Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Hi everyone
We are currently parked at Shrewsbury after fitting in what seems like a week of things into 1 day.
The list includes

A meeting in Manchester
A site visit and measure in manchester
A pick up of wheel studs from a trailer company in Chester
A supermarket top up of silly things food wise which are sometimes difficult to find in continental Europe.
A filling at the dentist in Middlewich
A missed delivery of a new rim for a trailer
A conversation with rim supplier as the DHL app won't work
A conversation with farmer Jeff where I store some trailers, he's going to swap my tyre and fit the new rim (great relief)
2 pints of delicious Butty Bach beer In a local pub near to our sleepy spot
A well needed meal at Hickorys smokehouse
Waking up 2 hours ago thinking to myself I hope DHL find the farm/storage next time

Not too bad a start but it did seem as we deserved the beer and food last night, it should be a decent drive today to the camc site next to Folkestone.
We are looking forward to this trip as it seems we have been in the uk too long over this summer.
This was due to family time which is always nice and a bit of dental work that was overdue.
We decided to use the chunnel which does seem to have gotten quite pricy but when I gave Phil the options he insisted on tunnel even when I would have been happy with irish ferries.
Looking forward to a easy time in france with no set path just sticking to the east side as we are off to Dusseldorf salon to view electric bikes and other bits we need.
We may call into Luxembourg as its been over 5 years since we where last there and possibly the mosel region again, not sure we will see where the wind blows.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Further on Tirol, this is the Serfaus-Fiss-Landis website https://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/en/Live/Webcams

Serfaus is a traffic free village with a cable hauled train (funicular) running below ground through the village. Home to European royal families, and film stars.

Stay down in the Inn valley (Inntall) at Prutz, Ried on the river Inn side sites.

Take a drive up to Kaunertal for a day out. Take the chairlift to the gap and look over 3 countries. https://www.kaunertal.com/en/Your-kaunertal/In-Summer/Glacier-Road-Glacier-Park

Pop up to Sanaun for duty free fuel and stuff.

Pop into Italy for pizza.

Another valley is the Ortztall with Solden at the top.

Well worth a visit.

Use the Fernpass, a low level one https://www.tirol.gv.at/verkehr/str.../webcams-bezirk-reutte/b-179-fernpassstrasse/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Further on Tirol, this is the Serfaus-Fiss-Landis website https://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/en/Live/Webcams

Serfaus is a traffic free village with a cable hauled train (funicular) running below ground through the village. Home to European royal families, and film stars.

Stay down in the Inn valley (Inntall) at Prutz, Ried on the river Inn side sites.

Take a drive up to Kaunertal for a day out. Take the chairlift to the gap and look over 3 countries. https://www.kaunertal.com/en/Your-kaunertal/In-Summer/Glacier-Road-Glacier-Park

Pop up to Sanaun for duty free fuel and stuff.

Pop into Italy for pizza.

Another valley is the Ortztall with Solden at the top.

Well worth a visit.

Use the Fernpass, a low level one https://www.tirol.gv.at/verkehr/str.../webcams-bezirk-reutte/b-179-fernpassstrasse/
Thank you that's very kind.🙂

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Go on then. A snapshot of what to expect may be nice.
Mecklenburg is the German lake district, Its a flat area not like ours (Fells and mountains not the lake in on a slope, but if it was you could go water skiing!) but there are steamer type trips, Chateaux type residences and rather posh pads around the lakesides, The Baltic coast round Rugen is stunning , white sands etc and the Hansa Towns are full of character, however like most of Germany they were rebuilt after the war, Dresden is worth a trip for the city , and then on to Austria/Southern Germany

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We are about to leave Unkel after a very restful sleep, it's a nice quaint village/town.
We are heading to Decathlon to check out there bikes in store, if that's a bust I know we can get a more expensive cube bike at lucky bikes a bit further down the rhine.
20240905_100905.jpg
20240905_101248.jpg
20240905_101503.jpg
20240905_101958.jpg
20240905_102134.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Cube is much better then anything Declathon, even better would be to buy a Gazelle👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We bought them from

Bicycle Bicycle XXL Franz GmbH
Fahrrad XXL Franz Mülheim-Kärlich

Yes I did just copy and paste the name 😃.

They where next door to decathlon and we only realised after driving past, they didn't come up on my Google search.
What a fabulous shop with an internal bike track so you can try before you buy.
We are on the local stellplatz at Urmitz perfect location right on the Rhine River although we don't have a river view it does the job.
We pick up our bikes tommorow at 3pm. We have already checked they fit in the garage as they allowed us to check with the shop floor bikes beforehand.
20240905_133711.jpg
20240905_133721.jpg
20240905_144448.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Mecklenburg is the German lake district, Its a flat area not like ours (Fells and mountains not the lake in on a slope, but if it was you could go water skiing!) but there are steamer type trips, Chateaux type residences and rather posh pads around the lakesides, The Baltic coast round Rugen is stunning , white sands etc and the Hansa Towns are full of character, however like most of Germany they were rebuilt after the war, Dresden is worth a trip for the city , and then on to Austria/Southern Germany
I'd stick with Cube... Decathlon clothing isn't bad but Cube are good bikes. Mine is a Ribble btw so no bias on my part.

Edit: I see you have already bought them, thank heaven I didn't say they are rubbish. A 50% discount makes them a no brainer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
A spot came up closer to the river with a view so we have decided to stay here for a few more days. This does mean it's a boring hours walk after lunch to get the bikes and then ride them back to base.
We will now have river cycling lanes to use both ways and although we have done Koblenz it's still nice to see where the rivers meet (pictures tommorow)

20240906_092039.jpg

20240906_094124.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
A spot came up closer to the river with a view so we have decided to stay here for a few more days. This does mean it's a boring hours walk after lunch to get the bikes and then ride them back to base.
We will now have river cycling lanes to use both ways and although we have done Koblenz it's still nice to see where the rivers meet (pictures tommorow)

View attachment 945284

View attachment 945285
We really liked Koblenz.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We did as well, I must have been either tired or feeling flush as we stayed on the campsite 😁
Still flush after buying a new vehicle and bikes, wow. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: To be fair the stelplatz, just outside is very nice, but popular if I recall. Plus that campsite is in a perfect location.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Still flush after buying a new vehicle and bikes, wow. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: To be fair the stelplatz, just outside is very nice, but popular if I recall. Plus that campsite is in a perfect location.
You misunderstand we are on a €10 stellplatz, I can't afford the campsite now 😁😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We are now back at the stellplatz with the bikes, they are fantastic except the sat nav bit froze up, I think I hadn't registered everything fully on the app. We will go for a ride tommorow to check it out fully.
Ended up spending a few hundred more euros on a side pack for each bike that turns into a backpack and 2 heavy duty chains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
We are now back at the stellplatz with the bikes, they are fantastic except the sat nav bit froze up, I think I hadn't registered everything fully on the app. We will go for a ride tommorow to check it out fully.
Ended up spending a few hundred more euros on a side back for each bike that turns into a backpack and 2 heavy duty chains.
We don't believe you without pics :rolleyes: (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Just charging the batteries up now, one off the garage plug with my toothbrush/shaver converter plug and one of the coffee machine plug as this is still the original german plug. We will get another shaver/toothbrush plug when we are back in the uk or pick a German to English travel plug whilst in germany.
20240906_174152.jpg

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Mülheim-Kärlich !!!

I went there on an exchange trip when I was 17.

Apart from getting completely sozzled due to a beer boot drinking game, the thing I remember most is all the locals we were with crossing over the village border, saying "now we are in Mülheim, and now we are in Kärlich" :LOL:

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Ended up spending a few hundred more euros on a side pack for each bike that turns into a backpack and 2 heavy duty chains.
The extras always mount up don't they..... hang on, your bike has a satnav?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Don't know if you've given consideration to storing the fancy new e-bikes (very nice btw) for travelling.

I use 2 toast rack stands like these https://www.bisonproducts.co.uk/products/1-bike-toast-rack & https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/mpart_...aJuO4YhSlNXpkoBqp_75C4FsY2kPPChAaAl5VEALw_wcB 1 for each rear wheel. Put bikes in head to tail, link the saddle posts with a false crossbar, this one https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/bike-frame-adaptor-bar-for-bike-rack/_/R-p-328787 that keeps the bikes stable, then use bungees to in floor eyes and cabinet edges.

The below image is 1 bike with both toast racks as I was delivering the MH to a workshop and cycling home. But gives you an image rather than words. I leave the toast racks in the MH garage as they are light, especially the plastic one.

HTH
tempImagegRDenP.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Well the sat nav part which comes with the bike is pretty dire.
It failed, so I took charge and ended up going over the big bridge in Koblenz on the car section not the bike section, bum clenching time.
We found a nice spot on the river in Koblenz for lunch
It was delightful and delicious.
We are now safely back at the stellplatz coming back the correct way.
Oh and there was a car boot on at the river side in the city, like we need more bits and bobs just sent a load to the auction house we have stored for the last 7 years.
20240907_130838.jpg
20240907_131716.jpg
20240907_124957.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread