coat, walking boots etc. I think you can get a supermarket discount card as well but we already have one of those through my wife's trade union
I only pay for my membership if the discounts I can get warrent the fee. the minimal discounts on site fees are not enough enough for the few sites I use each year

Reactions: f6c
Feb 17, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Burnster T690
Exp
Since 2017
Member of both last year but have cancelled renewal for CAMC as cant justify paying for both when only using few UK CL/CS sites each year. Being member of just one club gets us the MH offers we need and other offers we get with NHS discount scheme so not worth being member of both.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I will not ever use a caravan and motorhome site there single handedly Stop me touring the uk ,I don’t want a toilet block or electric and i will not park to there bloody peg getting out onto the hedge ,iI know I can use C L sites but it cheaper for me to have 90 days in Europe .

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have been members of the CAMC for years, the sites are well placed and used to be reasonable for a city centre stay. Now they are too expensive! We joined CCC last year and have been surprised at how much cheaper they are. They offer discounts for 60+ and good % off for none electric pitches. For instance I am paying £12 a night for Boroughbridge site in July! I know not a city one but a nice site. So I will def stay a member of CCC but not sure about the other one. Not good value and should offer none electric pitches.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Just makes justifying the £190 ferry crossing with free stops, cheap wine and something interesting within walking distance much easier. If the UK prices were more competitive then I'd think about compromising on some of these.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay PVC
Exp
Since 2014
We are off here for the Bank Holiday weekend so can’t grumble at CMC prices .

I always predicted a financial reckoning would have to be paid for the pandemic and we have it in all its glory everywhere .
When you look at what's included, entry to the village for two (£17 each on the gate) EHU, grey and black water disposal, use of pool etc etc, the price isn't that bad. We spent several hours there but wouldn't stay as no dogs are allowed. Pic from the view point after a walk through the woods
IMG-20230426-WA0002.jpg

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We were going to go to the CAMC site at Cirencester (which is a lovely site and a short walk into the park) last week until I found out it was £38/night, just too expensive and its not even high season yet. Seriously thinking about weather to ditch our membership this year.
We will be there in 2 weeks and unfortunately everything is expensive so private sites won’t be any cheaper

Aug 11, 2021
Brading, UK
Funster No
MH
Eldis Envy 185
Exp
Since 2019
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
Hello Jim,
The main reason we joined the ccc was because they offer half price on Wightlink ferries.
As Isle of Wight residents this makes it more affordable but nevertheless still expensive!
We tend to use the smaller certificated sites here on the island.
All the best
Kim x

Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
The biggest problem with both clubs is accountants are running the show maximum profits charge higher wkend charge higher if something is on in that area. I’ve jacked in the camc and only use ccc for rallies and Ths . I won’t support them anymore 🤷‍♂️

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
sort of an aside folks.

we are members of CCC. The membership etc is in my name and I am 57. My wife gets joint membership, well gets her own card etc. She is over 60. So does the old fogy discount apply in anyway shape of form ?

Feb 24, 2022
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T620G
Exp
Actually start, 01/03/22
Have been a member of CCC since tenting with the kids, now, having a MH, which is our ‘respite-care, ( looking after wife’s Mother and aunt-both with dementia), Me personally, use anEHC with water etc, so appreciate the cost to me for the convenience. My wife and I can only get away if we sort out all the medical/doctors/dental/chiropody appointments tablets etc beforehand. Then book a site. Can recommend Back of Beyond in Dorset.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
couple of weeks ago after a family gathering we thought a few nights in Malvern on the way home would be good.

Was a TAD surprising that the CCC site adjacent to the CMC site was more expensive than the CMC site EVEN after appling the senior discount.

Would also ask the clubs if a discount could be applied at both clubs as, post covid we do not use any site facilities! Happy to use our van.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The problem is not the current pricing... It's us.
We're hardwired to want historical pitch fees, what we considered to be good value a decade or more ago.

I remember for a long while I thought a fortnight package holiday on the Costas shouldn't be more than £300
Even if the real cost was nearer a grand.

So the world has moved on from £5-£10 CL's and £20 for a full facilities site.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
sort of an aside folks.

we are members of CCC. The membership etc is in my name and I am 57. My wife gets joint membership, well gets her own card etc. She is over 60. So does the old fogy discount apply in anyway shape of form ?
Your wife can get the discount but think you'll need to wait until you reach 60. She'll need proof of age when you get to site so that the card can be stamped ACR then on renewal it will come through automatically.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We're hardwired to want historical pitch fees, what we considered to be good value a decade or more ago.

I remember for a long while I thought a fortnight package holiday on the Costas shouldn't be more than £300

I think there is some truth in this. Especially for those of us of a certain age. It applies to other things as well where you think you are paying a lot, but not really.
However I do think the CAMC prices are a bit extreme. They don’t offer age discount, they say they don’t agree with it; there are quite a lot of reports of poor quality toilet blocks; they put up prices to cope with energy price rises, but the reduction in fees on the sites where they are trialling electricity meters is minimal. Their pricing structure is excessively complex.
I do think that the change to deposits and the poor web site is encouraging people to be more critical and look elsewhere. Quite a lot of CL reviews express surprise and delight at what is available, I suspect more are trying CLs.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We know that most of us, whether club members or not are broadly in agreement about pitch fee increases

But I wonder if we on MHF are an enthusiastic minority of the camping fraternity.
Do tuggers significantly out number vanners?

My personal experience is that the CAMC changes has dampened demand for the their sites.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back

Possibly, hence why many of us have deserted the UK to go to Europe, where, mysteriously, they haven't had the same level of price increases......

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Possibly, hence why many of us have deserted the UK to go to Europe, where, mysteriously, they haven't had the same level of price increases......
But increases nonetheless

And in the UK you can still find excellent fees and in Europe can be equally expensive if certain posters are to be believed.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
No club site is worth £40 a night. Pure greedand they know there are people who are gullible enough to pay it there is no genuine reason to justify any of the increases we've seen over the past 4 years but as long as people will pay they will charge more year on year......just sayin...
Location, location, location.

Oct 18, 2021
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Newbie!
We are new to motorhoming and waited a long time to get our van. We are currently on a 3 week Wales trip and have been really surprised at how expensive pitch fees are. The most expensive being the one we are currently in at over £40 a night with the cmc discount but we wanted to hike Snowden and its location allowed us to walk from site. We are leaving day early though as don't like it's 'busy' location. One of our best stays was on a farm a CL, no electric hook up £17 a night (Inc dog!) bargain and fantastic rural location! The majority have been in the £30's...we didn't know how long we could last on battery & solar so we were tested it out with 3 nights stays without but now we know we can last ages will try and find more sites without!

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Your wife can get the discount but think you'll need to wait until you reach 60. She'll need proof of age when you get to site so that the card can be stamped ACR then on renewal it will come through automatically.
thanks denisejoe, will ask when next on a clubsite. Thats useful to know. Every little bit helps

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
But increases nonetheless

And in the UK you can still find excellent fees and in Europe can be equally expensive if certain posters are to be believed.
Oooh, one or two euros...per night...As per my original post, increase of 16 euros to 17 euros, Dormans, Champagne; San Marino, 24 euros to 26 euros... I prefer to have evidence rather than listen to hearsay.....the UK is a total rip off compared to the excellent sites you can find in Europe, who seem not to find it necessary to exploit their customers in the way that seems to be permissable and accepted in the UK.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are new to motorhoming and waited a long time to get our van. We are currently on a 3 week Wales trip and have been really surprised at how expensive pitch fees are. The most expensive being the one we are currently in at over £40 a night with the cmc discount but we wanted to hike Snowden and its location allowed us to walk from site. We are leaving day early though as don't like it's 'busy' location. One of our best stays was on a farm a CL, no electric hook up £17 a night (Inc dog!) bargain and fantastic rural location! The majority have been in the £30's...we didn't know how long we could last on battery & solar so we were tested it out with 3 nights stays without but now we know we can last ages will try and find more sites without!
Given where you live and at the risk of sounding boring, as this has been said before umpteen times on here, get the ferry across to France where you will find posh aires with EHU for around £12 a night and others, mostly without the EHU costing nothing or at most a couple of Euros. For a three week trip you will more than pay for the cost of the ferry from the savings in campsite costs.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Oooh, one or two euros...per night...As per my original post, increase of 16 euros to 17 euros, Dormans, Champagne; San Marino, 24 euros to 26 euros... I prefer to have evidence rather than listen to hearsay.....the UK is a total rip off compared to the excellent sites you can find in Europe, who seem not to find it necessary to exploit their customers in the way that seems to be permissable and accepted in the UK.
Same old arguments europhiles always use conveniently ignoring the time, distances and costs of crossing the channel & driving hundreds of miles to get to these cheap sites.

Also conveniently forgetting there are many places in the UK one can overnight for free, or for just a few pounds.

But it's okay.
No one's choice is "best"
It doesn't have to be a competition, EU vs UK.
Long live freedom of choice

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
A number of people who frequented the tea tent at the Newbury Show were commenting on the rise in pitch fees. I don't stop on many sites so can't really comment.

If this is the case I thought I'd write to the two big clubs and try and get some reasoning for this. I know we have some wages inflation as well as higher electricity costs, but I suspect, like a lot of industries there might be a bit of "Greedflation" in their prices.

To give my letter some legitimacy it would be nice to know what proportion of our membership are their members, so please choose an option above.

Also can you let us know about some of the increases you have seen. Thanks
I’ve left both Clubs this year and not missing them and I’m sure they aren’t missing me .

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
One of the big problem for motorhomers is that CAMC sites, with a few exceptions, are generally in the middle of nowhere and far from a realistic bus service. You are therefore doomed to trying to find parking when visiting somewhere or restricted to a walkable radius from the site. Aires in Europe are close to where you want to be so why would I pay big money for facs I don't need to be somewhere I don't want to be?

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Been a member of CAMC for 23 years but only use a small number of sites. If they didn’t have Rowntree park open in the winter probably wouldn’t bother as can find alternatives for others cheaper. In the last few years it’s become more take than give & the introduction of metered electric will be the final straw for many winter campers.
Rowntree , you can do much better than that imho , try Cherry Tree Cottage site just a short cheap bus ride and surrounded by fields not gravel.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
We live on a (relatively) crowded little island, that costs a fair bit of cash to leave via tunnel or ferry. Europe is large and (relatively) much less densely populated. All in, its not a surprise sites are more expensive here. Throw a post-Covid boom in campervanning/motorhoming and 18 months of double digit inflation into the mix, and prices are bound to be up.

The two big clubs are businesses - there's nothing wrong with that, other than a bit of sharp marketing in using the word "club" in the title to imply some form of customer ownership or stake in the business.

On the bright side - hopefully farms and small businesses in Britain will move to exploit the gap in the market, with more and more simple and good value CL's

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back